It’s almost time for conference play to begin…you know what that means: mid-season awards. Dickie V, never one to shy away from doling out accolades, handed out virtual hardware to two of his favorites, Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist:
PLAYER OF THE YEAR:
1. Thomas Robinson, Kansas Jayhawks
2. Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut Huskies
3. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State Buckeyes
4. Marcus Denmon, Missouri Tigers
5. Anthony Davis, Kentucky Wildcats
His shot-blocking ability makes him the total package for John Calipari’s Wildcats. He can score inside, rebound and changes games in the lane with his defensive prowess. Just look at what he did on Tuesday in a win over Arkansas-Little Rock: 22 points, 16 rebounds, three blocks. He has double-doubles in four straight games.
6. Doug McDermott, Creighton Blue Jays
DIAPER DANDY OF THE YEAR
1. Davis, Kentucky Wildcats
His length makes him a real factor as a game-changer blocking shots. He already has eight double-doubles this season. Davis has 67 blocked shots in just 15 games; when you block more than four per game, plus you adjust opponents’ shots, you are a force in the middle.
2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky Wildcats
Simply look at the line against Louisville in the rivalry game: 24 points, 19 rebounds. I love watching this young man play basketball. I saw him in the City of Palms tournament down in Florida last year and loved his game. Calipari loves him too.
3. Cody Zeller, Indiana Hoosiers
4. Austin Rivers, Duke Blue Devils
5. Tony Wroten, Washington Huskies
6. Bradley Beal, Florida Gators
COACH OF THE YEAR
1. Frank Haith, Missouri Tigers
2. Tom Crean, Indiana Hoosiers
3. John Thompson III, Georgetown Hoyas
4. Frank Martin, Kansas State Wildcats
5. Dave Rice, UNLV Runnin’ Rebels
6. Tony Bennett, Virginia Cavaliers
Agree? Disagree? Let’s hear it, baybeee.