Dear Indiana Fans Complaining About Trey Lyles…

Hold on, hold on. That says Indiana and not Illinois, right?

I think so, let me put my glasses on…

Shut up. And meet Eric Gordon.

This NBA star was set to wear orange and play for Bruce Weber at Illinois before Kelvin Sampson showed up at IU, cell-phone in hand. While Eric is a born-and-raised Indiana product, he chose to take is services elsewhere and committed to a neighboring state’s team. And who could blame him — Mike Davis had run the program into a nice hole (little did Hoosier-nation known that Kelvin would one-up him in a big way).

Suddenly, after weeks of rumors, Eric Gordon backs out of his commitment. He decided he’d prefer to play for a coach with a spotless dirty slightly piebald record. Gordon switched his commitment to Indiana, leaving the Illini reeling at a recruit who could have kept Weber’s amazing run with his nearly-undefeated 2005 team intact. Instead, Weber’s program hit a slump with his star-prospect elsewhere.

The point here is simple — you Indiana fans need to realize you live in a glass house before you start tossing all those boulders our way again. It takes a quick look back to your last great player to realize that Indiana did the exact same thing you are accusing Calipari of right now. In fact, you guys (IU fans) were so proud of stealing Eric Gordon that you got a nice loud chant going when you played Illinois.

So before you start: stop.

Crean and Cal are fairly cool, so I don’t think UK would stoke that fire too hard, especially with the ordeal regarding the neutral site game recently. Also, it is best for the kid to hear out all his option before being legally obligated and stuck.

I’m not going to say I know what has happened in the Trey Lyles recruitment, but if there was contact, you Hoosier fans aren’t allowed to come after us with pitchforks. Or with steel-toed boots if you decide to try and curb-stomp our fans and players again in Assembly Hall or pour beer on us in Bloomington bars.

Article written by Chris Thomas

14 Comments for Dear Indiana Fans Complaining About Trey Lyles…

1. Peeg's IU hoops forum
    5:18 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

But that was different because WE did it.

2. NBA_JAM
    5:21 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I don’t worry about Cry U

3. barn
    5:23 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

there’s that smokin’ hot redhead again in the snorgtees ad. burn baby, burn

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:31 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Curb stomp? Like, an actual curb stomp was attempted? How did I miss that….

5. bmt22033
    5:56 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Let me first say that I doubt that UK was recruiting Trey Lyles after he committed to IU. But on the off chance that they did, then it does make Cal look pretty bad because he has previously said that once a kid commits, he doesn’t pursue them anymore. I wish I could recall when he said it or who he was talking to but it was in reference to a question about TJ, I believe.

6. bmt22033
    5:57 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Found it! It was on the Dan Patrick show.

7. TheDecker
    6:00 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Well said Mr. Thomas, well said.

8. UKGrad04
    8:20 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I’m nitpicking, I know, but as a writer I can’t stand when I see a word like “piebald” crowbarred into an otherwise really good piece. So, I’m not being negative or coming down on you, only offering you this piece of advice(from Strunk & White): Don’t use a twenty dollar word when there’s a ten-center handy. This is a sentence etched into the brain of anyone who makes a living as a writer. In other words, put the thesaurus down(and avoid: highlight–right click–synonyms as well)and use the first word that comes to mind, especially when you’re not 100% on what the word means. Piebald is typically used in reference to animals–usually horses, which is the only reason I knew what it meant. You wouldn’t say Kelvin Sampson had a brindle record, right–or a rosette record? Then he can’t have a piebald one either. Again, I only aim to help. Keep up the good work.

9. GoBigBlue
    8:39 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Why is it that we say Indiana is obsessed with us yet there seems to be an Indiana story on here every day?

10. Me03
    9:12 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

9) It even feels better just acting like you are a UK fan! Kinda tingles.

11. snarkster
    9:47 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Huck the Foosiers!

12. GoBigBlue
    9:11 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Ha! You caught me!

13. ChicagoSucks
    10:05 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Let me also add that Gordon had nothing to do with the Illwhini sucking.

14. UKboiler
    2:48 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

It is karma because IU laughed when Derek Willis opened up his recruiting and switched to UK