Don’t Read Too Much into Depth Chart at Wide Receiver

Today, UK Football released it’s depth chart that it will head into the 2012 season with. One surprising thing was the positioning at wide receiver. A guy like Demarco Robinson, who caught nine passes for 146 yards and two touchdowns in April’s Blue/White Spring game, was not listed as a starter at any of the three wide receiver positions. Many thought speedster Daryl Collins would be assured a starting job as well, but he’s listed behind senior Gene McCaskill. Here’s exactly how the breakdown goes:

Wide Receiver
La’Rod King
Demarco Robinson

Wide Receiver
EJ Fields
Aaron Boyd

Wide Receiver
Gene McCaskill or
Daryl Collins

Coach Phillips was asked about Robinson’s playing time at today’s pressure and here’s what he had to say: “I wouldn’t read anything into that. Demarco Robinson, I’m not going to say how he made a play every day, (and now is) not getting any opportunities. He will play and play a lot.” Also, expect for true freshmen A.J. Legree and DeMarcus Sweat to push for playing time throughout the season. The Wildcats are as deep at wide receiver as I can remember, so expect the very best options on the field on for every play.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

9 Comments for Don’t Read Too Much into Depth Chart at Wide Receiver

1. Common Sense
    8:07 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Gene McCaskill is terrible, I honestly don’t know how Daryl Collins doesn’t have that spot looked up.

2. tyson
    8:24 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I saw this earlier and was confused. Has Aaron Boyd improved that much? He has been MIA since he’s been at UK.

3. Wildcat8
    8:33 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

How long has Boyd been at UK? 6-7 years? Cause that’s what it feels like to me.

4. Head Bussa
    8:42 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

3 — I know. Will be nice to actually see him contribute — if he finally does.

5. hoops
    8:59 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Boyd, second string? My butt!!! Well, if he has truely impressed Joker that much – ya know he’ll screw up in the next week and “become ineligible.” Dude has been a knucklehead his whole time at UK, I’m sure he’s got another screw up in him.

6. Brooks
    9:16 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Typical Joker… young guys have to perform 4 times better than any junior or senior in order to surpass them. McCaskill can’t catch a cold BUT… Im guessing Collins missed 1 blocking assignment or made a similar small/insignificant mistake during camp and thus can’t be trusted.

This is why every 4 star or highly regarded 3 star player we get either turns into a bust or doesn’t show up until their junior or senior season or transfers (Donald Russell, Mossakowski, Brandon Gainer, Tim Patterson). Joker buries them on the depth chart and they don’t play for 2 years and then they’ve got no confidence left…

Everyone of you can be fooled if you want but I’m expecting the same God-awful, nearly unwatchable product that Joker put on the field last year. Everyone says we don’t win a lot because we play in the SEC, but explain why we had the lowest ranked offense in the country last year before we even started SEC play. We couldn’t score against 4 of the worst teams in the country. Joker is the worst coach in America, he’s a great guy, but he doesn’t develope guys in the slightest. He has no ability to develope quarterbacks, he has no originality on offense… we’re the most predictable team in America and Morgan Newton is worse now than he was as a senior in High School, but Joker just gets a pass on that.

Wait til he screws up Towles, maybe then everyone will start paying attention.

7. Gridirion_Cat
    10:25 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#1, In spite of injuries Gene McCaskill is one of our best and smartest receivers. I believe he is the only one that can sub into any formation at any receiver position and not skip a beat. Great hands, decent speed, and an awesome leader but he has been plagued by injuries since he’s been at UK and has yet to finish a full season to my recollection.

#6, cheer up dude. Seriously, I’m not saying we are world beaters this year but Joker has gotten some talented players to come to UK in the last couple of years and we should be quite a bit better than what all of the “experts” predict.

BTW, Aaron Boyd looked good on fan day at least. I’m just happy to FINALLY see his and EJ Fields’ name in the two deep chart for once. I cheer harder for the homegrown boys and yes it seems like he has been at UK for a decade or so at this point with zero production.

8. catfan68
    3:23 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

#6 amen!! I agree totally

9. BravoBigBlue
    7:00 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

Same old Joker. Start the upperclassmen. Take the easy route. Joker is a combination of Bill Curry and Tubby Smith. And not the good parts either. I’m gonna call him Tubby Curry from now on. At least until he’s fired.