Denny Crum has some advice for Cal

Only at Kentucky would a 7-3 start with a team of freshmen be viewed as troublesome. Yet, after last year’s march to number eight and this squad’s tumble out of the top 25, everyone seems to have some advice for Cal, including former UofL coach Denny Crum:

“If I could give him some good advice, it’d be ‘patience. They’re all young kids. They all don’t automatically mesh like last year’s team did.”

“What happened last year is not going to happen very often,” Crum said. “I don’t care who your freshmen are.”

I’m not worried about Cal, but maybe Crum’s words of wisdom would be better suited for the fans. We’ve never really done well with that whole “patience” thing.

32 Comments for Denny Crum has some advice for Cal

1. bbr
    10:34 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Why do you guys continue to bash the fans? I’m really not hearing that much complaining from the fanbase about this year’s team. Seriously, we understand there are going to be times like this. The person complaining the most about this team is Cal.

2. UK Fan
    10:37 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Could someone post Denny’s photo (in blue) on the UofL website?

3. Ashley Schafer
    10:37 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

I’ve not heard one of my fellow cat fans in person complain about this years team….last years championship helped with that….love seeing Crum in a UK sweater….

4. UK fan 2
    10:44 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Yep, patience. This team will be good, especially now that Harrow may be turning the corner. Crum looks great in UK blue!!

5. Big Blue
    10:45 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m not sure Cal needs advice from Denny Crum.

Even though we all could remember to be patient maybe Denny could give that advice personally rather than where KSR gets wind of it.

Does Denny have any advice for Rick Pitino?

bahahahahahahahahaha. Let’s hear that publicly.

6. David Elswick
    10:49 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Denny likes Cal and was appreciative that Cal included him in the exhibition last year in YUM. Cal has reached out to Denny more than Rick.

7. bsettle
    10:50 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m not sure what Denny has been watching or listening to. I am pretty sure Cal has been preaching that same message to everyone for like 2 months.

8. advice for Pitino
    10:53 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Denny’s advice for Pitino is also patience…more than 15 seconds of it. That and think of road kill and baseball when the, um, uh, moment is arriving too soon.

9. Big Blue
    10:55 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Denny Crum’s advice for Rick Pitino…

URGENCY!!!

… wait, not that kind Rick!

10. Al B. Frank
    10:58 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

1, 3: Apparently the two of you don’t regularly read the comments posted by KSR readers following each post. I would say that there are quite a few impatient fans. I’ve read statements from fans who have already written this season off, have called for Cal to be fired, have deemed Cal’s entire system a failure… not to mention those “fans” who harassed these kids into deleting their Twitter accounts. If you’re not hearing complaining from the fanbase, you’re not listening very hard. Not that I’m saying the complaining is justifiable or that I agree with the complaints – I don’t – I’m just saying that there are is a large, very vocal, percentage of the BBN that has NOT exercised patience.

11. Ridge Runner
    10:59 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Ms T, your last 2 sentences hit the nail on the proverbial head.

12. reconsider
    11:04 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

#10 I was with you until you said there “is a large, very vocal percentage of the BBN that has NOT exercised patience”. Baloney. So you read a dozen comments a day from posters on KSR (and those posts may be from IU/UofL or other fans POSING as UK fans). Just like UK FB fans, the most vocal group is often the minority. I’m not saying that UK fans wanting change in FB were the minority, just the idiots that demonized Joker so much. Anyways, the # of UK fans that are completely over the cliff, demanding Cal be fired as you say, are very small.

13. timmiller
    11:06 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

10- I must vehemently disagree. A few “naysayers” who constantly complain on a website do not a majority make! In fact I would argue that most of the complainers aren’t even UK fans but trolls from rival schools. The vast majority of the great BBN support Coach Cal and this YOUNG team! GO CATS!!

14. Ron
    11:08 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

This years team does not trouble me, it’s to be expected with a young group of kids. I will be suprised if we make any kind of run in March, this is going to happen with the way Cal recruits. No complaints here, he is trying to mold them and they are talented enough to make a run…. but will they?

15. Al B. Frank
    11:11 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

OK, I’ll concede that the percentage might be smaller than it appears. However, a large percentage of the comments on KSR, whether actual fans or trolls misrepresenting themselves as fans, are negative when speaking about this year’s team. It’s probable that the fans who do not have the negative attitude do not post as often.

16. Kevin C.
    11:13 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Cal : “If I could give Denny some good advice, it would be don’t offer advice when it’s not wanted or needed”.

I’m pretty sure Cal…more than any other coach…knows about patience.

17. Devastation INC
    11:14 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

He is right we are going to need patience. This team is talented but not special. Same goes for the 09-10 team. Shows just how special last years team was. They got it from day one. Talent is here this year and with luck we can make a run. Last year we did not need luck we just took what we wanted period.

18. craig
    11:15 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

I AGREE WITH #1. Quit being the fan police

19. asdf
    11:16 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

I was never a huge Denny Crum fan because he had a lot of talent that he did little with over the years, but one thing he was really good at was taking teams just like this Kentucky team and making them good by March. How often did Crum struggle in December only to excel in March? That was his M.O. for many seasons.

20. Rixter
    11:16 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Denny really need to teach patience to the ‘Ville fanbase. I mean, 1986? Really?

21. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    11:27 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

This advice seems about a month too late. Thanks, Denny.

22. bbr
    11:35 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Al B – I read the site and its comments almost everyday and I just don’t see any number of really serious complaints. Sure people make comments, but they have been both minor and minimal

23. Bleedingblue
    11:37 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

Denny Crum is a hell of a guy I’ve had the privilege of knowing him for years I met him at my brothers charity event. Where at the time Tubby was the coach and Denny bought an autographed Tubby ball and gave it away. He also sat at a table of older women and took all their trash from the table. He’s a great man and he knows his basketball. Altho his autographed painting is like a sure thumb in a sea of blue at my house

24. Musehobo
    11:46 am December 18, 2012 Permalink

10) I follow the message boards and I haven’t seen 1 person calling for Cal to be fired. You were making a good point till you said that. Of course there are impatient fans, but most of us are ok right now. Cal does seem more upset about it then we do. I think you’d have to admit that.

25. the Big Dog
    12:18 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

I will give Crum the benefit of the doubt and will assume that he meant this as constructive advice. In most situations, patience would be the best approach. That would probably mean that we try to work toward a 4th place conference finish and get and 8 seed lose in the second round of the NCAA and get better next year. Anybody onboard with that?

26. 8&Counting
    12:37 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

TT, Please place a disclaimer that the link will take us to a Jerry Tipton article. I have tried for years not to give him any clicks.

I appreciate the post and the insight other Coaches seem to give Cal on how to coach this team. I’m not sure the big lineup will work unless the three big bigs get used to palying together and a plan is made on running some sets to get them going in a game.

27. Joe Mama
    12:51 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Denny can’t tell Cal anything they have the same amount of titles.

28. ProspectMike
    12:52 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #23. I bleed blue, but you have to be around Denny and see what he does to get a full appreciation of the man he is.

29. GapToothDanny
    12:58 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

Watching the games this season, Ive noticed that Coach Cal has been VERY impatient (Captain Hook?). Sometimes it gets on my nerves so bad that I turn off the TV and listen on the radio. I can only imagine how much it wears on the players.

30. REALITY
    1:07 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

#27 Cal has TWO NC Titles ???? WHERE???? Try and keep up,you make us ALL look ignorant.

31. Al B. Frank
    1:14 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

24- I’ve seen it a few times on this very site, but if you haven’t seen it then it must not exist.

32. timmiller
    2:07 pm December 18, 2012 Permalink

27–Denny Crum: NCAA Title in 1980, 1986. John Calipari: NCAA Title in 2012.
    Sorry those are the facts.