Deron Feldhaus’ Friday News and Views

He was one of “The Unforgettables, he’s from Mason County High School, and today he turns a cool 43 years old. He’s Deron Feldhaus and this week’s Friday edition of the News and Views are all for him. Feldhaus spent five seasons at Kentucky from 1988-1992, playing in a total of 124 games after redshirting in his first year. He scored a total of 1,232 points for the Wildcats and was part of that memorable team that made it to the 1992 Regional final of the NCAA Tournament. Today, the Maysville product is living back in his hometown and running the Kenton Station golf course that he is part owner of with his father and step-mother. The golf course is his life these days but he’ll always be an unforgettable Kentucky basketball legend.

News? Views? Let’s get it then.

— Let’s lead off with some potential big news for Kentucky fans on the basketball recruiting front. Khem Birch, a 6-foot-9 freshman power forward, could be transferring out of Pittsburgh. Birch is reportedly unhappy with his playing time in Jamie Dixon’s system and he wants out. His departure is all rumor at this point but those in the Pittsburgh media believe it’s bound to happen and Kentucky could be a possible destination. You may remember Birch as the big man who put on a show in the McDonald’s All-American game last year. He scored 15 points with 10 rebounds, and blocked six shots for the West team that included Anthony Davis and Kyle Wiltjer. ESPN Recruiting ranked Birch as the No. 1 center in that class (ahead of Andre Drummond) and two of the three major recruiting services ranked him as a top ten overall player for 2011.

Before you get your hopes up, remember that Birch is still on Pitt’s roster for now and he’ll get a flood of offers if and when he leaves the team. Plus a lot of basketball recruiting Twitter accounts are refuting the rumors that he is heading to Kentucky. One Pitt beat writer went as far to say that his source told him John Calipari had to be told who Khem Birch was on Thursday night. I won’t pretend to be in the know on this one but I don’t believe for one second that Calipari doesn’t know who Khem Birch is.

We’ll keep following this one on Friday (Pitt has a closed practice in the afternoon) and keep you updated as we hear more. Like I said, don’t get your hopes up just yet. It would be a HUGE get for next year’s Cats, though.

— Speaking of huge gets for Kentucky next season, UCLA is strong in the hunt for Shabazz Muhammad. In an exclusive interview with Five Star basketball, Muhammad talked about the possibility of turning the Bruins around in 2012-2013. “I’ve been watching them this year, they’re really still struggling and I hope they can pull together,” he said. “I think with me, Kyle and Jordan, if I was to go there it would be a great combination, and Kyle’s a really good player. So is Jordan.” The Kyle he is referring to is Kyle Anderson, the No. 2 player in America on Rivals.com’s 2012 board. Anderson committed to UCLA in September and is very close friends with Shabazz. The two have been talking about playing together in college for a long time now. If Shabazz ends up at UCLA, Anderson will be a very big part of the decision. Their friendship, UCLA’s location on the West coast and Adidas brand makes Shabazz the toughest challenge for Calipari since he has been at Kentucky. I still believe.

— One kid Coach Cal has already locked up for next season is drawing attention from Naismith voters. Alex Poythress was one of six seniors named to the Naismith High School Player of the Year watch listThe Naismith Awards national voting academy, made up of basketball writers around the country, made the selections and announced the finalists on Thursday. The winner will be announced on March 22. Poythress is up against Shabazz, Kyle Anderson, Brandon Ashley, Marcus Smart, and Isaiah Austin. Austin Rivers won the award last season.

— Hey, we know that guy!

He’s free!

— A piece of disappointing news out of Sacramento regarding the health of our boy Chuck Hayes. The Kings released a statement about Chuck’s new medical complication:

“A recent stress echo test performed on Kings’ center/forward Chuck Hayes revealed an abnormality which will require further testing this evening and tomorrow. An update will be provided as more information becomes available.”

That’s all we know for now, unfortunately. This “abnormality” better not affect the Cousins/Hayes duo in Sac-Town this season. I’m pumped.

— Did you watch the Falcons-Jaguars game on Thursday Night Football? I didn’t either but I did happen to land on the NFL Network just as Corey Peters crossed the end zone for Atlanta. The former Kentucky defensive tackle scooped up a fumble and took it to the house for his first career touchdown. Peters was named Man of the Year for the Falcons a few weeks ago, which puts him in contention for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award given to the NFL’s best guy on and off the field. Corey has always been a class act and now he’s turning into one of the NFC’s top defensive lineman. Be proud of him, Big Blue Nation.

— I’m trying my hardest to avoid the Jerry Sandusky situation but it continues to be one big circus. The most recent goof came on Thursday when the newest attorney on his legal team threw out the worst defense in the history of the judicial system by saying his client was only teaching the boys how to properly shower. Un-be-lieve-able:

“Teaching a person to shower at the age of 12 to 14 may sound strange to some people, but actually people who work with troubled youth will tell you there are a lot of juvenile delinquents and people who are dependent who have to be taught basic life skills, like how to put soap on their body.”

How pathetic. I’m not touching this one.

— Sam Hurd of the Chicago Bears better start assembling a legal team of his own. In a story that will certainly get much uglier over the next few weeks, Hurd was arrested on Federal drug charges after he told an undercover agent that he was interested in buying 10 kilos of cocaine at $25,000 per kilo and 1,000 pounds of marijuana at $450 per pound. Expect other NFL players to start dropping off soon as police claim to have a list of the players Hurd distributed to and the list is in “double digits.” The 26-year old Hurd signed a $4.15 million contract with a $1.35 signing bonus with the Bears in the offseason. I’ll never understand why some professional athletes do the things they do.

— We’ll end on a good note and big congratulations to Andre Woodson for earning his college degree. The former Kentucky quarterback will be walking across the stage to receive his bachelor’s degree in community communications and leadership development. Woodson came back to UK this semester to serve as a grad assistant on Joker’s staff while finishing up classes he missed out on when he was busy upsetting LSU, Georgia, and Louisville.

That’s all for now. Tune in to the KSR radio show in the morning when I join Matt to talk about everything going on around the world of UK.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Deron Feldhaus’ Friday News and Views

1. Haters Gonna Hate
    12:01 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Slaters Gonna Slate

2. GZA
    12:07 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Are you gonna spin Mason County during the radio show?

3. BPsycho
    12:13 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Wow…..Just WOW….like how to put soap on their body…

Jerry Sandusky, please kill yourself asap. Just do it….Get it over with. There is no chance of you leaving this earth with any kind of respect or understanding. End it now. Every breath you take is a sin and you no longer deserve to breath.

In closing, please suicide.

4. jwcatfan1
    12:14 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

“community communications and leadership development”…Isn’t that what Obama got his degree in?

5. David from San Diego
    12:22 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

My post has nothing to do with the subject post but a call to KSR staff to identify the NCAA March Madness selection committee members early in the season. We as BBN fans would be well served to know who is on the committee and also debate in advance if the subsequent members have presided over programs who have been compliant during their tenure as AD or whatever positions they serve in and whether they exemplify good judgement in their roles. Gene Smith is an example (chair of last years committee who failed in their seeding process miserably) of a guy who would/should ould have been removed from the committee, had all of the Ohio State violations flushed out in a timely manner. I want to know who is on the selection committee. Fans and the media should scrutinize these individuals in the same manner a judge is scrutinized before he serves in a decision making platform.

6. enough already
    12:31 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

#3 & #5 agree with both

7. Wildcat_Crazy
    12:42 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Go to Cordell’s Wildcat News and check out my Tenn-Chattanooga predictions! Dont agree with me? Become a member and let me hear your opinion in the comment section, or start your own discussions in the Forums page. http://t.co/sb2PTcLH

8. Jerry Sandusky makes me sick
    12:47 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

This world is absolutely saturated with sin. Jerry Sandusky is one of MILLIONS just like him. He just happened to get caught…….20 years later.

9. JBR
    4:19 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

You are correct about the Sandusky deal and a horrible excuse…common sense tells everyone this, but remember, these lawyers are planting seeds, and as stupid as it may sound now…ummm, remember a hot little number named Casey Anthony? Everyone knew she killed her kid, and came up with a desperation excuse that her kid drowned and her dad buried her or something to that effect…ridiculous…and now she is walking free. Just sayin’ don’t underestimate the stupidity of people in this country…and they just may end up on a jury somewhere.

10. Dave in Kabul
    4:45 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

I am in no way defending Jerry Sandusky.

But, if you know anything about taking kids out of poor situations and turning them around, you know this. Many of them have extremely poor hygiene habits.

When I was a Platoon Sergeant in the Army, I had to teach “grown men” how to brush their teeth and shower properly.

By grown men, I’m talking about 18-20 year old kids. Hell, I was a kid myself. I was only 26.

I had to teach these guys how to take a shower. How to brush their teeth. How to launder their clothes and iron their uniforms. All of that kind of thing.

I even had one guy who was ORDERED by the chain of command to shower each morning. The Company 1SG had me wake him before PT at 0500 each morning. I then escorted him to his shower. I handed him shampoo. Waited outside the shower for him to shampoo. I handed him his soap. Waited for him to clean himself. There are plenty of times that this happens in the military.

In this particular instance, the guy just stank. Asshole and elbow stank. The problem was that someone had to hold his feet during PT while he did Sit Ups. He had to work somewhere during the day. The kid stank so bad that everyone complained.

However, I’d have NEVER entered the shower with the kid. We actually had a video that demonstrated how to shower.

This kid was pretty messed up, though. Over time, we learned that he had been forced to watch his father molest his Sister while he was a kid. It happened from the time he was a toddler to the time he was about 16 or 17.

There are some sick f*ckin’ bastards out there.

If Sandusky took advantage of these kids in the manner in which he is accused, he should be taken out back of the court room and executed.

11. LaLa
    4:48 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

9) exactly right. if you ever end up in court, go for the jury trial, not just a judge making the decision. and have Matt Jones as your lawyer.

12. njcssb10
    5:16 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Of course Hayes’ heart exam came back with an abnormality. Every Kentucky fan could tell you that the man played with more heart than anyone else on the court.

13. SexnNursinHomes
    6:38 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

3- classic

10- damn, that’s crazy. And I highly doubt that sandusky was giving these boys military hygiene lessons.

14. GZA
    6:39 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

#12 Never have truer words been uttered.

15. ItsGottaBeTheShoes
    7:02 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

According to his twitter @WoodDro52 won the man of the year. Sites any one know bout that?

16. josh
    7:16 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

#3- I hope he does not kill himself. He needs to go to prison and face the fear that the children experienced at his hands. Unless he is kept in isolation, he has no chance. There is one giant “no-no” crime that all cons agree upon: Don’t hurt children… Dark days ahead for that guy.

17. coolio
    7:17 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

16. Trolls gonna troll.

18. coolio
    7:19 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

17. 12 year old trolls gonna troll.

19. barn
    7:23 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

16)i’m shocked cal doesn’t know who birch is. cal does recruit. uncle wes does not hand pick players and send them to honest cal. cal has worked an honest day in his life.

20. No Sandusky Apologist
    7:26 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Unfortunately, Sandusky may have a point, as Dooley has publicly admitted to teaching showering techniques to his team. I still am thinking Sandusky should go to jail or face castration or both

21. Breaking News
    7:31 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

OMG!!!! Say it ain’t so

22. SamKat
    7:51 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Re- Deron Feldhaus and his father, Alan

Father Alan was the “Enforcer” on Rupp teams of 60-61. Deron had a great game in frustrating Shaq O’Neil in a game with LSU. Deron was hitting shots from around the free throw and Shaq wouldn’t come out after him. Finally Shaq came out on Daron. When the foul was called Shaq threw the ball to the floor with such force that it bounded up, up, and up as if it would hit the Rupp ceiling. The big fellow had strength even then, but his frustration with Deron on that day was overwhelming him into a game not too dissimilar to Jones’ game at Indiana.

23. RickyPVoodooDoll
    7:55 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

#22 Dooley did not take showers with them himself, he just talked to them.

24. billy
    7:56 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Calipari not know who the top center in the whole United States is? What kind of coach has Kentucky hired anyway. Ha. Biggest joke I’ve heard in my life.

25. GoCats2
    7:57 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

The first bracketology has UK a #1 seed in the same bracket as UL as the #2 seed with a chance to see them in St. Louis with a chance to go to the Final Four. Of course UL would have to get by Murray State in the Sweet Sixteen.

26. GoCats2
    8:08 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

^^sorry didnt see the earlier post on this^^ hard to belive I missed a KSR post!

27. R U FO REALZ?
    8:29 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

27. please go die and save the planet from anymore of your stupidity. Trolls are the worst kind of loser.

28. Oogie Boogie Man
    8:37 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

Why would Khem Birch transfer anywhere to play another year in college? With stats like those he’s a lock for the first round of the next NBA draft (see Orton, Daniel).

29. chstrckwl
    9:25 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

“I’m not touching this one.”

If only Jerry Sandusky would’ve had a similar philosophy…

30. DT in DC
    9:51 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

#10 – Sad! And yes, there are some effed up people in this world. I want to be on juries that can send pervs like that to jail until they rot.

And re: Deron. Man, as a high school girl in the early 90s, did I LOOOOVE me some Deron Feldhaus. I remember seeing him in a hotel during an exhibition game and got my picture with him. Greatest photo ever (with the exeption of my huge early 90s hair).

31. Blue Ben
    10:56 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

While that is an absurd excuse for that particular situation. I have worked with troubled kids for over a decade. You would be suprised how many of those kids do not know how to properly shower. It is true, regardless of how absurd you may think it is.

32. UkFaninWV
    12:26 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Hurd better get a better agent too if he only got a dollar and thirty-five cents as a signing bonus!!!

10 – Dave, when I read your post I actually started to weep. I wish I could have 15 minutes to beat the living sh.t out of a useless piece of garbage that would force their own children to endure such atrocities just so he can get his rocks off. My brother is a federal prison guard and tells me those kind of “creatures – they are subhuman in my book” don’t fair too well in lockup. Even criminals have some empathy in them. At least some amount of justice is served IF you can get a conviction.

33. Dave in Kabul
    1:51 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

When he told his story, we were all taken aback. He was a troubled kid. He wound up being charged in a courts martial and sent to the Quantico Brig in Virginia. That’s how all of this came out. The Social Worker from his childhood was brought in by the Defense to testify on his behalf.

The whole damn courtroom was in tears. Hard assed Command Sergeants Major were brought to tears that day. Had that kids father been near at hand that day, I doubt he’d have made it home.

Apparently, his father would come in to the room, tell him pretend like he was asleep. Then the father would molest the sister. While exiting, he’d threaten violence if either of them told anyone.

The kids home life was a living terror.

I’d love to be able to castrate, torture and then crucify f*cks like that upside down on a cross.

What I don’t understand in the Fine and Sandusky situations is that some of these situations went on into the adulthood of the victims. How is it possible that an adult allows himself to be victimized in such a manner. I don’t know the dynamics of child molestation. Is there some kind of desire to stay involved with the perpetrator of these types of crime? Is it a self esteem thing? Very strange.

34. jengland
    2:31 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

$450 per pound! Considering the rate for an ounce these days $450 has the potential for some serious profit

35. Dane Brammage
    6:14 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Khem is short for ‘Khemuhkuhl’.

Shabazz is changing his name to ‘Shoe-bazz’ (Addidas approved).