DeAndre Daniels seeking financial aid at KU?

deandredaniels

All signs are pointing towards Lawrence, Kansas for DeAndre Daniels.  But we here at KSR don’t like signs, or pointing, and we certainly don’t like Lawrence, Kansas. However, the latest rumor comes from a desk at Yahoo! so we’ll at least acknowledge it. (It’s the least we can do for the company that brought us free online card games.) Yahoo Rivals’ Jerry Meyer says DeAndre Daniels is likely waiting on non-athletic financial aid paperwork to go through before becoming a Jayhawk. Kansas is all out of basketball scholarships this season so Daniels would need a Pell Grant or an academic scholarship in order to attend Kansas this semester. Tuition, books, room and board, and hanging out with Josh Selby isn’t cheap, ya know.

Article written by Drew Franklin

109 Comments for DeAndre Daniels seeking financial aid at KU?

1. JerryTipton
    12:02 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

TOLD YA!

2. Fine
    12:03 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I know everyone always say this when we miss on a recruit, but I am happy. We don’t need him and I want Trevor Lacey.

3. bluetooth
    12:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

rather have lacey anyway

4. stringmusic
    12:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

C’mon Kansas, just have Selby’s agent front Daniels some cash and then you can take out of his scholarship later.

5. Big Blue 66
    12:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

2. im with you, but just rather see him at murray state of somewhere that can put other kids with him like KU

6. Job
    12:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Maybe Selby can hook him up with an agent so he can get paid like Selby does. Its not like the NCAA will punish him to severely!

7. duhville cat
    12:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Free Enes!!!

8. Al's IndiCats
    12:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Oh well, if that’s what he wants…..he’ll just regret it later!

9. Big Blue 66
    12:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

ooops that canT put other kids with him

10. Zain
    12:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Lacey and Daniels are not mutually exclusive.. we can sign both.. we have enough scholarships.. Knight and Jones are gone. Anyone who doubts that can refer to D. Orton

11. Al's IndiCats
    12:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Or maybe, just MAYBE Selby can cut him a check

12. Job
    12:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

You would think the NCAA would punish a player for them accepting money more severly than a players whos parents accept money like kanter but guess not!

13. catinhat
    12:09 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

So no streaming video of the Door in Indianapolis, I guess. I’m disappointed in the BBN up in Indy for not pulling it off.

If you Google “the door memphis”, the top hit is still the page for streaming news local memphis channel 13. Crazy.

14. catinhat
    12:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

For old times sake, watch this and you instantly remember all the cool feelings of Calipari picking UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPfPycfQ1k

15. shadowboxer
    12:12 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I am disappointed in Kansas. Pell grants? What happened to their creative financing of players like Selby? Someone there has lost their imagination. How about a reverse mortgage on his parents’ house or something? C’mon KU, you are better than this. Pell grants? That is so boring.

16. JerryTipton
    12:13 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Zain, pay attention… its bad news, bad news… buuahhHHAHAHAHAHAH!

17. let it go
    12:14 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

seriously, let’s ignore DD… It’s over, he wants KU.. Why waste more time talking about him? It’s embarrassing.

18. Enes
    12:17 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure there’s plenty of $$$$ available out there in the wheat state or whatever. Carmelo’s agent may be passing through.

19. mjj2k+
    12:18 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Daniels = Best player in Kansas’s class.
    Daniels = 5th best player in UK’s class.

So big frickin’ whoop.

20. RidgeRunner
    12:18 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Ummmm, a large part of me if not all…..really don’t care that much. Yeah, it would of been good to get him…but ehhhh. so be it.

21. BigBlueFan31
    12:25 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Chalk (no pun intended) this up to the “who cares?” department!!! Next…

22. Typical UK Fan
    12:25 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

We didn’t want him anyway Everybody cheats but us.

23. Lincoln Park
    12:27 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Danny Manning’s father must be behind this.

24. J. Speed
    12:27 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Good…we are just fine without him…now that that is just about over…FREE ENES!! Or not, but just get it over with…I mean DAAAAAYUM!

25. Just saying
    12:27 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I posted this in the comments section yesterday, this site is SLOW

26. BBQCardinalSandwich
    12:29 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

20. Probably not if he doesn’t play this year.

27. hmmm
    12:29 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Let me get this straight, Daniels would rather go to KU where he has to PAY tuition, than come to UK where its free. And dont give the he wont have playing time next year, KUs class is likely to end up #3 in the country and he’s gonna be playing behind juniors and seniors there

28. How about this
    12:30 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Couldn’t he be just filling out the paper work in CASE he chooses Kansas? The financial aid forms have to be filled out by a specific date so maybe the Kansas staff recommended that fill them out, just in case. If this is not the reason, why wouldn’t he just announce he’s going there?

29. catinhat
    12:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

26 – mine too. And I’ll refresh but it won’t show updated comments, it will keep showing the same ones over and over. I have to close Explorer(or Chrome) and come back after 5 minutes or so, to get it to refresh new comments.

Free the New Server.

30. Blue Virus
    12:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

somethings rotten in denmark

31. Just saying
    12:32 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Before anyone says any crap…

Just saying Says:
    January 6th, 2011 at 7:20 pm
    Jerry Meyers of Rivals says this about Daniels….

How can Deandre Daniels go to Kansas in January when they have no scholarship to give him (I checked)? And they can’t have one guy give up his scholarship to him, it’s in the rules.

You are correct that Kansas doesn’t have any available scholarships this year. Daniels will attend Kansas this semester without an athletic scholarship and then will receive a scholarship when they open up for next year.

Part of the hang-up in his recruiting process has been the wait for certain non-athletic financial aid paperwork to go through

32. RidgeRunner
    12:35 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Why would he pick KU over UK?

There’s a chance that we (UK, BBN, Cal’s style, success, etc) intimidate him or the fact that KU has promised him something shall we say…umm, we at UK would not. hmmmm.

33. ransmith
    12:35 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I think it is time to move on, actually is past that time. Talented young man who would be a big addition to any program who struggled to say no to UK, but just could not say yes either. Kansas certainly has a strong recruiter in Bill Self, and they have a fine program. Wish them the best together, now us move on!

34. Laker Cat 18
    12:36 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Listening to the podcast of yesterday’s radio show, I think Matt has a problem saying, “My Man,” repeatedly. We’ve all got a little OCD to deal with. Love the show though guys.

35. RidgeRunner
    12:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Site issues? Is this the part where someone should say…DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES —-

36. Big Blue 66
    12:46 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

34. well said

37. Typical UK Fan
    12:46 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

38. Just saying
    12:47 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

20. He’s basically walking-on at KU, so no it would not affect their scholly situation at all

39. For the love of God...
    12:47 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

can we stop w the conspiracy theories about KU promising him stuff, etc? Maybe he just likes it better there. Good for him. Let’s move on and focus on the guys we do have. Geez.

40. Just saying
    12:48 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

38. Every one said he was going to Kansas, the news about needing to wait for financial aid, was what Im talking about, but thanks though

41. Doubting Thomas
    12:48 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Like I’ve always said, if they don’t want to play here, then we don’t want them. Coach is recruiting the right players and gets the ones he really wants. This guy can’t hurt us either way it goes.

42. For the love of Allah, Buddha, or whoever...
    12:49 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

43. LOL
    12:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

So he’d rather walk-on at Kansas than be on a full ride with UK? If UK added Kanter, and Daniels (if he’d play this year) UK would have been top 2-3 in the country and a lock for the FF, but instead he’d rather sit on KUs bench, and pay tuition. LMAO

So Cal lost another top recruit, I guess he’s not unbeatable on the recruiting trail. Oh yea, for all those saying KU must have paid him…grow up!!

44. Law of averages
    12:56 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

With the radio show doing so well something had to give in the universe..and its the website. Its falling faster then black birds in Arkansas. Larry Vaught could of navigated his way to Jerry Meyer faster then the Daniels info went up. Oh wait.. they were probably checking sources..*pause

45. Rock Chalk
    12:56 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

First Selby, then Daniels…next up Perry Ellis. Not only does KU beat UKs @ss head to head, Self is kicking Cals @ss on the recruiting trail too. You might steal a recruit from Pitino, but when you Kansas and Bill Self on the list just go ahead and back off. save some face. Have fun watching us in the final four AGAIN this year.

46. coach k
    12:57 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Can I sit on Roy Williams face?

47. Frank Drebin
    12:58 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Why cant we comment on the Kanter section above?

48. coach k
    12:59 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

U mean like the final 4 u went to last yr? Oh yeah u pretenders lost in the second round. Excuse me.

49. Northern illinois
    1:01 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

You jerkhawk morons couldn’t even beat us in the second round. Lmao

50. RidgeRunner
    1:02 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

48…Yeah, I was gonna say…Damn Matt, let us mour a couple days first before marketing sh^t…LOL

51. RidgeRunner
    1:03 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

mourn…^

52. DerbyDemon
    1:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Lord, love a duck. I hate the constant banter about “how can he pick KU over UK?” It’s very easy; he did; it’s over; move on for chrissakes. Not every recruit wants to come to UK and I’m fine with that. We’re already pretty well stocked and with the class coming in next year, we don’t need him.

53. Andrew
    1:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Our class is already loaded next season. This is just a recruit who is coming early to sit the bench. We have 3 of the top six and our 4th is a 6’11 player who has Bird range and his fade… And he is moving up too.

54. catinhat
    1:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Site is acting all funky. Football post is up, no comments, then gone . . . then I can’t get in . . . every time it jams up I think “ENES NEWS IS OUT”. I guess we’re all just jamming the refresh today since it’s down to crunch time.

For pete’s sake, KSR, upgrade already. I know a guy that can help you out if you want, virtualize your servers, manage it remotely for you.

55. RidgeRunner
    1:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

How could he pick KU over UK? MUHAHAHA

-sorry, so many of ya having heart attacks and stuff made me do it.

56. RidgeRunner
    1:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

55…I hear ya!

57. RidgeRunner
    1:08 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

If our font gets any smaller…gonna need a microscope to see it. Yeah, technical difficulties indeed.

58. Cal Purnell here
    1:12 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

The views and opinions expressed on this site and the images contained herein do not necessarily reflect those of cn|2 or Insight Communications.

59. Larry Vaught
    1:17 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#45 Quoted for the truth

60. tdogg4033011
    1:18 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

55) I hear ya too, I already read the football post … lol

61. LOL
    1:20 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I apologize for my comment #44. Clearly the only reason he is picking KU over UK is because he knows he will be too low on the totem pole at UK next year. And I’m sorry for telling people to grow up…me posting on a site of a team that I’m extremely jealous of is the biggest case of immaturity here. Good gravy, I’m such a loser.

62. Al's IndiCats
    1:22 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

46…who did you all lose to last year? Little sisters IN the woods? also by the way who really kicked your asses severly in the regualr season, that’s right Travis Ford, who’s an Alumni of UK. My guess is DD likes to see the surrounding states he plays for. because besides Indiana, Kansas is the only other state you can sit on the hood of your car and see all four boardering states it’s so damn flat.
    I have no qualms about his wanting to go there, as a matter of fact I wish him nothing but the best, until, or if you all play the Cats.
    LMAO I still wonder why all these trolls absolutly love to come in here. My guess it’s because their site is so boring. Welcome one and welcome all to the site of the GREATEST place on earth for Collegent Basketball. HOME OF YOUR KENTUCKY WILDCATS!

63. tdogg4033011
    1:24 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

63) PREACH ON !!!!!

64. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    1:27 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

it’s 5:00 somewhere. free enes

65. shadowboxer
    1:28 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

46 – Seen our recruiting class next year? Yeah, Self sure is beating the snot out of Cal. Go chop some wheat

66. catfan55
    1:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I think we should just get used to the fact that kanter won’t be playing at UK,I think it’s wrong,but there’s nothing more to be done,unless Kanter’s parents sue the ncaa which I wouldn’t blame them,how can they justify letting selby pay back the money he got and not Kanters parents.

67. ThankfulCat
    1:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#46 Northern Iowa

nuff said

68. Hello
    1:35 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Bucknell ring a bell Mr. Jaycrap?

69. Runnin'Ramel
    1:36 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Enes will not play.

70. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    1:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#70 I agree. I just wish it was over

71. BlueCapper
    1:40 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

39) Then what’s stopping Kanter from doing the same thing?

72. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    1:42 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Seth Davis Tweeted that the University of Kentucky will find out about Enes Kanter’s eligibility as early as today and by Monday at the latest.

Davis’ Tweets:

Source indicates UK is braced to hear ruling on Kanter’s appeal as early as today, by Monday at latest. Appeal heard via teleconf yesterday.

Everyone is guessing at this point, but it’s clear Kentucky is not optimistic about Kanter’s prospects. Neither am I. There’s always hope.

73. Urincatland
    1:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

GOOD, let him go to Kansas.. We will be their ass next year when we play them… Go Big Blue!!

74. Rock Choke
    1:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Uh….yeah.

75. R Pitino
    1:46 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

How can we be talking about Daniels when Karen Sypher’s sentencing is only eleven days away?

76. gocats
    1:48 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I thought if a player was recruited then they would not be eligibe for academic scholorships.

77. Bundy
    1:51 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

46- Really? Self is beating Cal’s a$$ in recruiting? Check out recruiting classes much do ya?…

78. Phat Jones
    1:54 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Selby could just loan him his $7,500

79. Billy Gillispie
    2:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

He could sell those earrings and buy some books and maybe have enough left over to buy some pop tarts to eat.

80. JEREMY
    2:16 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

And selby didn’t hav to pay the money back, kansas is footing the bill. And he pays it back when he can!!! Amazing work NCAA!!!

81. Birmingham City Schools
    2:17 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

its awesome how the uk fanbase remembers kansas losses(northern iowa), and not its wins (cals memphis) national championship, in the only year all four #1 seeds advanced to final four. kansas is gonna toy with uks high school team next year to open the season.

82. JEREMY
    2:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Hey 46 sock rock! First off check the recruitn class rankings for the past 3 or 4 years! Second of all, you all didn’t make any final four i remember last year!! So what in the hell are you smoking??? Go back to whatever you were doing before you got on the UK board!!!

83. The Hoff
    2:21 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Well if his not with us, he is against us! Free Enes!

84. Ronnie
    2:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Speaking of choke – West Virgina anyone?? UK got beat by that kid from the jersey shore.

85. Rich
    2:35 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

All I have to say about Kansas is Bucknell, Bradley, and Northern Iowa. Self teams usually choke. Enough said…

86. Ronnie
    2:36 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I admit being a tard fan like me is tough. I follow a ghetto commuter school which is OWNED by UK in basketball and football. But at least our coach does the nasty on restaurant tables. L YES

87. LOL
    2:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

For the out of work morons that cant read, Im talking about Head to head recruiting with Self.Dont want to admit Cal went hard after selby? Fine dont. Dont want to admit Cal went hard after Daniels? Fine dont. I bet you wont admit Cal went hard after Ellis (Cal was in Witchita this week) when he comes to KU.

For those that think KU is afraid of UK on the court, look at our team TODAY plus the recruiting calss coming in. You entire team of freshman playing us in November?? Please we cant wait!! Maybe by MArch it would be a game, but November?? hahahahaha

88. LOL
    2:41 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

So we lost to Northern Iowa, UK went 0-30 against WVU and we both watched the FF on TV, remember? Or is the Elite 8 the standard you guys set?

Oh yea someone remind me again who beat Cals @$$ in the National CHAMPIONSHIP game in 2008?? I cant seem to remember

89. Just saying
    2:43 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Am I wrong? UK doesnt play Kansas next year do they? I thought we played Duke next year in MSG

90. wildwilly
    2:45 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s funny how UK fan says they want Lacey more the Daniels now. Daniels is #9 on rivals and lacey is #34. The truth is you wanted them both and now have lost Selby and Daniels in back to back years to KU.

91. Just saying
    2:49 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

83. KU has been to THREE final fours (2002 and 2003) and won a NC (2003)since UK went in 1998.

Wait, wait, wait here it comes!!! In 1942 we were……

92. the most interesting fan in the world
    2:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

So what happens if Daniels does not get a Pell Grant? I know he cant afford to pay tuition, so does KU forgive it? HOw does that work?

93. peyt
    2:54 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Speaking of Selby… so the money he had to repay for the “excesive benefits” came out of his scholorship check, almost $6000. I’m assuming he’ll still get to go to class so his tuition is paid. He can’t study without books! Gotta have a place to stay and food to eat, so room & board are paid. So in essence Kansas, and probably other schools, are paying student-athletes and calling it a “scholorship”!? Whether they get an extra $6000 a year or more, that can be some serious cash. $24K for 4 years! Doesn’t that sounds like an excessive benefit?

94. LOL
    2:56 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

92. I think you meant 2008 for the NC, but point well taken. Dont worry “winningest, blah blah blah”. Were only 25 games behind you in the overall total and in the last 10 years KU is BY FAR the superior program. Dont like it? I wouldnt either if I were you.

PS Perry Ellis is coming to KU too. Get used to it!! Self might as well tell you who were recruiting in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Just so Cal can know to look elsewhere

95. Crush little red
    3:02 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Knight vs Selby…hmmm, lets see a kid with a 4.0 GPA or one with LOTS of baggage. Tough choice for Cal. Glad he went with BK.

96. LOL
    3:02 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

94. Its still not as much as that Turkish professional you want so badly to be freed. $33,000 for one year? Played as a professional for 36 minutes?? LMAO

People say he turned down 1.6million to go to UK, funny thing is he wanted to go to UWash, but they backed off so UK was his SECOND choice.

But the way the day’s going you guys should be getting used to it

97. Just saying
    3:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Daniels is going to KU…yawn!

98. Red
    3:17 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

KU and UK are both great programs. As a KU fan, I’m happy that it looks like DD will be coming to Lawrence, but UK’s got a great class coming in too. Both teams should be really good again next year. Good luck Cats and we’ll see you in March!

99. RidgeRunner
    3:21 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

99…classy dude. Will give ya that.

100. harrydangler00
    3:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

shadowboxer-

Wasn’t it UK that was sending Fed Ex packages full of cash to players during the Sutton era? Maybe Selby should get some pointers on how to get paid. For a program that has been caught cheating several times should you be pointing any fingers. Coach Cal seems to be the perfect fit.

101. dougie
    3:47 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

kige

102. Crush little red
    3:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Actually it was Emory and it was $1,000 stuffed inside of a video tape. Not exactly packages full of cash, but don’t let facts get in the way.

103. The Hoff
    4:24 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

101, 95. Why don’t you come back when you have 7 banners.

104. Buzzard
    4:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

When will tickets be availabe for the UK vs KansASS game in NY in Nov. I plan on being there

105. peyt
    5:46 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

97. The day when UK payed their players has long passed! We’re so good pros want to play for UK. But the difference is we don’t pay them, professional teams do. Which sucks for Kanter. But my guess is that KU will feel that wonderful breathe of the NCAA on their necks at some point soon. Oh wait, didn’t KU just get off probation and aren’t they feeling the heat from a ticket scandal? Just seems like a charge of “not promoting an atmosphere of compliance” and “lack of institutional control” is just over the horizon. LOL!

106. KUBabe
    7:55 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

You guys are funny. Best comedy all day. Thanks. Be glad you didn’t get Enes, so you won’t have to vacate your wins.

107. sonofdaxjones
    8:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Just a bunch of tards from tardville paying for another player. Look no further than Lew Perkins and the tards he left behind. Frank Martin recruits better players than this tard anyway.

108. Zissou
    1:41 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

96., Your funny, typical “ah we didn’t want him”. Of course you don’t need one of the top players in the class.

109. Zissou
    1:43 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

106, actually KU just got over a National Championship and is knocking on the door of another one.