Don’t Sleep on 2014 Class Just Yet

Point guard of the future?

While many of us spent yesterday trying to survive this summer’s increasingly crazy weather, Adam Zagoria busted his chops advertising UK to the nation’s (and other nations’) top high school basketball players.  Ally already drew attention in the night post to the comments made by Julius Randle, who has been nothing short of a monster the last few days, about how great Kentucky and Coach Cal have been over the last few years.

But the class of 2013 weren’t the only ones to get some attention from the Zagsblog writer.  He also spoke to 2014 point guard Tyus Jones (who we’ll probably be hearing a lot more about as time goes on) about his summer, and the possibility of playing for Kentucky.  According to the man himself:

Last week [Jones] landed an offer from Kentucky.

“Yes, sir, last week,” he said. “It was a great feeling, especially with them being the national champion. They’re the top school right now. It’s a good feeling and it makes me want to work that much harder.

“Oh, yeah, most definitely I’m considering them,” he added. “They got a great system. Coach [John] Calipari’s a phenomenal coach. He’s always had great point guards and he knows how to coach point guards so that’s definitely a positive.”

Indeed, Calipari’s recent run of point guards has includes first-round NBA Draft picksDerrick Rose, John Wall, Brandon Knight and Marquis Teague.

Adam also asked the budding prodigy how he’d feel about playing with Kentucky’s other high-caliber target in the class: Andrew Wiggins.

Since Wiggins told SNY.tv exclusively that Kentucky and Florida State are coming at him the hardest, what would it be like for Jones to join with Wiggins at Kentucky in 2014?

“I think it would be great,” Jones said. “I think me being a point guard, I think I could set him up well with him being the scorer that he is. I think it would be good.”

So as Julius Randle says that 2013 could be Cal’s “greatest class ever,” meaning of course that it would be anyone’s best class ever, let’s not forget about 2014 just yet.  It’s possible UK could go hand-over-foot topping itself in recruiting these next few years.  How long until other coaches just ask Cal who he wants before they start recruiting a player?  Seems like they’d save a lot of time and effort that way…

Article written by Corey Nichols

20 Comments for Don’t Sleep on 2014 Class Just Yet

1. LittleOldLady
    9:11 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

“How long until other coaches just ask Cal who he wants before they start recruiting a player?” How about never you no talent waste of space. Unlike you, Division 1 coaches take pride in their work and try to avoid embarrassment at all costs. If you think for a second that any other program is just going to sit there and let Cal run all over them, you are sorely mistaken. Posting quotes like this set the fanbase up for disappointment in final four appearances and genuine success.

2. John W
    9:18 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

@2, mad bro?

3. Jdneedstoknow
    9:20 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Well LittleOldLady you suck.

4. Rhetorical Question
    9:20 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if #1 is really a Little Old Lady?

5. Z-rex
    9:32 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

In re to #1, it’s hilarious how clueless some folks are. Sad, I suppose, but hilarious.

6. RYNO
    9:32 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Looks like he’s auditioning for a role on Glee.

7. JROD
    9:35 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

#1. Wow seems a bit over the top. I believe it’s called…

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpÉœrbÉ™liː/ hy-PUR-bÉ™-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή huperbolÄ“, “exaggeration”) is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

8. Z-rex
    9:35 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

6) Actually judging by those brows, he may be the long-lost son of the former car wash owner on Breaking Bad.

But hey we’ve had good luck with eyebrows eh??

9. nassau65
    9:36 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

bout time for gogaytors to come here and say “sorry Cal, the kid’s a lock for fla.”

10. William Cutting
    9:53 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Was this guy on the Dominican National team?

11. bluesince66
    10:03 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Thanks everyone for blasting #1. I’ve said this before, I really don’t understand why people come on here and blast writers on a FREE site. If you were paying for it maybe, but probably not. I do think sometimes BTI did just try and piss people off, but other than that most of these writers give a good effort. To disagree is one thing, but to personally attack and name call is kinda middle schoolish, I guess it’s easy when you can hide behind a screen name. As far as other coaches giving up Cals only missed on about 5 guys he’s really wanted in 3 years, not too bad.

12. LittleOldLady
    10:21 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Please stop making a big deal about this site being free. That has nothing to do with it. Comments sections are a place to post legitimate criticsm of the material presented. If you read my post you will see that I answered his ridiculous question, reiteterated that he is incompetent, pointed out why his question was ridiculous, and explained why post like these are so bad. Even though KSR is a free site, it is read by people; fans and foes alike pay attention to the tone of their readers. And haughty comments about the ease of recruiting and reach the general population, the perception is that UK fans take these young men’s life changing commitments for granted.

13. roscolio
    10:27 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

1 and 12. Is it fun being a keyboard cowboy? Does it pay well? Get over yourself. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

14. LittleOldToolbag
    10:55 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Im angry. and old. please get off my lawn or I’ll call the police while hiding behind my couch.

15. LittleOldLady
    11:02 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m also a UL tard fan. I have nowhere else to go. I live in my mom’s trailer, i have a painted on linebeard, and i wear a chicken bucket on my head. I like Crown Royal with RC cola, and i gotta go-mom has my cap’n crunch ready.

16. John W
    11:04 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

At 12, yeah, but starting off your comment with “you no talent waste of space” isn’t “reiterating he is incompetent” it is name calling, the thing you do in middle school. It is one thing to say your opinion, but you made yourself look foolish with name calling. Stop trying to act civil now that you have been called out.

17. LittleOldLady
    11:33 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

@16 are you 12? did I offend YOU by calling this moron a name? someone please, tell my mommy. oh wait. she’s no longer living. watch out..or someone else might spank me!

18. John W
    11:43 am July 20, 2012 Permalink

Nope, I just thought it was funny how you go name calling in your first comment, then you try to back it up with some sort of rationale and try to act all civil. And thank you for continuing to prove my point.

19. Bob Sugar
    12:58 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m so glad the post police are out in full force. Nichols is an absolute hack masquerading as a knowlegeable Kentucky fan. In reality he is a talentless writer with an affinity for impotent posts with tangetial connections to Kentucky Athletics. Label it middle school “name calling” if you will, clearly I’m not concerned with it, but 1 has a point and is entitled to his opinion. His free website “rationale” is on point, as this site is marketed for mass consumption and, as sad as it really is, represents UK.

20. Hicks
    3:25 pm July 20, 2012 Permalink

Tyus Jones, Wiggins at the 2, Noah Vonleh to play the 3, Alexander at the 4, and Jalil Okafor at the 5. That would be the best class ever and we would be gigantic. There’s only one way to top 4 top 10 players if we can get Randle or Gordon…and that’s to get 5 the next year.