Does UK Have Ten Winnable Football Games On Its Schedule?

schedule

Go ahead, try and click on the ‘tickets’ link.  I dare you.

Now, before you shout me down with a ‘no,’ hear me out.  While the biggest certainty for the Kentucky football season this year is it’s uncertainty, one of the things that we do know is – Kentucky has a favorable schedule.  At least, favorable enough for a mid level SEC team.  So take a look at the schedule and let’s categorize the games.

Cupcakes – Now, cupcakes are meant to be eaten.  I’m not saying a loss here is impossible (just look at Michigan a few years back,) but in most scenarios – unless something goes horribly wrong – Kentucky wins these three games.

[email protected] Western

-Central Michigan

-Jacksonville State

Will most likely win

-Louisville – I think Louisville is bringing its football program around.  In a few more years they  may be a legitimate threat in the Big East.  But they shouldn’t beat Kentucky at Commonwealth this year.  Joker takes the game with Louisville very seriously (‘this is my state,’) so expect Kentucky to get the win.

[email protected] – Same with Vandy, surprisingly.  Vanderbilt has been knocking it out of the park with football recruiting lately, but those players won’t get there for another year, so despite the game being played in Nashville, expect the Cats to win.

Should win

-Mississippi State

-Ole Miss

Both of those games are the games Kentucky says they should win every time they play them.  Sadly it doesn’t always work out that way.  But with both the Mississippi schools coming to Commonwealth, the games are entirely winnable, and that’s what we’re looking at.

Could win

Now we’re getting in to the more sketchy area.  These are games that Kentucky could win.  I don’t expect them to win all three, nor do I really expect them to win two.  Hell, I’d be delighted with one.  As long as it’s a certain one.

[email protected] Carolina – Joker beat the streak last year, can he start one of his own?

[email protected] – Kentucky and Georgia have actually had a pretty back and forth series the past few years.  If this game were at home I would give Kentucky a fairer shot, but it’s a game that Cats could still win.

-Tennessee – Not in the ‘should win’ category solely because of the psychological weight of the streak.

Don’t really see it happening

Anything can happen in college football.  That’s why you play the game.  I will certainly watch and cheer for the Cats, but a win against these next two would be a complete shock – and likely mean a pretty special season.

-Florida – Even with Florida coming into the season with a lot of question marks, it will be tough to beat them that early in the season after an emotional game with Louisville.  Not impossible, but improbable at the least.

[email protected] – People rarely beat LSU at LSU.  It’s one of the toughest places to play in college football, it will be Kentuckys first true road test, and Les Miles will make a call to go for it on 4th and 32 to win the game because that’s what he does.

———

As I see it, there are 10 winnable games on the Kentucky schedule.  It’s hard to make an accurate prediction with such a new offense, but I legitimately see this team winning 6-8 of those 10.  What do you think Cats fans?

Article written by Will Lentz

89 Comments for Does UK Have Ten Winnable Football Games On Its Schedule?

1. Brewer
    8:04 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Unless Newton REALLY steps up, King and another WR emerge as threats, and Steve Brown is banned from attending practice, I don’t see us winning more than 6

2. Debbie Downer
    8:09 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Is there any reason to expect anything other than a mediocre season again?

Should’ve invested the scoreboard/speaker money in something that would’ve yielded a return….new head coach maybe?

3. Yup
    8:11 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Don’t want to be negative nancy but we’re lucky to go 7-5…6-6 more likely

4. BigBlueBrock
    8:21 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

4-6 wins, that’s it. It doesn’t matter what games should, could, or appear to be wins, because we will shit the bed just like we always do: When it counts.

5. Manbearpig
    8:22 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

6-6 and another trip to the Music City!

6. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:27 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

The good thing about UK football through the Rich Brooks era up until now is that we are able to say that the football CATS can win any game they play. I couldn’t say that back in my days at UK (1997-2002)when we were winning 2 & 3 games some years. The question was “Does UK Have Ten Winnable Football Games On Its Schedule?” Every game is winnable now. That’s right.

I agree that Florida and LSU seem to be the toughest two games on the schedule as of now before the season starts, but those games aren’t out of the realm of possible wins. We did beat LSU a few years ago when they won the national championship that year.

I’m always overly optimistic but I will scale it back just a bit to keep the haters a bit relieved and say that we have 11 winnable games. If I had to discount one game it will be the @ LSU game. Few teams win in death valley. Florida is at home and if we are to break the streak, which has to happen sooner or later, it will be at home.

Word up, holla at ‘cha boy.

7. Sam
    8:30 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

5 wins, 6 if we beat UT

8. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:30 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Apparently people can’t understand your question Will. Everybody wants to give their predictions for finally win/loss totals, and be negative [email protected] along the way. Way to be excited about the season guys. SMH

9. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:30 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

10. Vott
    8:31 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

The Defense will be really solid. The O-line will be awesome. King is a stud in the making. The running game should open things up for Roark, and Adams. There are some good young recievers and I am looking for one to step up. I am looking forward to seeing Newton mature into the man. I see 7-8 wins and maybe a shocking 9th win.

11. Calipari'sInYourEar
    8:32 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

You can’t talk about “winnable games” with a completely new offense.

If your Florida or Alabama yea, but not UK.

We have to establish a new consistency on offense with new players and hope our defense will appear from that dreaded illness that somehow plagued Darius Miller early in his college career.

This team above all has to take one game at a time. Therefore, winnable games this season?

1 (at a time).

12. Big Blue 502
    8:33 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I could see us getting 8. The first 3. Drop the next 2. We’ll beat miss st. or ole miss. Not both. Beat vandy, lose at uga. And finally beat that damn rocky top.

13. Chad B
    8:35 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

lucky to win 4

14. John W.
    8:37 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Although I actually mostly agree with you, there is no way that Mississippi State is a “should win”. They are a preseason ranked team. At home, they are a “could win”. On the other hand, I think Florida is a “could win” at home too.

15. SexnNursinHomes
    8:41 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

12-0 b*tches. I say that every year

16. SexnNursinHomes
    8:41 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Make that 13-0 after we win the title. B*tches

17. Smart Money
    8:41 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

4-5 wins most likely. You’re approaching this like a logical football fan, but lifelong UK fans know better. Temper those expectations or else you will be disappointed 9 out of 10 times.

18. echo 1
    8:42 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

In a dream world, 8 wins. Everything must fall perfectly for that. I’m saying 6 wins.

19. joker
    8:47 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

im just trying to be real so anyone who disagrees with me please note its not coming from a place of hate. i’ve been a UK football fan for a long time and im serious when i say this is the least talented team we’ve had in a very long time, probably since before the bowl streak started. with that said i dont want to shout 8, 9 wins and be let down by another 6-6 season. i think this is a rebuilding season and keeping the bowl streak alive should be the realistic goal. anyone shouting 8-9 even 10 wins will be screaming for jokers head before the Vandy game. also saying UL is a most likely win is troubling too. that game UK will be favorite by 3 maybe 4. you put that expectation on jokers head and your asking for a letdown

20. TeeMartinsBlackAss
    8:49 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

how is miss state a should win this year or every year in the past thats stupid, miss state is going to probably kick our ass, and ut is not winnable either, you football blogers on this site are retarded. hartline bitches.

21. Calipari'sInYourEar
    8:50 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I’m so glad the Hatline era is over. Not to be a hater but I am just ready to move on.

22. Calipari'sInYourEar
    8:50 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

*Hartline

23. Skippy Fernandez
    8:53 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I can see 10 losses on that list before I see 10 wins. I think the Cats will be fortunate to go 6-6 and get into the (fill in the blank) bowl. 7-5 would be a very good year and 8 wins or more would be outstanding! I’m just not sold on Morgan Newton. Joker seems to think Newton is another Michael Vick, but I haven’t seen it yet, arm or legs. I do think the D will be improved, just not sure how much.

24. kentuckygentleman
    8:58 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Only thing I disagree with is that Miss State should be in the “could win” category. They will be good this year, not Bama or LSU good, but pretty good. Also, past history shows home field doesn’t mean squat in this series.

25. UK Jerry
    9:00 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

If ur going to b this full of hater aid. Go cheer for the lousy cards we do want u. Joker will get us to the next level of bowl games. 8-4 going to the sunshine state for a Real bowl. If u have a problem with that kiss my furry cat butt! I get so Sick of the fair weather crappers who think a coaching change will cause the turn around they wish. Not going to happen till RB took over the coachs tombstone fill nutter field house. Now we r building on class at a time. So all u haters go away!!!! Uk will one day win the East an as always have a chance at a title by winning the east. So stay the course Cats its close enough to sniff. Have doubts ? Always but this not the same as the hate I c here.
    Joker is our Coach get over it or get off the wagon forever!!!

26. tdogg4033011
    9:01 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

6) nice outlook …… holla atcha boy !!!!

27. Hard Hittin' CAT
    9:05 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

21) Yeah, I’m glad Hartlne’s gone too. So glad to have our 5th ranked offense and 2nd ranked passing ranking gone with a little hope for our new QB position to hold onto. Really smart.

28. SexnNursinHomes
    9:07 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

25- I totally agree. Morons yellin at Joker don’t realize THERE is no type flight football coach that will stay at UK. UK is a bball school, and as much as I would like us to prevail in ALL sports. There is no effin’ way a brand name coach will stay at UK beyond one or two good years. They will leave us for a FOOTBALL school. period. Yet tlet’s just yell at the guy who bleeds blue. I’ll never understand why our own fans will harp on Joker.

29. JDH
    9:07 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I can’t see 10 wins but I think the Cats can possibly win 9. I would add South Carolina as a “don’t really see it happening game”. Do I think that they will win 9? No, but I think they can. Now, what do I think their record will be? I’m going to say 7-5.

30. Karl Marx
    9:07 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

How many times are you idiots gonna keep calling Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss St. “should win” games? We are LUCKY to win 2 out of 3 every year.

5-7. No quarterback. No bowl.

31. Hard Hittin' CAT
    9:08 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

27) there’s my boy. GO CATS!!

32. duane
    9:15 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

great schedule…wrong year. Last couple of teams may have had a real chance to win 8 plus games. I don’t have a very good feeling about this team.6/7 wins seems best case particularly if we have any significant injuries. Hope I am wrong.

33. Goode
    9:21 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

27 – U dont think that was locke and cobb that got those offensive rankings?

Ill be real, im glad locke is gone. We have a very strong oline, good running core and a new defense coordinator. We also have sick speed across the board now.

Morgan Newton breaks out of the shell this year too!

34. August19
    9:23 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

They’re all winnable, or we wouldn’t watch them. Will we win 10 games? Probably not, but we at least have a chance every game on the schedule.

35. Blueburg
    9:25 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

The reality is we will not have a winning season. Like them or not, UT’s new coach and QB are on a much higher level than Joker and Newton.

36. MtnCat
    9:25 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

If Kentucky finds momentum, avoids injury, the ball bounces our way, the refs don’t cheat us, Minter’s schemes work, the players listen, Joker lays it on the line, Newton catches fire, the ball sticks to our receivers, the lines man up, the DBs make a living out of stealing, the LBs mow down everything that moves, special teams sparkle, our RB’s run to daylight, and the fans embrace football beyond Big Blue Madness, we could be in Atlanta playing for the conference championship this year. Rise!

37. birdie
    9:36 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

This is very simple. It really does not matter who we have as coach, we are always going to be in the bottom 3 in this league in talent. We seem to always be much better on side of the ball than the other, that may change a little this year, but I can’t say that is definitely a good thing. We may be mediocre on both sides. Players win games, and we don’t have enough of them.

38. Claud Bawls
    9:44 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

It takes balls to be a UK football fan. It’s pretty easy to tell from these football posts who has them and who doesn’t. Guess which column 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19, and 23 go into.

If you chicken-shits only want to root for basketball because they are winners, that’s fine, it’s your right, but if you’re gonna do that then please leave the football discussions for those of us that are willing to give the players and coaches a chance.

Joker got us to a bowl in his first season as a HC. Anybody giving up on him already is just a hater.

39. radtech04
    10:01 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Screw a bunck of “bowels” I could care less if we go to a bowel. We will SUCK as long a JOKER is coach. He was not the right man for the job. There were better hires out there, and we hired a very $hitty, I mean $hitty offensive coordinator. Now we will suck this year and next year. They will give him at leat 3 years if not 4 to prove he can win. In the mean time we will lose games and vauleable assets like T-martin and what little talented players we do have will transfer.
    BOOK IT>>>>

40. Calipari'sInYourEar
    10:03 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

#36 – MtnCat – You sir should have the microphone in your hand before every game.

With the new speaker system and all we might get back to the Commonwealth of 1997 when an unranked “We Believe” beat the #1 team in the nation. Witness.

41. Calipari'sInYourEar
    10:04 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

*sry… Commonwealth of 2007

42. JPhelps
    10:08 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

If Kentucky finds momentum, avoids injury, the ball bounces our way, the refs don’t cheat us, Minter’s schemes work, the players listen, Joker lays it on the line, Newton catches fire, the ball sticks to our receivers, the lines man up, the DBs make a living out of stealing, the LBs mow down everything that moves, special teams sparkle, our RB’s run to daylight, and the fans embrace football beyond Big Blue Madness, we could be 6-6… It’s football people c’mon…. 6-6 is what we DO!!!

43. Claud Bawls
    10:12 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

36, 37, 40 – Ball check.

44. Keith
    10:15 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I agree with #3, maybe 6 wins!

45. Pierce Buster
    10:15 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Same as every year… 8-4 best case, 7-5 or 6-6 most likely… 4-8 worst case.

46. Marvin b
    10:16 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

There are 10 winnable games on Uk’s schedule, just not for Uk. Just keeping it real!! If they win 6 I’ll be impressed and happy. Music City is just fine!!

47. radtech04
    10:22 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Ok I take all that back. Maybe, just maybe these new coaches may change the way things have been going. I hope so i hope so for the kids. However I WILL NOT go back to commonwealth til we beat UT. Don’t even care if the tickets are free.

48. Jake_GOCATS
    10:25 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

39. Do you even know why UK’s offense looked like before Joker Phillips/ Rich Brooks? I highly doubt it. I completely agree with number 25. I have been a UK fan all my life and will till I die. I am tired f so-called fans who flock to UK football posts to droop about. If you ant support the team in it’s darkest times, then no way in heck should you celebrate when we finally get some steam rolling. Example, everybody praising Hartline when we beat South Carolina last year. Half those “fans” I’d not deserve that. But I guess that’s just the way life goes. As for the question of winnable games, I would say all of them. I mean, before the start of the 2006 season, how many people saw wins at home against Ole Miss, AT Vanderbilt, home against Georgia, AT Mississippi State, and a bowl win against preseason top-15 Clemson? Come on UK fans, have faith in our boys and coaches. It seems every year people’s memory gets clouded. I fully expect no less than 7 wins this year. And I hope or more wins. Go big blue! We are UK!

49. Hard Hittin' CAT
    10:32 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

33) pretty sure that us having the 2nd rated passing offense had everything to do with Hartline. Sorry to inform you.

Go Joker! GO CATS!!!

50. Lex07
    10:35 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Of course there are 10 winnable games on that schedule. If your name is “Alabama”. For UK, I think the max will be 5.

51. keepingitreal
    10:37 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

3-9 at best. We hired Kragthorpe. We are doomed.

52. Hartline
    11:07 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I laughed the whole time reading #36

53. Brewer
    11:20 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Staying “positive” does not entitle you to designate who are fans and who “lacks balls”. I bought my tickets this morning. I will be at every home game and plan on making as many away games as possible. I love UK football. Doesn’t mean I have to feel positive about how this team will perform based on the info available to me. Do I hope I’m wrong? Absolutely. But the way last year turned out isn’t encouraging

54. The Comments
    11:22 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

55. bluetexan
    11:33 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

5-6…6-6 optimistic…FREE MIKE LEACH!

56. Choke
    11:33 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

UK has had 10 winnable games for a few years now. Problem is we always give away at least 3 of them. Watching Joker last year was like watching Kragthorpe. Dude is in over his head. He couldn’t even beat a Big Least team that had no head coach. We’re a 6-7 win football program. That’s who we are. The last time we got more than 8 wins was with Claiborne which was also the last time we beat UT. Every year the same people say we can win 9 or 10 games and every year we don’t. Keep the dream alive though. lol

57. Mark Liptak
    11:47 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Seven wins AT BEST if EVERYTHING breaks their way. Probably six and another 3rd tier minor bowl.

Mark Liptak

58. Football Man
    12:35 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

After watchin’ ’98 Duece is loose win @ LS Who, & ’07 Stevie got loose on the dirty birds…… I’m fired up I say 9-3 should be if we had those type playmakers. Problem is I went to ten games last year and I know no Cobb & no Locke means somebody better set the world on fire!!! I’ll be there . but reality says show me………………………..

59. Jimmy
    12:44 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

No chance. Lucky to get 6 wins. Love the football cats, but let’s start thinking about hoops and #8!

60. Holden McGroin
    12:48 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

gonna be another ho-hum year, lucky to win half, then go to another WGAF bowl game. I hope i’m wrong.

61. boyd crowder's bible
    1:03 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

9 winnable games at best. we get 7 reg season wins is a good season. & i think newton will impress people this .

62. Charles
    2:53 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

I see 9 winnable games, 6 or 7 is more likely. For some reason I think this year is going to different and we get over the hump. I hope.

63. Mr. T's Mohawk
    3:44 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

I’ve followed UK football since the mid 70’s. This year’s record will be no better than 4-8.

64. 4th and 2
    7:06 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

Punt!!

65. arupprunt
    7:15 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

Come on people look at our roster, we have 230lb DE’s and 260lb DT’s WE WONT stop teams from running for 7 yards a pop. We just moved Winston freaking Guy to LB, this guy is scared to death to make a tackle how many times last year did Winston see a ball carrier coming his way and he dove at his feet? Then we are taking our 175 lb cb and moving him to safety? Im sick of hearing about team speed we dont have one player that actually runs a 4.4 never have never will. Please explain to me how 6’2 220lb RB’s on every team we ever play runs up the middle and outruns our entire secondary? he must run a 4.0 Ive been a season ticket holder since 1982 and this year will be one of our 5 worst teams we had in that period. Remember how bad we were in Shane Boyds senior year? we have no prover wr’s no RB’s and out QB cant throw it in the ocean, 4-5 wins tops this year!!

66. Pooter
    7:35 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

Florida is a more winnable game that USCjr this year… Miss St will be tough… no reason Ole Miss and TN arent winnable… UGA isnt likely but not outside the realm of possibility… LSU and USCjr are the only two games we likely wont be competitive in

67. jarshoe
    7:37 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

5 wins at best and the bowl streak comes to an end. there are simply too many questions on both sides of the ball.

68. KyKid
    8:37 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

Ah, I love my Cats, but alas we suck. In football anyway. While ‘suck’ is a relative term (I know, 5 straight bowls and all) I always love hearing folks say we can win 10 games. I am an optimist at heart. That being said, if we can just go to another bowl I will be thrilled.

69. cappy
    8:42 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

5 win season!!! RANDY SANDERS COULDN’T CALL A GAME WHEN HE WAS AT TN. and he still can’t. that’s why tee martin stayed. 5 win season, sanders fired, martin announced offensive coordinator before Christmas. you heard it here first.

70. UKfanNKY
    8:52 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

GO CATS BACK THE BLUE and ALL YOU HATERS CAN KISS MY A$$!! Let’s take 10-wins this year and ALL these HATERS STAY THE [email protected]#$ HOME CAUSE WE DON”T NEED YOU!!! Go cheer for the Cards! GO CATS!!!

71. UhWhat?
    9:13 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

10 wins? God, you morons NEVER learn.

72. cracka
    9:32 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

agree … would love to get mike leach designing the offense and would give us the ability to recruit some playmakers! i just hope newton can look promising against the cupcakes early in the year to at least give us some hope of some sec wins.

73. Get Sh*t Right
    9:41 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

The only way Kentucky wins 10 games this year, is on legacy mode in NCAA football. I am selling a Kentucky style NCAA Football 2011 on ebay. There is only 10 hours left!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120749083074#ht_105 5wt_1277

p.s. BTI Sucks!

74. nashvillecatsfan
    10:18 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

I think the bowl streak comes to an end this year. I don’t think anybody that predicts 6-8 has a very long memory or realizes that we lost all of the production from our offense, the skill players anyway.

75. og68
    10:53 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

Claud Balls,you are a breath of fresh air for this site.It is amazing how many experts that post nothing but negative garbage,and your common sense speaks volumes.

Please keep up your positive support!By the way,see if you can find the movie,which was televised on ENCORE network,or DISH network,by the name,”JOHNNY BE GOOD”.The movie is right on the money,and very relative to the situations at OSU,USC,and Auburn.Check it out!!

76. og68
    11:24 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

UCLA 11—UK7

77. kybigblue
    11:26 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

As usual UK wins 6 or maybe 7. Just enough wins to go to a lesser bowl. Don’t believe a team 6-6 should go bowling. All you need to do is win your non-conference games and a couple of SEC games and your are in a bowl. UK fans were excited when we started going bowling annually but now many are being to realize there are so many bowls it doesn’t take a great season to get to a bowl just anything but a losing record.

78. PukeOrange
    11:46 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

I’ll take 1-11 as long as we finally beat Tennessee

79. snoopcat
    11:47 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

If you think Jacksonville State is a cupcake you will be in for a rude surprise. I am not saying they will beat UK but they are a very good team. It will not be an easy win.

80. john
    11:57 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

ROTFLMAO- Honestly, I am as big a CAT fan as there is- season ticket holder for 20 years. This team has about as much chance of winning 10 as they do 7, which is none. I just hope they find 6 somewhere- because otherwise, I think this could be an ugly season for Joker.

The most important game of the year- Louisville? UK should win this game, but its no gimme. And should UK lose- it could set up a HORRIBLE season.

Sorry, I am a pessimist this year.

81. Joker Smoker
    12:30 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

I honestly think 2 maybe 3 games football always disappoints but her we just have to get through August and September and them BBM baby!!!!

82. JT
    12:46 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

UK Record since 2000 against these teams:

Florida 0-12
    LSU 1-4
    South Carolina 1-11
    Miss St. 5-6
    Ole Miss 1-4
    Vandy 8-3
    Georgia 2-9
    Tennessee 0-12

UK beats Vandy and gets Miss St. every other year. 4 non-conference wins and maybe an upset thrown in gets UK to 7 wins which is par for the Rich Brooks scheduling philosophy.

83. ReasonableUKFAN
    1:47 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone not remember Auburn having to make a desperation drive and field goal at the end of the game to beat us last year…the same Auburn/Cam Newton that every team found nearly unstoppable. After watching UK the past couple years almost every game is winnable. That doesn’t mean we win every “could win” game but it means going into the game the stands are packed, My Old Kentucky Home is blasting from our lungs, and we truly believe we have a shot every game(or at least those of us who bleed blue no matter if we’re 2-10 or 10-2). That’s what makes UK football so special. We’re in the toughest conference, we have almost the least “talent”, according to experts, and yet we as fans come to root for our CATS because there’s that little glimmering chance of an upset and a magical moment.

84. UKfanNKY
    2:04 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

#83 THANK YOU!!! GO CATS!!!!

85. Ta Mare
    2:07 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

Will, why is Mississippi State in your “Should Win” category? I read they have 14 or 16 starters returning (too lazy to look up the exact figure). They seemed to have their way with us last year. I’m not a MSU fan at all, but why no respect for that team?

86. Emmert still sucks
    3:14 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

#38. Bravo!! Well said! Go Cats!

87. GAWildcat
    3:32 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

5-7 at best. I hope I am wrong, but not likely.

88. tubbys decade of debacle
    4:17 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

Question:Why so much hope for Kentucky football? Cobb is gone, Newton is completely unproven and Joker had to be the least exciting hire for a program that needs all the excitement it can get? Then add to the fact that UL is starting to get the edge over Kentucky AGAIN in recruiting!! What the hell does UL have over UK? Nothing!
    This team may win 5 games or it may win 7 (I am going with 5). If Kentucky wants to add some sizzle to football and actually turn the corner, go out and hire a Mike Leach, or another rising star. No offense to Joker but listening to him talk reminds me of tubby. Absolutely no pizaz, no innovation, no understanding of the possibilities or how to achieve greatness. 5-7 folks…

89. sniffing glue
    7:09 pm July 19, 2011 Permalink

#79 is correct, jax st. is no cupcake, could lose that game in a heartbeat if not prepared. miss. st has a better coach and team should beat us more than likely. the sec east will be as weak as is was last year or worse with uk finishing no better than 5th. louisville was a better team at the end of the year than we were, b/c of a better coach, coin flip here. joker and his offense cant score enough points with randall cobb, how is going to do it without randall cobb. we added a decent at best defensive coach to staff and did not get rid on the coach thats terrible, in a conference that fields the best college football defenses year in and year out. i hate it, but we will be worse than last year, not to the players hard work and desires, b/c of the coaching staff uk has in place. joker gets another million plus, we the fans get 5 wins tops.