Doron Lamb’s mom taught him well

After being recently traded to the Orlando Magic, where he’s surely spent a lot of time enjoying all that the Mouse as to offer, Doron Lamb has finally been getting a little press after being overlooked in comparison to the other Wildcat rookies this year. With that has come this interesting story out of the Orlando Sentinel about his basketball education: Doron Lamb’s mom taught him his renowned floater.

We always loved Doron’s silky smooth offensive game, whether he was filling it up from three or busting the mid-range out and showing everyone what the lost art is all about. When he was in fifth grade, his mother gave him a lesson on how to not get blocked and thus began his development of “The Floater.”

Check out this excerpt:

“When I was young, I was going to the basket and I’d get my shot blocked all the time,” said Lamb, a New York native. “My mom told me in the house one day, ‘You have to bring your floater and shoot over the big guys.’

“I really didn’t know what the floater was, so she took me outside to the park. She had me doing drills and doing floaters. It worked.”

Apparently his mom, Brigitte Grant, would stand outside on the court with a stick that he had to shoot over. That’s some classic coaching and great parenting. Big ups to Mama Lamb for helping turn her boy into a scorer and thus giving us title #8. Like all mothers, she deserves some credit for her child’s accomplishment.

Article written by Chris Thomas

16 Comments for Doron Lamb’s mom taught him well

1. SayWhat
    11:37 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Is she available for a weekend session with Archie? I think a couple hours of her coaching could help the young man learn the same art!

2. NEWMAN
    11:44 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Just had my morning coffee, will be working on my floater here in a minute.

3. hendoblue
    11:55 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

It’s too bad Doron didn’t come back for one more year. Correct me if I’m wrong, but up until the very end of last year, we were counting on him, Terrance Jones, and Marcus Teague to come back this year. What a difference that would have made for this year’s team. But, I’m happy for them anyway.

4. Cnxbbvc
    11:57 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Compleee BULL SHIOT !!!!!!

5. jkh
    12:06 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

There was no way anyone from last years team was coming back. Anyone that comes to Kentucky and wins a national championship (while starting) will leave. Their thinking is what else is there left to accomplish, when In reality there could be a lot. Plus none of them wanted to be left behind while all their teammates moved on.

6. RahRah
    12:07 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Miss this guy and wish great things for him in Orlando!

7. jobob
    12:10 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

If those three guys did come back, UK would be a top 10 team, and all three would be projected lottory picks.

8. hendoblue
    12:17 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

#7- exactly. That’s why you come back. Improve your position in the lottery and maybe win #2

9. Cnxbbvc
    12:44 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

MONKEY BALLS!!!!!!!!

10. "That Guy"
    1:02 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Not to sound like “that guy”, but this is a story that we heard repeatedly the 2 seasons he was here when he would run towards the paint, stop, and pull up with the floater. Good story, but kind of “stale”. His mom is his best friend, and sounds to me like a person I could go out and have a beer with while watching a UK game. Wish he would’ve stayed but he had some great performances late in the season which helped make his decision. Had he stayed, he would be a key part of the team and easily a lottery pick in this year’s weak draft. Oh well, wish him the best in 0-town.

11. crazycatfan
    1:13 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

KSR – Would you please make a list of where former Kentucky players are now, after the latest NBA trades?

12. James
    1:52 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Maybe “Momma Doron” can come and coach at Kentucky? The guy there now doesn’t have a clue.

13. jobob
    2:48 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

coach Cal is a proven basketball coach with tangable results. the freshman are playing like freshman. If (big IF) they all stick around they will round out to be great players. This is the normal process. We have been lucky up till now but things will shape up next year with improved talent and some depth.

12: you are an ass hat dumbass.

14. jobob
    2:49 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

BTW: i just took a glorious poop

15. Sounds familiar
    3:32 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

This story was interesting the four times you guys posted about it when he was still at UK….

16. Cnxbbvc