Doug Gottlieb wouldn’t put UK at No. 1

The new rankings will be coming out in about two hours and Kentucky should be the top-ranked team in both polls. But there is at least one person with a microphone out there who wouldn’t put UK at No. 1. Doug Gottlieb.

The former sticky bandit at Notre Dame said he doesn’t trust Marquis Teague at point guard.

So, which team is his No. 1?

Article written by Drew Franklin

55 Comments for Doug Gottlieb wouldn’t put UK at No. 1

1. Bledsoe's Biceps
    10:34 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Who cares what Gotalobotomy thinks?

2. bsquared
    10:34 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

what a tool

3. Coach Durbin
    10:36 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

I love our team and I think we definately have a chance to win it all, but I can’t say I disagree with putting Ohio St ahead of us. Right now our resume looks better, but they are the one team I would like to avoid in March/April.

4. cuatrupp
    10:36 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Who cares what he thinks

5. FireGottlieb
    10:41 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Gottlieb has always been a UK hater.. he may be correct in saying that they are the most complete… But the rankings isn’t a hypothesis or a what if scenario, RECORDS ACTUALLY MATTER…. HELLO… so as long as they have more losses than UK, I will take UK

6. Catfan in C-bus
    10:43 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

WTF has this idiot ever done to deserve us caring what his opinion is? Proof that getting your face on TV doesn’t make you smart!

7. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:43 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

1…took the words right out of my mouth…dg is,well impaired… what a weeney…

8. catcrawler
    10:44 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

He makes a legitimate argument, can’t criticize him for a logical opinion. Ohio State is good, and like he said, Teague isn’t impressing anyone with his play.
    Cats just have to keep winning.

9. Mark
    10:44 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

You think he would have bought some common sense with those stolen credit cards.

10. Pinch 'n' Roll Tactics
    10:44 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t DG get in trouble for eating bath salts? Why breath life into his maniacal comments?

11. Go Cats
    10:47 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

I guarantee you that Gout-lib picked OSU as #1 because Kem Pomeroy rankings have OSU #1. What he doesn’t understand is that they have three loses and it is simply unacceptable to put them above UK based on either past performance or potential. UK has a much higher ceiling that anyone else by far.

12. Pinch 'n' Roll Tactics
    10:49 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

-8- the ? Wasn’t “what team is the best in the land?” it was “which team should be ranked #1?”…..,, there’s nothing logical about placing them first….schedules and records matter when you’re talking about placings I’m afraid

I think we should be placed first AND are the better team but if someone opined differently on the latter, I wouldn’t knock them. but that being said uk is the clear cut #1 team and this week’s decision is easier to make than most weeks as far as I can tell

13. Caytstrodamus
    10:50 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Ok I know I’m gonna get wrapped in the mouth for this, but who the heck is Doug Gotlieb? I’m gathering he plays or played for notre dame which probably makes him either a child molester or a closet child molester… What is his other claim to fame?

14. horny uk fan
    10:50 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

I don’t want us to be #1!! Let us be patient….the #1 ranking will come soon enough. I like where we are at right now.

15. Coach Cal
    10:56 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

We’ll be ranked Number One… right where I told you we’d be when you hired me.

16. Han
    10:56 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

13) He got kicked out of school for stealing someone’s credit card and went to play for Sutton, I think. He’s always gone against UK. He also seems to know less about basketball than most people with his job.

17. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    10:57 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

I knew there was a reason I didn’t follow him on twitter.

18. SteveM
    10:57 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Like most people, Gottlieb has an agenda, so his opinions must must judged in that light. Not dissimilarly, many UK fans indicated in a recent KSR poll, that they would rather have UK at #2, fearing the burden of being #1. A clear lack of courage in both instances.

19. best1978
    11:00 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky is number 1 today without question. OSU is however the number 1 team of those teams I would hope to avoid in the tournament.

20. Wildcat Willie
    11:01 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

I would leave Syracuse at 1. If we should lose at Georgia because Davis was sidelined what would your ranking be?

21. Bluecalizone
    11:02 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Hell, his picking against us is reason to celebrate. None of these talking heads really have a clue, and their comments are always agenda driven. Ohio State is a really good basketball team. But in reality, that has nothing to do with his tweet. He just be hating. F**k Him with a barrowed pecker,,,,,or in his case,,a Stollen one.

22. lambdachiguy
    11:05 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Hey guys b4 you go giving Teague flack, just remember when we had Michael Porter at the point!!!!!

23. blue warrior
    11:07 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

For the people that get it, no explanation will ever do. For those who do get it, no explanation is needed.

24. blue warrior
    11:09 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

For the people that DONT get it, no explanation will do. For those who DO get it, no explanation is needed.

25. Calipari'sInYourEar
    11:11 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Wait, we want to know what Gotlieb thinks about womens basketball too! :/

26. horny uk fan
    11:17 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

ND rolled Cuse, I’m not sure if Melo had played they woulda won anyway. It’s all speculation, but Cuse haven’t played one TOUGH team on the road yet, and they finally do = a loss. Just saying…..

27. Lindaloowho
    11:18 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Dream Lover ……… I love it.

28. longknocker
    11:20 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

It’s still early in the season. His opinion means absolutely nothing. None of the top 5 are playing like no. 1 teams right now but we will be no. 1. The next two weeks will be a good test for the Cats for sure if they come out of it with no losses.

29. Guck Foodman.
    11:23 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Rankings don’t matter at this point, but OSU has had their chance to be 1#. When you lose games you don’t get to be ranked #1, no matter how “complete” you look on paper.

30. Inspector Tipton
    11:27 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m in the bushes outside of Wildcat Lodge. Got info on Ryan Harrow wearing a new pair of Michael Jordan tennis shoes. Inspector Tipton will get to the bottom of this. Stay tuned

31. PABlue
    11:29 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Please don’t link to this yahoo. That is undoubtedly why he is going against Kentucky – he knows the power of BBN to drive his online ranking. Fans shouldn’t listen to his show either. Write about it, but don’t link to him. That just gives him the audience he’s looking for.

32. Ryan
    11:37 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Last time I checked OSU has 3 losses… I could believe maybe missouri, but not OSU

33. Ricky Bobby
    11:41 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

he would make them # 4016-4896-3865-2977 exp 07/12

34. Zach
    11:41 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

\_/ This is my cup of care. It is empty. Gottlieb is a hack.

35. Ryan
    11:48 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Why does ESPN still employ this clown? From what I can gather, hatred for Gottlieb transcends individual fan-bases: EVERYBODY THINKS HE IS A D-BAG. If he ever comes to KY, he might get his a$$ kicked.

36. Kyle Almek
    11:48 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

OSU has a better PG but our wing (MKG, Darius) > Buford. Davis isnt a physical beast but he changes the game more than Sullinger.

37. doubting thomas
    11:50 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

Gottleibs mom is Yentel

38. Hash
    12:03 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Hate Doug GOttlieb. Really don’t understand why he even has a job. HE SUCKS!

39. ThankfulCat
    12:05 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

As long as OSU has their coach, we will always be better

40. Jimi Garden of Eden
    12:06 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Is it just me or does dg always look like he just smelled a fart? Would hate to be one of his children

41. Cat Williams
    12:12 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

That is an embarrassing tweet for a sportswriter. This ain’t the pre-season.

I hope he got railed in his comments.

42. DDB
    12:12 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

I guess he would know mediocre point guard play since he was one at Oklahoma.

43. Al's IndiCats
    12:15 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

So help me when I saw that pic of DG with Katz, I thought to myself that guy looks just like that little fella that played the Banjo on the porch at the begining of Deliverence, and he’s all “GROWED” up with a suit and tie instead of bib overalls. Just wondering though, when he squeals like a pig, does he enjoy it?

44. Hoptownsbeast
    12:15 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like he’s having a Taylor Swift-Kanye moment. Thats why its the coaches & ap polls not the DG poll.

45. Fake Truth
    12:17 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if DG stole the children in his profile pic? Anyway, he can bag on our point guard all he wants when the dust settles we will be cutting down the nets in NOLA.

46. Stan
    12:17 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

I hate DG also, as bad as I hate to say it, he may have a point. I am scared with our point guard, he makes me nervous. I hate Tipton…….sorry, that slipped out..time to takes meds.

47. kyrobman
    12:35 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care what number you put in front of Kentucky we still get everybody’s best shot. So with that said might as well be number 1. Besides this time last year, look at UK and look at Ohio St. What would you have thought if someone had told you we would have to play OSU to get to the elite eight what would you have thought. So Teague will be fine.

48. Charles
    12:44 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Bottom line …….polls makes no one a champion in college hoops…….lets win in New Orleans the 1st weekend in April BOTH games and that overcomes ANYONES opinion……..GO CATS

49. catfan9
    1:06 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Gottlieb…you just never learn.

50. thenameobdigity
    1:06 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Ohio State is favored in Vegas

51. MammaKin
    2:04 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

Oh to bad noone gives two turds for your thoughts DG..

DG in 5 years = Who the F is that. Isn’t he the guy who took my order in the drive thru last week..

52. Old Guy in Lower Arena
    2:31 pm January 23, 2012 Permalink

I think he’s right, though. The analyst rankings (like Pomeroy and Sagarin) have us around #5. As flawed as this team is, though, we are a three pointer away from being perfect. Unbelievable. I don’t know if we are that good or college basketball is that bad.

53. Joe Big Blue