Demarcus Cousins and Sean Elliott Have a Conversation

If there is one thing we know about Demarcus Cousins, it is that there is never a dull moment. The latest story involves a confrontation with San Antonio Spurs announcer Sean Elliott. According to a San Antonio newspaper blog, Cousins scored twice on Tim Duncan and then drew a foul, proceeding to talk a bit of trash. Duncan then did what many great players do and responded by going down the court and scoring on three straight possessions. Spurs’ announcer Sean Elliott then said this:

“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said on the air. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclub should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”

After the game, Cousins confronted Elliott on the court, while still dressed in his uniform. The conversation was described as “animated” but nothing physical occurred. Elliott ended up walking away from Cousins and a Spurs source said that he could not hear what was being said. This is of course making national NBA news (likely because it is a slow NBA Sunday), and because it involves Demarcus. Having not been there, and only reading the Spurs side of the story, it is hard to comment on what really happened. I do think that Demarcus, who plays with passion unlike almost anyone else I have seen, is the kind of person that due to his reputation, has stories about nothing turn into something when they involve him. Reputations follow you, both deserved and undeserved, and as I have learned, once attached they are hard to ever shake.

I love Demarcus and when given the choice, I always choose Team Boogie. His heart is good and I genuinely think he means well, even when his actions could improve. If nothing else, he will always keep it interesting.

Article written by Matt Jones

31 Comments for Demarcus Cousins and Sean Elliott Have a Conversation

1. Will Totten
    4:46 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Sounds to me like Boogie didn’t like Elliott talking about him like that and approached him about it, and Elliott ended up walking away mid-conversation. Why is that such a bad thing? At least Boogie was man enough to say something to his face instead of spouting off to the media like a lot of players do

2. Jason
    4:50 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I love KSR. just pointing that out. However, the way you phrase these stories and make them seem like they are so important and national news is getting a little ridiculous. It’s basketball. I love boogie too but he talked trash. Oh well. You don’t need to make your post seem so tragic and BREAKING NEWS like. C’mon, step the game up and add the “ridiculousness” that makes KSR what it is. Chill

3. Matt Jones
    4:53 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#2 I have no idea what you are talking about…it is national news on NBA sites…and I didnt say it was important…it is one of 15 posts today. I didnt call it “Breaking News”….I wrote a post…as have many other sites

4. Paper Tigers
    4:54 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Duncan doesn’t talk trash because he is too busy with that stupid look on his face like he has ‘t committed a foul. Accordig to his facial expression, he has never fouled anyone.

5. Biggass Hungguy
    5:02 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Eric Bledsoe looked so ridiculous with a headband.

6. dirtydutchmantel
    5:02 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Cousins could learn from Tim Duncan. Being humble is better than people thinking you are a thug. Duncan is one of the best of all times and has more rings than cuz will likely have. I Watched that game. Duncan made him look foolish.

7. True Blue
    5:03 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

How would Boogie have know what the guy said on the radio about him immediately after the game? Correct me please if I’m wrong, but seems like the radio guy would’ve had to approach him after the game.

8. Cats in the NBA
    5:14 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

2.) Unless this post has been edited to take out the ‘BREAKING NEWS’ parts by the time I wrote this comment… WTF are you talking about? Chill, yourself.

I always appreciate a good Boogie story. Keep ’em coming, KSR.

9. BPsycho
    5:17 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#2 oO yeah…. chill, “he” needs to chill. yeah.. sarcasm…

Elliot was just sticking up for his old teammate, but the game is played on the court. You can return trash talk with trash talk or you can return it with your play. Which is what Tim Duncan did.

If you say something about Demarcus Cousins, best expect to back it up when he ask you about it later.

10. Adam
    5:22 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

1. I don’t see how simply reporting a story is handling it as “Breaking News,” Matt’s doing his job by reporting the news.

2. I don’t understand how Boogie could have heard a comment on the radio while he was on the floor.

11. bottom line
    5:25 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

You should not go your whole life being a punk. Hopefully, cuz will mature at some point.

12. Lori M
    5:30 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Boogie has the reputation because he has earned it. He’s still a kid but needs to grow up. KSR needs to stop defending all his childish actions.

13. trey_1
    5:31 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

the video i saw was of reporters asking DeMarcus about the situation. DC said him and Duncan were playfully talking trash and even Tim was joking and having a good time with it. DC also said he had the up most respect for one of the best in the game

14. OwensboroCatFan
    5:37 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I loved watching boogie play at UK. He helped lead the way to where we are today. That being said I have a hard time watching him play anymore. Its a bipolar issue or something that he needs help to work on. I was watching him play against Joakim Noah(Punk) and the Bulls. Boogie got a Quick Technical and kept flailing his arms and pouting when he didn’t get his way. I just cant watch it anymore.

15. crazycatfan
    5:37 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Elliot is the one who needs to chill!!! Enough said …

16. James K
    5:42 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Might as well not worry about it, guys. DeMarcus is going to keep doing things like this. In the end, he’ll be looked at for what he is — a colorful personality that makes questionable judgment calls during his playing days. Barkley was like this, too. I think they’re very similar.

17. Bobbum man
    5:48 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Boogies the man! I don’t care what he does

18. BPsycho
    5:48 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#14 lol

19. UK Freshmen
    5:50 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

He’s an idiot who will never win or grow up.

20. Foot Stabber
    5:55 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Y’all better watch out! Ive been planning a good ol foot-stabbing and if all goes well,this one will be EPIC! (its going to be at the library)

21. Twenty first place
    6:20 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

If we hire David Cutcliffe and his Grippo potato chips.. That’s a total injustice to Joker… I was all for firing Joker if we were going to try and hire a real home run of a football coach.. You think Demarcus Cousins is bi-polar???????
    With Cutcliffe your dealing with a minimum tri polar or quad polar…
    This guys an idiot!

22. Paper Tigers
    6:22 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

13 – i bet ksr doesn’t issue an edit to the story. They won’t even look at that video because it doesn’t support this story. Lazy journalism at its finest

23. Blue light special
    6:22 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Quintuplet polar = cutcliffe

24. Funky Monkey
    6:25 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

DC needs to realize the more he gets a rep like this the more people will try to get under his skin and push his buttons,… thus the need to extra chill.

25. georgetownluke
    6:42 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Honestly Cousins is one of those players a person can love when they play for the team that person pulls for. If they play against your team then they are a “thug”.

26. bluefan
    7:18 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Come on, #2. Many of us love a good Boogie Cousins story. Automatic ridiculousness! Love it.

27. Truth
    8:06 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

If he played for da ville, most people out in the state would call cousins something that rhymes with jigaboo.

28. how about
    8:44 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

DeMarcus is an upfront man. No behind the back talk. If the Sanantonio guy had said something negative or positive and DeMarcus hears about it, sees the guy while still in the arena and approaches him what the hell is bad about that? Better to spout off to the press surrounded by teamates in the locker room? Provide a foroum for misquotes and imbellishment? Go away pencil necks.
    I have not seen the game, which is the only way to keep the incident in question in perspective.
    My,may be biased view, is with DeMarcus.
    #27. That type of vomit, even if you were trying to be, what could you possibly be?, should stick in anyones throat and burn the evil out of mind and speach

29. Doohie
    9:21 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Cousins is a good player and likely a good intentioned person. However, he finds trouble and trouble finds him. Someone who is always on the company of trouble should look on the mirror. I don’t know why he is constantly defended. He needs to modify his behavior if he wants to be a great player and good team mate.

30. chad holbrook
    9:40 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I really miss the days when announcers would talk about the game. ESPN refuses to cover the game in front of them. So much of the game is spent talking about players at other schools, the high school coaches of players not in this game or the hall-of-fame coach from NC/Duke/etc. I don’t mind some color but TELL ME WHY THE PLAY WAS STOPPED AND COVER THE %*#$*$)#(ING GAME. I don’t know what happened but why was this guy involved? He should shut up and call the game: was that a foul? out of bounds? did someone get hurt? We will never know because YOU WON’T TELL US?!?!?!

31. R. C. T. Womack
    1:21 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

Boogie is a great player. Lots of players talk trash on the court. MJ and Kobe are two of the biggest trash talkers in the history of basketball and they are arguably the two best players of all time. Trash talk is part of the game and so is competition. The trouble that I have with Cousins is that he takes the media way too seriously. I mean, who really cares what a worthless radio commentator has to say about you while you’re playing the game. He was the Spurs’ in house announcer and he is obviously going to be biased just like every other in house announcer in the NBA. So Boogie shouldn’t have even worried about what he had to say, much less took it to heart like he did. He is going to continue to grow. Remember, the kid is just now turning 21. Let him mature. He won’t be like this forever. Call me crazy but I bet he is a hall of famer down the road.