Draft Express reminds us why we want Andrew Wiggins

wiggins_andrew6401

Wiggins, Wiggins, Wiggins.

At times, it seems like the Andrew Wiggins recruiting saga overshadows the player himself. While we wait for Wiggins to finally decide where to take his talents, let’s remind ourselves why we want him so much. Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com has a detailed profile of Wiggins the player from the Nike Hoop Summit. His verdict? Although Wiggins didn’t have the flashiest of games, it is still clear that he is a rare talent. Givony watched Wiggins in practice all week leading up to the All-Star game, and breaks his game down

Watching him practice and play in Portland, Wiggins’ talent shined through regardless of how motivated he felt to prove himself at any given moment. He measured an inch taller (6-8) and longer (7-0) than he did last year in Portland, although he hasn’t added a single pound to his frame since then, and he’s still one of the best athletes you’ll find in the world outside of the NBA. Wiggins has the ability to create his own shot at will with an array of jukes, shakes, hesitation moves and amazing body control, even if his ball-handling skills in the half-court still haven’t quite caught up. He’s dynamite in transition and very capable of finishing effectively in the half-court as well since he can simply rise up over the top of the defense and wait until traffic has subsided before elegantly laying the ball in.

Givony also breaks down Wiggins’ perimeter shooting and defensive skills, but this tidbit might be my favorite part of the whole thing:

Not a selfish player by any means, Wiggins looked more than happy creating for others over the course of the week, seemingly taking pleasure in taking the attention off him for once.

I can think of a really great place where he can do that.

76 Comments for Draft Express reminds us why we want Andrew Wiggins

1. lexslamman
    11:33 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

That write-up sounds a little like MKG.

2. ajh
    11:34 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THIS APPARENT AKWARD CONFERENCE CALL WITH THE 3 COACHES YESTERDAY??????????

3. knightynight
    11:35 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

#instantboner

4. GreasedUpDeafGuy
    11:37 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

The day Wiggins commits to Kentucky, I will figuratively and literally pitch a tent, in my pants and for big blue madness tickets, respectively.

5. Breaking News!!!!!!!
    11:37 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I received this news about a conference call between Wiggins, Roy Williams, Bill Self, and Leonard Hamilton. This source is legit:
    Phone call went down yesterday afternoon. The conversation was, in the words of my source, “tense.” This was, in fact, a conference call, with each of the three coaches (Self, Roy, Hamilton) giving Andrew their closing “pitch” as everyone in the room realizes decision time is drawing near. The veiled jabs at other programs were awkward, but everyone relished piling on Cal/UK since he was not on the line. The only recruitment I can remember where big-name coaches actually heard what other coaches say about their program, straight from the horse’s mouth. The set-up quickly wore thin, however, with one of the three coaches abruptly hanging up (!) when he heard someone (Andrew?) “giggling” on the line.

The orchaestrated conference call happened after all coaches spoke with AW separately. This was intended, I’m hearing, for Wiggins/Fulford/Mitch to hear the coaches make a “public” case for their program, but ended up being awkward for all parties, degenerating into a game of one-upsmanship that has caused at least one coach to give up on the recruitment. My source said the closest parallel would be a finale of “The Bachelor,” with each coach wanting a rose but not getting one. Perhaps Cal has the rose?

6. Tumtateedlytumtatoo
    11:39 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

GUM GOBBLY GOOBER CHEW!!!!!

7. bob
    11:42 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

# 5 Who’s your source?

8. SexnNursinHomes
    11:43 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

3 way call

Roy: Bill, go eff yourself
    Bill: Lick my balls Roy
    Leonard: Please, you two stfu.

I can imagine it going just like that.

9. MrWildcat
    11:44 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I havent heard about the call. Doubt he would do it that way

10. Sam
    11:46 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

5: You can come up with a better BS story than a silly conference call that obviously would never happen.

11. doc
    11:51 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I liked Matt Jones commentary from the Fulford interview and insight into Wiggin’s personality and comments about him waiting to commit in part to not offend his teamate Mayes. Matt brought up an interesting comment that Fulford wants Wiggins to be at UK – citing proximity so he can be part of the Huntington prep family and an easy transition to go to kentucky. He has been Kentucky’s priority for 2 years and we are in a great position now. Always listen to Coach Cal’s comments and he speaks to the BBN in a subtle way. A few days before the NIT game, Cal said “everyone wants to be here-in terms of future recruits” and Randle committed accordingly. He last said that the Recuits are doing the recruiting (on the own volition). I like the character of the players on next year’s team and liked Randle as well as the other players pushing for Wiggins. It is a unique and once in a life time opportunity for them all to practice together next year. I like young’s comments about him being very happy to come off the bench and welcomed Wiggin’s to be on the team. The only comment from the competition is that Wiggins would have less playing time at UK, this is nonsense- He is the number 1 player in his class and will not worry about starting and playing time. I expect him to committ to win a championship here and for the same reason’s as Randle mentioned(practicing with great players who will be togther in the NBA)

12. Breaking News!!!!!!
    11:53 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

#7 I’m not going to reveal the source but this same person said last week that Wiggins would cancel his in-home visits with the coaches and commit to UK later this week. So far he was right about Wiggins cancelling the visits.

13. bob
    11:58 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

#12 Wish i could believe you, but i’ve heard that excuse too many times before.

14. Mr. Art Vandelay
    11:59 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I am an architect, and speaking with such expertise I find that it is utmost paramount that Wiggins would choose to go where he wants to go. That being UK of course.

15. The Real JD
    12:01 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@12 He cancelled the visits because he wasn’t going to be there because of flight delays. How would he know he was going to have a delayed flight 2 weeks before he is supposed to fly out?

Hole in story.

16. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:04 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

15… now the question becomes, did he purposely say he had cancellations knowing all along that it was an excuse to get out of meeting with coaches face to face so that he could let them down over the phone easier? Perhaps we have yet to master the 007 capabilities of this high school kid.

17. Mack
    12:05 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

My friend lived in Huntington during 1993 and he told me for a fact that it was all the truth from #5, so there you go.

18. MrWildcat
    12:05 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@12 I would like to see where you or your source called that he would cancel the visits before hand.

19. Breaking News!!!!!!!!
    12:06 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

#15 I thought about that too but that doesnt mean he wasnt already planning to cancel them. He couldve been planning on cancelling then got delayed and had an even better excuse for doing it. Just an idea but still impressive that my dude was able to call it last week.

20. Mack
    12:07 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

What #16 said!

21. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:07 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I called it three weeks ago, I just didn’t tell anybody until after it happened.

22. MrWildcat
    12:07 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@12 @19 Where did he call it? Id like to see it

23. The source
    12:09 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

He is going to UK. It was confirmed by my aunt’s boyfriend’s brother’s friend’s cousin twice removed. DONE DEAL.

24. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:10 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I do most of my calls on the phone, the rest are by pure smoke signals.

25. Eye in the Sky Spy
    12:11 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

16, He called Miss Cleo last week and she told him there would be delays on all flights!

26. Mack
    12:13 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

“From Canada with Love” referencing #16. Not to mention “Goldfinger” in part took place at Ft. Knox (Kentucky), now it is all coming together.

27. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:14 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I have a third cousins dog groomer who knows this guy in the artificial plant making business who endorses a sports agency called “Mad Agency Development Elfs Usurping Poverty” or M.A.D.E.U.P. They seem to know a third party source who told them that their mailman is best friends with a guy who said and I quote,”Wiggins is going to play college ball somewhere next year.”

I can’t make this stuff up people.

28. AJH
    12:15 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Now that Wiggins had had talks with all of these coaches now, he truly has to know where he is going by now. Before hand i could see some uncertainty still lingering, but not anymore. I would hope he would announce soon, or he really is just doing this for publicity. (if he drags this out much longer)

29. Wiggins Underpants
    12:15 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure I know more than anyone on this issue, as I’m closer to his junk and get touched every day by the hand of God…aka Andrew Wiggins. Wiggins just last week bought out all of Huntington’s blue underwear, and even had to order more online (the sexy kind). These were not your lame Carolina sissy blue. Take that for what its worth.

30. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:17 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

29…if you can’t trust a man’s underpants, who can you trust?

31. Breaking News!!!!!!
    12:18 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

#22 here is the message from last week. Unless Wiggins commits today then he’d only be half right.

April 18, 2013 10:03 p.m.
    I just got done talking with my source and he said the in-home visits by Williams, Self, and Hamilton aren’t going to happen. Wiggins is tired of the whole recruiting process and he’s ready for it to end. Source says that Wiggins is going to cancel the upcoming visits and commit to UK on Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Could this thing finally be wrapping up?

32. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:22 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

31… no offense but you could be making that whole thing up. Its not hard to do. I hope your right. I would love to see Wiggins wearing the UK blue and white.

33. MrWildcat
    12:22 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@31 and that proves what exactly? you just what happened last week in future tense

34. MrWildcat
    12:23 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

You just typed what happened**

35. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:23 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

This is a little off topic, but has anyone heard anything about the guy transferring from Alabama basketball team. Is there any interest from UK?

36. RahRah
    12:27 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I’ve felt really good about our position with this kid since Coach Cal started teasing BBN about going undefeated.
    CATS 2014!

37. tuxedo park
    12:34 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

the deadline has passed on in-home visits, #31

38. Sherlock Holmes
    12:34 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@31. I just looked back at all of the April 18th ksr posts and the comments and there was no such comment ever made. Documentation is a b#[email protected]# sometimes. Nice try though. Dont understand how spreading that crap makes someone feel any better about themselves.

39. Mr. Art Vandelay
    12:38 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I always feel better after spreading crap.

40. Stony
    12:38 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

38…not that I’m buying into what this guy is selling but he said in another comment previously that it was from a source that he is not going to reveal. Wish he or his so-called source (if he exists) could be right though. That would be incredible.

41. Da Troof
    12:39 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Here is a message I posted from last week. And guess what!? It happened, twice. So I was double right.

April 17, 2013 10:33 p.m.
    I might eat pasta for dinner this week.

42. Stony
    12:41 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

41…lol. Nice!!!

43. MrWildcat
    12:45 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@38 I also went back and checked. You are correct

44. Breaking News!!!!!!!
    12:47 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

#38 you might want to leave the investigating to Mr. Watson. I never said he commented on KSR. Im just telling you what Ive heard. If you dont believe it then thats fine, Im not even sure if I believe it but its what I have heard these past few weeks.

45. The Real JD
    12:48 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@38 I googled the phrase several different ways and I can verify that the comment was never made.

46. The Real JD
    12:48 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@44 Dude……….Give it up.

47. Sherlock Holmes
    12:57 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Ahhhhhh, yes. The old I posted it but not anywhere verifiable post routine. Dr. Watson and I are both well versed at this double back, back tracked, tried to prove it but can’t really prove it now that you’ve investigated trick. Please provide a link to your post and the mystery will be solved. Surely this can be done via the vast resources of the internet.

48. Mike
    1:04 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

#12. If this turns out to be true, then Matt and KSR need to find you a temporary position each year during recruiting! And I don’t say this SARCASTICALLY either!!!

49. MrWildcat
    1:07 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

The first sign that someone does not have a source is that they say they have a source

50. Sherlock Holmes
    1:07 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

You say: April 18, 2013 10:03 p.m.

Then you say: I never said he commented on KSR. Im just telling you what Ive heard.

I say, I am finding incongruencies in your argument. You made reference to a post by you then you say your source made the comment. Watson and I love UK and wish Wiggins to commit, but will not fall for your UofL shanannigans (please note Watson does most of the spelling and I do the investigating)

51. Breaking News!!!!!!!
    1:07 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I could put a link up here showing the entire discussion but its on a friends account and for privacy reasons I wont do that. I just posted what I know and a few things from what Ive seen. If you dont believe it thats fine but I figured I put it out there for other conspiracy theorists to discuss.

52. Sherlock Holmes
    1:10 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

But of course, the old I could but I won’t routine.

53. MrWildcat
    1:10 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

51 no one is falling for it you could find 100000 reasons not to show it. Its just an excuse

54. MrWildcat
    1:14 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

He is just doing it so in a week or so when Wiggins commits to UK, this guy will be able to say I told you so. The longer this goes the easier it get to pick a date and school

55. garric
    1:19 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

lol u guys are idiots sometimes..he said he had a source.. maybe true maybe not but he wont be able to prove it to u unless we later find out that it did indeed happen.. All he did was relay on the message board something he heard..Damm do u guys eat your young? I hope he is right cause we may have the lead on Wiggins and to watch u experts eat crow..

56. KSR Poster
    1:23 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Do u guys eat your young?

Yes, yes we do.

57. KSR Poster
    1:24 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

…..especially if they are struggling in math.

58. garric
    1:25 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Also he is offering information u may not think its true but u guys are offering doubt and nothing else.. Should be not too hard to find ..Was there a 3 way conference call? if there was then his whole story is likely correct..i get alot of u dont think thats true so offer up some facts, hearsay, rumor, something other then u think #12 is lying WE GET THAT

59. KnowledgeableKnelly
    1:26 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Dang. My comment got removed. It was the only one that was 100% true. KSR don’t curr about da truf.

60. garric
    1:27 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Not saying i know its true or not But the 3 coaches being comfortable trashing us on a conference call sounds about what i would think they would do..

61. JohnnyM
    1:38 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I just smoked a blunt with the Heisman trophy, and Mr. told me that Wiggins is going to UK for school, but he won’t join the basketball team. He will work his way through college at BK. Damn, now I want some BK. Are you good to drive, Mr. Trophy?

62. Mike
    1:41 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Vandelay: do us all a favor and go lay down somewhere

63. Rixter
    1:47 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

51, you’re not going to repost your source’s comments ‘for privacy reasons’, but you are willing to come on KSR and tell us everything the poster said?

NICE!

64. bung
    1:51 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

do we still just play 5 guys and use one ball…

65. Rixter
    1:52 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I’m reposting something that I said on this site over the weekend……

Rixter says:
    April 20, 2013 9:03 p.m.
    I have a source who tells me that next Thursday (April 25), some blow-hard will post on KSR that he knew ahead of time that Wiggins would cancel his in-home visits, and that Wiggins will commit to UK either on April 24 or 25.

66. Rixter
    1:53 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Eerily accurate, wasn’t I??

67. bung
    1:53 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

we need a fast break teacher/coordinator on the coaching staff…

68. The Real JD
    1:57 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@65 Dude! I totally seen that post where you posted about that post from the dude with the source.

69. Obessessed?
    1:59 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Mrs. TT will be the most butt-hurt if Wiggins doesn’t pick UK. Not a single day goes by without a post about Wiggins by TT. Please stop.

70. Middle school kid
    2:19 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Hahaha 69 comments

71. Robert Downey
    2:49 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I’m just the dude who posted about a dude who posted about another dude.

72. Bob
    2:53 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

72nd

73. The Real JD
    3:12 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

@ 70 LOL

74. white mamba
    3:41 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

At this point I am just going to believe the dude and his source because it sounds good.

75. UKBlue1!
    4:59 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins!

76. SteveInFrankfort
    8:24 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

This is the funniest comments sections I have ever read on KSR!! Rixter and KSR Poster, I about busted a gut (“Eerily accurate” and “….especially if they are struggling in math.’); my wife asked if I was okay. After she read it, she busted out laughing…. Thanks, guys! That’s therapeutic!