Drew Barker is an Elite 11 Quarterback

drew barker

Big news from Oregon (a phrase I do not say a lot). Drew Barker has been named one of the Elite 11 Quarterbacks in the country after his QB finals camp this week. Barker got through the Regional competition and then finished 7th in the national final phase this weekend. It is a huge honor for Drew, who shares the designation with commitments to some of the best schools in the country. It is once again, another example of a UK football recruit doing it big and great news for a future Wildcat.

He is the first KSR writer to make the Elite 11 QB group since the great Evan Hilbert was tagged for the honor in 2008.

Article written by Matt Jones

26 Comments for Drew Barker is an Elite 11 Quarterback

1. First
    8:19 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

This guy is going to be a STAR!!! Can’t wait!

2. Good For Drew
    8:35 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Should raise him to a 5 star prospect. If we get Matt Elam on board and get two five star players then that would be special.

3. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    9:10 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Great job Drew!

4. Costa Rica
    9:12 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Quite an honor. Home-grown, 5-star QB. Congrats Drew.

5. Brent
    9:23 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

So does this mean he will be a part of the Elite11 tv show that ESPN airs? Or was that the show they just filmed and Drew finished 7th?

6. thats budda
    9:23 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

I live in N. Ky. and my schedule of Conner games to see just keeps getting longer and longer.

7. DrewFan
    9:34 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Congrats!! How lucky are we to have him? This kid is special! Watched a lot of it on ESPNU. Lots of good exposure for the BBN! Snodgrass also had a good showing. The future is bright my friends!

8. ReverendBlue
    9:38 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

This kid will be a program changer — not only because of his talent, but also because of his charisma and leadership. He will be a great face for the program and our recruiting efforts.

9. Claydwildcat
    9:38 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

He will not be a five star. If he finished one or two maybe he would be a five star.

10. dshwildcats
    9:43 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Card fans are kind of funny, fellas! On the one hand, they NOW thump their chest about winning a game the majority of their fans didn’t think they could win. And on the other hand, they’re always checking on the progress of a football program they say is totally “irrelevant”.

Pretty sad existence!! Lol!!!

11. Genoscats
    9:43 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Great job, keep working hard!!🐾👌

12. Dr. Tom
    9:46 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

What a complete all around great kid. The sky is the limit for this young man with his football talent along with his maturity and personality. Still boggles the mind that Joker didn’t recruit Drew Barker!!!!

13. TouchdownTommy
    9:50 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Awesome. Keep up the hard work Drew and you could be the best ever from the Commowealth.

14. my computer
    10:08 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

DB could end up in the top 5 of the E11. He is improving faster than the other QBs.

15. Cat Fan in Georgia
    10:11 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

10 – Well, we have been pretty much irrelevant in football for a while. Just like their basketball program was, and we took our shots at them during their “irrelevant” period. Hopefully things change and our football becomes relevant again. As to their win over Florida…maybe Florida was not “motivated” and maybe they were, but the Cards did beat them. Something we’ve been unable to do for almost hslf my life, including years where I’m pretty sure that the Gators weren’t motivated to play us.

16. Cat Fan in Georgia
    10:12 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

15 – “Half my life”

17. Tina Delgado is alive
    10:36 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

That’s great news, keep up the hard work Drew. We’ve got us a homegrown gem here Cat fans. This season could be a bit rough, but help is on the way!!

18. Blue To The Bone...
    10:39 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Since DB doesn’t play against top tier competition in the class they play in this can do nothing but make him better and lets him know what his weaknesses are and be able to work on them all next yr…Congratulations Drew!!

19. cards fans are sheeple
    10:51 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

15,16 and we should care why? Loservilles schedule of cupcakes allowed the to be in a game they had no business playing. yeah they won the game but literally no-one cared. It was the worst attended and worst tv rated Bcs game ever.

20. dshwildcats
    11:05 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Cat Fan in Georgia,

I gave my UofL friends props after they defeated Florida, brother! You’re right–whether Florida was interested, motivated, etc., is totally irrelevant. Louisville was the better team on the night the game was played. Now, if those two teams play 10 games in 10 weeks, Florida probably wins 8 of them. Stranger things have happened in bowl games.

My problem with the Cardinal fans and the Sugar Bowl win was that very few of them thought they had a prayer leading up to the game. At the time, I was on a sports discussion board managed by the Louisville Courier-Journal. It consisted of some Kentucky fans like myself; but, the majority of members were Card fans. A bunch of good Card fans (had actually met a few of them), but only a very few of them even wanted to talk about the game in the month prior. I tried to discuss X and Os with them, and break down the match-ups between the two teams. With a very few exceptions, most of them were more interested in the basketball team. I also heard quite a few Card fans on radio talk shows. I only heard a couple that thought Louisville had a chance in that game.

But once the game was in the books, you have Louisville fans crawling out of the woodworks to tell us that they knew they were going to handle Florida from the start. Heck, I can tell you that I knew I was going to win the Lottery after I’ve won it!

Take it from a Kentucky Football fan of over 40 years, that grew up in Louisville, there’s no need to bend over backwards to congratulate Louisville fans on any of their athletic accomplishments. When the shoe is on the other foot, instead of hearing “congratulations” from a majority of their fan base, we hear, “You obviously cheated!”; “You just got lucky!”; “We would’ve done it better!”, etc., etc.

BTW, I was a student at UK the last time we beat the Gators. Hopefully, I’ll still be around to see us finally beat them again! Lol!! We ended the streak against UT, so there’s no reason to think the Florida streak won’t end eventually! Probably not this year, though!

21. dshwildcats
    11:12 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Depending on how our QBs look this season, I think Barker might have a chance to compete for the starting QB position right off the bat. I honestly think Max Smith will be named the starter this fall. With the exception of the 4 picks he threw in the Western game, he was off to a great start last season before getting injured.

I liked the way Whitlow played in the spring game, but I also realize you can’t put too much stock in a scrimmage. Given our shortage of WRs, he may end up playing slot WR if Smith wins the starting job.

22. Sean
    11:30 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

I really think Evan Hilbert would have flourished in Neal Brown’s offense. It’s similar to what he ran in middle school at St Stephen Martyr. Like a lot of the players, Evan never bought in to Joker’s system.

23. Bill
    12:39 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

Wasnt Towles elite 11….so how is this kid that much better

24. uk_fanaticat
    1:22 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

Towles was not an Elite 11 finalist. He did participate in the competition, but finished somewhere around 15.

25. Towels
    1:54 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

@24 Well excuse the hell out of me!!

26. tampa satchel
    9:55 am July 5, 2013 Permalink

@21-I will be somewhat surpised if DB doesn’t redshirt, as he has already said that was the plan as expressed by the coaching staff. We are actually relatively strong at QB and a year learning the system and adding weight will put him in a great position to compete the year after next.