Derek Dooley done at Tennessee

(US Presswire)

According to VolQuest.com, Tennessee coach Derek Dooley has been fired.

Less than 24 hours after a four-overtime loss to Missouri at home, Tennessee is expected to begin the search for its fourth head coach since 2008 by season’s end. It confirms what most of the college football world has seen coming from a long way away.

Dooley has a $5 million buyout to his contract that Tennessee will not hesitate to pay in order to move on. The only question now is “when” the announcement will come, not “if.”

His tenure as the Volunteer’s head coach has been sub-standard for the tradition in Vol country. His first season was a surprising 6-7 that fans accepted following the mess of Lane Kiffin leaving for the greener pastures of Southern California. His second season regressed to 5-7, and finally the unacceptable 4-6 so far this season.

Dooley has only won four SEC games. The same number as Joker Phillips in his three years at Kentucky.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

57 Comments for Derek Dooley done at Tennessee

1. Fact Check
    5:34 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Fourth head coaching search since 2008? 1) Fulmer replaced by Kiffin 2) Kiffin replaced by Dooley 3) Dooley replaced by ?

Isn’t that three?

2. tdogg40330
    5:35 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

how ironic??

3. Minnesota slim
    5:36 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Let’s go get him! He’d look good in blue pants!

4. Knowledgedropper
    5:37 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Both of which are playing in the US army high school all-American game

5. Stuart Hammer
    5:37 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

1 – Poorly worded on my part. Not the fourth search, rather the fourth head coach. I’ve edited the story for clarity.

6. James K
    5:44 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Kiffin is starting to lose fans at USC, so I bet UT fans are enjoying that.

7. Han
    5:45 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

And baby makes 3.

I hope Mitch already has strong lines of communication to the guys he’s after.

6) That’s because Kiffin has been cheating in little ways his entire career and it’s bush league.

8. KYStout
    5:47 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Petrino to Tennessee rumors in 3…2…1

Better move fast, Mitch.

9. Trevor
    5:47 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I hope Mitch is working behind the scenes. That is 4 confirmed jobs in the SEC and UK being the worse….

10. Knowledgedropper
    5:48 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

James quick and Jason hatcher will apparently strongly consider committing to UK if petrino is hired

11. tdogg40330
    5:50 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#9 I was wonderin the same thang

12. tdogg40330
    5:52 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

10) who is the 4th?? UK, Auburn and UT is all I know

13. Knowledge dropper
    5:53 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I got inside info on this shizz

14. Reason
    5:53 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Surprise! I honestly never thought his player had his back, watching Bray play was a unmotivating to his teammates. I think they were waiting for this to happen

15. Mike
    5:54 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

13 – Arkansas

16. tdogg40330
    6:00 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

16) didnt know that, but they dont count in the Petrino sweep stakes. No chance he goes back

17. TN Cat
    6:04 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I told all my UT buddies when Dooley was hired that he was just a football version of BCG. It’s great to be a UT hater and living in TN right now.

18. Hoops Malone
    6:04 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I’ll bet Bobby Petrino’s dad is calling Knoxville media right now…

19. Trevor
    6:04 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#13 Arkansas has been open all year. JohnL. Smith was just interim while they looked

20. Trevor
    6:06 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#18 Petrino isn’t the only candidate. In fact I would be surprised if UK got him. 4 jobs open and Petrino will be a candidate for 3.

21. duckdynasty
    6:07 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet your new UK football coach

22. Mitch Barneyhart
    6:09 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Dooley to UK in 3… 2… 1, any takers??

23. SexnNursinHomes
    6:11 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Macon Vol will show his chest hair now. Kudos to him.

24. tdogg40330
    6:13 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

wonder why the football coaching search has been so hush hush??

25. bob
    6:16 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

How about Jim Tressel? He’s made it to the bcs championship game and he’s an alot better recruiter than Petrino is anyways. And Mitch did say take a chance on a big name, his name is the biggest.

26. duckdynasty
    6:25 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Dooley sux, sux bad, sux real bad, sux really bad, sux really really bad, and UK will hire him, cause its about all UK football will ever be

27. Logic
    6:26 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Mitch: bring the ticket buyers back. Hire Bobby P!

28. SeoulCat
    6:26 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I can’t wait for the Lame Duck Bowl in two weeks!

29. BBB
    6:33 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Hows ’bout we hire Howard Schnellenberger and then we could be on a collision course with a national championship!! We could all buy a pipe!
    For a few days here the football fans have been boiling at the idea of getting a great coach. I actually put “Petrino buys house in Lexington” on the sign outside my barber shop. I got more response off that than “half price haircuts”. I feel a great letdown coming ya’ll. I’ll bet we get Western Kentuckys offensive coordinator! Thanks Mitch!

30. Sammydog
    6:34 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Tessel can’t coach yet due to his NCAA violations. I would not want to go against Tenn. or Auburn for B. Petrino’s services no matter how much $$ we offer. If they want him they will offer more. He would have more time to perform at KY but I don’t know if that would be an issue. I would guess Ark has their choice locked up since they have had a year. ARK fans have mentioned Strong but I doubt he leaves Lville just yet.

31. Chutch
    6:34 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Did anybody notice that Kent state is now ranked in the top 25????? We now have a win over a top 25 team this year. Go cats

32. tdogg40330
    6:37 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Charlie Strong is OVERRATED, they dont play anybody.

33. BBB
    6:37 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I think at this point anything less than Petrino or Jim Tressel will just be another ho hum, big yawn, glad we’re a basketball school type of response. How bout bringin back Paw paw Brooks?

34. Ukalum
    6:46 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Petrino would be a candidate for three SEC jobs but I doubt petrino would take auburn as long as UT and kentucky are interested. Auburn is a better program but in a division with Alabama, lsu, Texas a&m, and miss state only getting better each year, that’s a hard mountain to climb. Uk can offer Petrino and his potential staff higher salaries since UT will be paying Dooley and his staff for the next few seasons to not coach at Tennessee.

35. soggyUKgrad
    6:56 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

34)…I’m not trying to “stir the pot”, but aren’t we also paying Joker to not be our head coach?

36. Mike
    6:56 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Not Tressel – he is a cheater. Petrine cheated on his wife, Tressel had NCAA violations. No thank you. I don’t think the sweater would be successful at U K anyway, we don’t get the kind of kids he did in Ohio. I think Petrino would be a better hire.

37. Ukalum
    6:59 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Jim Tressel is a huge risk. To big for UK to consider. His NCAA punishment could be amended to include things like recruiting restrictions,etc and for a program that needs to get on the right track yesterday, it’s not a wise choice. Petrino or kirby smart would be the only two home run hires that Mitch could make. And kirby smart likely isn’t leaving Alabama anytime soon. So what Mitch needs to do is offer petrino 2mill a year with yearly increases and bonuses. Add in an escape clause in case he finds another pretty blonde. And put a clause that states if petrino leaves before the end of the third season he will have to pay back his entire contract. That way he is locked in for at least three years. If he leaves after that the program would have likely recruited well and been to bowl games so we could get a decent coach then.

38. Ukalum
    7:00 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

35) we are paying joker 2.5 million to not be our coach. UT is paying Dooley 5 million to not be their coach 2.5 million can go along way.

39. CAUKFAN
    7:03 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I’ll bet Paw paw has had enough fishing.

40. pay up
    7:04 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#35 yeah but we R paying joker a lot less not to coach than they are gonna pay Dooley not to coach. About half

41. Rixter
    7:09 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Rumor is Phil Fulmer is interested in the UT job.

Secondly, between U of L and UK, which team has a win over a Top 25 opponent?

42. explorer
    7:15 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#37 sorry to pick on you but your post is similar to others that have been posted. I realize that Petrino needs a job, but he is not that desperate. What makes you think anyone would sign a contract like that? If UK proposed something like that Petrino or any coach would just move on.

The lawyers that represent these coaches are very good at what they do. They are professional negotiaters. They will shop their clients until they find they best deal. Especially if they have multiple options.

Bottom line UK is not in a negotiating position of strength with a high profile coach.

43. ciach search
    7:16 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Looks like UT bit on Petrino’s fathers comments

44. soggyUKgrad
    7:18 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

38)..I had no idea UT was paying Dooley that much…that’s hilarious!!!! $5 million sure does buy a lot of those hideous orange pants!!!!

45. Twill84
    7:29 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

No more Brooks please. I love Brooks and I know he had success here but he is way to conservative with the play calling both ways. We need somebody exciting in here to pump some energy in this program and I think we’ll get it even if we don’t get Petrino. Barnhart knows if he screws this search up the next one will likely be him searching for a new job. Relax guys, we’ll get a good one or we’ll get a good AD who will!

46. explorer
    7:35 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

You guys need a reality check. Mitch will never get fired at UK.

47. Ukalum
    7:39 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

42) I didn’t suggest that type of contract because it favors petrino. Petrino wouldn’t have to accept the offer but if the other SEC schools pass him over and he wants to be in the SEC then he would accept it. Every contract has an escape clause and as the clause about repaying the contract most guaranteed coaching contracts have a stipulation about paying X amount of dollars to leave a school. A high buyout is as much security for the coach as it is for the program and it it only lasted for three seasons uk or petrino could walk away from the deal then.

48. GA Wildcat
    8:11 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

If UK does not hire Petrino, UT will do so. UK will also return to the days of getting humiliated by UT losing by 6 TD’s every year. Can you remember WR university?

49. Assman
    8:51 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

We need a coach that can be successful recruiting the top players out of this state. If Petrino is the best choice, so be it. I think UT will go after Gruden but worry about Auburn going after Petrino. Don’t know about Arkansas but we know it won’t be BP. Could be Malzahn. It would be interesting to see who BP would bring in as assistants though. There’s a lot of good OC’s out there but we also need a tough defensive coach too.

50. chief_cat
    2:20 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

Want a lightning rod that would bring 4 and 5 star recruits to UK by the droves? A guy who has forgotten more football that most will ever know? A guy with unmatched passion and someone who ESPN, et al will line up to cover? Hire a completely untested yet likely to succeed guy. Hire Ray Lewis!!!

51. Beavis
    7:23 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

Think 19,000 fans was bad in Commonwealth,,,,,just wait for the 19,000 fans in Neyland when the Cats go to Knoxville. They will probably make it the SEC game of the weak,,,,,I mean week.

52. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:25 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

42) I completely agree. There is no way BP signs a contract with the financial handcuffs some are suggesting. He has no reason to do it. He has the leverage, not UK. Because of this, I am not on the BP bandwagon. If I thought he would stay for at least 3 years, I’m all for him. But I have doubts he would stay that long.

53. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:29 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

50) I want some of whatever you’re smoking. Lewis is totally unproven as a coach and all of the management roles that comes with it. Would it make headlines for a few weeks? Hell yeah. Would it put UK football on solid footing to to be competitive in the SEC? Nope.

54. johnson hardwick
    8:12 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

..hang down your head derek dooley, poor boy. as a joker advocate would say, dooley needed at least 6 or 7 years to get his system in place. now no one will want the job because tenn fired him so quickly, or so the pro-joker camp would say. i guess tenn just doesn’t get it. …down in some lonesome valley…..

55. Steve
    11:14 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

SINce Matt JOnes knows it all…put him as head coach and see how many games he wins! I doubt any.

56. Kevin C.
    1:26 pm November 12, 2012 Permalink

So, in all likelihood, when UK and UT play in 2 weeks…NEITHER will have a head coach. Has that ever happened??

57. Terry
    10:15 am November 13, 2012 Permalink

Petrino is a lowlife. He left every single school he coached at in shambles and lets all not forget the comment he made about UK during his time at UL. I would be ashamed to call myself a UK fan if we hired Petrino. I think UK needs a good up and coming Coordinator particularly a DC because thats whats the SEC is all bout. DEFENSE.