Duke Cornerback, Indiana Coach’s Son Facing Felony Battery Charge

HudMellencamp TySmith

In a great two-for-one story, college students affiliated with two of Kentucky’s rivals have gotten in trouble for the same college party-fight from a late July evening in Bloomington.

Hud, a walk-on cornerback at Duke, and Ty, son of the Indiana Hoosiers baseball coach, “are facing a single count of battery resulting in serious bodily injury, a Class C felony, stemming from a July 29 incident that left an unnamed male with facial fractures that required stitches and the attention of a plastic surgeon.”  Hud’s brother Speck was also involved in the altercation.

Feel bad for the guy who got jumped, but at least we can all agree that Duke and Indiana suck.

Bee tee dubs, the Duke player is Hud Mellencamp, son of the otherwise great John Mellencamp.  And now this music legend’s son is facing some serious blowback from what seems like a pretty vicious, angry crime.

Ain’t that America.

Article written by Corey Nichols

19 Comments for Duke Cornerback, Indiana Coach’s Son Facing Felony Battery Charge

1. JCM
    4:04 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

I fought authority and authority won.

2. UK
    4:12 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

The second picture looks like a Zeller

3. JDL
    4:13 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Years from now, when they see those guys they’ll just laugh and say “Do you remember when?”…

4. Jose Villarreal
    4:15 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

How does Matt Jones justify letting his “bloggers” trash his alma mater.
    If he loves UK so much, why didn’t he go to UK Law School? Instead he went to Dule. Actions speak louder than words.

5. JackB
    4:26 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#4 – obviously he didn’t get into UK Law. Higher standards you know.

6. All I know
    4:32 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#4 If I’m Dad and Mom Jones I’m pissed if I footed even a little bit of a Duke College of Law degree tuition bill when my son’s career could have been started with a communication degree from EKU.

7. shields eyes
    4:51 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

I know you were waiting for the end to identify the last name of Mellencamp but it would have been nice to give us Ty’s last name in there as well…

8. OffTheWall11
    5:08 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

What on earth is “bee tee dubs”? Is that some kind of ghetto way of saying “by the way”?

9. Bob
    5:21 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Wait, a Mellencamp going to Duke instead of IU?

10. barefootpirate
    5:26 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

“bee tee dubs”… wow, you suck

11. Steve Fitts
    5:35 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#4,#5,#6 – Matt Jones went to Duke Law School on an academic scholarship and he gained the analytical, communication, and critical thinking tools that make him a top-notch sports analyst. Stop pickin’ on Matt!

12. Weekly Reader
    5:38 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Corey Nichols, I’ve seen good and bad style and form in your writings and made no comment as you’re learning a craft and I respect that. I have read this post four times and garner no information other than “Duke and Indiana suck.”That’s hardly headline news and contributes noting to the facts of the story. The rest of the post is a study in incoherence. I trust you are a better writer than shown here.

13. Hal
    5:59 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

love the mellencamp responses to why they started the fight: speck “was upset about being punched and thought the unknown male lived there or was being hidden by the residents”
    so, he hits first guy he sees on the porch.
    and then hud blames everything on his brother even though he was seen in the fight. hoosiers……..

14. All I know
    6:17 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#11 thank you for that valuable info Mrs. Jones.

15. Matt Jones
    6:24 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Since the same two of you post so often about my Duke Law past (an IP search showcases one of you has done it 22 times), a quick tidbit. Duke is a top 10 law school that gave me a full scholarship. I went because of that….no offense to UK, but it would be silly not to take that.

Thankfully however, I found a career I find much more satisfying. At no point practicing law did I get a chance to have strangers talk about me in comment sections, while debating whether my parents are proud. What could be better.

And my mom’s last name is Blondell…but good try. That is all

16. eh
    9:49 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Bee tee dubs? Is this an ally Tucker post? /Wrists

17. wow..
    7:43 am August 18, 2013 Permalink

mellencamp kid looks like the biggest tool i have ever seen.

18. Billy Clyde
    9:51 am August 18, 2013 Permalink

Way to give it to them #15, if you really are Joney!!!!!!

19. Objection!
    11:39 am August 18, 2013 Permalink

Regardless of Jones’ law school experience and other silly questions raised in the comments, there are some fundamental problems with this article. First, I cannot begin to express how classless it is to mock the legal problems of young adults at rival schools. This practice is inexcusable and goes far beyond the pale of acceptable editorializing. On his radio show, Matt Jones commended Louisville fans for not creating a stir around the Michael Porter situation, and he was right to do so. Equally, he would have been within his rights to lambast Louisville fans had they made inappropriate comments following the verdict. I have always hoped and have mostly been vindicated in the hope that KSR maintains a certain level of integrity while presenting the news in “as ridiculous a manner as possible.” But, this is too much. The victim of this assault has had his life forever changed. One does not sustain facial fractures bad enough to require the services of a plastic surgeon and simply bounce back. This event will forever mar his collegiate experience, and Corey Nichols has chosen to mock the incident in the furtherance of his/her hit count and a school rivalry. I understand that Jones will most likely lack the courage to address these concerns as it is no doubt his policy to stand behind his writers regardless of their perfidy or insensitivity; however, as a member of the Big Blue Nation and a fan of KSR, I am saddened today by a true low blow and classless post.