Dermontti Dawson’s Saturday Night Notes

Today was a very special day for one former Kentucky football player, Dermontti Dawson. Dawson was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame, one of the most prestigious honors imaginable for a football player. The honor put Dawson into a very special category, as one of only two former UK Wildcats to ever be inducted into the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame. George Blanda was the first.

Throughout his NFL career, Dawson was heralded for his versatility and consistency. Dawson was a mainstay at the center position for the Steelers for years. Dawson played in 170 consecutive games– an impressive feat for any athlete at any level. Dawson also reached the Pro Bowl in seven straight seasons, signifying his dominance as a center in the league. Dawson led the way for Jerome Bettis to become one of the premier rushers in the NFL. Dawson’s high school football coach, Steve Parker, was his presenter. Parker went up to Dawson during his junior year of high school and put his arm around him before talking him into playing. It’s a pretty neat story and Kentucky fans should be very proud of Dermontti Dawson and his achievements.

And now on to some news from a fairly slow Saturday…

– The morning started with an Olympic basketball game that packed much more excitement and suspense than I think a lot of people expected. Lithuania gave Team USA a run for their money, keeping the game interesting until literally the final minute. LeBron James channeled some of his playoff magic down the stretch, with Team USA making just enough key plays to hold off a Lithuania team doing nearly everything right to pull the upset. The final margin ended up being 99-94, sending a bit of a message to the world that Team USA is capable of falling victim to an upset. I think the elimination games coming up might be quite interesting. The reality of the closer games though is that Anthony Davis likely won’t see much of the court. And contrary to some people’s belief, I don’t think it’s a major “Coach K hates UK” conspiracy theory. Although I would have liked to see Davis play in a more “crunch time” situation, potentially providing a shot-blocking presence for a United States team that could have used it at times against Lithuania, I think Davis’ inexperience is keeping Coach K from feeling comfortable using him in those key game situations. Perhaps that will change as the tournament goes on, but it seems as if Davis will likely only receive playing time when the game is already in hand.

Nerlens Noel tried to quiet the worries, rumors and speculation about the exact date of his arrival on UK’s campus by talking to Rivals.com. Noel wanted Big Blue Nation to know that he will be in Lexington on August 19th. According to Noel, he has finally finished all of his requirements and will be ready to join his teammates very soon. I will still feel much more comfortable when I see pictures of him and Archie Goodwin shootin’ in the gym, or eating a burger at Tolly-Ho. But it’s hard to imagine that Noel would go out of his way to name an arrival date and make it public that he’s finished his course work if he really hasn’t.

– Speaking of Nerlens Noel, he and two other future Wildcats are currently participating in the Adidas Nations event. For those unfamiliar with the event, it is used to identify the top young basketball players in the world, providing training and competition for the athletes. The world’s top players who are under the age of 19 are brought together and placed on 1 of 9 regional teams from Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Willie Cauley-Stein, Nerlens Noel and Kyle Wiltjer were all invited to participate for the United States team. The event is taking place in Orange County, California. A few other Kentucky targets were selected to the team as well, including Cliff Alexander and Jordan Mickey.

– UK Football hosted “Fan Day” this evening at Commonwealth Stadium. The best news of the day was that the weather held off beautifully, though threats of rain seemed likely, allowing the show to go on as planned. Only a limited amount of stock can be placed on an open practice to the public, but a few interesting nuggets did leak out about what took place at Fan Day:

A lot of positive feedback on the play of Morgan Newton. All four quarterbacks had the opportunity to throw under light pressure, and Newton seemed to surprise a lot of people coming off of a shoulder surgery. Newton threw the two most impressive deep balls of the day, completing a 30-yard pass to Demarco Robsinson and later a 40-50 yard bomb to Aaron Boyd. The arm appeared to look fine and Newton might have raised some eyebrows, continuing the great debate about the starting quarterback issue.

– Patrick Towles looked good in the routine passing drills, but once the defenders were added he showed a bit of inexperience and perhaps nervces. Towles threw two picks, including one on his first throw of the evening. Max Smith also threw a pair of picks, and seemed to struggle a bit with accuracy overall. For Towles’ part, Joker Phillips had positive commentary following the practice on his play. Phillips liked his confidence and the way he commanded the huddle. But Phillips also seemed happy with Newton’s play, and reminded everyone once again that the competition is alive and well.

– Freshman RB Dyshawn Mobley may have been the biggest bright spot in the evening, drawing rave reviews, especially regarding his strength and size– prompting his coach to make some bold statements about him as well. (Fun fact: word on the street is that Mobley can dead lift 700 lbs. Yikes). “He could be one of those guys that sets all kinds of records here. He’s very, very, very strong.”

– A picture of approximately 1/2 the crowd from Kentucky’s Fan Day (h/t Kyle Tucker’s hair)

– In “Kentucky players in the NBA” news, we had two very different stories come out this afternoon. Daniel Orton has to be one happy guy with his news today. Orton has signed a deal with his hometown NBA team, the Oklahoma City Thunder. Not only will Orton be joining one of the best teams in the NBA (a team where young players are given an opportunity to play, as well), but he gets the luxury of returning to a comfortable place. Daniel Orton has struggled in his first few seasons in the NBA with the Orlando Magic, but I can’t imagine a better POTENTIAL place for Orton to succeed than with the Thunder. What he does with the opportunity is yet to be determined, but I can’t imagine the stars aligning much better for Orton.

– Josh Harrellson found his name on the opposite end of the NBA news spectrum. Reports came out today that the Houston Rockets will likely wave Josh Harrellson by August 15th. When the Knicks sent Harrellson to the Rockets, many believed this might eventually be his fate, seeing the number of big men being stockpiled in Houston. Harrellson fits a niche though for NBA teams who need a big man who can play a back-up role, with high character, who can play in the pick-and-roll offense. Harrellson is more than capable, as we saw him play the pick-and-roll almost to perfection at times while at Kentucky. He also had success in his short time with the Knicks. The move, though sad for Harrellson in the short-term, should signify the Rockets being more likely to keep another former Cat– Patrick Patterson. It also means one less person for Terrence Jones to compete with for playing time.  Best of luck to Harrellson if the speculation turns out to be true.

– Coach Cal had a humble brag moment, comparing rings with Ed “Too Tall” Jones (1978 Super Bowl ring)…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

42 Comments for Dermontti Dawson’s Saturday Night Notes

1. BPsycho
    11:05 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Oh god another ring! *forms cross with fingers*

2. BPsycho
    11:09 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know where I can get a life size cut out of Matt Jones? I am so damn hung up on that guy! lol. Same with Marc Maggard, I’ll pay top dollar

3. JBR
    11:13 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

NO, NO, NO…not more pre-season Joker is infatuated with Morgan Newton talk. We hear this each pre-season, how great Newton is…and then we see him play. Joker has had a man crush on Newton since he arrived, and ran off the best QB from that class…now it is starting again already. Yes, he has a big arm…but unless he had a brain transplant over the off season, he is has not shown the ability to play the position effectively in games. Sorry, it is just the truth.

4. Beatle Bum
    11:16 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Mobley is not a DB. Funny how this site never makes such simple mistakes about basketball.

5. Owen
    11:17 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Chuck Hayes isn’t with the Rockets anymore. He signed as a free agent with the Kings before last season…

6. Linda Taylor
    11:17 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Ally-I thought Chuck Hayes was out in Sacramento with Boogie. Did you mean Patrick Patterson?

7. Beatle Bum
    11:17 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

#3 = idiot = UL fan

8. GoCats2
    11:18 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

#2 Have you tried Craigs list?

9. GoCats2
    11:19 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

For what it’s worth I am infatuated with Matt as well.

10. Ally Tucker
    11:21 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Yes, Linda. Good eye. Mine are apparently a little tired.

11. BPsycho
    11:22 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

#2 Hey buddy 😀

You’re doing better trying to be me, spelling my name right this time and all lol

I would purchase a life size cut out of Matt Jones and Marc Maggard! Matt Jones’ so I can get my hair perfect, and MM’s to use as disguise to get in and out of Mehico whenever I needed.

How is your cut out of Drake holding up? Did you get around to ordering that replica ring yet? Even tho it’s cardboard the ring should still fit well. Let me know, cause I don’t want a Matt Jones one unless I can put a ring on it.

12. ATLCat
    11:22 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

As both a Steeler & a Cat fan, today was a very good day! Go Steelers! Go Big Blue!

13. Linda Taylor
    11:23 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Ally-My eyes always get tired during the Olympics too, way too much tv.

14. Reds best record in NL
    11:36 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

I recall a certain KSR mod talking smack about the Reds after a 7-9 start. Here’s laughing at you now bud. To you credit, maybe Coach Cal rubbed off on them.

15. Go Bungles!
    11:38 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

12 – must be nice to watch your team win in the NFL. Big Bengal fan right from Cincy right here…I’m just glad we’ve made the playoffs a couple times recently.

16. slick rick
    11:40 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

does Coach Cal have a french manicure?!?

17. Jake_GOCATS
    11:41 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Yeah baby! Reds have best record in the Majors now! Let’s go Reds!

18. Lol
    12:03 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

Well what do ya know we got another good running back but will we have good blockers for him. Thts how it always goes. I love my cats but were not so hot in football. I really hope this season we surprise everyone cux I’m tired of hearing weak card fans tlkin trash. #bbn

19. Spizzwinkle
    12:20 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

Drake’s dad is white??

20. Gabe daddi
    12:29 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

I wish ksr had a positive view on football. The crowd was a lot better than the picture indicates.

21. Seth in the OC
    12:50 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

When I read about the ADIDAS Nations event I got excited that I might be able to see Nerlens, Wiltjer, and WCS way out here, then found out it’s not open to the public. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I need to see these boys ball in person! Matt, get me a press pass and I’ll write up a post about it!

22. Baldi
    1:15 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

So it looks like another year of beating our heads against the wall with Newton.

Wheels on the bus go round and round.

23. Hal
    1:19 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

waiting for gottlieb/thayer/etc to write on how coach K isn’t a good coach & could’ve used his TOs better. i mean with all that talent coach k has yet lithuania only loses by 5 points…..

24. #Rise
    1:26 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

Must be tough to throw 2 picks the first day of practice when you only threw one pick your entire senior year of high school.

25. Ben
    1:50 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

The writing about Dermonti was lacking. Please give him a post deserving of the second player from UK to be voted into the NFL HOF.

26. jill
    2:59 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

LOL yall are stupid if you think yall football team will any good. My cardinal team is real good. We are so good we could beat NFL teams. Yall suck. LOL

27. jill
    4:36 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

LOL I said yall are stupid and yall football team sucks. LOL My cards will beat yall bad. My cards will win the BCS championship this year. LOL

28. BPsycho
    5:08 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

#27 bitch yo momma so fat Dyshawn Mobley couldn’t lift er.

29. sarge
    7:16 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

hey, beetle bum, just because the guy doesn’t want Newton to be the QB doesn’t mean he’s a UL troll. Actually, it probably makes him a far better UK fan than you. He actually wants UK to win football games, maybe. You football apologists sure don’t. Also, if Joker puts Newton back in the first string, I swear I’m done with UK football. Forever.

30. James K
    7:21 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

All I know is that Orton sucks on 2K12.

31. jo anne
    7:46 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

Ben, why don’t you write a piece on Dermonti Dawson here in the comments section and we’ll all marvel your brilliance.

32. IBEW
    8:54 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

@28

Yo mom’s so fat no one can lift her. No one. Not even a group of guys. She’s big

33. Groundhog day
    8:55 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

Bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, pass the look test. Now we are hearing about Newton and the deep ball again. He never had a problem with his arm. He had a problem leading the team and keeping the ball in the stadium. Hitting 2 passes in “practice” does not mean you can lead a team in the SEC.

34. Jon Lock
    9:26 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

For what it’s worth, I was at fan day, and Newton DID look better than I have ever seen him look. Not only is he in MUCH better shape right now than he ever has in his career here, he was easily throwing the best passes of anyone at the practice. Just a few days ago, I was with you guys about being done with him, but he REALLY impressed me out there. I know it is hard to judge after one practice where there isn’t any contact, but if Newton ends up starting this year, I wouldn’t mind it, which I never thought I would say. Newton may surprise a lot of people this year, along with the rest of this team.

35. Jim
    9:37 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

I see a lot of fans showed up at Commonwealth. It is going to much the same for the games as well. Joker & Barnhart = epic fail

36. JayCee
    9:42 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

So, 4 picks by the worst secondary in the league?

Yeah. Gonna be a long year.

34- Not possible. I have it on good authority from this very board that Pat Towles is the second coming of Dan Marino.

37. Gogh Big Bleu
    10:20 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

16) YES! I was thinking the same thing!

38. Gogh Big Bleu
    10:20 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal with French tips???

39. Millie
    11:20 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

I love Cal, but he needs to rethink the french tips.

40. Jim
    12:15 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

You all are silly. Neither one of those hands belong to Cal or Too Tall Jones (who is African American, btw). The hand holding the UK ring belongs to a woman because you can even see her wedding ring. Silly….

41. nathan
    6:37 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

The picture of fan day looks like it was taken right before it was ending. A little more crowded than it looks there.
    Only gripe was that the practice lasted 2 hours. However, they probably need all the reps they can get.

42. Beavis
    7:26 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Would not make any difference if we had Dan Marino behind center. You have to have an O line that can block. That is where the offense will live or die.