Derek Anderson Accused of Financing Drug Ring

francois_cunningham
Francois Cunningham, the man who implicated Derek Anderson for financing a cocaine drug ring connected to Ricky Kelly

During testimony in the federal trial of Ricky Kelly, a man once charged in state court with eight murders, a familiar name has popped up: former Cat Derek Anderson.

Kelly is now charged in federal court with a single count of murder in aid of racketeering. Francois Cunningham, a former Fern Creek High School star athlete, made a deal with prosecutors in April for early release in exchange for his testimony. The deal includes interviews with police in which Cunningham confesses to involvement in murders for Kelly back to 1996, including the murder of Gail Duncan, drug running, and more. During these interviews, which were just released to the public, Cunningham implicates Anderson for financing a cocaine drug ring:

[Louisville Metro Police Detective Denny] Butler: “Was Derek Anderson ever present when you all bought narcotics?”
Cunningham: “Nah, he stays away from you know, he’s just the money and he’s not going to get around any of it but, that’s who funnels the money.”

It’s important to note that Anderson has not been charged with a crime; his name has only come up in statements from Cunningham, who is now a free man.

More as we know it.

35 Comments for Derek Anderson Accused of Financing Drug Ring

1. Pete Thamel
    10:48 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

I am looking into this.

2. Delray Beach Cat
    10:50 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

WTF???

3. BPsycho
    11:00 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Well, he does look like a snitch….

4. Mr Schwump
    11:04 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

What a tangled web we weave……….

5. samismammy
    11:12 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

2)-I couldn’t say it any better!!!

6. GoCats2
    11:12 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

I blame this guy for us not winning the title in 97.

7. golden ticket
    11:12 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

What a tangled web we weave? Meaning exactly what? Don’t be cryptic-it doesn’t become you.

8. The Triumverate
    11:23 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Wonder if theres any way Cal can be blamed for this?

9. Highschool Memories
    11:25 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Wow! Had a friend from highschool tell me early my freshman year that Derek Anderson supplied all the crack in Louisville. He was from public school, i was from private, and we ended up at a private highschool. Really cool kid but I figured he was just blowing smoke. Then this comes out….Damn DA.

10. Killer
    11:28 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Watch what you say about this Cunningham dude. One of the best athletes who didnt make it, also one of the most notorious killers to ever walk the streets and will be walking them again, that’s SCARY

11. Jones Returns
    11:33 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

So that now makes 2 players on the 1996 championship team alone with HARD CORE SERIOUS criminal records. (Walker and Anderson) Wow! Let’s not forget Desmond Allison was just murdered just over a month ago…You know what would be an amazing post that I would like to see KSR do? List how many Rick Pitino recruits/players have been involved in criminal activity. I’m betting hands down that he has more former players that have been arrested than any coach in the history of the NCAA. Not to mention he, himself, has been in the center of a federally tried case just over a year ago. Guy is as dirty as they get.

12. Old School
    11:35 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Cunningham was known as Jackson back in the day and was a supurb RB for Fern Creek. I can’t believe he got out of Prison after looking at a possible death penalty. Shows how f-d up our system is – being a snitch gets you out of jail free…..

13. Ben
    11:46 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

You never know in life! Nothing has been proven, but where there is smoke? He is very stupid, if he thinks he can get away with it if true! He was one of my favorites, I hope this is not true.

14. Jenny
    12:09 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

VERY sad if true. DA is one of my favorites ever to play for UK. I wore #23 in high school not for Michael Jordan but for Derek Anderson.

15. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    12:13 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Snitches get stitches

16. Bobby Knight
    12:21 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

UK has always been the center of every scandal involving any athletes. I ran a straight ship and all my kids love me, wait, never mind you low-lifes.

17. louisville media
    12:23 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

How come the media is reporting ‘rumor’ from a murderer? Yet they wouldn’t put Karen Sypher’s story about Slick Rick because at the time, they said they wouldn’t report “rumor.”

18. Rick Pitino
    12:26 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

So what, I brought trash to lexington – at least we won championships with those guys. Hell, I’ve been bringing trash to louisville and ain’t won shit…

19. ky1der
    12:42 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Derek Anderson linked to Drug Ring Finances by Informant would have been a more appropriate headline. While understanding that this is an accusation, the word “accused” in a headline seems to carry the connotation that he has been charged by an enforcement agency of a crime. Just a thought.

20. UKGoBigBlue
    12:42 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I 100% believe this; Anderson has been into all kinds of stuff that has never come out.

21. El Dude
    12:47 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I believe this 100%…he is involved in all kinds of stuff I don’t know anything about.

22. EasyMoney
    1:12 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think this true, it could be. Inncent till proven guilty.

23. Whydoyoudothis
    1:27 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Why does KSR insist on airing the dirty laundry of former players? He is a beloved player from a championship team. A convicted murder says something about him and now KSR is contributing to running his name through the mud when there aren’t even any charges against him. Not to mention that national media read this site and could push this out to the whole country if they felt like it. Not a cool thing to do to someone we would have called a member of the ‘kentucky family’ just yesterday.

24. Hambone
    1:27 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

This is crap. We are talking about a LONG TIME AGO (over a decade) when this snitch was a free man. Derek may have done some dumb stuff but to insinuate he was the financier of a coke trafficking business is a bit extreme.

25. Real Cats Fan
    1:47 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

The Cunningham dude just walked up to that lady (a witness to another murder) while she was sitting on a park bench and shot her in cold blood. And now he will be walking the streets again. Just great!

26. come on
    2:17 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

9) I had heard the same thing from a friend in Louisville about three or four years ago but I didn’t really think it was true either. If it is that’s some crazy stuff.

27. jesco white
    2:45 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Pretty sure the Cunningham dude used to be known by Jackson at Fern Creek. All I remember was him killing someone then fleeing. It was interesting to me because he was the same age, maybe a year younger than me. I hope for D.A’s sake this isn’t true, but I heard a big story about a dope dealer and an illegal wire tap a few years back. Nobody mentioned DA doing anything bad, except that they were best friends.

28. Heard this
    4:26 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

been rumors around Louisville about this for years…..never believed them…hope they arent true

29. Kenny
    5:18 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

When the national media grab this i wonder what the headline will read ?
    “former Kentucky hoopster drug money man ” or “former NBA player drug money man ”
    I know what my guess is ….

30. Tokyo now Tampa Satchel
    5:45 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Hope DA doesn’t get a call from the DA!

31. UKlue
    9:07 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I sooo hope this is proven to be false! Count me as another HUGE fan of DA’s. One of, or possibly my very favorite Cat ever.

32. Fern Creek Alum
    10:03 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I actually went to school with Francois and always knew he was crazy. He never had a job, but I remember him driving around in a Sidekick with some gold D’s on it, including the spare on the back. I figured someone making money off of drugs would drive something better than a Sidekick. Maybe he was just getting started.

He is also the guy who shot two people at Fern Creek Park and then torched the vehicle they were in. I believe it was late 2005 when that happened. How the hell can they let this

33. Fern Creek Alum
    10:06 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

“Lunatic” out of jail?

34. Johnny Blue
    10:27 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Say it aint so DA, say it aint so.

35. Big Meech
    12:57 pm August 25, 2011 Permalink

You can’t believe someone that’s been lock up for yrs . sure they will lie to see the streets again and will hurt anyone reputation by all means to do it….. Real talk