Derek Willis says the Harrison twins will pick Kentucky

Ally made a note of this in the News and Views but it’s worth mentioning again to make sure it doesn’t go unnoticed. Derek Willis, Kentucky’s lone commitment from next year’s class, wants the best of the best from the 2013 class to join him at Kentucky. He told the Kentucky Kernel that he wants Julius Randle, Andrew Wiggins and the Harrison twins to all pick UK so they can chase an NCAA Championship together. He even went as far to say the Harrison twins will pick the Cats.

“The Harrison twins, I think, are a definite for sure,” he said.

Boom.

You can hang another banner if the twins are in Kentucky blue.

[Willis looking for a title at UK]

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Derek Willis says the Harrison twins will pick Kentucky

1. Hello kitty
    11:29 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

And I’m sure they appreciate this lanky dork telling the world for them

2. tom
    11:30 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

“You can hang another banner if the twins are in Kentucky blue.”

Pretty ambitious statement. What do you base it on besides the fact that Jones said it?

3. Bo Jackson
    11:31 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

Well if Derek Willis said it… It must be true

4. Sure
    11:36 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

As a UK commit and current high school athelete, he probably has more scoop than any of us. However, I don’t think Derek is in the twins’ inner circle so I’ll wait to hear it from them.

5. woody's barber
    11:36 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

Im not exactly sold on willis as nastradamus or as a player. In a way i wish he would go elsewhere and open the scholly up for Gordon. I know that is bad because he is a local kid but most believe he isnt the best player on his team. The best player at bullitt east just signed with bellarmine i heard.

6. OneAndDone
    11:38 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

1) I bet you would be calling him a “lanky dork” if he didn’t stiff your Cards for a better school/team. Keep trollin’

7. minton
    11:38 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

and twiiiiiiiiins!

8. milosh
    11:44 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

can we please let go of this willis kid.. what does he bring to the table? who cares if he’s a kentucky kid.. only iu fans care that their kids are from the home state.

9. maybe
    11:51 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

Ya ever thought that maybe – Willis (and his dad) have talked to Cal about his plans for recruiting and filling out the ’13 class? I’m sure Cal would share his wish list with them. And I’m sure the twins are on that list. With that “news” – just like many of you would do – Willis took the leap, and said the twins would come to UK. He may not know anything FOR SURE, but he is way more connected than 99% of the knuckleheads on this site.

And for what its worth, we haven’t heard any recruits from Maryland or SMU saying the twins were going there…

10. RichieFarmer'sMustache
    11:55 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

The only twins I covet are Kate Upton’s.

11. Coach Durbin
    11:58 am August 29, 2012 Permalink

5) Schollys will never be an issue under Cal. We wil have another 2-3 guys go pro this year and have plenty of room. To be successful we need some non “one and done” players (ie Miller, Lamb, Wiltjer) to mix with top 10 guys. That’s what made last year’s team so special. We had 3 guys coming back that had final 4 experience. If we can mix up some 3 and 4 year players with the top talent, we will be tough to stop.

12. DC Cat
    12:03 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

I hope Willis is another Darius Miller and not a Josh Carrier..

13. over rated
    12:13 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

What does this “kid” know? He lives in Mt. Washington,KY. Don’t let confidence substitute ignorance.

14. theWilkman
    12:27 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

He looks like Tim Condo

15. Mike
    12:37 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

Appreciate Derek sharing the safe lofty goals that we all share, and it is nice to have him share his thoughts on the twins as well, but I would feel much better if he would aim at improving his incoming draft status and not sliding on the charts as previously reported.

16. Zeke69
    12:37 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

I for one am glad we got Derek Willis and hope he has a great career. They all can’t be one and dones and I am fine with some four year role players from KY like Hood as long as Cal keeps getting the ADs of the world.

17. theWilkman
    12:41 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

Tim Condo is the drummer from the wildly successful Astor Place Riot. Check out their music, and tell me Willis doesn’t look like Tim!

18. 3 fan
    12:51 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

Willis is probably guessing like the rest of us. Since he didn’t play the AAU circuit and he has dropped out of the top 100 of every ranking, kinda doubt he and the Twins hang out.

19. Shawn
    12:51 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

Yes please!!

20. Alan "Idle Hour" Johnson
    1:10 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

14. He does look like Tim Condo. Is it Astor Place Riot? I thought they were going by Tims Winter? Kinda Concerning?

21. theWilkman
    1:20 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

20 – you’re confusing that with his stage name, Tim Zwinter

22. Alan "Idle Hour" Johnson
    1:25 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

21. What kind of 25 year old has a stage name? He always reminded me of Todd from Wedding Crashers and he looks like someone who works at the Boone Center. They must be brothers.

23. Jim G.
    2:33 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

You can always count on Drew to take a 17yr old’s opinion and turn it into fact.

BREAKING: UK will win national championships in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 all with #1 recruiting classes… this according to some kid in front of me in line at McDonalds.

24. WTF
    2:48 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

I highly doubt that the Harrison twins even talk to or know who Derek Willis is. I’ve watched this guy play the past two years at state tournament and he brings absolutely nothing to the table. If you are a UK recruit for Cal you should at least be able to will any high school in the state to a couple of wins at state tourney as weak as Kentucky high school basketball is. This kid couldn’t play at Morehead, Eastern, Northern, or Western Kentucky. I’d say the rest of the recruits are waiting on Cal to take that scholarship back before they commit. Don’t get me wrong, I like Wiltjer, and I think he will turn out to be a great one, but over the four years the Willis kid is at UK, he won’t produce 10% of what Wiltjer did this past year. This scholarship needs dropped ASAP!

25. Beavis
    3:04 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

Number 24,,,,,so since Cal offered this kid a scholarship,,,you do not think Cal knows what he is doing ??? If coach Cal see something in this kid,,,thats good enough for me.

26. dick gosinia
    3:39 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

I hope all of you bashing D.W. are U of Smell trolls. Can’t believe a true UK fan would treat one of Cal’s commits and future UK player that way when he hasn’t played one minute for UK and with Cal’s history of making players better. I don’t care how great or not-great he turns out to be. Cal wanted him and he wanted UK and that is good enough for me.

He will probably end up Mr. Basketball and I would like us to sign the Kentucky Mr. basketball EVERY year!

27. Beavis
    4:26 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

Not only did coach Cal want him,,,,Louisville and 15 second Rick wanted him bad. I suspect these UK fans that are bashing the kid are in fact sore Louisville fans. Hell,,,I like the fact that he may have recruited a kid that will be here longer than one year.

28. fab five
    4:47 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

yeah i bet willis talks to them daily.. hes no juwan howard recruiting the big names to join him

29. Randy Marsh
    6:42 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

@ Wilkman…this guy Derek Willis, while he may be awesome and a future UK Cayt, is clearly not as good looking as Tim Condo.

30. Randy Marsh
    6:44 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

@ Alan “Idle Hour” Johnson…Tim Zwinter was a lesser-known side project, and I can see the resemblance to “Todd” from Wedding Crashers, but he also kinda looks like Dennis from Always Sunny, or so people say..

31. Goodman's Fat Head
    9:37 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

‘You can hang another banner if the twins are in Kentucky blue.’

LOL Wait a sec. The twins couldn’t even win their Texas state high school championship. They are good but not that good.

32. Beavis
    9:49 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

No 31,,,,,so you know more about basketball talent than coach Cal and the experts. One of two things here,,,,,the basketball experts are all wrong,,,or you are wrong.

33. WTF
    8:35 am August 30, 2012 Permalink

@25 and that’s why your name is Beavis!