Dominique Hawkins will announce his college decision this week

Dominique-Hawkins

Madison Central star Dominique Hawkins is back from spring break and is getting ready to announce his college decision. According to his coach, Allen Feldhaus, Jr., Hawkins will announce his decision in a press conference sometime this week, likely Wednesday or Thursday.

Hawkins has been waiting on a scholarship offer from Calipari for the past few weeks. Over the weekend, he said that as soon as he gets the call from Cal offering him one, he’ll accept. Feldhaus Jr. told Larry Vaught that he thinks Hawkins belongs at UK:

“I know the type of kid he is. He is the most humble young man I have ever coached. He is always team first, self second. When we were playing teams it was obvious we were better than, the deferred to teammates. When the big lights came on, that’s when he was at his best. Coach Calipari liked his toughness, but he is pretty explosive and has game in him. Calipari sees a lot of (current NBA guard Eric) Bledsoe in him because he is so strong and physical.”

Come on down.

28 Comments for Dominique Hawkins will announce his college decision this week

1. EBrown21
    10:38 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Really hope we get this kid! Will help us long-term I think, plus he is a KY Boy!

2. Eric Bledsoe
    10:46 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Let’s have a flex off to see if he is anything like me.

3. kentuckyrules
    10:51 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know how this affects our scholarships? How many will we have, do we have enough? Who will start?

4. BA
    10:53 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Im convinced at this point that Wiggins will end up somewhere else. I think Hawkins would be a good investment and the best way for UK to spend a final scholarship.

5. Cal
    10:55 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

#3 I know. Call me.

6. MrWildcat
    10:59 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I hope wiggins goes to FSU dont wanna see him at UNC

7. brain
    11:02 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins will be a Cat.

8. BLUE BLY
    11:03 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins goes somewhere other than UK something is up……he’s only going to be in school for a year….#9 banner is all but ours…..

I don’t see why this is such a big decision for him…he’ll be on TV 30 times and a UK legend.

MAKE THE DECISION

9. tyson
    11:03 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I hope he comes to UK. We need guys one or two guys on the team that really love UK and want to be here. They seem to be able to do more with less skill and step up when needed.

10. Rise
    11:04 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

The way I see it is if Hawkins committs then we know Wiggins is going elsewhere.

11. EBrown21
    11:07 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

@8. Dont you think that is what everyone says about UK? We should not be saying things like that. It is completely normal for kids to go elsewhere other than here. Just sayin.

12. Pay Attention
    11:09 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

For the umpteenth time, if hawkins comes here, it will NOT affect one way or another whether we get Wiggins or not.

13. UKDMD
    11:11 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins committing here will have no effect on Wiggins decision. We still have a scholarship leftover and can always move hood off the scholarship list if needed. The only situation left that would require us do that is if Nerlens stays though. And face it, if that happens do you really care if wiggins comes or not?

Quit freaking out about scholarships. There’s 13 to give. We have plenty.

14. Mc
    11:12 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 12.

Has anyone seen a scouting report on Hawkins? I trust that if Cal offers, he can play, but I can’t find much on him scouting wise.

15. blueblue
    11:13 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I think we can read from this that Cal and the staff are expecting a decision from Wiggins this week. If we get him, then we don’t have a scholarship to offer to Hawkins. If he goes to FSU, then Hawkins will be a CAT.

16. NEWMAN
    11:14 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

McDonald’s Hawkins, come on down!

17. UKBlue1!
    11:21 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

UL trolls still hitting UK boards. Don’t you all have anything else to do than worry about the Cats scholarships for next season?

18. Scholly's
    11:21 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

13 locked up scholarships:

Willis, Randle, Harrison, Harrison, Young, Lee, Wiltjer, Poythress, WCS, Johnson = 10 scholarship locks

Hood-He assumes he’s getting a scholarship so 11. Sure that can be worked with though. Haven’t heard anything on whether Polson will be back.

2 available: Hawkins and maybe Wiggins.

Any missing here?

19. Jeff
    11:22 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

This is what we need at UK. Stablity! Come on Hawkins!!!!!

20. drew
    11:23 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I wish some people could count to 13!!!!!!!

21. Tt
    11:23 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

BS!! Allen your not doing this kid any favors. We’ll see. He’s not as good as cliff Hawkins.

22. matt3480
    11:24 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Not sure why it’s playing out this way but it seems a choice of Polson or Hawkins. Maybe Polson unwilling or unable to go back to non-scholarship, which lines up with #15. That’s a really tough choice between Hood and Polson, both deserve the scholarship. Also seems to indicate the staff thinks they’ll get Wiggins or expect him to announce for another school this week

23. JP
    11:38 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Why has Cal waited so long to offer him? Will he have an offer by the time he wants to announce?

24. Mc
    11:45 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

13 scholarships. 4 in contention, 3 available: Hood, Polson, Hawkins, and hopefully Wiggins.

This is what Cal is working with.

Is Polson enrolling in grad school? Will he be willing to be a walk-on if he is?

Will we get Wiggins?

To me, if Hawkins declares to UK it doesn’t say too much about Wiggins. It says that A)Polson will not be back since he graduated, B) He volunteered his scholarship spot to Hawkins, and will walk-on, or C) Polson is willing to wait on Wiggins and will walk-on if we get him, or take the last scholarship if we don’t.

25. Great News
    11:48 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Great News Cat fans!

The new season starts tomorrow and our Wildcats are ranked #1!!!

26. TomCat
    12:04 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 24. This doesn’t say anything about Wiggins, but will give some insight on Polson.

27. Winnereitherway
    12:10 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I want both, but if I had to choose, I’d take Hawkins over Wiggins. Wiggins would be one and done on a team that very likely can win it all without him. Hawkins, by time he is junior and senior will be able to contribute in a major way, like Darius did, and will bring heart to the team. He will be the real person to “teach me bout Kentucky” to the other recruits we have at that time.

28. Seriously?
    12:41 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#27. This isn’t a Wiggins or Hawkins discussion. Hawkins decision has more to do with Polson than it does Wiggins. However, if it came to the two, I’d want Wiggins. I’d want to look back 30 years from now, and possibly tell my grandchildren about the 2013-2014 40-0 Wildcats; the greatest team of all time that destroyed everyone they played. Yes I know it needs to play out, and I always hate creating big expectations and goals. However, competitive people like the twins and Randle will thrive off the pressure.

Hawkins is fine. I’m not sure he’d contribute in a major way his senior year without seeing him play. There are people that said the same thing about Hood coming into his freshman year. However, Cal kept recruiting better players, and he rarely plays as a result. Did Hood and Polson teach others about Kentucky?