Dinosaurs’ Thursday News and Views

On April 26, 1991, the world fell in love with a new ABC television show about a family of anthropomorphic dinosaurs set in 60,000,003 BC in Pangaea. The show came from the mind of Jim Henson, who passed away a year before its creation. According to a pre-Thamel New York Times article, Henson wanted it to be “a sitcom with a pretty standard structure, with the biggest differences being that it’s a family of dinosaurs and their society has a strange toxic life style.” “People thought it was a crazy idea,” Alex Rockwell, vice president of the Henson organization, told the newspaper.

But that crazy idea — and I’m showing my age here — was one of my favorite TV shows of the 1990s. I can distinctly remember watching Earl take off his hardhat to greet the Sinclair family after a long day at work. Yeah, I’m namedropping Dinosaurs characters right now: Fran, the mother; Robbie with the mohawk; Charlene, the daughter; the grandmother with the glasses and pearl necklace; and the baby, Junior Sinclair. “Not the Mama!!!”

I could write all night about Dinosaurs and the impact it had on the world, but I just found full episodes online so I’m going to wrap this up and fire up the popcorn maker. This is your news and views, brought to you by the Sinclair family.

For the first time in a long time, we’ll lead off with news of the pigskin variety. The NFL Draft gets underway Thursday night in that new primetime television format. The first round will be aired on ESPN at 8:00 PM, then the second and third rounds will air Friday night before the event goes all day on Saturday. Andrew Luck should go first to the Colts, followed by RG3 to the Skins, and then on to all those offensive linemen no one recognizes, Trent Richardson, and Justin Blackmon.

Former Kentucky linebacker Danny Trevathan is projected to go in the sixth round by SI.com and a few other mock drafts. Winston Guy is projected to go somewhere not far behind him.

Good luck to both guys and we look forward to watching you on Sundays. Don’t go to the Saints.

If you were in Lexington on Wednesday hoping to catch a glimpse of Mislav Brzoja, you’ll have to wait until Thursday to see the International Man of Indiana Basketball Mystery. Brzoja will take his official visit to Kentucky on Thursday, according to his high school coach. The coach told Rivals.com that Brzoja will make a decision in 7-10 days.

The news on Anthony Bennett is there is no news on Anthony Bennett. The wait continues…

According to Adam Zagoria’s hair, over ten schools have reached out to Mark Lyons but the former Xavier star is focused on Kansas, Kentucky, and Arizona. He’ll visit all three soon, although no dates have been set just yet. It seems the UK fanbase is still 50/50 on Cal’s interest in Lyons due to concerns with his character. That thought is backed up by chatter out of Cincinnati that Lyons has attitude issues and can be cancerous in the locker room. It’s really a shame because the kid can ball and he’d make a great addition to UK’s backcourt next season.

After watching YouTube clips of Brzoja and Lyons in the office on Wednesday, I went back and watched some of Ryan Harrow’s old highlight videos as a refresher course of what’s to come next season. We talk about how good Ryan Harrow was in practice last year and how good he’ll be as the starter next year, but I think I forgot how nasty some of his old videos are. He was embarrassing defenders with crossovers, just like that John Wall guy in his high school videos a couple years ago. Do yourself a favor and type “Ryan Harrow” in YouTube next time you’re bored on the Internet and see how long you can go without smiling.

I wonder if Bob Knight saw four Kentucky basketball players on the SEC Honor Roll? He seems to think people don’t go to class around here. Congrats to Beckham, Jones, Miller, and Polson for making the list.

Get excited about Nerlens Noel’s interview with KSTV, if you didn’t get to see it on the show Wednesday night. Nerlens was a great interview and had a lot of good things to say, while wearing headphones. He talked about his weekend in Lexington, his relationship with the other guys, why he picked Kentucky, begging Anthony Bennett to join the movement, and whole lot more. I’ll post the video tomorrow. Be here.

Like his fellow champions, Anthony Davis is making his way around the state on an autograph tour/victory lap. Davis made his first public signing in Lexington at Fayette Mall on Tuesday night and he surprised those in attendance by announcing that he is donating a portion of the autograph revenue to charity. Here is a photo of Davis presenting one of those giant checks to The Kentucky Children’s Hospital:

Wildcat Wearhouse matched Anthony’s donation for a total of $2,500 to the KCH. Say what you will about the players charging fans for autographs, but it’s great to see the guys giving back to the community before they even leave to make real money. I hope the giving continues.

This came from a “Yahoo! Sports Expert”:

If only he had on three goggles, he would’ve caught that.

Our good friend Stone Cold Willow is throwing out the first pitch for the Lexington Legends on Thursday night. I can honestly say that I haven’t been this excited about a sporting event in the history of history and I can’t wait to drive to Lexington to soak in the biggest night Whitaker Bank Ballpark will ever see. The self-proclaimed NCAA Heavyweight Champ told me he owns a baseball and he has been practicing over the past few weeks in his backyard. Young. Koufax. Spahn. Seaver. Maddux. Willow.

If the Kentucky Rattlesnake doesn’t bring you out to the Lexington Legends game Thursday night, Terrence Jones will be throwing the second pitch. Apparently, they double-booked the first pitch honors so Jones and Willow will share the stage. What a duo. I’m sure Terrence is thrilled.

Keep sending those photos in to [email protected]. High-five!

That’ll do it for now.

Corey Nichols will be here at 9:00 am with one of the five best posts he’ll do all week!

Article written by Drew Franklin

50 Comments for Dinosaurs’ Thursday News and Views

1. Drew Franklin
    12:29 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

It’s in there now. Gracias mi amigo.

2. VinDatUk
    12:34 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Good Dinosaur write-up. There are only 7 rounds of the draft FYI…

3. Buckets
    12:35 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Since when is there an eighth round in the NFL draft?

4. Somervillain
    12:40 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know how I missed Ryan Harrow’s highlights before, but I must’ve since I think I’ll remember them now. Wow. John Wall has the best mixtape I’ve seen, and Harrow doesn’t have his size, but has something close to his moves. I watched him split defenders on one move 7-8 times before I just gave up trying to understand what happened. It’s like the ball just disappeared for a blip. Cool.
    And I never watched Dinosaurs. Including now.

5. DINOSAURS!
    12:57 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

DINOSAURS!!!! wow. i forgot

6. balki bartokomous
    1:00 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I miss sitcoms like the old tgif when I was growing up. Full House, Family Matters, Growing Pains, Just the 10 of Us, & Perfect Strangers. Is it too much to ask to get quality programming like this again? Of course not, don’t be ridiculous!!!

7. Dickie Z
    1:03 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Drew, I see you made a typo…I fixed it for you –

Corey Nichols will be here at 9:00 am with one of the worst posts ever on KSR!

8. Ryan
    1:22 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

When did the draft get an 8th round? Oh, never? Cool.

9. Ryan
    1:24 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Also, who the heck is Stone Cold Willow and why should I care about him?

10. der[s
    1:31 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Been looking for this show for ages! Cheers!

11. mdd34
    1:41 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Dinosaurs was over 20 years ago. Unbelievable.

12. Drew Franklin
    1:52 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

3, 4, 9 — That’s why we’re a good team. I write something dumb and you correct me so I can fix it for the late arrivers. Nice work, team.

13. BPsycho
    2:10 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#8 Lmao

#10 Who is Stone Cold Willow? Well Ryan, let me introduce your *** to the revolution, ya know?

14. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    3:36 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

We were lucky to be blessed with a great player from Portland two years in a row. First Clarence Jones, now Lyle Wiltjer.

15. REAL BLY
    6:44 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I think that is my Dentist in the lab coat standing next to AD…..??

16. Matt Bell
    7:11 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Dont forget the mispelling of Pothyress in that article too…moron…I wrote that goofball an email letting him know things like checking sources, athlete names, and even spell check were ALL good ideas prior to publishing a nationally distributed article…I mean Lyle Wilter isn’t even close…

17. Little Boy in front
    7:23 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Man, that’s a big check!

18. Big Daddy
    7:42 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Our son’s baseball team is going out on the field with the Legends tonight. Now I’m really excited to be going.

19. G
    7:54 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Don’t think Cal is going to wait in Bennett much longer. He wants to wrap up the 2012 class and move on to 2013. Now Bennett has added Memphis to his list.

20. bham
    7:59 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

20 posts and not 1 mention of the blonde hottie on the right?? slackers

21. G
    8:04 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Oriakhi committing to Mizzou on his visit before he visited UK stunned Cal. Oriakhi’s friendship with Phil Pressey was too much for Cal to overcome.

22. Gman
    8:13 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Cal giving schollies to walk-ons Beckham and Poulson last season screwed him up getting Jarnell Stokes. If UK has Stokes, BBN wouldn’t be hanging on Bennett’s every whim. That move was stupid, stupid, stupid!

23. Rixter
    8:15 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

“After our end of the season meeting with Mark, it became apparent that a change for both parties was the right thing moving forward,” (Xavier coach Chris) Mack said. “During our meeting expectations were outlined for his fifth and final season, areas in which I believe needed improvement.”

“Mark did not recognize these expectations as being important and ultimately it was decided that a change of scenery would be in his best interest. I wish Mark well.”

Yeah, we need this guy on our team.

24. Gman
    8:16 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Maybe if Cal wasn’t touring the state with the trophy, he could have got Oriakhi’s first visit and may have got him.

25. Hicks
    8:19 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#23 Bennett is better than Stokes, I promise

26. Rixter
    8:19 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Right. Screw BBN. To hell with # 8. Let’s focus solely on #’s 9, 10, and 11.

27. Rixter
    8:20 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I hear Bennett has stretching down to an art form…

28. Hicks
    8:20 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#25 lol Bennett will be better than Oriahki, I promise

29. DB11
    8:21 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Loved that show as a child. Seriously tho, somebody at KSR needs to realize just how mentally unstable Stone Cold Willow is.

30. G
    8:22 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Bennett is going to Florida or UNLV. Cal is not going to wait on him much longer.

31. Rixter
    8:25 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#31, it sounds like you have the inside poop.

32. G
    8:30 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

If Cal waits for Bennett’s decision, he will lose out on other players who will be making their decisions soon. Plus, Bennett just added Memphis to his list because they have a connection with his HS coach.

33. G
    8:37 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Trust me. Cal wasn’t happy Bennett added Memphis to his list after dropping Washington and being down to Florida, UK, UNLV, and Florida. That tells him Bennett is not sure where he wants to go. Cal wants to finish the 2012 recruiting class and not wait for Bennett’s decision after the other players he is in with have made their decisions.

34. G
    8:38 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

^I mean Oregon, not Florida twice.

35. GrumpyOldDude
    8:40 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I found a DVD set of Dinosaurs last year in the bargain bin and snatched it up……NOT DA MAMA!!

36. Hicks
    8:51 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#34, two years ago I was worried we would miss out on C.J. Leslie while we waited around to see what Terrence Jones would do. It will work out in the end.

37. hmm
    8:51 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

will them being at kentucky be a footnote for the school or part of its history?

38. Axe Cop
    8:52 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Liked that show as a child, but now you have to realize what a crap fest it really was.

39. G
    8:52 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Jones told Cal he was coming to UK before he made his announcement before switching to UW at the press conference.

40. Hoss_Cat
    9:18 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Why does this Willow fellor get to throw out the first pitch? How do they even know who he is?

41. gr8ness
    9:19 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Is this LYLE Wilter kid ranked? I remember hearing his name somewhere. What’s really cool is I can only imagine the how good the hip hop songs bout ky will be with the similarities of LYLE Wilter and Kyle wiltjer.

42. BlueWhipped
    9:35 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget the episode where Robbie took steroids and went into a rage. Also the series finale where the ice age killed everyone. Heavy, heavy dinosaur stuff.

43. bluefan
    10:19 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Actually Bennett tweeted at about 10 last night that he has NOT added Memphis to his list and that his list remains exactly the same.

44. Nathan Smith
    11:14 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Wow, your so cool Drew. How can we all be like you?

45. The man
    12:35 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

Why would they even schedule willow in the first place to through out the first pitch. And why do people even pay attention to him. I honestly feel bad for the kid because all this site does is basically make fun of him to his face and he can’t see past it. Wow I hope you all feel good about your alls self ksr.

46. I hate him
    12:42 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

I hate Stone Cold Willow. Stop encouraging him KSR, he is bad news.

47. UK Lawyer
    2:50 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

Is he mentally challenged? Ive never gotten a straight answer. Secondly, Why is he throwing out the first pitch?

48. steve
    3:42 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

bob knight knows about the wildcat’s academic achievements. that’s why we have not heard from the loud mouthed bast**d.

49. Again, don't read 'em but i'll post'em
    9:18 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

The dude who DOESN’T KNOW WHAT A WATERBED IS, “what? that doesn’t exist. . . . what is Big Sur?”

Says he is showing his age by him remembering ‘Dinosaurs.’ BUT CAN’T FOR THE LIFE OF HIM FATHOM A WATERBED???

And while I am trashing you, what is with the pics (always wondered) at the top of the blog? You look like a totally different person in each one. And yes, you have a boyish puffy face.