Details emerge on the shooting death of Desmond Allison

The shooting death of former UK baskteball player Desmond Allison in Columbus, Ohio earlier this week was already acknowledged as a terrible tragedy.  Now, with new details emerging regarding the circumstances of the shooting, it’s an exceptionally stupid and senseless tragedy.  According the Columbus Dispatch, Allison was shot after an argument between two women started over a hat he was wearing.

Two women arguing over a baseball cap might have led to the shooting death of a former University of Kentucky basketball player on Monday afternoon.

Desmond “Dez” Allison, 31, was outside with friends, talking on his cellphone at the Nelson Park Apartments on the Near East Side, when an ex-girlfriend took a cap off his head, said Malcolm Goff, 36, who also was shot in the same incident.

Allison barely noticed and kept talking, his friend Goff said.

But his current girlfriend had given him the hat, said Tina Underwood, 31, a witness and longtime friend of Allison’s. The current girlfriend saw the ex-girlfriend with the hat and the two women began arguing, Goff and Underwood said.

A crowd formed at the apartment complex as the women yelled at each other, but neither woman was violent, the witnesses said.

Allison mostly stayed out of the argument but did exchange words with one of the women after she yelled at him, Underwood said. Then he walked with Goff and another man to a bench about 30 yards down Maryland Avenue, close to Merryhill Drive, said Goff and Underwood. Allison remained on the phone.

Not long afterward, three men walked up, Goff said. They did not seem aggressive until one of the men accused Allison of messing with his cousin – one of the women, Goff said. That man punched Allison. Another man took out a gun and started shooting.

Senseless is pretty much the only word.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

39 Comments for Details emerge on the shooting death of Desmond Allison

1. Tom Handy
    10:43 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Bitches always be getting shit started….

2. mocha
    10:46 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

For the folks above who have commented, you are great representatives of idiotic America.
    The only thing dumber than this senseless shooting are your hateful and idiotic comments.
    Have some respect.

3. CATastrophe
    10:46 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

So sad that some ignorant person would do duh a shameful act and probably never get caught bc the only connection the police an make is to a stupid cap. Dez probably had never seen the shooter in his life.

4. Hmmm...
    10:52 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Apparently it’s a common problem

5. TheVig
    10:56 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Racial hate (1 & 2) comes from fear.
    No respect for human life comes from fear (need to carry a gun to feel safe).

There’s no difference. Just a bunch of people pointing fingers saying one’s better than the other.

Best bet is to not be hanging out with people who live in fear (those who carrying guns or hate based on color of skin).

6. Real Cats Fan
    10:56 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

I hate to say it, but it’s the “gangzta” culture that is becoming so prevalent with a lot of our young people. And no, it is not exclusive to young black males, plenty of white kids and even girls are embracing it. You see a lot of gun violence glorified as the end solution to problems with this mindset. Never mind arguing something out, or at the very worst, just getting in an “old school” fight. When I was in HS (25 years ago), you get into an argument or a fight, and at worst you might get your ass kicked – at worst a broken nose, tooth knocked out, black eye, etc. Now the MoFo just goes and gets a gun and shoots you. IMO, that is pure cowardice.

Oh yeah, and “CATastrophe”, thanks for making the collective UK fan base look like a bunch of racist, inbred idiots with your post. (#2)

7. hoss_Cat
    10:57 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

they should fry that M___R F____R!

8. cattttttttttttttttt
    11:02 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

I think its awkward how he was on the phone the whole time

9. Spurious
    11:05 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

The problem with racism is that the people who espouse such nonsense are terribly stupid. And, the problem with stupidity is that there is simply no cure. The stupid NEVER know they are stupid. Making comments to #2 is a waste of time. That is a person who will never understand the response.

10. Chuck Norris
    11:10 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

9) You’re right, white middle class kids would never kill another person over a hat. They always prefer to kill their parents or go into a school and shoot a bunch of their classmates for no apparent reason. Thanks for adding another idiotic and extremely insensitive comment…

11. mocha
    11:13 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

for the record (now that I’m comment #2) the previous records were removed, thankfully.

12. JEREMY
    11:13 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Godbless Desmond and his family. He will always be a Wildcat and part of the BBN in my book.

13. slappy
    11:20 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Jeez, what a ridiculous situation. People are so freaking stupid. RIP Dez.

14. RealCool
    11:20 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Here’s an awesome idea: Let’s take the story of former UK player getting murdered and turn it into an opportunity to offer half-assed opinions on what’s wrong with society or how such a common incident might occur. Rad.

15. kittylitter
    11:28 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

What kind of person is the ex-girlfriend to go call her “friends” to come and get involved probably fully knowing that they are violent criminal types? She took the situation from an argument to a murder. She is just as responsible in my opinion as the guys who pulled the trigger.

16. Guck Foodman
    11:38 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

I wish they could put a safety on all guns that required solving an algebra problem.

17. Tyler Durden
    11:44 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Chris Rock on Gun (and bullet) Control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

18. JEREMY
    11:47 am July 27, 2011 Permalink

Couldn’t have said it better myself #14… RIP Desmond.

19. bmt22033
    12:03 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

“He was a ladies’ man,” Underwood said.

Underwood said that Allison was the father of five children.

———-

A ladies’ man, indeed. 🙂

20. Arupprunt
    12:15 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

no disrespect to Allison, but seriously shooting someone over a freaking HAT? Only in the hood!! Why do people continue to hang out in these shithole places? I can assure you the last place im gonna be chillin on my phone is some dumpy ass housing project in columbus oh. These athletes always talk about getting out of the hood and making it, but yet they always hang out in the ONLY places things like this happen. Like the old saying goes “you can take the person out of the hood but you cant take the hood out of the person”

21. @lil_donnie_t
    12:16 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

All I’m sayin’ is this, if someone kills me because of a hat, it better be a damn oversized, bejewelled and diamond laden Cowboy Hat that says Bad Mother FU#%ER on it, or I’m gonna be pissed.

In all seriousness, this is very sad and mind boggling to hear. Seems there is some disconnect these days between the fact that SHOOTING SOMEONE CAN KILL THEM!

RIP Desmond

22. Moses
    12:33 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

What the F? Why is it always gotta be about FN race. If it was a white kid we wouldn’t be acting Like everything is racial. Jesus just shut up

23. kyrobman
    12:34 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

It is tragic when you hear of people killing people over stupid stuff like this. All we can do now is pray for Justice and the family. RIP Desmond Allison #33

24. Tom Handy
    12:44 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

#5 TheVig Your idea that “carrying a gun” is for “people who live in fear” and “need to feel safe” is just ignorant. And further more your opinion that “Best bet is to not be hanging out with people who live in fear (those who carrying guns)” is asinine as well.

25. kyrobman
    12:48 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

24) I mean 32, dang I should proof read before I hit enter.

26. fresh prince of adair
    1:03 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

it does sound like a ridiculous situation but we’ll never know the exact set of events…how often does the literal truth prevail from something like this?

#9 i know how deflating stupidity can be but i believe that you can cure it….you might not be able to eradicate it from the world entirely but stupid people can smarten up with learning, perspective and experience. i think thats logical and even if it’s not i’d rather live life believing that that can happen rather than feeling like it’s hopeless

27. Mborotncatfan
    1:18 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

The stupidity of the catalyst of this event only magnifies the tragedy of the whole situation. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

28. shawn
    1:41 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

#5 TheVig, is a complete moron. Carrying a gun has nothing to do with living in fear. I carry a gun and I’m not afraid of anyone, but I carry to protect myself and family from harm. If Desmond would have been carrying one, he might of had a chance in that situation, at least he could have. And your best bet is to not be hanging out with people who live in fear is comical. I have a concelled carry permit, do you know I’m carrying a gun??? No, you don’t. Smart people have guns and don’t think they are immune to such tragedies. This could of happened to anyone of us, at any time, any place. I carry a gun for such occasions. Better to have the gun and not need it than to need it and not have it.

29. Bob
    2:04 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

Just a bunch of goofy black boys killing each other over something stupid. If you’ve ever wondered why black boys and black girls act the way they do, head on over to a website called Chimpout. You’ll have a lot more fun over at that website than you will at this black boy worship site. Anyone who disagrees is a fairy or a bull lesbian.

30. Bob
    2:07 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

Another thing, that picture of Drew at the top of the page makes him look like a screaming fairy.

31. Jerry Tipton
    2:59 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

#24 & #28 – Live in denial all you want. There’s a reason your carrying a gun.

32. Jerry Tipton
    3:04 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

…It’s called fear.

Fear of harm, fear of death, fear of loss, fear of people taking things from you, fear of losing control.

Call it smart if you want. The underlying root of your decision is fear.

33. JohnnyRed
    3:06 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

As a Cards fan, deepest sympathies for Big Blue Nation. It always hurts when a former or current athlete ends up in a situation like this.

In light of this incident, I hope the bloggers on KSR now stop the UofL “thug” comments and the Preston Knowles/Hairbrush digs. No school is immune.

34. Jerry Tipton
    3:10 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

#29 – Bob – When you judge another you don’t define them. You only define yourself as someone who needs to judge.

35. Maggard's Left Nut
    4:29 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

I will always remember Allison for beating out Tayshaun Prince for the starting 2 guard spot back in 1999.

36. Welp...
    4:41 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

Was it a UK hat?

37. Anti-gun People
    6:14 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

It’s really hilarious to see gun control maniacs come out of the woodwork whenever they come across a shooting story. How about we outlaw clubs, knives, chemicals, and anything else that can kill? Murders will happen with or without guns. The difference is that guns put weak people on the same level as those who are gifted with/work toward physical strength and fitness. An 80 year old woman without a gun is no match for a young, fit man without one. Put a gun in the woman’s hands and she is on even footing with the man, even if he has a gun.

Guns have existed for hundreds of years – they are not going to magically go away with the stroke of a pen and a politician’s smile. They will only become harder to obtain for law abiding people, whilst criminals and gangs relish a disarmed populace.

Once the knowledge of technology and how to make it exist, it is impossible in this day and age to eradicate it unless the means of production are nearly unobtainable by private individuals (such as nuclear weapons). Even then it is impossible (also such as w/nuclear weapons). It is not realistic to hate guns, the great equalizer of weaponry in this day and age, and many of you should think your positions through before spouting idealistic rhetoric that simply isn’t logical.

38. Anti-gun People
    6:26 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

32: Also, fear dictates your life as much as anyone else. You’re telling me that you would feel safe enough to go anywhere unarmed? If your response is yes, you are a fool. There are people in this world that would slit you ear to ear if you were on “their turf” (and I’m not being racist here, this is all colors – you should go to some shady places in West Virginia and Kentucky and see the type of people you find) and not care one bit about it. If you want to interpret that as fear, fine. More often than not, that confidence in the human condition comes from someone that has lived in a bubble all their lives and cannot and will not see the perspective of someone else who has experienced dangers that should invoke fear – a necessary component to survival. Negative emotions and feelings (such as pain, which tells us when something is wrong with our body) can have positive implications so long as it is not allowed to consume us. You act as if every gun owned lives in fear – quite the opposite. I feel quite safe having a gun in my home.

If you said no to my hypothetical question, then you are ruled by fear just as much as any other man and you are a hypocrit. I suppose it is illogical for me to have a gun in my house, even though I have had my house broken into WHILE I WAS IN IT by someone that I had never seen before in my life (I suppose I should have just talked him into lying down with his hands behind his head until the police arrived). Not to mention the occasional thief that steals from my property, as well as many other people that I know. Are you such a pacifist that you would sit back and let all of that happen without defending you or your property? Ah, but I’ve heard the response before – “If someone needs it bad enough to steal, then they can have it!”. Ah, communal ideology and logic is quite fascinating.

You must live in a very different world than the rest of us…

39. Anti-gun People
    6:27 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

You must live in a very different world than the rest of us…