DeMarcus Cousins back with the Kings

After being suspended indefinitely, DeMarcus Cousins is back with the Sacramento Kings. According to Kings beat writer Jason Jones, the Kings have reinstated DeMarcus, who was back at practice this morning. He missed one practice and one game.

Cousins told USA Today that despite all the drama, he wants to continuing playing for the Kings:

“I want to be in Sacramento,” he told USA TODAY Sports.

Asked if he wanted to be in Sacramento for the long term and if he could see himself wanting to sign another contract with the team either this summer (by way of an extension) or when his rookie deal expires after next season and he would become a restricted free agent, Cousins paused for some three seconds before answering.

“I want to be in Sacramento,” he repeated. “The possibility does exist. It’s a possibility.”

Cousins spoke to head coach Keith Smart yesterday and is expected to address his teammates at some point today. He has been advised by the team to begin seeing a mental health consultant. Teammate Chuck Hayes had this to say about Cousins’ situation:

“It’s hard,” veteran Kings forward and fellow Kentucky product Chuck Hayes said. “We’ve always got that one family member who always does their own thing…and you don’t always agree with their ways. But you still love them, and they’re still family.

“Not so much of a crazy uncle, just that uncle that just kind of (makes you) raise your eyebrows, like ‘Why did he do that?’ But he’s still family here. We still have him here. We’re not writing him off. It’s just every now and then a family member needs some discipline, needs to be told what to do, and that’s what’s happening. When he’s ready to come back, we’d love to have him.”

For the time being, it looks like he’s back with his Sacramento family.

10 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins back with the Kings

1. grinch
    2:37 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

I love Cousins and he’s a great player, but it’s just a matter of time until his next knuckleheaded action. He won’t learn from this.

2. RMP
    2:38 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

I think Demarcus is better served in being in a small market because of the love he can feel from fans but I would be ecstatic to see him go to Miami. I think Lebron, Riley, and Wade could mentor him and take a lot of pressure of of him. The best fit may be OKC though. He wouldn’t have to worry about being the star, they have a fanbase that loves their team, and would appreciate him.

3. stratblend
    2:41 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

Demarcus needs to be on a team with some seasoned veterans. Potentially somewhere that he’s not expected to carry the franchise and be the “face” of the organization.

Even if that were Dallas…. Just some place to learn what being a professional athlete is all about. And get him out of the routines and bad habits in Sac-town.

4. MemphisCat
    2:42 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

The Kings are sorry, and without “Big Cuz” they are miserable. I really hope they trade him to a team like Miami that needs a center and a place where he can learn from D. Wade and LeBron.

5. BravoBigBlue
    2:58 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

I like Couisns, but it’s past time for him to take personal responsibility. His problems are of his own doing, not because of his environment.

6. UK Freshmen
    3:50 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

Born a jerk, remain a jerk. Who needs that?

7. gog8ors
    4:56 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

Just moments after the photo, Cousins had another temper tantrum and kicked the animal for no apparent reason. Then five minutes later apologized.

8. Badams
    5:05 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

I think Boogie wears his heart on his sleeve and that’s his problem. There’s no denying he is a good guy and has a big heart, but when something goes down on the court it gets to him in ways he shouldnt allow it to. He needs to learn to control those emotions and act like a professional. I know he was the #5 pick, but he is a prime example of needin to stay in college longer to become a better professional. It’s just amazing to me that Cal never had any problems like this out of him. I think he needed another year with Cal. I also agree, he needs to be around veterans. I would love it if someone like Kevin Garnette was around him on a daily basis. Send him to Boston!

9. Dee Fender
    7:34 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

#6, surely you are describing the Reindeer.

Big Cuz has always carried the weight of the world class. That’ who he is; what he does.

He reacts to elbows and punches.

Sometimes, it Smarts; some times it’s not Smart, but most times it’s retaliatory.

10. njCat
    10:48 pm December 24, 2012 Permalink

Anger management issue, pure and simple. Lots of people have this problem and learn to deal with it. Hopefully he’ll do better after getting some professional help.