Doron Lamb: Leading Man

lamb-samford
Photo by Clay Jackson

Before this season started, there were a variety of answers to the question of who would be this team’s best player: most of us argued for Terrence Jones, while others ooh’d and ahh’d over Anthony “Auto-Lob” Davis. Some of us even made a case for the quiet warrior, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist; however, few of us predicted Doron Lamb would be the team’s best player so far. Sure, we knew Lamb was a great shooter with a three so pretty it has it’s own celebratory gesture, but he has emerged from this talented team’s shadows as a leading man, with more aggression, stamina, and vigor. The one person who saw this coming? John Calipari. Cal said that for those who know him, Lamb’s inspired play is hardly a surprise:

“The extra time that he’s spending on that basketball court before practice, after practice, you’re all seeing the benefit of it. You get what you deserve in basketball and in life. You want to spend that extra time, there’s going to be a result. It doesn’t happen in a day, but when you start linking days together, weeks together, months together, you start seeing it.”

Over the last two games, Lamb has scored fifty points. Last night against Samford, he was stellar, with a team-high 26 points off 8-12 shooting, including 4-6 from three land. Lamb attributes his success this season to hard work in the gym, something that he knew he needed after tiring late in games last season. When asked about his floater, the newest shot in his arsenal, Lamb said it was his mother who taught and encouraged him to develop it:

“I always had a floater when I was young, even when I was playing AAU basketball. It was one of my go-to moves. [My mother] taught me to do that when I was young. I used to always go to the rack and I would always get blocked and my mom told me to start shooting floaters over big guys.”

Lamb also credits his teammates for creating opportunities for him to score. Marquis Teague, whom many said Lamb should replace at point guard before Teague’s breakout half vs. Indiana, knows that no matter how he gets him the ball, Lamb will score.

“He can score in many different ways: pull-up jumpers, spot shooting, jumper, 3’s, he’s got a great floater game, he can get to the rim and he can knock down free throws. That makes my job real easy. I can just give him the ball and let him do what he does and know he’s going to put the ball into the hoop.”

You’ve gotta love that kind of confidence between a freshman point guard and sophomore shooting guard.

Keep it up, Doron.

29 Comments for Doron Lamb: Leading Man

1. Garrett
    12:07 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Doron was my favorite player on last season’s team…good to see his hard work paying off this season!

2. mores
    12:21 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Didn’t Matt just say 2 days ago that Kidd-Gilchrist was the best player? Dissension in the KSR ranks!

They’re both efficient scorers, but Lamb is among the most efficient in the country, and never turns the ball over, which Kidd-Gilchrist occasionally has trouble with. But Kidd-Gilchrist is a better rebounder and defender. I can’t honestly say I prefer one or the other because they’re both extremely valuable pieces to have on an elite team–a go-to scorer and a do-everything man.

I’m just glad we have them both on our team.

3. Son of Benton KY
    12:33 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Ive been saying it sense last yaer Cats fans. Darren is my favorite and Daren is the best we’ve got. I love it when he makes the 3 mask. His 3’s always go through.

4. UK Wildcat
    12:34 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is still the best player on this team.

5. treegogs
    12:35 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

3) learn your favorite player’s name

6. huh?
    12:37 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

3) who is darren?

7. Doom or Gloom
    12:43 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

The issue with MKG is his shot selection. Against the team last night he should have been posting up or taking his man off the dribble. He had only one open 3 but took like 3 or 4. he also took 2 or 3 contested 15 foot jumpers. MKG needs post plays called for him and he also needs the ball in his hands on the wings to penetrate.

8. bmt22033
    12:45 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

I understand what Cal was trying to say but I probably wouldn’t have said “You get what you deserve in basketball *and in life*.” I consider myself very fortunate to have a great family and friends, good overall health and a good paying, stable job. But I also know there are a lot of good people out there who, in many cases, don’t have all of those things and it’s not necessarily because they don’t deserve to. In retrospect, I’m not even sure that I’d agree that you “get what you deserve in basketball”, either. I don’t think John Hood or Sam Malone deserved to tear their ACLs even though they’re not on the same level as an Anthony Davis, Brandon Knight or John Wall. I’m sure he didn’t intend it that way, of course, but it’s easily taken out of context (especially when it’s in print).

9. donnie
    12:46 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

i just happy we are so talented we can have a discussion of who the best player is on the team and 4 or 5 names come up.

10. bmt22033
    12:47 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

I’m with you #4. I like all these kids but you can’t NOT like the effort that MKG displays every time he steps foot on the court. That kid epitomizes what every basketball player should strive to be.

11. Ms. Tyler Thompson
    12:47 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

I think there’s a difference between a team’s best player and the team’s most valuable player. Doron is keeping this team going on offense, while MKG contributes beyond the box score. Like 2, I’m just glad to have them both on the team.

12. bung
    12:47 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

miller down low was unstoppable

13. donnie
    12:48 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

its a real possiblity we will have the best player at every spot by march and the best 6th man

14. wilDCat
    12:49 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

#8 – Yeah he wasn’t just saying you get what you deserve in life because it’s been a common saying for years and years and years and years or anything. Yeah, he totally meant that Hood tore his knee because he’s not that talented. Yep, that’s the ticket.

15. bmt22033
    12:50 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

@14 – as I said in my previous post, it’s easy to take things out of context, especially when they’re in printed form. You just exemplified that.

16. bubbles
    12:52 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Speak for yourself Tyler…

17. UKGoBigBlue
    12:54 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Lamb shot is way too inconsistent for him to be the man.

18. bung
    12:54 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

8 fastbreak points was not nearly enough…unless we were just wanting to practice our halfcourt plays…Rupp once said…son, i didnt bring you to UK to walk that ball up the court…

19. Walter Sobchak
    12:59 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

17) his jump shot is by far the most consistent on the team. i don’t understand how anyone could say that.

20. Proving Tim Wrong...
    1:18 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

There you go! Doron is the best!

21. oldmegantwoshoes
    1:30 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Basket-ma-ball is my favorite show on tv.

22. Doug
    1:47 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

How can Andre Drummond give up his scholarship to another player and Kentucky can not do it for Jarnell Stokes?

23. hoops
    2:36 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

Yeah!

24. JMFATZ47
    2:47 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

The Drummond situation is quite weird. But I am sure the NCAA cleared it. Let’s see if they go back and change their minds after the fact.

Lamb is the best finisher around. It was evident as early as the games in Canada last season.

He never thinks, he just shoots with confidence….its great. I wish TJones could keep his confidence level up where it needs to be. It’s all in his head and I think he will overcome this funk he is in. He worked too hard to stay down on himself. Let’s remember, he wants a title and he wants to be a top 5 pick.

25. BlueBlood
    2:53 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

i love Lamb. He is a blast to watch, as is Davis and MKG!!!

26. playersfan
    3:31 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

I thought he was the best last year, and needed more shots. It’s really popular to talk about rebounding, assists, defense etc, all of which are important, but dispite what your high school told you, so as not to hurt feelings, the number one thing is putting the ball in the hole. That was Kemba, Sullinger, Jordan, Lebron, etc.

27. PUNT PUNT
    3:36 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

#3) DARREN…DAREN….DORAN….DARON….whatever…

28. Dave in Kabul
    4:18 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

bmt22033, what he really did was showed how stupid it is to take things out of concept. It’s called sarcasm.

I agree with wilDCAT.

29. rixter
    10:33 pm December 21, 2011 Permalink

22, how can Perrin Johnson play in a scrimmage game for U of L, but UK is told it’s against NCAA rules to play a former player in a game?
    How?
    Different rules apply to UK and everyone else.