Do The Willow Dance. The Cats Won.

mark-krebs-willow-dance

After what could be best described as a rocky start, the Kentucky basketball team kicked things into gear in the second half and put away the Arkansas Little-Rock Trojans, 73-51.  The Cats, who committed thirteen turnovers in the first half, locked in on defense in the final twenty minutes and outscored the Trojans by twenty-five points.  UK was led by freshman Anthony Davis, who scored 22 points to go with 16 rebounds and 3 blocks.  Senior Darius Miller also added 15 points off the bench as he joined the 1,000 Point Club.

UPDATE:  Calipari said Michael Kidd-Gilchrist might have strained a chest muscle against Louisville last week and felt it tightening up, so that’s why he went to the locker room early.

Stick around for the postgame show in a bit…

Article written by Thomas Beisner

70 Comments for Do The Willow Dance. The Cats Won.

1. Rikigohan
    9:17 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Why did gillie go to the locker room early?

2. Natedogg
    9:20 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

What about MKG…everything okay with him?

3. gcat4496
    9:20 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

The refs sucked this game. We still pulled away easily in the 2nd half, but the whistle often blew against the Cats tonight. The worse one was where they called a called a foul on Teague’s shadow when the Ark player ran out of bounds trying to save the ball.

4. jr
    9:20 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

2nd

5. Where's MKG
    9:21 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I am freakin out! why did MKG leave early?????

6. jr
    9:21 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

MKG is sick after eating cardinal this past weekend….he will be fine

7. jwill25
    9:22 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I am not usually much for speculation but wonder if something happened with Gillies mom? She has been sick and he was teared up after halftime? Hope not

8. B Witte
    9:23 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

GEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

9. 4andDONE
    9:23 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

when you consider that Miller has absoloutly no plays run for him to try and score.. and has been the 3rd or lower option on offense all four of his years.. I think his scoring accomplishment is amazing…

10. PhilHickerson
    9:25 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

It’s a good thing Little rock was without their best twi players and had to travel from Denver. LOL!! That was brutal. Wonder which player on the team is shaving points?

11. B Witte
    9:25 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Glad to see Miller have a pretty good game shooting the ball, and congrats to him on getting in the 1000 point club.

12. B Witte
    9:26 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal was more entertaining than the game lol!!

13. LambwiththeSplash
    9:27 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

9) Speaking of Miller. Anyone remember when Chris Smith for the tards looked like he spun the wrong way on a wide open layup early in the game. It was the craziest play I have ever seen. Anyway, after watching the replay, Mille grabbed his arm and spun him artound. Somehow the refs missed it. LOL!!

14. Terry
    9:35 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

7 crying out loud are you serious thats why we get the rep we have omg! Get a life

15. UKBIgDaddy
    9:38 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

MKG hurt is chest from pounding so hard every time that he went off on the Tardinals last Saturday.

16. Geez
    9:38 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

The filthy birds just picked up a 4 star LB. I’m sure the Joke is pounding the pavement right now, trying to steal another recruit from Akron.

17. catsfan54
    9:39 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

CONGRATULATIONS to Darius Miller. What an accomplishment for a guy not even a top scoring option each year.

Now, can someone make a YouTube video of each of his 1000 points please? Thanks.

18. relieved
    9:42 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

thanks for clearing that up about MKG. Dave Baker has everyone believing MKG has the $hits

19. Bubba Earl
    9:43 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Whoever has the most tatoos on the opposing team will be high scorer. We are getting outhustled at guard play!

20. NineSec95
    9:43 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Teague is worring me. He looks like he going backwards. He better get it together quick. Quit shooting from the 3 point line and drive the ball, with out turning the ball over.

21. Wildcat Blood
    9:45 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Teague is not a championship PG sorry. We went on the big run when he left the game. I don’t think he should be starting.

22. Wildcat Blood
    9:46 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

We are getting BEAT by guard play. Point guard play.

23. JokerSux
    9:46 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

16) Saw that. Kid had offers from LSU, Bama, Miami, Clemson, Florida and FSU.

24. Reality
    9:47 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

The reality is Teague is not that good. He can’t go by anyone, can’t shoot or pass and can’t stay in front of his man. The recruiting gurus just missed on him.

25. InTheKnow
    9:49 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Teague does not respect Cal. It’s in one ear and out the other. The problem Cal has is there is no true backup.

26. Wildcat Blood
    9:51 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Man I wish Knight would have stayed one more year….

27. TheTruth
    9:51 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Just imagine if Little Rock wasn’t without their best 2 players and didn’t have to travel all the way from Denver.

28. Sack Boy
    9:51 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I wish I had a way to know how many of you that post negative comments on here, played any kind of sports in High School or College. My guess is NO. Because if you had, you would understand that teenagers struggle to focus at times. Find yourself another team to pull for. Sick of your bashing these kids.

29. MKGisDaMan
    9:52 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

We are not playing well right now. Thankfully, we played a bad team tonight and the refs called 87 fouls on the Tards.

30. MKGisDaMan
    9:53 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey Sack Boy, go F yourself.

31. strange brew
    9:53 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Hats off to Miller and his 1,000 point. I was not impressed with the game. Unlike the KSR fans crying about ticket prices, I was there. Bad game, still enjoed the time spent with my dad watching the game.

32. kfund
    9:54 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Check out not only what goes wrong in the proposal but how little ULCA is able to garner in attendance, compared to UK almost filling Freedom Hall.

33. Wildcat Blood
    9:54 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#28 Really? Where did you play and does that make you an effin expert? So I guess you say Teague is going to be okay? I am tired of saying it. Teague is not a top 10 PG in the country. THAT IS A FACT NO MATTER IF YOU PLAYED OR NOT. What is his FG%? Assist to TO ratio? Please give some supporting information if you are going to make that kind of post.

34. Bulldawg
    9:54 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

As Coach Cal would say, “Teague will be fine…”

35. Browdown
    9:55 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#27 is a multiple board troll.

36. Just saying
    9:55 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Teague was the #1 PG in America, but didn’t make the Indiana all-stars team. I’m not sure if the rating was based on potential but he’s is simply not that good.

37. Wildcat Blood
    9:56 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#28 Maybe they said that about you in high school and that’s why you are taking up for him. You know how it feels to be criticized, don’t you?? HAHAAHHA…..what was your FG%? Or did you get in at garbage time??

38. NineSec95
    10:00 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#28 or MK. I don’t mean no disrespect to Teague, but # 33 has a good point. Teague has never seen pressure like he’s getting ready to see on the road in SEC games. Sorry but he’s our weakness.

39. Thatsashame
    10:02 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

We won. Lighten up people. Are we not fans of the same team that won tonight? I think yes. There are places to improve. That is a good thing.

40. UKfaninIndiana
    10:03 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I saw Teague play in HS multiple times. He was a very good AAU player but was just a good player for his HS team. He is living off his bro’s hype. He reminds of a kid named Carlos Hurt that played for uofl in the early 2000’s. He was a burger boy that was way overhped.

41. quickyricky
    10:03 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Why does so many play into the hands of TARD fans on this sight? Guys you know 90% of the negativity on this sight is from ULol. Relax, they get their welfare checks tomorrow, they’ll be drunk or high after Little Johns cash the check.

42. What's he doing to Wojo?
    10:04 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Eloy looked good tonight!

43. bung
    10:05 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

miller knows when to pass and when to shoot…congrats 1k

44. Wildcat Blood
    10:05 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#28 Matt Jones just said the same thing about Teague. Maybe you’re on the wrong website.

45. lexslamman
    10:07 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

We won 73-51, so stop whining. Pardon me for not being worried about the behavior and play of a group of guys who, with the exception of Darius Miller, have only played 15 to 45 games of basketball on the collegiate level and are 18-20 years old.

46. Wildcat Blood
    10:08 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Miller is the man and I love when he is in the game. He is severely unrated. Just because all of these big names from out of state come in, people overlook him.

47. strange brew
    10:09 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Teague will be a decent player. He has shown signs of greatness. He’s simply not Wall or Knight. Teague will be back next year. He’s not yet NBA material.

As for Terrence Jones, http://louisvillestrangebrew.com/2011/12/18/terrence-jones-all-american-or-crybaby/

48. Wildcat Blood
    10:09 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

*Underrated sorry

49. NineSec95
    10:12 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I do want to say Congrats to Miller. Ky did win that’s the most important stat. Go Big Blue.

50. kycatman
    10:13 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Man the UK IMG Network needs a HD Camera, their picture quality sucks bigtime!! So, why are there so many on here Teague bashing? Can’t a kid have a bad game or two without so many going ballistic on him? By late Feburary, lets see where he’s at and then judge. He will never be a John Wall or Brandon Knight but he can be a very good PG with some more polishing/coaching so, lets give him a chance OK.

51. UKfaninIndiana
    10:14 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Good thing we play JV teams the entire month of January.

52. Wildcat Blood
    10:15 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#47 I read the article. It was right on and the best evaluation I have read on Jones. Kudos my friend. As a die hard UK fan I believe we have the right to criticize when the players do not play with heart. I feel like sometimes I care more about them winning than some of the players.

53. Sack Boy
    10:18 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

No where in my post do I single out Teague. If you think this one player is the problem, look at the box scores. This is a team problem.

54. strange brew
    10:22 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Thanks #52. I want Jones to play the way he can. The man is a beast. Im seeing a sissy play.

55. Wildcat Blood
    10:22 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#50 Point proven….. he will never be Wall or Knight. His shot can not be corrected by Feb and it is unlikely that his mindset can be changed by then. He can not pass or shoot, two main characteristics of a good PG. Anyone can throw a lob to Davis BTW.

56. Wildcat Blood
    10:24 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#54 Amen brother….

57. strange brew
    10:28 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Teague shot may not be improved by Feb. He can however, imrpove passing, driving to the hoop, not making dumb turnovers and being a team player. Miller is good because he can score 5 or 15 and be a factor. Teague needs to learn that. Listen, we worried last year about UK. Season ended pretty good, didn’t it?

UK has beaten UNC, Kansas and UofL, all ranked teams. Let’s give them some credit.

58. Adam
    10:33 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Guys are freaking out that we haven’t hit our peak yet. What limited memories you all have. Last years team did not peak til March and road it to the Final Four

59. Adam
    10:35 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

haha. Or maybe road to the Final Four should be rode to the Final Four. Damn predictive text. Sorry

60. Wildcat Blood
    10:36 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

We have been spoiled with PG play. Maybe that is why I am being so harsh. Honestly I do not see us winning a championship without Teague doing a 180 for sure. He has not shown me anything this year. What about losing the ball at the end tonight? UALR guards outplayed him for God’s sake. UALR!!!

61. Ranger
    10:38 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

If Teague cant get straighten out after SEC play. What’s the plan?

62. BigPerm
    10:51 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

How long would it take Teague to hit 10 3’s if he were in the gym by himself?

63. kycatman
    10:54 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

All I’m saying is that Teague needs to understand his role on this team and accept it. Then and only then will things start to click for the team on offence. He may never be able to shoot the Ball with the way we would like for him to but, he can dribble, pass, distribute the ball to other players much the same way Anthony Epps did. He has some very good PG skills and I think we will see them before the seasons over. At least I sure hope so!!! Go Cats!!!

64. kycatman
    10:56 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Opps, I meant offense.

65. NineSec95
    11:01 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Just got done listening to the Matt Jones show and even he was saying he didn’t know what was wrong with Teague. Beckham better be getting some play time. I think when Lamb moves to that spot it throws his shooting off.

66. Ranger
    11:02 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I am sure Teague is a nice dude. I really don’t like to talk bad about 18 years old that I dont know BUT I think when we blow a game in the big dance he will be the catalyst.

67. mike
    11:41 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Oh no the sky is falling, Cats only wins by 22. Go Cats

68. chief_cat
    12:28 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I seem to remember the same kind of talk about point guard play just before conference play last year. Knight is a streaky shooter and can’t dish the ball like Wall He commits way too many turnovers. He isn’t really a point guard and Cal needs to move Lamb over or maybe give Poole or Polson a try. As I recall Brandon Knight did pretty well the second half of the season. And I even recall Wall being somewhat erratic at times during pre-conference games.

I agree that Teague isn’t Wall or Knight. He is a talented player though and will develop at his own pace. I have seen him make mistakes and been frustrated that he isn’t further along, but I have also seen him blow by opponents and take it to the basket. His free throw shooting, which was terrible, is improving greatly – very important as we head into SEC play. His defense is also improving – something I am much more interested in than his ability to hit threes consistently.

Teague may not be a one and doner, but is that necessarily a bad thing? He’s still a lot better than the players that BCG was bringing to UK! Have we already become so spoiled that we have forgotten that?

I have faith that Cal will work with him to improve his assist to turnover ratio and keep tinkering with the offense to find the best way to use his talents. Lighten up a little and enjoy the fact that we are #2 heading into conference play.

69. Lovelease