Dominican UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

dominican-fans-of-the-day

This picture came from a reader on a mission trip in the Dominican Republic and noted that it’s not just a Big Blue Nation anymore.  It’s a Big Blue World.  Which reminds me, where is Laodu?????

A few notes…

– Coach Cal said he wants a scholarship offer from Kentucky to be seen as a reward to be earned.  Apparently Mitch McGary has made himself worthy of that prize.  According to former KSRer Alex Kline, UK offered McGary today.  The five-star big man received offers from Duke and North Carolina yesterday and told reporters that Maryland is recruiting him the hardest.

– Everyone’s favorite BTI hater, Mike DeCourcy, profiled UK target DaJuan Coleman’s efforts to trim his weight and continue to become more of an effective player.  Coleman says he’s at 285 right now, down ten pounds, and that he’s targeting 275 as his ideal playing weight.  DeCourcy adds that some coaches were concerned that he was becoming to comfortable with his jump shot at the LeBron James camp, but he put those concerns to rest by attacking the post and playing physical last night.

– And in case you still aren’t worn down from all this recruiting talk, CBS Sports talked with Chris Thomas about his interest in Kentucky, as well as all the other recruiting stuff one talks to prospects about.  Thomas says he’s interested in the Cats, Arizona and Xavier and that his goals are simple.  He just wants to have fun, get a degree and go to the NBA.  Don’t we all.  The story also includes a rundown of the top performers at the adidas Invitational.  It’s a list of many names you’ll recognize from these neverendin stories about recruiting.

– In their series of looks at SEC assistant coachces, ESPN looks at Tee Martin and the heavy task he has this year in improving Kentucky’s wide receivers.  I tried to read it but all I could think about was scoreboards and soundsystems.

– Speaking of football, there’s more preseason watch fun for you.  Larry Warford is on the Outland Tropy list and Danny Trevathan is on the Nagurski Award list.  The Outland is for the best lineman and the Nagurski is for best defensive player.

– I’ve heard whispers that the rain in Kentucky is nearly as neverending as it is in Tampa right now.  So since we all need a little sunshine, I think I’ve found it.  Bruce Pearl believes he will coach again.  Pearl told an Atlanta radio station that he’s awaiting to hear the NCAA’s ruling on the Tennessee case and thinks that he’ll get another chance to coach because, well, he’s good at it.  Pearl said that even when he was about to be fired at the end of the year, his approval rating was probably around 90% because he was winning games.  He must have watched a different team than we did.

– It’s not nearly as solid as John Wall putting one on Jerry Stackhouse at the same event, but Austin Rivers dunked on an almost-trying Rasheed Wallace.  And then he did some other stuff that involved jumping and flailing his arms.

– Finally, here’s Tony Parker with a jet pack.  Jon Hood and his four-wheeler are not impressed.

tony-parker-jet-pack

If you missed Kentucky Sports Radio this morning, check out the podcast below.  Matt was joined by the great Oscar Combs, who talked about how a haircut can make you look naughty and imparted some wisdom.  Give it a listen.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

12 Comments for Dominican UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

1. AKA cold buckets
    2:22 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

Heard TJ Warren got an offer, too.

2. fan
    3:00 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

McGary…McGary…McGary…

3. tdogg4033011
    3:03 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

Pearl had 1 good team at UT and thats because Lofton could hit 30 ft contested 3 pointers. Billy G
    even beat Pearl at UK ….. who told him he could coach?? LOL

4. Hoss
    3:09 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t that an old CCR song?

“Oh, Lawd…stuck ina Laudu, again.”

5. burntlungs
    3:16 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

I would like to know the reader that sent in this pic. I donated about 30 shirts to the salvation army that looked like this with a wildcat on the back and I would be happy to know if my shirts made it down there. Please let me know andrewfleming at gmail dot c0m

6. macon_volfan
    3:20 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

#3-I guess that UT team that made it as far as the UK team with Blue Jesus wasn’t any good.

7. #6 – macon_volfan – Tennessee sucks and their fans are the underlying reason.

8. macon_volfan
    4:13 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

#7-you don’t represent the UK faithful very well yourself.

9. #8 – macon_volfan – You know nothing about me. Yet, I know Tennessee fans suck.

Anybody who goes to a game at Neyland/Thompson—Boling from an opposing team can vouch. Dodging bottles and cans thrown at you as you arrive leave. If they are getting beat, they are worse than the blue hairs of Rupp. They’ll just leave at halftime.

You know exactly what I’m talking about.

That’s suck…

10. Tarheellove
    5:44 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

Look at inside carolinas video of Dexter Strickland owning rivers. They had to separate them bc they were too physical.

Tarheels won. Rivers’ back hurts from carrying his team

11. OneOneSix
    5:48 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

#5 – I’m the one who took this picture (one of my buddies that’s in the picture sent it in). The t-shirts were brought down by our group and given to the Dominican guys. We ran a 4-day basketball camp and gave out t-shirts, shoes, etc. to our players at the end of the week.

12. macon_volfan
    10:44 pm July 8, 2011 Permalink

#9-I was almost run down crossing North Broadway in Lexington whilst attending Transy in 1998 wearing an orange UT jacket. After I dodged the car, the driver rolled down the window and yelled “CAYTS!!!” So that trumps the bottle and the curse words.

EVERY fan base has bad seeds. I will say I was treated much better at a UL/UT bball game that I EVER was at a UT game at Rupp. And the games I go to at TBA (which isn’t a lot, mind you) I’ve never seen anyone do bad stuff. Had a good experience at Commonwealth the few times I went there.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Hope no one tried to kill you with their car.