Draft Express says this doesn’t change Nerlens’ NBA stock

Despite the bleak state of the BBN right now, Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony says that Nerlens Noel’s draft stock is essentially unchanged:

“My take on Nerlens Noel NBA stock in wake of the ACL tear: he’s the same prospect today he was yesterday. Still goes 1-3. Nothing changed. Teams will want their doctors to have a thorough look at the knee, but if Noel is only out until December/January, its not the end of the world. Some people are saying that Noel was a lock at #1 before this, but I disagree with that. Depends on who has the pick, how others finish, etc.”

Givony also referenced the work of Kevin Pelton, an NBA analyst for ESPN. Pelton examined the effect of ACL tears on different NBA players’ careers and found that players actually improve their hustle stats (rebounding, blocks, steals…all of Noel’s strengths) after an ACL tear.

Those are encouraging words for Noel, who will now face the decision of leaving after this year or coming back to school. Despite the somewhat selfish desires for him to return (and yes, they are selfish), it is in Nerlens’ best interest to leave school, enter the draft, and rehab with an NBA team. Not only would that ensure the best treatment possible on the NBA’s dime, but it would also avoid the risk of returning to school and re-injuring the knee. Nerlens’ unique shot blocking abilities will still make him an incredibly desirable prospect, most likely still top five, and the timing of the injury gives him the potential to return by mid-season.

It’s a tough day, but let’s remember Nerlens’ encouraging words. If there’s one player who can make a major comeback, it’s him.

80 Comments for Draft Express says this doesn’t change Nerlens’ NBA stock

1. Rixter
    2:32 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

UK’s season aside, I sure hope it doesn’t cost that young man any money……

2. Cauley-Stein
    2:33 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

everybody relax, I got this……

3. Juan4UK
    2:33 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Agreed. He needs to enter the draft but I still want him to finish the year at UK. Stay with Cal and the Team during his initial recovery. #BBNCares

4. Duck Butter
    2:34 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Anyone else on the team going to the draft is completely dead to me the second they announce it.

5. Bobbum man
    2:35 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Some people ate very selfish couldn’t believe all the people on here immediately after we found out that it was a torn ACL talking about its great because now he’ll be back who cares about that this is a terrific kid and we need to wish him the best for his future

6. UK Fan
    2:35 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Great news! Go ahead and declare Nerlens and get yourself in the best possible shape for the NBA. This “team” will be ancient history soon.

7. Bobbum man
    2:36 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

2- why would we think that? U sure didnt “have it” in the Florida game, love WCS and he plays his heart out too but he’s no NN…. Yet atleast

8. TampaCat
    2:36 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Thank you for everything Nerlens… I wish you the best and plenty of successes in life going forward. BBN

9. Non-Delusional UK fan
    2:37 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens Noel will never play for UK again.

10. ag slater
    2:38 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#2..hahahahahaha yeah right. You aren’t even half the presence Nerlens was down low. Maybe offensively, but your defense is terrible. Especially for a 7 footer

11. Steely Dan
    2:38 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Get the hell outta here Nerlens. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. No sense at all for him to risk another injury

12. UK Fan
    2:38 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#9… nor should he

13. Bobbum man
    2:38 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Someone said it on the other post but he should do the Y on senior night with a UK jersey so we can atleast see him rockin that uniform one more time… Will go down as a all time fan fav

14. Adam
    2:39 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Come back if you want N.N. and play with a team worthy of your immense talent and hustle. Become a leader and win a National Championship before cashing in on the NBA. Remember Jordan, Ewing, and Barkley stayed in school. Everyone is in such a rush these days. Like the NBA won’t be there in 4 years. Buck the trend. Rehab fully. Come Back and dominate. Then get paid. #YOLO

15. You're gonna make tears come outta my face
    2:40 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Good season big fella… Will be watchin ya in the league!

16. tod lanter
    2:40 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

2-I got your back, bro.

17. Les tontons
    2:42 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Noel needs to make the best decision for him

18. bdown
    2:43 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I agree #13, having Noel do the Y on senior night would be such an amazing moment. I’m getting chills just thinking about it…

19. Troy
    2:44 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m a die hard UK fan, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to watch another game this season. Nerlens WAS this team. He was the sole reason to watch. He was a Maestro on the defensive end. Without him in there, it’s going to be one frustrating play after another. It will be like watching a bad high school team.

Nerlens, you’ll always be one of my favorite players. Thanks for the memories, and best of luck at the next level.

20. Athena
    2:44 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Great news! It would be great to see him go in the top 3…THIS year!

21. JustSayin
    2:44 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Mrs. Tyler for telling us all what is in the best interest of Nerlens. Maybe he can decide for himself? How about that?

22. Really
    2:44 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

14 what are you thinking???? That is a selfish statement

23. Bledsoe's Biceps
    2:44 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

14) Selfish much? Seems you don’t give a shit what’s actually best for Nerlens.

24. Derek Anderson
    2:45 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Maybe he can come back and shoot free throws if the opposing coach gets a technical foul in the final four

25. Noel
    2:45 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Will i get NPOY votes after they see how bad this team does without me?

26. Computer Blue
    2:46 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I still hope to see Nerlens picked #1.

27. Bobbum man
    2:47 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

19- I kinda feel the same way almost feel bad like I’m not a “true” UK fan or something but that was one of my first thoughts was that its gonna be hard to watch any more of this team.

28. The Oval Office
    2:48 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

4 = John Short?

29. wb
    2:48 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Maggard was right!!!! Don’t doubt me again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. James K
    2:49 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Blake Griffin has had serious knee problems, and he’s probably the most explosive player in the league.

31. Adam
    2:51 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

How is it selfish? Asking someone to improve on their talent before leaving early for the NBA and increasing their chance of becoming a legend. Especially now that he will need rehab, it would be in his best interest to play another year of amateur basketball. We don’t even need him, but he would start. I feel he could improve his offense, specifically his low post moves. I’d like to see a player actually develop before signing based on potential.

32. Mark Maggard
    2:51 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#29- Actually I said he tore his ACL and MCL. Obviously I don’t know what I’m talking about as usual

33. Catfan1
    2:51 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#1. I love the kid #2. If you think he will be in the top 5 in the NBA draft you are making yourself believe a lie! #3. Think of it this way. He is an investment to any NBA team. You don’t buy a race horse with a limp. Sorry if you don’t like it put that way but the truth is the truth.#4. I hope this post is right but I wouldn’t count on it.#realitybites

34. asdf
    2:53 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I still say Nerlens has a great shot at being # 1 in the draft, as long as Portland doesn’t end up with the pick.

35. Bobbum man
    2:54 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

33- are you high? He will definately still be a top 5 pick and he won’t have any “limp” he’ll be fine after rehab and everything…. I know it’s crazy to believe NBA draft experts over a KSR comment section expert but ill take my chances

36. Charles
    2:55 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

37. Maxbps8
    2:58 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Godspeed, N2! You will comeback (either to UK or the nba) even stronger! (NOW: WHO MADE THAT GOD-Awful PASS?)

38. fatcat
    2:58 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Season Over! Nothinelse to talk about with this team.

39. Brandon
    2:58 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#31 You do know he can do all that and more getting NBA money at the same time right? The trainers are better and the rehab will be better. He’s done enough for UK. Time for him to take care of himself.

40. fatcat
    2:58 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

nothingelse

41. Spell Check
    2:59 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

35- definitely* I know its a tough one, but spelling errors weaken your argument. Given your comment you appreciate others doing the thinking for you anyway.

42. Bledsoe's Biceps
    3:00 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

31) It’s selfish, because you want him to return for YOUR reasons. NBA teams do draft based on potential, so what you’d like to see is totally irrelevant. If an NBA team is going to draft him in the top 5, he gets a 3 year guaranteed contract that will pay him a minimum of about $10 million. Plus a show contract hat will pay him another million or so, per year, for 4 or 5 years. If he returns, he risks another injury that may be career ending.

43. Catfan1
    3:00 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#35 I have a horse for sale want to buy it? Or better yet give it a multimillion dollar contract?
    Like I said no disrespect but investments are investments.

44. fatcat
    3:02 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

They will be terrible!

45. TheLaw
    3:04 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

35 – You are completely right, don’t listen to these idiots.

46. Bledsoe's Biceps
    3:04 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

43) Bad analogy. Horses don’t recover well from leg injuries, but basketball players do it all the time. When you get a job as an NBA scout or GM, then get back to us.

47. Adam
    3:04 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

39- Very true, but he will miss UK and being a kid. NBA is all business and it would be awesome to play there, but I hope he comes back for his own sake. A chance to play on a national title team resonates with me. It’s something that no one can take away from you your whole life. NBA will be there. Believe me. Unless he shrinks and loses his motor.

48. bbr
    3:07 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

” it is in Nerlens’ best interest to leave school, enter the draft, and rehab with an NBA team” How about we let Nerlens decide what is best for him after he has had a chance to think about it and talk to his parents, people in the NBA, people at UK etc

49. TheLaw
    3:08 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

47 – And if he gets hurt again? I want him to come back as much as anyone, but he has to take care of his future…generally receiving millions of dollars guaranteed will help that situation.

50. Cal
    3:08 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Funny how people call someone out as selfish for wanting Noel to play at UK next year. We all should! Dumb not to want him back but also dumb not to respect the decision if he declares. Someone always looking for a reason to bitch.

51. Catfan1
    3:10 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#46 can you remember Greg Oden? I bet the portland trailblazers and the rest of the NBA does! That’s why not this year but maybe next?

52. TheLaw
    3:11 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

51 – I remember him very well. He is a very rich man…good thing he declared for the NBA when he did.

53. Adam
    3:11 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

50-Boom! Nailed it. Whatever decision he makes I will respect. I’m not selfish for wanting him back just the same as he wouldn’t be selfish to declare.

54. Adam
    3:13 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

49-It was a freak injury so unlikely, but if he did he would still be a millionaire after he declares. Dude is gonna excel. Only a matter of when.

55. Catfan1
    3:16 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

# 52 I would place my money on no one will take the risk Portland did! It is still screwing them today! We will see. Just don’t bet on it.

56. John Calipari
    3:17 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

To all you a-holes who try to call me a scumbag for “pushing” players into the NBA after one year of college, you can KMA!

57. Bledsoe's Biceps
    3:18 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

49) – And Oden is in discussions with teams about a possible come back. How convenient of you to ignore the more frequent comeback stories like Kenyon Martin, Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffen, etc. But let’s not let facts get in the way of your position.

58. AylortheImpaler
    3:18 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

The human eraser will be missed… 🙁

59. Jarod Swopshire
    3:18 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#54, sometimes bad luck, like lightning, strikes twice in the same place.

60. TheLaw
    3:21 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

57 – And let’s not let your inability to read interfere with your logic. I agreed with you, genius. Go back and read the thread more carefully.

61. Catfan1
    3:21 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

#57 I still have that horse!

62. uk3k
    3:23 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens we hardly knew you.

Wish you the best in your recovery and cant wait to see you stuffing shots in the NBA.

63. Jack
    3:23 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Nothing else to talk about with this team. They are going to be terrible. Move on and do something else during UK bball game.

64. Bledsoe's Biceps
    3:25 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

60) Cool your jets. I made a mistake. I meant my comment to to be directed at 51.

65. Ridge Runner
    3:26 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonna miss that U K haircut for sure. What a cool signature to go along with that flat top. But damn, he led the team in steals, obviously blocks, minutes played, etc.. Just damn.

66. TheLaw
    3:27 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

64 – LOL. Hey man, you threw the first stone. I take back my nasty retort.

67. GA Wildcat
    3:27 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to Nerlens in the future. We hope you heal well and have a great career.

68. Ridge Runner
    3:27 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

damn again.

69. Jpo
    3:29 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

KENYON MARTIN. Tore acl during season. Drafted #1. Boom

70. BPM
    3:30 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I want Nerlens to come back but he would be an absolute idiot to stay now – no insurance policy can compare to lottery money. He comes back and injures his ACL again he can kiss that lottery money goodbye. I would never think twice about him leaving or question it in the slightest and if you do, you are a moron.

71. Ridge Runner
    3:30 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Those 12 blocks in 1 game is one to tell our grandkids about.

72. Lexcard
    3:32 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

My son tore his this past fball season. After the initial shock, you move on with surgery and rehab, This honestly has been a blessing to him. I think he appreciates what he has accomplished more and now understands you are one play away from it being over. I have confidence Nerlens will use this as a way to grow and become a better person aswell as a player.The rehab will work all of his body and not just the knee. Trust me when I say his knee will be stronger, as will his mind. The advances made in knee surgery are amazing.Beat of luck to him thoughts and prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.

73. JCW
    3:40 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

All of you that want to talk shit about this team are pathetic. Go cheer for Louisville or better yet Duke. Y’all are the ones that give Kentucky fans a bad name. You are spoiled brats who have become accustomed to Cal’s teams coming in and being dominate. Some teams develop slower than others *cough* Brandon Knight’s team *cough* and still go deep in the tournament. Seriously, cut the crap and get behind this team or stop referring to yourselves as BBN fans…

74. BennyHanna
    3:51 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Damn You Dave Baker! This is all your Fault!

75. Bob Loblaw
    3:54 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

In this sense, being a fan is inherently selfish. You want your team to win it all. That’s selfish. I understand Noel leaving and others leaving early, but I don’t like it. I support these guys because they are part of our BBN family, but I would rather them come back. In the grand scheme of all of this, I’m a fan of the name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back. If he can go early and make bank, I understand and support, but not liking it, doesn’t make me a bad fan or person. Being a fan for a certain team means you are selfish to a point.

76. Jack
    3:54 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

69, you uninformed Ky hick, Kenyon Martin broke his leg against St Louis in the Conference USA tournament.

77. The Truth Is...
    3:54 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I love KSR and I have been following the site ever since Matt started it. BUT – I’m really sick of the way this site works so hard to encourage players to go pro after a year. The truth is…not that many of our guys who were one and dones have done very much. Cousins, Bledsoe and Knight have done well, but look at Davis’ injury and Wall’s injury. These guys are youngsters. Kids. Let ’em have some fun. Let em mature. Look at AD and NN’s legs! Dudes, they are toothpicks! I have a background in thoroughbred racing and I am totally against running 2-year olds. A 2-year old that has been raced hard has big old swollen knees filled with arthritis by the time they are 5 or 6. Same with 18 and 19 year old kids. Just saying.

78. Bob Loblaw
    3:54 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

73 Fans like you give UK fans a bad name. We are a family, don’t attack your fellow BBN fans.

79. joeboo
    4:22 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I agree with the Truth these kids leave before they are ready mentally and physically. Its not selfish for us to want them to come back especially it would benefit the team and theirselves, what about the experience they can benefit from and spend another year being in college. They dont even get to really have the college experience. Thats a great experience, instead they have to grow up quickly in pursuit of the almighty dollar, a possible short term reward if things don’t pan award. Life isnt all about money, maybe so in this culture, but money doesnt give you experience or great memories, so if Nerlens goes pro he’s not have much of either.

80. Bob Loblaw
    4:31 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

77 KSR has fallen to the Agent’s propaganda when they spout that stuff.