DeMarcus Cousins wants a max extension from the Kings or a trade

Kings Comical Cousins Basketball

DeMarcus Cousins is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and he wants a maximum deal…or a trade. According to the Sacramento Bee, Cousins’ agent Dan Fegan wants a maximum deal for his client with the threat of a trade demand looming if a deal isn’t reached.

The Kings recently did a complete personnel overhaul, and the new majority owner, Vivek Ranadive, has said that keeping Cousins is a priority, and that he wants to make him an international superstar. The Kings also have a new coach, Michael Malone, who says that Cousins should be a “cornerstone” of the franchise, despite DeMarcus’ checkered past in Sacramento. The Kings’ new GM, Pete D’Alessandro, raved about DeMarcus recently:

“He’s an unbelievable talent. I can’t speak more highly about him as a player. I will be getting in touch with him, for sure. He’s unbelievable. He’s a very important part of what we’re looking to do.”

When asked about the Kings’ new regime, DeMarcus said had no comment. Instead, he’s focusing on his various youth basketball camps across the country, and the Team USA minicamp in July, which he says he is honored to receive an invitation to:

“It’s a huge honor just to have a chance to play for the USA team,” Cousins said. “Just go in there, play hard and make my name there. That’s all I’m trying to do.”

Make us proud, Boogie.

19 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins wants a max extension from the Kings or a trade

1. Big CUZ...
    11:48 am June 20, 2013 Permalink

Get paid or get traded (if you move teams… look at either Houston, Washington, OKC, BULLS) all of these would be great places to end up.

2. Austin
    11:58 am June 20, 2013 Permalink

The max isn’t what it used to be. Cousins is easily worth the max in today’s NBA.

3. El Pollo Loco
    12:02 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

For his sake, I hope he gets both.

4. Austin
    12:06 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Roy Hibbert, Brook Lopez, and Eric Gordon have recently gotten the max. Cousins is comparable to Hibbert and Lopez. He hasn’t had the same winning culture that Hibbert has enjoyed, but on talent, he belongs… With that said, I would have pause in signing him to a max deal if I didn’t think I could change that culture pretty quickly. I hate the Sacto roster for the most part. Cousins might end up being one of those guys that bounces around before he finds the right situation, kind of like Zach Randolph.

5. SteveStifler
    12:20 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. TT

You know, I’m just going to jump in. Could you please proof-read your posts before they’re posted? I don’t think it’s hard. You’ve been getting destroyed in the comments section and it would simply make it easier & better for everyone.

This is a simple news piece so hopefully there won’t be a lot of comments.

Boogie down now.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:28 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Steve, I’m sorry we can’t meet your high expectations. At the rate we churn out news, everyone is bound to make a mistake. If it bothers you that much, move along.

6. Austin
    12:25 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

5. It is a free site. Who cares?

7. NBA league pass
    12:32 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

As a Cavs fan, I think they should just trade him to cleveland for the #1 pick.

Seriously though, I do think Cousins needs a change in scenery. He also needs to be in a place that has a coach he respects, I don’t think he’ll get that in “sac town”.

8. Austin
    12:48 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

8. He has new ownership, and the new coach is very well respected in the coaching industry from what haveI read. If I was Sacto, I would clean house around Cousins, or go ahead and trade him and position myself to have a boat load of picks next year. I think they are several years away from being a playoff team. Maybe the new ownership and management can get through to Cousins, but I predict he will end up very frustrated with the losing. The Maloofs were the worst owners in the league for the past 6+ years.

9. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    12:55 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Best thought i have when I think of boogie to team USA. Is the thought of him fouling the shit out of everbody. Lol

10. Women Everywhere
    1:00 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Either way, I’d love to see him with more help out there. He’s been playing his balls off. heh.

11. Cal's Pal
    1:25 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

My friends tell me he’ll go to Miami after Bosh leaves next year. Don’t doubt me.

12. Joe
    1:38 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Well Mrs. Thompson “Facebook” is a free site, too. The CBS Evening News doesn’t charge me anything to watch Scott Pelley flounder, either. And yet, neither of them has a customer service policy of, “It’s free; if you don’t like it move on.”

You are presenting a product, written, to the public. Professionalism would seem to require, at a minimum, proof-reading. The cheap program I am typing this on, right now, points out my errors. I cannot believe you can’t employ something similar.

When I was a freshmen, I had the attitude, “Yeah, yeah, who cares about spelling or grammar?” But as I have gotten older I have come to see, that the style of your writing and the forms of the writing can be just as important as the content. My thinking is, “If you can’t be bothered to spell check or grammar check, then just how accurate or useful is anything else you’ve said/written?”

And as I say, the response that “If it bothers you that much, move along.” Is not exactly the response one expects from a purveyor of anything, free or otherwise. Sooner or later, with that attitude you discover that a surprising number of customers WILL “move along” leaving you with a small audience and not much of a job.

13. Love me some big Cuz
    2:04 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Love me some big Cuz

14. Takes one to know one
    2:07 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Hey #13 Joe….you were once a “freshmen”? Can you teach me how to be multiple persons? Methinks you were once a freshman.

15. Mr. Kotter says
    2:26 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#13-Unfortunately, this is not unusual. It is impossible to watch a sporting event and not hear our language getting butchered by sportscasters and color analysts. Mrs. TT merely reflects the norm and not the exception. Most Americans are poorly educated when it comes to our own language.

16. Joe
    2:26 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Good catch…but let me point out, as this is a free site if you don’t like my criticism, you can move on….Or I can just say, good catch.

17. bill
    3:05 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Bosh for cousins

18. UK Romeo
    4:48 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Send him to Cleveland and bring Lebron back. That would be a sick team. Although, there would be a lot of flopping and belly aching going on.