Duke fan wrote a letter about being mistreated at Miami

One of the blue-clad young ladies in the photo above is Michelle Picon, a Duke graduate/Miami grad student who felt compelled to write a letter about her evening in the BankUnited Center last week for the Hurricanes’ whoopin’ over the Duke Blue Devils.  Michelle and a handful of her friends believe they were mistreated while sitting in the Miami student section, where they wore Duke gear.  At the Miami home game.  Against Duke.  Duke, then the No. 1 team in the country.  Shocking!

Michelle accused school administrators of preventing her group from making it to the front of the student section — No way! — and she said the undergraduate students around her were immature — Get outta here! — and used profane language in their chants and taunts.  Appalling!

Needless to say, such spiteful actions would never be used against any graduate students at Duke (or any other self-respecting university), regardless of their previous educational or athletic allegiance. Halfway through the berating, the Dean of Students switched tactics entirely, encouraging us to report any instances of abuse at the hands of the drunken, fratty undergraduate mob. I’m unsure if his intentions were to atone for his embarrassing behavior thus far, or merely to buy more time for students to pass us in line to the stadium. Regardless, he showed only mild surprise when we told him that the fluffy pathetic Hurricane mascot had already picked a piece of pizza up off the ground and thrown it at us, followed shortly by the empty box.

“At least our Blue Devils have class,” she wrote.

Wait, what?

It’s one of the Dukiest things you’ll ever read.

[Duke Chronicle: I found Duke basketball pride amid Hurricane hatred]

Article written by Drew Franklin

53 Comments for Duke fan wrote a letter about being mistreated at Miami

1. American Pie
    2:29 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

She looks like she misplaced her flute.

2. Dr Steve Brule
    2:31 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Chick on the far right. For your health!

3. snarkste
    2:31 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Who would have thought that anyone would treat the best looking women in the entire dUKe fanbase in such a crass and vulgur manner? At least no one tried to put a feedbag on their faces.

4. Blue
    2:32 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Perhaps someone should remind her of a Duke chant calling an opposing player “Orphan!” after both of his parents were killed. I almost feel like this letter should be on The Onion, it wreaks of so much satire.

5. Rusty Pipes
    2:34 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I bet the girl in the middle gobbled up that piece of pizza that was thrown.

6. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    2:36 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

5 – I thought that was a little boy.

7. Big Blue Fan
    2:39 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Thats the same girls that entertain the football recruits.

8. pohlcat1
    2:43 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Her eggs are even pretentious. God bless the fellow that dares deal with that the rest of his life!

9. Reality
    2:49 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t we cancel the home and home with IU because of a similar issue where one of our alums, and Playboy models (one of the ugliest ever), complained and then we canceled the home and home? So, no need to pile on another school here.

IU still sucks!

10. theWilkman
    2:49 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Weren’t UK fans bitching about the same stuff after we lost to IU last year?

11. Try again
    2:52 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

That same playboy model also got trampled… Including a nearly broke ankle. Not quite the same. Our fans were physically abused not subject to “immature behavior”. This is 3 hurt girls who werenpissed because all night guys were telling them how fugly they are. Physical>Verbal. All day

12. RICK
    2:53 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

No, Touching with hands went on during the IU game, not the same thing.

13. oh dear
    2:56 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

seriously? a nearly broke ankle? haha.

14. kjdwfn
    2:58 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

“At least our Blue Devil,” meaning the mascot, not “At least our Blue Devils….”

15. theWilkman
    3:09 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Either physical or verbal, you deserve what you get if you wear an opposing #1 team’s colors in the underdog’s student section. Learn to handle it or don’t go

16. afidler
    3:11 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

actually it said:

“At least our Blue Devil has class.”

Yes, that’s right, at least our MASCOT has class. Sigh. Dukies…

17. The Milkman
    3:12 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

While this seems to be at a much, much lower level of rude behavior, I do think it’s at least a similar enough situation to ours (at IU), that we shouldn’t be making fun of it. I’m sure it made things seem a lot worse for them since they were getting absolutely mauled, beaten, broken, man-handled, beaten down, stepped on, drilled, just flat out getting the poopie squeezed out them on the floor.

18. Big Whoop
    3:12 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

One question poll:

Question: Does Douche and Duke rhyme?

Answer: No, but….(choose only one)

1) they should.

2) they are the same.

19. Mike Nifong
    3:18 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Has anyone seen an attractive female Duke student? Ever? It’s no wonder why their lacrosse team resorts to hiring prostitutes, allegedly.

20. bakertom09
    3:19 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? You want to go there after UK fans whined like little girls after the IU game last year? Plus, isn’t it a bit too easy making fun of female graduate students from Duke? First we have to put up with a War & Peace length live blog of The Bachelor every week and now this? I think Matt needs to check into purchasing some of this for the staff: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/goalanabolic.htm

21. Try again
    3:19 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

13) If you were referring to the spelling my bad. I know its broken not broke, iphone keyboards :p. but if you dont believe the nearly broken ankle part try a sprained ankle along with torn tendons. Point is still worse than heckling some duke dykes!

22. TheRealGabeDadi
    3:24 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

She’s a grad student? She looks like she’s 17. She’s probably just mad because Duke was embarrassed, and the fact that she’s extremely unattractive.

23. SaratogaCatsFan
    3:27 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Who gives a rats ass about girls from PUKE?

24. SaratogaCatsFan
    3:28 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I just took a second look at the picture…..I will bet anything that those two “dudes” behind her got railed on far more than they did.

25. TheRealGabeDadi
    3:29 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

25) Ugly nerds from Duke.

26. Uvel's estrogen levels
    3:30 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

22 how does that stuff work? Uvel wouldn’t know about being harrassed at an opponents arena because you don’t leave the friendly confines of the bucket until after the first of the year!

27. sean
    3:32 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

couldnt have been as bad as my experiance wearing blue in louisvilles student section this year

28. Logan
    3:33 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

1. Every UK game I have been to, there has been trash talk with the other fans. At no point have I seen a group of UK fans verbally assault or physical assault a person rooting for the other team.
    2. I have also saw UK fans take up for people cheering for the other team when some UK fans took it too far. When I say too far I mean that the UK fan just wouldn’t shut up.
    3. This is nothing… I repeat…. NOTHING like [email protected]!!! People being spit on, punches thrown at fans, and yes even pushed over to get to the court.

If you want to cheer for your team on the road, then do it. As long as the taunts are done with some class and you root for your team then it’s all good. I hope UK never goes back to AH because of the crap they pulled on us. I’m still pissed about it (nothing to do with the outcome). The best part of the whole IU thing is that I have friends who attended the ELITE 8 game, and IU fans started in thinking they were going to punk UK fans out…haha what they didn’t know was that UK fans at Rupp are a different breed than what is at tourney games. I had to get that off my chest. I know it was a rant…but screw Clappy Creen and IU. Miami should be ashamed for treating other fans with no respect , Duke or not it was some classless crap. Hell even UK let a UT fan sit front row in the student section. It’s sports not life or death you tools.

29. Logan
    3:34 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

And I forgot… GO BIG BLUE

30. Big Whoop
    3:36 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Nice posture jersey 31. My bet she’s the one who complained. She probably complains every time she looks in the mirror.

31. Will S
    3:38 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I’ll admit, if you’re going into enemy territory, especially as the #1 team in the land (not to mention you’re Duke), and you have the nerve to sit in the student section– you have it coming, and you should expect it.

But I also remember last year when BBN went on, and on, and on about how disgraceful the IU fans were towards UK fans/players alike. Pretty much the same situation. She just handled it in a very Duke way (writing letter to the Chronicle).

It’s also fair to say Duke has one of the worst looking female undergrad populations, but it’s nothing lost on the players– they steal all the UNC/NC State girls. Curry is dating a UNC dance team member right now. Also, when your school requires a 4.5 GPA and 1500+ SAT scores, you’re not likely to get a ton of attractive women, or good football players.

32. TheRealGabeDadi
    3:40 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Every time someone or something pisses me off, I’m writing a letter.

33. MC
    3:47 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#33. See post #30

34. dave
    3:50 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

21-no, they definitely hire the prostitutes. what’s alleged is what those prostitutes were doing with brooms & what not

35. Will S
    3:54 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

35) I saw it. The point is, UK was mistreated at Assembly Hall and they complained. Apparently, these Duke students were mistreated in Coral Gables and they complained. The only difference is the Duke student wrote an extremely articulate and carefully constructed letter to a prominent Duke newsletter, whereas BBN just complained on twitter and maybe here on KSR.

Nothing wrong with either approach, just different, and thus neither side has ground to stand on when trying to make fun of the other. I don’t think anybody wants to be treated that way. The undergrad student section is one thing, but for the University Higher-Ups to join in, is ridiculous. But whatever, I probably did the same thing when I was in school.

36. Unranked
    3:55 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Meagan Dills is a Playboy model like Drew Franklin is a journalist, but they both cried after the Indiana game.

37. mike
    4:02 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Entitled, ugly bitches from Duke think they should be treated better than masses because of their priviledge. Sandra Fluke would be proud.

38. MC
    4:12 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#37. I get what you’re saying. However, it is impossible for anyone to speak for an entire fan base. To say that a Duke fan wouldn’t taunt an opposing fan seems a little too naive. While I agree that there is some level of hypocricy with this I do think there is a big issue when verbal taunting becomes physical. Especially in a setting where one truly can’t respond properly. Based on her letter, I don’t think there is much of a comparison to the so called verbal taunting that she received (while wearing the opposing teams jersey in a student section) to UK fans at AH spread out throughout the arena complaining of abuses on a higher level. Don’t get me wrong, I have no respect for anyone that taunts or physically attacks a person while they are safely hidden in a group. You want to come after someone one-on-one or out of that comfort zone then whatever. She had to expect that she would be rediculed though in the student section in a big game while wearing the opposing teams jersey. She can’t be that naive. She probably anticipated that she’d be writing a letter such as this.

39. UK3K
    4:13 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

@Will S youre one of the few Duke fans that seem to be down to earth, but the problem I find with that article is not what she wrote about but the way she wrote it. Yes the situation is similar to IU last year, but this girl comes off as so stuck up and sensitive. “Our fans would never act like that” and she calls the madcot of a school shes attending as tge “fluffy pathetic Hurricane mascot”. The girl acts like Duke is this perfect little innocent victim and its one reason why I can stand fans of Duke.

40. Entitled ugly Bi-otches
    4:17 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Yes we are, wait what? No we’re not 40. Both UK and Duke fans know when they’re being harrassed…..Uvel people are too Stupid to realize it!

41. Bleedingblue
    4:22 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Follow the link and read the article. She absolutely got trashed in the comments section on the Duke website. Too funny!

42. Han
    4:26 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Because if we’re talking about obnoxious fans and teams, Duke would be nowhere on the list. Of course.

43. Big Blue 66
    4:28 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

and thats why, whenever possible, people abuse the rich, arrogant, think we should be treated differently ass*es from Duke…..should have toseed them on the court and trampled them until they left a permanent stain on the hardwood…….ok, the last part of that, while really graphic and cool was a bit much.

44. Someone
    4:30 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I bet the ugly one complained.

45. Big Blue 66
    4:32 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

48. that means its a toss up lol

46. Will S
    4:33 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

42, 43) Yeah I agree, she is complaining about something she definitely should’ve expected to happen. I mean, a slice of pizza thrown?! If that’s the worst she got, then she’s lucky. And yes, she does come off completely stuck up, but thats how most Duke kids are, unfortunately. Most come from extremely rich families and are extremely intelligent, which unfortunately results in many of them being conceited. She does sound like a big crybaby, for sure.

I will say, UNC students are MUCH more conceited. You should see how they throw around the term “flagship” as if NC St, Duke, Wake, ECU, UNCW, Charlotte, Davidson etc shouldn’t even bother existing.

47. Will S
    4:34 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t go to Duke and I’ve even encountered the occasional “you can’t be a Duke fan if you didn’t go to Duke” despite me living in the Triangle my entire life. None of that can make me like Coach K and my Blue Devils any less, though.

48. bakertom09
    4:56 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Will S, what you write in 50 is exactly why I only refer to them at UNC-CH or if talking to someone “Chapel Hill” just as I would “Wilmington” or “Greensboro or whatever. Having lived in NC for 12 years (1994-2006) I discovered a far greater evil than Duke existed there. Specifically, just a few miles west of Cameron.

49. BlueswadeI
    5:09 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Duke….
    This is why you suck!

50. KyJake
    5:42 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

As a UK undergrad alum that went to grad school at a rival (Tennessee), and showed up in a student section wearing the “wrong” colors, I think some of this letter has merit and most of it is whining. I do think it is inappropriate for the administration to restrict them from going to the game. They pay tuition, followed the rules to get in to the game, they should not be punished for wanting to support another team – whether the administration likes it or not. As I recall, wasn’t there a student in a bright orange t-shirt in the front row during the UK-UT game at Rupp? I’m sure folks weren’t happy about this, but I didn’t see the UK administration lecturing him or trying to run him off. However, the rest of this is utter dreck. If you show up in a student section in opposing fan gear, you’re going to get a fair amount of verbal abuse. Had the abuse turned physical in some way, I’d have a big problem with that. But, it doesn’t seem like it did (did the mascot actually hit them with the pizza?) Most of the comments that follow the letter express the fact that this kind of abuse happens in Cameron – I’d bet it happens almost anywhere, and it shouldn’t be unexpected. I was proud to wear my blue in the UT student section in my time there. I took a fair amount of verbal “abuse,” but knew I would, so I didn’t let it bother me. If you don’t have thick enough skin to ignore stuff like that, well then, I wouldn’t advise doing something like that. Duke may provide a good education, but apparently it didn’t provide them with the common sense to realize the type of taunting drunk, excited, college students would heap on them. It’s par for the course. Toughen up, or watch from home.

51. ukeith
    6:05 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I am a UK grad and I sneak into Dukes head section to watch games (duke fan ginger) and they are very nice to everyone. Unless you are wearing unc colors. Then they chant at you

52. Sheldon Cooper
    6:07 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I see right through this charade. The nerdy guy behind them put the Miami fans up to all this in hopes they would get their feelings hurt, need consoling, want to cuddle and maybe have coitus with him.

53. Tampa Satchel
    11:27 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I went to a UM v FSU football game in the 90’s and sat at the edge of the UM student section wearing an FSU jersey. We had our wives with us and some dumb drunk whipped his dick out and pissed in our beers. Needless to say none of us saw the end of the game, but thinking back if was pretty damn funny.

What is she whining about?