Demarcus Cousins And The Special Olympics

For those of you that didn’t know, I spent a lot of the last year working with kids with special needs.  With that, I learned how great of a program the Special Olympics can be for both those participating and their families.  That’s why I think it’s great to see Demarcus Cousins helping SOKY raise funds so they can continue to do the things they do so well.

But – realistically – as far as raffles go this one seems to be pretty solid.  The tickets are $50, and you can win upwards of $1,000 all the way up to a new house.  Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.  Plus you’ll be helping out a program that absolutely deserves it.  If you’d like to learn about it (the raffle or the program,) you can read more on their website.

Seriously folks, you have no idea the impact you can make.

(h/t to Anthony Wireman for picking up on this story.)

Article written by Will Lentz

8 Comments for Demarcus Cousins And The Special Olympics

1. mocha
    11:46 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Nice story for sure.

2. Sheeeeiiit
    12:32 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

This is absolutely awesome! I have a four year old son who is autistic. He will compete in sports too. He is big and strong, just different. It’s great that he will have an option if he has problems with regular sports at school. Kids with special needs are just like anyone else when it comes to competing. They want to win and they like to play. They have talent too. My son just gets upset when things don’t go right. I can see him tackling the quarterback after the play for a bad pass. Stuff like that may keep him from being on a team because they don’t allow for those issues. So it’s nice to see guys like cousins promote another option. It would be great if more people got involved. These kids have such pure souls and they don’t judge. I try do give them equal respect and not judge them either. Thanks Will for posting this!

3. SeattleCat
    12:52 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Louisville>UK – there is a reason your team will never be successful, it starts with your lack of class from the fans and athletes and especially coaches. You just earned yourself a special place in He**. Oh wait you will be there for the next 20 years as UK owns you. Welcome to 2nd place in Kentucky! Oh wait again, your 3rd place in basketball this year!!!

Great job Boogie, they keep underestimating how big your heart is as big as your game!

4. duhville cat
    1:00 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

3) = typical classless Pigeon.

5. Will Lentz
    1:23 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Had to delete a Louisville troll on a thread like this. Really guys? Do you have nothing better to do than troll KSR on a beautiful Sunday like today?

Anyways. 2.) I haven’t personally coached any kids with autism, but I have heard that swimming can be a really good sport for those with Autism to get into. It still has the team atmosphere, but for the most part, your success is dependent on what you put into it (in other words, no tackling the quarterback, ha.) I worked with a child with autism last year, and you’re right – some of the neatest kids you will meet.

6. John Wilmhoff
    3:44 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Just bought my raffle ticket. What a great deal! Great cause and a great raffle. Kudos to Boogie and Will both. You have no idea how much additional money will be raised by Boogie’s involvement and by Will posting on KSR. I, for one, would have known nothing about this otherwise. Thanks guys.

7. Shields Eyes
    5:39 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Live near the house…take the $150000.

8. Margaret
    9:27 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

My son Morgan is in this commercial with Demarcus and I would just like to say thank you Demarcus. You really don’t know what you being there meant to those kids. Demarcus is such a nice young man. Please buy a raffle ticket this house is beautiful and it is for a good cause.