Dominique Hawkins is a Cat

6_850521

Dominique Hawkins’ dreams are finally coming true: he’s going to be a Kentucky Wildcat.

Hawkins announced his decision to attend UK this morning in front of family, friends and media at Madison Central. Like countless other kids across the Bluegrass, he’s dreamed of playing for UK his whole life, and once John Calipari crunched the numbers and found him a scholarship spot, it became a reality.

Screen shot 2013-04-10 at 7.32.13 AM

The only way Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball would be able to attend UK would be a scholarship, and with the departure of Ryan Harrow, Julius Mays, Twany Beckham, Archie Goodwin and possibly Nerlens Noel, Cal was able to give him a spot. He got the offer from Cal a few days after Madison Central won the state title, but was asked to keep it secret until the dust settled with roster shake-ups. Now, UK fans will now have another Kentucky boy on the team to rally behind for at least the next few years, and Cal will have a point guard who can help him teach each year’s crop of new guards the system and steady the ship if things get rough.

We’ll have more on Dominique’s commitment throughout the day. Welcome to the fam.

136 Comments for Dominique Hawkins is a Cat

1. BBN
    8:27 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

So happy for the kid! Dreams do come true!

2. David
    8:27 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Last spot is Wiggins’.

3. kentuckyrules
    8:28 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

BEEEYYYYAAAWWWWWW!!

4. Issel
    8:29 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Derek Willis is not from Ky?

5. PsychOfMSE
    8:29 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I am so excited for this kid. You can tell that playing at UK was a lifelong dream and he has accomplished it. He is the type of player that every program needs, a dedicated and hard working individual that is genuinely ecstatic to be where he is at. He will be a quality player for 4 years and help with introducing our all-star all-Americans to Kentucky basketball!

6. BigBlueKyHokie
    8:29 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Great news, but don’t forget about Derrick Willis is a KY boy too. I’m looking forward to seeing both wearing BLUE. Go Cats!

7. JPhelps
    8:30 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

This site seems really high on the kid, but I’ll admit, I know very little about him. Comparisons?

8. Nick
    8:30 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Solid! Love Hawkins’ game. Will be a great installment in the program for the next 4 years. Come on down Mr. Wiggins!

9. This means
    8:30 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

It is official, either hood or polson must give up their scholly for wiggins….orrrrr we don’t get him and everything is perfect on the scholarship front!

10. HeSaidWhat
    8:31 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Congrats Dominique! What a year this young man has had…and next year could be even better!

11. Roster

Harrison
    Hawkins
    Polson walks-on

1 spot left… Wiggins?

15. Tim Kathlina
    8:32 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Dominique will get playing time this year, count on it. Welcome Mr. Hawkins.

16. HeSaidWhat
    8:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Yep one spot left…Wiggins gets it if he wants. Polson may get it if he enrolls in grad classes but we’ll see in a week or two.

17. Beverly
    8:34 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@7 – Along the lines of a Bledsoe type, but calmer and not QUITE as explosive. Y’all are going to think I’m crazy, I’m sure – but I wanted Hawkins more than Wiggins at this point. THat’s not to say I wouldn’t LOVE to have Wiggins too :). The continuity is important IMO – and having solid back ups like this young man and Derek Willis will help ensure we don’t have the some of the same issues as last year. He probably wont play a heckuva lot at first, but by his Jr/Sr year he’ll get minutes.

18. fireant
    8:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I am sure this kid doesn’t see his role as you have stated. I wouldn’t if I was him.

19. BigBlue1976
    8:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

#7. I’m like you, don’t know much about him. I have read where he is like a quicker Anthony Epps.

20. Sully
    8:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Great news. Don’t sleep on this kid. He can play, and will play.

21. Madison County
    8:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Lets not forget that Dominique is a helluva football player also. Wished he would play both sports!! He’s a great kid also!! Go Cats!!

22. stublue
    8:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Love that we got this kid. Seems like a geniunely great kid, he thanked his bus drivers haha who does that? I look forward to seeing him in blue next year

23. Ummmmmm
    8:36 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

15) he will get mop up minutes. He won’t be a factor in any way shape or form. I mean think about it. He and Derek Willis will compete to see who is the 8th best freshman. Lol

24. moefatty
    8:37 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

sorry but Hawkins =no Wiggins

25. Jeremy
    8:37 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Welcome to the BBN family Dominique! Seems like a really good kid from a great family, excited to have him! Can’t wait to see you in RUPP with KENTUCKY across your chest! GO CATS!!!

26. PsychOfMSE
    8:37 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Dominique may not get a ton of playing time this year but he will have the opportunity to practice against the best players in the nation. This can do nothing but boost his skillset. I’d say by the time the 2015-2016 season starts he will be a SOLID contributor and will provide the leadership and experience every team needs to succeed.

27. Jeremy
    8:38 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Ummmm go ummmm yourself, can we let the kids signature dry before we start getting negative. I really don’t understand some of you guys sometimes?

28. INCatFan
    8:39 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

This is AWESOME news!! So glad that he chose KY. We need boys like him and Willis on the team. I’m always happy that the tip top rated players from all over the country choose KY, but its a different feeling cheering on actual KY boys that have bleed blue their entire lives. I believe that name on the jersey means more to boys like this and I think that pride carries over to the rest of the team. You could easily tell that it meant more to Polson and Hood than it did anyone else, maybe besides Noel, this year. I can’t wait for next season! GO CATS!!

29. Jeremy
    8:39 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I think this kid is really going to suprise some people!

30. HeSaidWhat
    8:40 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@ #23 Ummmmmm…he doesn’t start but he will be a big factor in the team and how they play. He competes and has heart, wants to be at UK and is humble. He’s exactly what UK needs plus with so many wing players he’ll be a guard with the ability to come in and hit some shots when needed. He’s not a 5* by any stretch but he’ll be a valuable member of UK.

31. BetterGetReady
    8:40 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I hope he’s NBA-ready within two years or else start packing your bags, young man. Georgia State awaits you.

32. niaps
    8:41 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

First someone tell 23 to stfu. Next is coach Cal has a quality guy here and he WILL be a big factor for UK before he leaves. I see him as backup point guard right now. Congrats to him and the Cats. Good guys like him are always welcome .

33. asdf
    8:41 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I love Polson to death, and thank God we had him this past season, but he also perfectly illustrates the need for the Cats to recruit a few in-state kids with Polson’s heart, but with more athletic ability (what Hood might have been had he never gotten injured). This is a GREAT move for the Cats that will pay off for a full four seasons, I expect!

34. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    8:42 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Welcome Mr. Hawkins!

35. truBLU
    8:42 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Ravi Moss 2.0

36. bosshogg24
    8:44 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Why is every live stream bungled? Might as well not advertise them or have them!

37. JPhelps
    8:44 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

17. I have a hard time believing he’s an Eric Bledsoe. Not to burst your bubble at all, honestly, I just don’t see a kid of an EB caliber sliding under the radar as long as he did. He kind of exploded onto the scene during the state tournament. I hope you are right of course, I just don’t see it.

19. A quicker Anthony Epps seems more feasible of a player who could slide under a radar. I know nothing about the kid, but I’d gladly accept an Epps-like player.

38. Eric
    8:45 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I love polson and all, but i hope people dont get pissed if he doesnt get a scholarship next year. He was brought in as a walk on, knowing hed have to pay for school. The scholarship in past years was just because we had one.

39. ajh
    8:46 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

35 – How so? I heard this kid can’t shoot, and thats what Ravi Moss did…Lol

40. Chris
    8:47 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Oh boy, a four and done.

41. LISTEN TO ME
    8:48 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

IT HAS TO BE WIGGINS!!!! Cal isn’t recruiting anyone else for the 2013 class!

42. dorons 3 goggles
    8:48 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

If ANYONE gets upset that Wiggins comes and Polson goes back to walk on status they are not a true fan or do not pay attention at all. Polson and Cal BOTH agreed that Polson’s scholarship is a year to year basis and he will always have 1 if 1 is available but in situations like this (assuming we get Wiggins) he will be a walk on again. Regardless of what happens, just support the moves Cal looks out for all the players best interests.

43. Wall2Cousins
    8:49 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

38. Polson should have never worn a UK jersey in the first place.

44. MDV
    8:50 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

36 the stream that KSR posted was great on my iPhone. On my work computer it showed lots of ads but worked fine after that.

45. Teachable Mo'
    8:53 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

46. HeSaidWhat
    8:53 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@ #43 Wall2Cousins…I would have to disagree with you. Kid was more than good enough to be at UK. No, not like Wall or Knight but he certainly could play. He would have lead this team to the NCAA instead of NIT had he been the starting PG instead of Harrow…I fully beleive that. Given the opportunity people can do amazing things and I think Polson did just that.

47. JKUK
    8:53 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@43 ?? Elaborate

48. tombanjo
    8:54 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

excatly how did cal crunch the numbers?

49. STUMP
    8:54 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

This might be a little far fetched but is it possible that Poythress has good enough grade (heard he was very good student) to get an academic scholarship? Or since Polson has graduated (or will in May), how big does his class load need to be? I remember when Matt Lainart at USC came back for his sr year after he had graduated and took like 3 classes with one being ballroom dancing. That would lighten the cost if Polson had to walk on this year. Just a couple of thoughts this morning.

50. ItzBadAndy
    8:54 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Watched this kid at Marshall County and he is legit. Fantastic athlete and I think he finished with around 30pts against Travis High (The Twins). I am so glad we have a strong back up point guard if Andrew ever gets in any foul trouble. There definately won’t be any decrease in athletic ability.

51. rambo
    8:55 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Scored 29 points against the twins, impresses me!

52. cristoforouk
    8:57 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Not sure why people think he can’t get minutes next year. Who is our back up point guard? It will be Polson or Hawkins. You telling me he can’t beat out Polson for back up minutes? I’ve never seen him play but he sounds like a perfect complement to Polson for next year. If Harrison gets in foul trouble or needs a break, Cal can choose to put in either Polson or Hawkins based on the team we are playing and how the game is going.

53. ajh
    8:58 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

IF he is as good as everyone says he is, that good in the sense that hopefully he’ll be someone that can legit challenge and test Andrew Harrison.

54. Brent
    8:58 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

He was so nervous lol…he even thanked the bus drivers! Great kid, he will be beloved here.

55. Tom Blevins
    8:58 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

After Harrow decided to transfer, and after Goodwin entered the draft, (and burned his b ridges behind him by selling autographs) I was concerned about next year’s squad. We had 3 people who could play guard, the Harrison twins and James Young. If we don’t get Wiggens, JY will be the starting small forward. Jon hood helped some by announcing he was coming back next season. Dominique Hawkins just helped some more when he committed to Kentucky. I’m glad he’s a cat!

56. Here We go Now
    8:58 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I dont know Dominique but am friends with people in the bb community that do know him. They speak very highly of him as a player and as a person. They beleive any team will be better with him on it because of the intangibles he brings to team and chemistry.

Dominique has many of the qualitites that many of you complained that last years team lacked.

This is his dream and it matters to him.

Congrats and Good Luck to Dominque!

57. Wall2Cousins
    8:59 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

47. The kid couldn’t guard anyone…played in 33 games and only made 6 3-pointers,had 35 assist and wopping 25 turnovers…that

58. wkcatsfans
    9:02 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Welcome to the BBN, Dominique! Admittedly, I haven’t seen him play, but I trust Cal’s judgement. I don’t think he’d offer a scholarship to him unless he felt like he could contribute.

59. John Ellis
    9:03 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Given how he played in the state tourney, I wouldn’t presume he won’t be the starting point guard in two years and no lock to stay four. Which bodes well for UK as there has never been a title without a significant contribution from a Ky. kid. Polson made a large contribution this year and no reason to think he won’t next year too. This year’s team never learned to defend, that will be the question next year – is there a stopper?

60. Brad
    9:04 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

#7 I’ve read to think as Hawkins as a more athletic Anthony Epps.

61. SteveA
    9:04 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m happy for Hawkins. Congrats!

62. JKUK
    9:04 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@57 yeah, Polson struggled against super athletic guards this year. But even though Harrow had more talent and athleticism than JP, JP gave all he had. That’s something that was sorely lacking on this lat team, and that is why I am very glad he plays for Kentucky.

63. Dc cat
    9:04 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

23 and 31 – wtf? Why so negative?

43 – why? He’s worked hard, delivered necessary competition in practice and played crucial minutes thus year – which would have been even worse wout him. Just bc he’s not pro arterial does not mean he should not have worn a uk jersey.

64. cristoforouk
    9:05 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

57 – Sounds pretty good for a walk on if you ask me. What exactly do you expect from walk ons? So by your theory should Sam Malone, Brian Long, and Tod Lanter not wear the UK jersey?

65. niaps
    9:05 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

57 where the hell you get your stats ? Polson played great all year and Never hurt the team when he was on the floor. Had he been a starter instead of crybaby Harrow we win more and go to NCAA. You sir are a troll from another team that got burned by Polson it seems to me.

66. not a chance
    9:07 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

46) no way. This team doesn’t make the n.I.t if polson starts at point. He started against Tennessee played the majority of the minutes and we lost by 30. I like polson as a walk on. lets be real here when polson was in the game cal had goodwin bringing the ball up just as much as polson. That wasn’t an accident.

67. Tebkats
    9:08 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

What do you mean teaching new point guards by his junior year he will be the starting point guard. Would rather have four year of Hawkins than one year of Wiggins.

68. Cotton Mash
    9:09 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Lots of benefits to a deep bench, but the one I most
    look forward is having plenty of fouls to spread around
    and not sweating about what kind of game the stinkin’ refs
    are going to call and effectively take us out of the game.

69. Jeremy
    9:09 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

BetterGetReady Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 8:40 am

Good try man, but I know you and your really a card fan.
    Enjoy you championship bro, already trolling two days after winning it…Amazing!

Thats the problem with you card fans, just won it all and STILL only worried about the CATS! Better enjoy it know, gonna be a long 30 years before you win it again!

70. Some of these comments
    9:10 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Seriously. I can’t tell which of you are u of l trolls or really poor UK fans.

71. Big Bear
    9:11 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

It takes a helluva kid to know that he has to accept this role. He is a great competitor and very year Cal is going to go recruit the country’s best guards to start at UK each year enroute to the NBA. This isn’t a negative; it just speaks to this kids character and confidence.

72. John Ellis
    9:11 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

This gets washed out – yes, UK was in the NIT, but they lost their best player and the defensive player of the year set to beat Davis’ block record half way through the season. With Nerlans, UK was a sweet 16 team. Any team losing their best player for the year would have had issues. Without Diang Lullville doesn’t make the Final Four. So we need to stop trashing this past year – beat Florida, Missouri without Nerlans and were one win from the tourney. Something to build on.

73. Ummmmm
    9:12 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Everybody get off my case, I’m not saying he will get mop up minutes his whole career, just next year. When I say he’s battling for 8th best freshman, and you throw in cauley stein, poythress, and polson (who I do believe will be back up PG), then you’re looking at 6th man off the bench at best. In a few years he will be in the rotation, just not next year

74. ksu
    9:12 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

all of you a$$ holes dogging on polson again. he should have started and played the whole year and he wont loose him ride. hawkins isnt as good as him and smaller. just like they said about hawkins, another guard on the bench to mentor the next crop of recruits. he will be just like polson. both deserved better.

75. Jeremy
    9:12 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Coach Cal himself said the kid reminds him of Bledsoe! I am 100% GLAD to have the kid and feel lucky we could find a way to give him a scholarship! Mark my words, CARD fans are going to be eating their words and wishing pitino would’ve got him ala Chris lofton, Rondo etc!

76. John Ellis
    9:13 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Without Polson UK loses to Maryland and gets routed by George Mason. He couldn’t guard the best guards and neither could Michigan.

77. Rixter
    9:14 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

You’re right, BetterGetReady.. Georgia State.
    Or Northwestern.
    Or wherever Rakeem Buckles was sent to…. er I mean wanted to go to be closer to home.
    Or wherever Stephan Van Treese was headed to be closer to home, before Pitino’s latest recruit didn’t pan out and Van Treese decided he didn’t want to be closer to home after all.

78. mark
    9:17 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Dad doesnt look very happy, isnt Hawkins related to Marquis Estill?

79. Jeremy
    9:17 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

#74 Hey man, these are fans on message boards. Some we don’t even know if they are CAT fans. I loved Polson and he was HUGE for us this season and if you ask TRUE UK fans, then they would say the same! Don’t listen to people on twitter or message boards, they are just idiots with a platform to preach!

80. Jeremy
    9:18 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

#77 very true! Jared Swoopshire. pitino will kick Ware off next year when he heals up like he did swoopshire. Yet he cares about his guys!

81. BetterGetReady
    9:19 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

69 – Sorry to disappoint. BBN cradle to grave. I wan’t being negative, either. But Cal’s not gonna stop bringing in studs, and he’s not gonna hold a spot for a kid if he needs room for a highly touted recruit.

82. Big Blue 66
    9:21 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

may i be the first to name him …..Barracuda….i dont have a clue why, but most teams should want a Barracuda…..its the new honey badger

83. Licamo catzo
    9:22 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Great news! Maybe he can licamo catzo Once in a while!

84. wildcat
    9:22 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

So happy for him as far as i know another kid from richmind ky representing at UK just like his cousin M.Estill

85. Rixter
    9:23 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Come on, Jeremy..Pitino wouldn’t do that. BUT, there’s a good chance the kid will ‘decide he wants to rehab closer to home’….
    rehab must be hell at U of L, all the injured players prefer to leave and rehab somewhere else.

86. fan_UK
    9:24 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

to #78 yes he is that is his cousin

87. blueballs
    9:26 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

so does he play in the derby classic with Willis?

88. Mattcat68
    9:27 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

One thing I can say about Hawkins, he is definitely NOT afraid of contact. In fact, he welcomes it.

89. CatsFanMike
    9:28 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I saw Hawkins play in the state tournament. He has game and is a winner. He will be a valuable addtion to the roster for four years. You can’t have just 5 star recruits. You need guys like Hawkins on the team. Glad Cal landed him.He will be a fan favorite and a contributor.

90. bilbo
    9:30 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

UK fans are haters….kid reached his dream and you talk trash…how you know he won’t play or even start this year..no one knows practice hasn’t started

Just because half of you live in your moms basement and ate Virgins and can’t dribble a ball doesn’t mean you can just talk trash

91. Rixter
    9:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure how much you can tell about a Kentucky kid in high school, the competition just isn’t that great. I saw Jon Hood play in the LIT as a Senior, and the kid was unstoppable. He would dribble across half court, shake off a couple defenders, then swish a 3 pointer – any time he wanted

92. Rixter
    9:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Who’s eating virgins?

93. brain
    9:39 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Any body who thinks this has any effect on Wiggins is a dumb ass. Welcome Mr. Hawkins.

94. natchamps98
    9:48 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Congrats ! BBN is proud to have u !

95. Porcino's
    9:49 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Some of you people are heartless moronic assholes.

96. Big Blue
    9:52 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

His Dad has the look of “C’mon man, with all the recruits coming, how in the world are you going to see any playing time?”

97. Bbripboy
    9:54 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

This kid does remind me of bledsoe athleticism wise check out his highlights!

98. Chi-TownCat
    9:57 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Welcome aboard Dominique congrats on living the Ky boy dream

99. "Bingo,FrontRow!"
    9:59 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Three-star with heart and toughness > five-star with neither

100. Matt from Richmond
    10:03 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Great kid. I’ve seen him play his whole career and he was dunking on folks in the eighth grade at 5’9″! Very strong and athletic, great crossover and penetration, good midrange game, good passer, the best character a kid could have, well spoken, true competitor, never backs down from a challenge, good student. He had 29 against the twins this yr at the Marshall co. hoopfest and kept Central in the game for the most part. He’s a stellar football rb and very physical. Has 4.5 40 speed. Very coachable, true team player. He WILL get back up minutes next yr and give the twins all they can handle in practice. Needs to work on his 3pt shooting, taking care of the ball, and passing(somewhat). But make no mistake; he will work his butt off and NEVER cause any problems, only help the team and embrace what being a UK player is all about. And who knows? He may end up like miller and drafted. He will be a fan fav for sure.

101. mike
    10:09 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@99 you mean Hawkins > Harrow

102. Mark
    10:10 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

This might be a stretch but I think Hawkins is a small version of Joe Crawford. Stocky, tough with a solid mid range game. Has great hops.

103. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:11 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

17) And others must have seen somebody different then I did. How can you compair Hawkins and Bledsoe? They are nothing alike. Hawkins is small and slow and this is nothing but local pressure on Cal to get this kid. If you think he will even smell the court this year your crazy.
    I don’t mind him comeing on, but to set and say he’s going to play next year is crazy. He will be behind the Harrison’s, Young, Polson, and Hood next year. I hope he does work like Polson did and become a role player in time. It’s just not going to happen next year.
    I wonder if there is a chance we red shirt Hawkins and Willis next year. That way they would get the benift of playing with a great team next year plus not lose a year. Just sickens me to see some come on here and act like he’s Bledsoe that isn’t fair to him because this kid just isn’t that good!!!!!!!!!!

104. Matt from Richmond
    10:15 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

105. J
    10:16 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

@31 your a moron!! Yeah Georgia state awaits him because Sam Malone Brian long
    And John hood are so much better than be is. Please go jump off a bridge!

106. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:19 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

100) I don’t know what your smoking in Richmond but that is totally inaccurate. Hawkins is slow compared to other D1 PG. he can’t shoot and doesn’t have the size to play slow. At least Polson is 6’4 and can shoot. No way he even compairs to Miller or will be drafted. I know at least 3 high schools he couldn’t start at in the 14th region.
    If you want to compair him to someone he’s a little taller version of Brandon Stockton, who like Hawkins excelled against KHSAA talent but was exposed at UK. He may well develope in to a role similar to Polson in a couple years and that would be great. Just stop with this talk of him playing next year and being like Miller who was 6’7.

107. Mark
    10:24 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

106) Really??? Can’t shoot??? Did you ever even watch the kid play??? Did you watch the Sweet 16??? He was Mr. Basketball and he would start at any school in this state and many others, fool.

108. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:28 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

37 he’s not the player Epps was. Seems like most have forgot that the 96 team didn’t find their stride untill Epps was made the starting. PG after the UMass loss. Epps very well could have been the best true PG UK has had in 20 years. Notice I said true PG at UK not Pro potential.
    I’ve seen Hawkins play several times and he’s more like Stockton who was better in HS then most give him credit for. I think he will be a capable back up PG in time. He’s just not as good as some are acting he’s NOT Miller, Bledsoe, or Epps and it’s unfair to expect him to be.

109. UKBlue1!
    10:28 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I hate UL fans.

110. Billy
    10:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

As a louisville fan I would have much rather seen him have the oppertunity to go to the Cards. That being said I am glad this young man will be at UK. From all I have heard he is a tremendous young man and deserves the chance to chase his dream at UK. Much like Kyle Bolin the QB that we have signed out of Lexington. Its about the boys and no matter who we root for I hope we can put the hope for all the young mens success ahead of our rivalry. Good job UK for taking Domonique

111. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

107 yes I watched the sweet 16 and Hawkins was on a good TEAM. The Justice kid from KCC put on a lot better proformance then any of the guards down there, he was just on less of a team. don’t get on here and act like Hawkins won the sweet 16 by his self he had 4 other GOOD players on the floor with him.
    Anybody with any who has followed KSAA basketball will tell you MR, Basketball is more a popularity contest then a gauge of who the best player is.

112. BetterGetReady
    10:38 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

105 – Not saying he’s not good enough. Just saying he better realize he’s on an accelerated time table as a scholarship player at UK. And that time table is NOT four years, unless we have extra room, which we won’t if Cal keeps bringing in stud recruiting classes. Not hating on the kid, I like his game. But he’d better get ready. That was my only point. There’s no pressure to shed walk-ons, and Jon Hood had a serious injury, so I don’t understand how those guys enter into the argument.

113. Billy
    10:38 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Oh he can play also. I have seen him several times and he will develope alot in the next 2 years. Give these guys a chance before you start saying he cant do this or that. Alot of great players in college that the experts said didnt have it out of high school. Good luck Domonique.

114. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:40 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

107 ans I guess you didn’t watch the sweet 16 because Hawkins scored most of his points from 10 foot and in and that is something he will not do at UK!
    Tell me there 107 are you one of the ones on here saying that Hawlins will come in and play over Polson next year, never mi d that Polson is bigger, has a better shot, 3 years under Cal plus has been threw the SEC and played major minutes in big games. LOL
    Again I’m not saying he should have come to UK and I hope he developes into a great role player. Just don’t get on here and act like he’s something he’s NOT. It’s not fair to this kid let him develope like most freshman do learn in practice and from sitting a year and watching.

115. Billy
    10:42 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

112) And here in lies the problem.These kids commit to play at a university and the the school doesnt commit to 4 years. I thought this was about STUDENT ATHLETES. The term Student athlete is a joke. To bad for the kids.

116. Litig8tr
    10:45 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

49–Even if they give Polson an academic scholarship, I believe it still counts against the basketball limit.

117. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:45 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

113 I agree with every thing you said. It just we have some getting on here talking about how much Hawkins is going to play next year and comparing him to Bledsoe or miller! And this kid just isn’t that type of player as most aren’t t. That’s not knocking the kid it being honest Miller was 6’7 and Bledsoe had world class speed not to mention a lot better jumper the Hawkins

118. Billy
    10:52 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

117)Well you are correct. But as a former player sometimes that isnt everything. There are alot of players that are “Crafty” this kid is crafty and he has been coached. His game comes from being coached in fundamentals. That is alot different than being coached on the AAU circut. I think you saw alot of that this year. Domonique is a intellegent guy and will be able to learn the finer points of the college game.But the biggest thing I see with him is he plays within himself. I think he will know his limitations. That being said he is a tremendous athlete.Dont get caught up in all the analyst hype on these players.

119. Like Bledsoe???????????
    10:53 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Best way to solve this is for the Mr. And Ms. Basketball winners to receive a full ride to any state school they choose. The KHSAA makes enough money off these kids to pay for it plus it would give our kids a better chance to go to UK or UL if they want. I’m sure both coaches would be fine with letting the MR. Basketball walk on with a full payed scholarship that doesn’t count against there total allotment.

120. Dee W.
    11:20 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

“Polson should have never worn a UK jersey in the first place.”

#43, that is beyond absurd. He has been a very valuable member of the team, especially this past season. You are a troll, not a fan, so say something like that.

121. Like Bledsoe?????
    11:31 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

38 yes Polson was brought in as a preferred walk on. He has more then earned his ride. Yes, count me as one who would be upset if he didn’t get to keep his ride for his senior year. In know way should UK give his ride up for Hawkins. I would have 0 problem with Polson giving it up because his family is wealthy as some have implied. Other then that way not let Hawkins earn his ride like Polson has. It’s not like we are talking about Wiggins we are talking about a kid who will be on the bench this up coming year!
    The question should be with Polson and Hood being seniors. Plus with the players on next years team being foe sure one and dones would UK be better served red shirting Hawkins and Willis letting them gain experence in practice which should be better then the games and not lose a year!

122. Dee W.
    11:35 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

117 – “Some getting on here” are comparing him to Bledsoe? That was from Coach John Calipari. If you disagree with it, fine…but don’t act like it didn’t come from somewhere authoritative and people are just making it up.

123. Wall2Cousins
    11:40 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

120. put your lame “Polson is a KY kid” kool-aid cr!p away….the kid is a bum….half of us on here could beat the kid one-on-one…some of you people down south in KY need to get a grip on reality….KY is all about elite talent in America in NOT this oh he is a KY kid he should be starting reguardless of his lack of athletic ability.

124. me
    11:42 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Not to diminish what JP did for us this year, I love the kid and thought he stepped up and overachieved this season – but don’t be ridiculous saying we would’ve had a better season with him as our primary PG. He’s a great FT shooter, great energy, great attitude. But he’s slow, has a bad jumpshot, turnover-prone, can’t get to the rim, and a poor passer. Hawkins is a similar player but smaller and a decent scorer. Maybe he’ll be like Khalif Wyatt (youtube him, best least-talented player EVER) in a couple of years.

125. Wall2Cousins
    11:44 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

CALLING ME A TROLL…ass#hole i been a big blue fan since Mashburn came to Kentucky….you only calling me a troll cause i don;t think like most of you hillbillies from KY who never played basketball have this notion that because he is a ky kid he is entitled to play for Kentucky….that old school Adolph Rupp crap don’t work in todays game…get a grip its 2013 not 1973.

126. Like Bledsoe???????
    11:54 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

125 are you talking about that Rupp crap that got 4 titles and over 800 wins! I’ve got no problem with taking Kentucky kids. They do help just as Polson does and Hawkins will in a couple years. Don’t confuse me saying that Hawkins isn’t Bledsoe and not wanting him at UK.
    122 Cal said his toughness was like Bledsoe he didn’t say his game was!

127. Dee W.
    11:55 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

123 – first of all, I am not from “south KY” and there is nothing on here to suggest that I am – you made that up, like everything else you said. Even if I were, that’s just some silly typecast you are trying to foist on people to declare their opinion invalid so you don’t even have to address the actual facts and points they raise. I also said nothing about whether or not he should be starting – again – made up. “half of us on here could beat the kid one-on-one” – ridiculous – do you really expect to be taken seriously saying nonsense like that? “KY is all about elite talent in America in NOT this oh he is a KY kid he should be starting reguardless of his lack of athletic ability.” He does not “lack athletic ability” – beyond absurd! No, he isn’t an NBA player, and no that is not what Kentucky basketball is all about – you don’t pay any attention to Kentucky basketball, know nothing of its history, and are certainly not a fan to making those kinds of statements, and certainly you weren’t paying attention this past year to make these comments about Polson. “the kid is a bum” – childish nonsense. It is juvenile to come on here and defame someone like you have done in this manner. Grow up.

128. Dee W.
    11:56 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

126 – fair enough, but that was the origin of them running with it.

129. Spenser
    11:58 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

I agree with “Like Bledsoe??????” we should probably redshirt Hawkins and definitely Willis. We could lose two front-court players for the whole year next year and it’s still highly unlikely that Willis would see the floor. We should give both players a year to develop then starting next year they can help out after the mass exodus of Kentucky players to the NBA draft. I would rather have these two guys around 5 years as opposed to just 4.

130. Like Bledsoe???????
    12:03 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

125 if you are such a UK fan you should know Rupp was way ahead of his time. He was running fast breaks in the 40’s. His teams where scoring in the 70’s and 80’s back then. He didn’t have black players but if you will do any recearch of your own you would know that Rupp being a raciest was far from the truth. He desperately wanted Wes Unseld and Jim Rose and recruited them very hard. Many at the time thought he was being raciest because he told them that he couldn’t protect them when they went to Mississippi or into Alabama.
    Unseld later in life said Rupp was correct and knew UK needed a player who could handle things like Jackie Robinson did in baseball or it could have set integration back 10 more years. If people would look at the Rupp era objectively they would know if Rupp had blacks in his system we would have doubled what UCLA has now!

131. bluesince66
    12:47 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I beleive coach Cal is th eone making comparisons to Bledsoe, and Cal has said Polson is the best walk on he’s ever had. So I think I’ll take his word over you guys.

132. Like Bledsoe??????
    1:04 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Agian Cal never said his game reminded him of Bledsoe just his toughness and any body who’s watched this kid know’s he’s tough as nails. Again I’ve never said I thought the kid was a scrub or that I didn’t want him at UK. All I said is he’s not Bledsoe and not to throw Polson under the bus and think this kid is going to play over him next year.
    It’s not fair to Hawkins to expect that much out of him. He’s just a freshman who like MOST freshman needs time to grow.

133. SMH
    1:43 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Like Bledsoe??????? — I can’t take seriously someone who uses threw for through, raciest for racist, comeing for coming, develope for develop, proformance for performance, his self for himself, there for their, know for no, etc., etc. There are so many spelling and grammar errors in your posts it’s almost comical if it weren’t just sad.

134. Dee W.
    2:51 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

125 – you are indeed a troll. Nonsense about Kentucky only being about so-called “elite” talent – by your standards as you have outlined, The Unforgettables should have never worn a Kentucky jersey. None of them were “elite” or NBA caliber – only one was even drafted, and didn’t last. No, they weren’t “elite” – but they gave the team heart and spirit.

135. Buckets
    5:18 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Great news! Glad to have you aboard!

136. Jorts' Tightie Whities
    10:08 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Let’s be honest about Jarrod – he is a much better athlete than most people give him credit for, and there is a very good chance he is a better athlete than Hawkins. He led a not-very-good West Jessamine team to the final four (Jr.) and elite eight (sr.) of the state tournament when he was in high school. He’s played against Knight, Teague, etc. in practice. He won at least 3-4 games for KY last year that had he not played in, we would have lost. He is a pretty good backup point guard who has trouble defending large/quick guards. There’s no way, as long as he stays, that Hawkins beats him out for the backup (backup) job behind the Harrison twins. Maybe he shouldn’t have been the full time starter this past year, but that’s Harrow’s (or Cal’s, depending on how you view it) fault, not Jarrod’s. Jarrod deserved to start the vast majority of the year, and as Kentucky fans I can’t imagine not cheering for and loving the kid who played his heart out every game. If you say he doesn’t deserve a KY uniform, and I would wager I speak for 95% of Kentucky fans, I don’t want you cheering for my team. Go cheer for Louisville or Duke, where I am sure you will fit right in.