Dealing With the Card Reign of Terror

jurich

If you let yourself think about it for too long, then it really starts to get depressing. This has without question, been the Year of the Cardinal in College Athletics. The run that the UL Athletic Department is on right now is, if not unprecedented, certainly unbelievably rare. In the past school year, the Cards have won the Sugar Bowl, made the Title game in both the mens’ and womens’ NCAA basketball Tournament and found a way to rise from the conference realignment grave and join the ACC, leaving behind the scrap heap of what was once the Big East. All the while, doing it led by the arrogant “take no prisoners” approach of their Athletic Director, Tom Jurich, who has showcased that the ends can justify the means when it comes to winning on a big-time college athletics scale. One would think that karma would over take an individual that has used his bullying methods to not only run roughshod on his sporting opponents, but also government officials, media members and generally anyone who dares to question the Sainthood of Tom. With a paranoia that hasn’t been seen since the final days of the Politburo (and a similar hairstyle), Jurich has tried to eliminate all enemies of the Birds, and rather than be punished for his ways, he has been rewarded with as successful a year as one can imagine.

Watching it from the land of Blue can be difficult to stomach. If you are like me, this past week has been a bit more than a Kentucky fan should reasonably be expected to handle. Louisville friend of mine often say to me, “you are just jealous!” and at least for this week, they are right. While I would never want to actually be a Cardinal fan (or have to use the phrase #L1C4 in anything but a mocking tone), this week has been hard not to envy. While we are coming off a national title, seem likely to be the favorite for one next year, have confidence in our football program for the first time in ages, have major renovations coming to Commonwealth Stadium, have a top ten Women’s basketball program and as healthy an overall Athletic Department as we have ever had in Lexington, one cannot help but be take a long, lingering look at what is taking place in the Red part of the state. It would be enough if we just had to simply watch the winning (this UL men’s team is the best in the country and deserves to win the national title), but we have also been forced to accept a fawning over all things Louisville that is more than a sane man should have to bear.

Don’t get me wrong. I was genuinely moved by what I saw last weekend, when after Kevin Ware’s injury, his UL teammates showed real emotion in feeling for their fallen brother and rallied around him in as powerful a way as I can remember in college sports. That moment caused me to not only like Kevin Ware, but hope for success for those players who showcased a level of compassion and vulnerability on a national stage that really was powerful. But what has followed since that moment has been a bit more than I can handle. Through no fault of his own, the Kevin Ware story has gone viral to such a degree that when I go to eat at Qdoba, I wonder if CBS is going to pan to a shot of Ware to see what his emotion will be when I order a naked chicken burrito (“Ok Jim, let’s go out to Rachel Nichols, standing by with Kevin Ware to see whether the recent movements by North Korea are having an effect on his rehab”). I found Kevin Ware not only likeable, but genuinely funny in the days following his injury, especially when he read the Top Ten list on David Letterman. But the never-ending, overwhelming nature of all things Ware, ranging from bits on the Today Show to t-shirts on every street corner can be a bit much. As with everything in today’s media culture, we have taken something genuinely worth praising and beaten the life out of it, until it ceases to have almost any emotion left at all. It isn’t Kevin Ware or Louisville’s fault…they have actually handled the situation well…but it does make for a very long week for a True Blue UK fan.

And speaking of “True Blue” UK fans, a change has occurred throughout parts of the state that has also been troubling. Due in part to the Ware injury, and in part to some bizarre notion of “state pride”, many UK fans are seeing folks trying to guilt us into supporting the Cardinals for a title win. This reached its crescendo today when Lexington Mayor Jim Gray suggested UK fans should “get behind the Cardinal Red on Monday.”

Now maybe I missed something, but I don’t exactly remember a groundswell of support from Card Nation last year as UK went for a Championship. Beyond Rick Pitino’s supposed “bring the title back to Kentucky” statement to Calipari at the end of the semi-final (which I have a hard time believing was either (a) said or (b) if said, heartfelt), I dont recall much movement from the UL faithful to “get behind the Wildcat Blue.” In fact, I recall the opposite…a city full of newly-found Jayhawk supporters hoping to keep “that dirty, cheating Calipari and his one and done nomads” (actually they didn’t use the word nomad because that would have required too great a vocabulary) from realizing a dream. And you know what? That didn’t bother me one bit. WE ARE RIVALS! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO ROOT AGAINST EACH OTHER! Duke and North Carolina don’t pull for each other….neither do Michigan and Ohio State…Alabama and Auburn or the Yankees and Red Sox. We engage in a friendly (at least most of the time) rivalry that sees you hoping your team wins, while the other correspondingly loses. UL fans saying “Gardner Webb” and “Robert Morris”, while UK fans respond with “Morehead State”, is what it is all about. Yes, in serious moments, such as during the Ware injury, we rally together to realize something bigger than a game and show our common humanity. That is why so many Kentucky fans (this one included) were happy for the players when they won the Duke game after such a difficult moment. But when the dust settles, we are still rivals, part of which assumes a level of friendly dislike.

I have read many supposed “calmer, more rational” people than me who have written that we should be for Louisville because of “Kentucky pride.” But that misses the point. I love the state of Kentucky, and the city of Louisville where I reside in particular, and nothing that happens Monday night will have an effect on either of those feelings. Instead, I am not rooting for the Louisville basketball team…a group of fine kids who I would help in any way I could in life…but who I still hope lose on Monday. It is nothing personal. I have great friends who bleed Cardinal Red, have dated women whose faults include throwing up the “L” and have work colleagues who have helped my career, even though their fanhood is so misguided. We can all love the state and the city without hoping each other’s team wins…in fact, I like the rivalry more because of it. A rivalry without rooting against the other team is like a game of badminton at a family reunion…worth passing the time, but not something to look forward to.

With all of that said, I can’t help but not only acknowledge Louisville’s supremacy this year, but also admit to a bit of enviousness. While our men’s basketball program is by no means subservient to the Louisville version, as of today our football and women’s program is (the latter only by postseason success…the regular season has been just as good or better). As much as I hate it, the truth is that is good to be a Cardinal right now. But understanding this reality doesn’t mean I have to like it. I can acknowledge that Rick Pitino is a great coach…one of the best to ever practice the craft…while still also trumpeting the fact that he lies every time he speaks and has a likability quotient with me just slightly higher than Jay Mariotti. I can accept that Tom Jurich may be the best Athletic Director in the country, while also repeating that “success does not a tremendous person make”, and pointing out his repeated attempts to bully and control a generally willing “yes daddy may I have another” Louisville media base. And I can be happy for my great UL friends (from Vanetti to Meiners, to Perrin Johnson to the old 1570 group to Handsome Jimmy to Mengus 22 to Rob and Bacon to Slapnuts to Jim Andrews to Miller to the dudes in the infamous Crown Royal picture who I don’t know but have given me such joy over the years to that one girl who used to…oh well, nevermind) while also laughing at their ridiculous hats, line beards, tattoos, and brilliant combination of Catholic private high school education/twitter tough guy personas. I can acknowledge objectively Louisville’s tremendous success without having to (quoting the great former Washington Nationals relief pitcher Joey Eischen) “suck on it and like it.”

The last couple of weeks must have been what it was like to live in East Berlin during the final years of the Cold War. You know your occupation by the Red Russians/Cardinals is currently overwhelming but you also believe with Ronald Reagan (or in our case the 2013 recruiting class) saying “Mr Gorbachev, tear down that wall,” better days are coming. The year of the Cardinal is (thankfully) coming to an end, possibly with two national titles in the next two days. But better days for BBN are coming. We will win it all next year and the future is bright in all the sports, regardless of our rival’s success. Yes, the smug grin of the man above and the gloating of the most famous Italian restaurant hair-plugged customer since Tony Soprano will be not only ubiquitous, but also unfortunately, backed up with earned justification. However better days are to come, and as the great French philosopher Montainge may or may not have once said, “the worst day in Blue greater than the best day in red.” They are still Louisville, we are still Kentucky and we will persevere…no matter how difficult these days currently are.

Article written by Matt Jones

212 Comments for Dealing With the Card Reign of Terror

1. WKYDUDE
    10:06 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

AMEN MATT!!!

2. Miiike Jones
    10:07 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt who? Matt Jones

3. Carolyn
    10:08 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I cannot make myself support U of L in anyway. The thought of it makes me nauseous. As you said, I saw no support for UK from Louisville fans last year. I cannot or will not become a Cardinal fan for even a second.

4. Amanda G
    10:10 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Could not agree more! GO CATS!

5. Old Pogue Bourbon
    10:11 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Jim Gray must be thinking of running for a state office.

6. Lacy
    10:12 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

7. John Ellis
    10:12 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Gray may be making a public show of good sportsmanship like Pitino did last year after UK wiped UL out in the semis, but we know he doesn’t mean it any more than Pitino did.

8. ajh
    10:13 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

next year.next year. next year. if they win, so be it. 2 out of 3 ships arent so bad

9. Sully
    10:13 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

A recent lesson from the college football world: Alabama won the national title in 2009, but arch-rival Auburn won it the following year, beating Alabama in an amazing comeback before winning the title game. Alabama regrouped, refocused, and won the title the next two season.

The lesson? Cheer for the Cards tomorrow, for they are better than we were this season, and are a deserving champ (and, not a cheating champ like Auburn apparently was, from recent reports). But good days are coming for the Cats, beginning as soon as the outstanding new freshmen get on campus. Let’s keep this in perspective.

10. Karen
    10:13 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Amen, Matt! Who’s the guy in the picture? Go Michigan! Go Cats!!

11. klassact32
    10:14 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Well said! Funny how Card fans who mock us were the same ones pulling for Kansas. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I will never pull for U of L. I live in Louisville and it is going to be a long two days!

12. Tommytnemaster
    10:16 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Can’t someone in Louisville start their own Cardinal Sports Radio Site, or isn’t their anyone in Da’ville smart enough to do it.

13. Nat Irvin
    10:17 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt,

written with a bit of wit, class and sass….

Good for you…

Go Men and Women Cardinals…

Go Commonwealth!

14. TomKat
    10:17 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

As long as little brother keeps the shine on our trophy ’til we pick it up again next year, he can have his day in the sun.

15. Greg
    10:18 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

CARDS takin over the State of KY!!! Louisville is takin care of business in every sport. Go Big Red!!!! Ky takin the back seat this year. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!!

16. cracka
    10:18 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

in order, I wanted iu to lose, then osu, then duke … next would be ul, but I don’t hate them, just like to make fun of them … rooting for michigan

17. Rondodog
    10:19 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

You would think the Lexington newspaper was all in for the Cards. Even an article interviewing former UK players about supporting UL. Would love to feel good for them but I just can’t do it. Rick is not Mr. Perfect and Walz is a real jerk. Cats forever in good times and bad. I’m wearing blue more than ever!

18. Greg
    10:19 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

The only difference I can maybe see from your “rivalry” examples, Duke/UNC, OSU/Michigan, Yankees/Red Sox, is that those teams are in the same conference/division, whereas the LOU/UK rivalry is geography-based (and maybe something with the Pitino angle), so to me it seems an exception. But still agree, I don’t know any UK fans that would root for UL or vice-versa. At least with me rooting for Michigan, it’s good financially for the conference.

19. Wayne
    10:21 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Remember setting around the breakfsst buffet in Hayyiesburrg where unfortunately we had tp stay, and listening to some Louisville fans saying as they packed to leave to drive ho,e on Sunnday, how they hoped we llost to Kansas.

20. True Blue Fans should say Go Michigan
    10:22 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens gets injured for season and UL fans laugh at UK for losing an NIT game. Kevin Ware gets injured and UK fans support the team. UL fans are not as supportive as we for them so I will not root in anyway for them. UL should easily win the title game. How can you not win the title this year after bringing back all your players after making it to the final four last year? If UL finds a way to lose this game tomorrow it will be the worse loss in the school’s history and they won’t be able to reach this plateau anytime soon. Pitino is nearing his retirement and he will not be able to build a team like this one in the next 4 to 5 years.

Moral of the story is UL must win or they will and should be embarrassed. Fans will still say they had a great season….hardly can say that because look at what Cal did coming to UK with a core group of new players each year…went to elite 8, then final 4, then win title…UL go to final 4 and lose title game is very choke job like. If UK returned last year’s team this year UL would have been stomped and yet they laugh when we lose our best player. Same thing would have happened to them if they lost Dieng. Next year UL fans will not be as happy when UK wins 30 games. I am going for Michigan and could care less about the women’s game.

21. EC
    10:23 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt, it warms my conservative heart to see you use a Ronald Reagan analogy for dealing with the Evil Empire of Jurich. This year is just a flash in the pan for the Dirty Birds. We will be back on top in 2013-14 in all sports, not just basketball.

22. wildca812
    10:27 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Why are UL fans always so concerned about whether UK fans cheer for them or not? Chalk it up to Little Brother Syndrome (or little “something”) NO decent UK fan would EVER want Louisville to win a game. Much less the national championship game.

23. Pegs
    10:27 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#15 Greg. Just STFU now you’re making us normal everyday UofL fans look like idiots. My brother is a huge UK fan and I’m a huge UofL fan. His car is UK blue, mine Cardinal red. Last year I was glad that you all won the tourney since you beat us and felt awful about Noel going down. Most of us don’t fit the stereotype(I mean Crown Royal is garbage) just like a good chunk of BBN don’t fit the stereotype that’s portrayed of them. If we win it this year (I don’t believe in guarantees outside of death and taxes) and you all win next year then maybe they’ll give this region the respect it should have than kissing North Carolina’s ass as the basketball holy grail. Just my .02

24. Catfan
    10:27 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Go cards, true bbn fans don’t fear your success because you guys have a long way to go. It would be good for the cards to actually get a win and bring them to national prominence so the uk- u of l rivalry could get respect for the nations top rivalry to compete with unc-duke

25. I mean seriously!
    10:30 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

You don’t ever root for your rival. Ever! That defeats the purpose of the term rival.

26. Whatever
    10:30 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

When you have a very small fan base then you need to ask others to join in to make yours look bigger. Screw UL. The Do not have a Card Nation… They have a Card County.

27. Aaron
    10:32 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Apparently Jim Gray is pandering for those votes now that Ashley Judd isn’t running for Senate. How slimy can politicians get?

28. [email protected]
    10:32 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Listening to 840 the other night, many Card fans calling in are saying that UK’s title is not legit because UK players are one-and-done & Pitino is winning it with true college players. Just need to remind Little Brother that they would not be celebrating in UL right now if it were not for the one-and-done. If UK & Carolina kept the talent for four years, Pitino would have no shot at a title with a bunch of true college players. Card fans should be thankful for the One-And-Done in Lexington or else they would be looking up every year.

29. SmartCat
    10:33 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

It’s easy: simply congratulate the Cards on their success (they have earned congratulations whether you like it or not) and move on. No need to have envy or jealousy. Again, they are having a great year. UK has never had a year in sports that measures up to what Louisville has done this year. I am just speaking the truth. That’s why they deserve congratulations even if you are not a fan.

30. Lisa
    10:35 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#22 Our past was last year. Louisville’s past was 1986. Big difference

31. jhnny
    10:36 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

“Instead, I am not rooting for the Louisville basketball team…a group of fine kids who I would help in any way I could in life…but who I still hope lose on Monday.”

Matt, I love your show and your website, but you are completely wrong here- and I’m certain you will be embarrassed in the years to come by this post.

I get that its difficult to root for your rival. But the pleading, the hoping, the out right rooting against a state school that is playing for the national championship is the most juvenile act I can think of. Matt, grow up. I’m not trying to guilt you into rooting for UL- but I am trying to point out to you that you should stop acting like a 5th grader. Sorry, 3rd grader. All I’m asking is that you don’t post on your website read by thousands of UK fans a justification for their juvenile rooting against a state school. And please spare me the counter of how bad UL fans are in Louisville. I live in Louisville. Some are horrible, but I never, ever, felt that the actions of others ever gave me the right to act in a similarly juvenile manner.

UL resides in this state- in the biggest city of this Commonwealth- that pays taxes which supports most every other county in this state (look it up). If they win the national championship it will bring glory on the city, the state and make the UL/UK rivalry even better than it already is. People around the country will look upon the Bluegrass state with envy- the true heart of College Basketball. Or, we could take your route. Lets root- “hope” -against UL and that they lose because we are a bunch of small minded assholes. Thankfully, Cal once gave much better advice than you, telling us not to root and hope against UL or any other team. Take the advise Matt, before you make yourself look any smaller.

I love BBN. I have two degrees from UK and they will always be my team. But if being a part of BBN means I have to abandon other schools in this state, than I want no part of it.

(OK, I didn’t mean that last part, but honestly, I hope for better from the greatest fans of any team in the country)

32. bosshog
    10:37 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Geez Matt, you really are a wimp-“reign of terror”-I’ll tell what a “reign of terror” is-7 straight BCS titles and having to play in the league that won them every single year. Louisville has had a good year, for sure. Let them try doing that in the SEC in football-not happening. The collective KSR need to perversely kiss Card A$$ and wine on this site over the last couple of weeks is pitiful. Maybe its because you’re really eating crow in Louisville right now, maybe you’re just trying to fan the flames because its good for business, I don’t know. But I sure will be glad when tomorrow is over and we can start looking toward next year and turn away from this chicken little crap.

33. ajh
    10:37 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

28 thank you. thats my new angle of talkin smack to these skanks

34. SkyAntoine
    10:38 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m down here in Atlanta with family who is supporting the Cards. I was ridiculed on the streets on Saturday for wearing my UK gear and at the game. I’ll be wearing my UK blue tomorrow night and pulling for Michigan. I’ve had all I can take of a fanbase that doesn’t know how to handle success. Stay classy, little bro.

35. choda boy
    10:38 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Eff UL. I went there, and they suck. I wore my UK gear the whole 4 years. I hope they lose at everything.

36. RobertPageReflects
    10:39 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I Love UK Sports. good times, bad times, you know I had my share. My trophy left home with a brown eyed man, but she’ll be back next year.

37. Doc
    10:39 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I choose to look on the title game as an opportunity for one program I dislike to lose. The other will hold the trophy until the Cats get it back next year.

38. bblueblooded
    10:39 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Here here!!! Can I get an Amen? AMEN!!!

39. The Captain
    10:42 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt, You always spell out things very well as they are. I agree on most of what you say especially cheering against our hated rival. But it is not coming to an end, it is coming to a pinnacle. The likes of which they can live on forever. If they win, it won’t die, especially for at least a year, this is just the start of it. It will flow right into next football season and then the defending the crown. You didn’t have to live through it before, its awful. They feel so entitled, and now it seems magnified by 10. Picture seeing those t-shirts that are on sale everywhere’ every day of your life. Its like a cancer. Be prepared, its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

40. NotSoFast
    10:43 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Pffft, one loss tomorrow and all this “success” loses it’s luster. Yeah sure Sugar Bowl win was good but it’s not a national championship and they didn’t even win the BE outright. Most UofL fans didn’t give a crap about the women’s squad til last Sunday. If the mem win tomorrow it will solidify the success but otherwise not really all this post makes it out to be.

41. Balls
    10:44 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

My girlfriend of two years is a UofL fan, and our relationship has never been poorer. We are on the verge of breaking up over this bullshit…go cats

42. NotSoFast
    10:44 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

*men

43. dave
    10:46 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

31-stop trying to tell ppl how to be a “good fan” or “true fan”. if ppl want to cheer against uofl so be it.
    youre not a better person/fan/etc than someone who is rooting for mich. and vice versa.
    get over yourself.

44. RonInOKC
    10:47 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I AM ROOTING for the Cards!!! Rooting for a Double Bridesmaid Title for the slimeballs.

45. Tylerelrubio
    10:48 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Well said Matt. As I’ve heard on the radio show, Im rooting for al-Qaeda all stars before I root for UL.
    I didnt hear one word of sympathy when Nerlens went down.
    I didnt hear one card fan rooting for UK last year.
    This is a rivalry. I hope they lose every game by 50. Watch 8th grade academic competitions if you want to root for everyone.

46. Mike
    10:49 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Both my Father and brother in law went to Michigan, so have a legitimate reason to cheer against Louisville, I mean for Michigan, go Blue whether it Maize and Blue Monday and then Big Blue every day after.

47. FurdTurgason
    10:49 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Florida won the basketball title, then the football title, then the basketball title again for good measure not too long ago. And the football title was their second in four years. We survived that. We’ll survive this. I’m actually pulling for the Cards in all sports other than men’s basketball. And I feel guilty pulling against the men’s hoops team knowing that good kids they have. Wait, their coach is Fifteeno and they have had several thugs under his tenure, so no I don’t.

48. dave
    10:50 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I can’t hate.

BUT….GO BIG BLUE!!!

49. neverpullforthecardsevenwhenplayersrsgethurt
    10:50 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m happy you aren’t pulling for the Cards, Matt. your comments on Monday’s show left it open as to whether you would pull for them or the Shockers. I hope Wiggins and his brother didn’t listen to the podcast from that day. I really doubt Louisville fans began rooting for us against Florida after Nerlens got hurt. I felt terrible for Ware and for his teammates but will never understand why some UK fans let their emotions after the injury take over their rational thinking to such an extent that they began pulling for their most hated rival. Go Big Blue!

50. keep calm and bleed blue
    10:50 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I simply cannot do it. Even when I feel like I should succumb to the statewide pressure and cheer for this team….. when the game begins my true feelings emerge and I cannot do it. I just want it to be over.

51. Blue Boy
    10:51 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Watching UL is like watching somebody move out of an old trailer park into our gated community.

52. Ibescootch
    10:51 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Georgia214- I think you’re missing the point of Matt’s article completely. He’s saying that the bitterness, the pettiness, the cheap shots are the way it SHOULD BE! I honestly don’t think his article is even that much of a shot at Louisville fans in general, or at Louisville (“It isn’t Kevin Ware or Louisville’s fault…they have actually handled the situation well”), but in the hypocrisy of those calling for “respect” and “support” of the Cards in lieu of Ware’s injury, or just because they’re a KY team. Of course there are Lville fans who supported the Cats last year in their title run, but part of Matt’s point is, there was very little support or respect in both UK’s success last year, or Noel’s injury this year. It just seems like UK fans are being held to some sudden standard of sportsmanship that has been nonexistent in the past for Louisville. And yes, we were arrogant last year. When you are clearly the best team in the country, and the best team in recent history, you can be a little arrogant! I don’t even have a problem with UL fans being arrogant this year, they do have the best team in the land. It doesn’t make it sour grapes to call a spade a spade though, and want the same standard applied.

53. LexNative
    10:52 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Since I am now retired and up in years, may I offer you just a little senior advise….
    “Chill out, Dude.”

54. Geographically Challenged
    10:52 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I live in Indiana, work in Louisville, and bleed blue. I married a Cards fan. I’ve have had to close my eyes and pray for this tournament to end quickly, thanks to the Hoosiers and Cards. Life is Hell for a Cats fan in this area right now. I have never, and will never, cheered for the Cards. I felt bad for Ware and was glad to see his team support him, but that’s where it ended. Funny, we didn’t hear much talk about the Cats carrying Nerlens off the court. Go Michigan, because there will be no living with my husband if the Cards win.

55. Cawood's Court
    10:52 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

To borrow on what Charles Barkley said last night, “If UL played Russia, I’d root for Russia”.

56. dave
    10:54 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

HEY BOSSHOG!

I ain’t be no Uba Lba fans but dey smoked UF this year in the Sugar Bowl. Absolutely demolished them. And UF was the 2nd best the SEC had to offer. Right up there with UGa, if not quite up there with Bama.

57. dave
    10:55 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I do love that IU lost in the SW16, though. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

58. Rick
    11:00 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

There is always a silver lining. Maybe they’ll keep the run going long enough to cure Cancer!? I am happy for my UL friends. But, GO BLUE!!! I agree w/ every word, Matt!

59. bigblueinca
    11:03 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I love our Cats and read your blog everyday, but this is going too far. What good will come out of rooting against our home state team? Would you really rather Michigan take the title? UL had an amazing season. Give them credit and wish them well. Pretty much every Louisville fan I know supported UK last year in our title run, and hey, if they were that petty and didn’t, even more reason to show them proper sportsmanship and class.

I, for one, think it would be amazing to have back to back state of Kentucky national titles. Maybe even a threepeat next year! Nothing could be better for our state and rivalry with Louisville. Tomorrow, let’s show the Cards the same support and respect we would want them to show us. Maybe they will have the opportunity to return the favor next year. 🙂

60. Seriously?
    11:03 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

You make a Cold War analogy? I mean, I know your income depends on hyping this stuff, but this is just ridiculous–and not in the good KSR way. And “enviousness”? Seriously? It’s just “envy,” dude.

You and others with your rivalry-at-all-costs attitude can feel your hate and envy and anger and sadness all you want. Being a fan is about supporting a team, getting emotionally invested in something to be *for* when so much else in this world is so contentious. I am 100% *for* the Cats, but my enjoying seeing another school succeed–whether it’s my alma mater, the school where my cousin played football, another state school where friends have gone, UofL even–well that doesn’t diminish my support for the one team I’m committed to rooting for year in and year out, my Kentucky Wildcats. And, in fact, I know I’m a happier person for not being a hater…and I’m perfectly fine with that. I mean, why be a fan of a sport if it’s not for making yourself feel happy when you can?

61. Zac
    11:05 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#55 – FOR MOTHER RUSSIA!

62. Wildcat Lady
    11:06 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Hell would have to freeze over before I would cheer for the cards. It will never happen. If a Kentucky Fan cheers on the Cards, then they are not a true Blue Fan.

63. bosshog
    11:09 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

56, That is true, no doubt, but try that week in and week out, year in and year out, against the whole conference, and you’ll begin to see why there has been seven in a row and why Bama is heavily favored again next year. I’m just trying to put the “reign of terror” remarks into a more realistic context. Can anything that lasts only one year be described in such terms? Let’s see what Louisville does next year before we start kissing arse in this way.

64. Big D
    11:09 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Maybe not in the regular season but I’ve seen plenty of support from Michigan coming from OSU fans perhaps because of Big Ten pride. Also, don’t act like SEC schools don’t root for each other every year in football. That being said UK fans have less of a reason to root for Louisville.

65. rahrah
    11:12 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Preach it Matt!
    Go Michigan.

66. 59
    11:12 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

59. Leave the site and leave your BBN fan card here too. No way in hell should any Cat fan root for UL when their biggest alottment of fans reside at 22nd and Dumesnil. You go be proud and wear your UK gear in the heart of Shivel and clap for the Cards. Let’s see how they welcome you in.

You CANNOT live in Louisville and be Catfan and see the crud that is said and done and then root for the Birds.

67. Rick
    11:18 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#26 35% of a county. I’ve driven around Fern Creek and Crestwood for a couple hours today. I saw 3 THREE flags on cars. And the first car was at Rally’s and had an Indiana license plate! Hahaha

68. Jim Hendrix
    11:22 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I agree with Matt. I want to root for Louisville in this game but as much as I try, I just can’t. I hope they lose by 30. I just can’t help it.

69. rahrah
    11:22 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Yeah some of you are quick to forget the Courier Journal cartoon making a joke of the injury to our beloved Nerlens and how funny ALL the uofl fans thought that was. I don’t remember any support for OUR STAR PLAYER at all.
    Go Michigan.

70. Rick
    11:28 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

66 We have a winner! Outside of Jefferson County, people would be SHOCKED at what UK fans living in duh ville have to listen to.

71. Why Do You Play Left Handed?
    11:30 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#68 31.

72. whysoserious
    11:31 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

This is actually one of the more insightful things Matt has written in a long time.

73. Dave
    11:31 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

34: Keep fighting the good fight. The Lex. Mayor and Jurich are greasers. (Not sure what that means, but i don’t like it)

74. Mojo
    11:35 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Way, way too early for this fawning over UL. Lets see how the final games go for each first. If the two hoops teams win, then yeah, they deserve respect. But I can’t believe that UL will defeat UConn. The men are a 50/50 bet at this point. As for he Sugar Bowl win, that’s pretty easy to denigrate – they were in that game only because of the conference they play in, and played a team that wasn’t interested in being there, in front of the smallest Sugar Bowl crowd since 1939, in the lowest tv ratings in BCS history. They took advantage of he opportunity, but big deal. Jeremy Foley is on line one, wants to discuss Florida’ back to back hoops titles, football national titles in 2 of 3 years, and holding the national basketball and football titles simultaneously. That is worth some fawning, plus he’s neither a jerk nor a hog-head…..

75. Tia
    11:38 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #45. Not once was there ever any sympathy towards Nerlens, matter of fact just a bunch of smack talk. They hoped we would choke in the finals last year. I’m sorry the injury happened to Ware, I hate to see any kid get hurt. But enough already ##it happens in sports, he’s not the next coming. So in true Big Blue fashion, I’m going for Michigan. I can’t honestly cheer for the Cards. I had to stomach a year of school there, and I hated them then too.

76. UK_Gr8ness
    11:38 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Luck Fouisville!!! Point. Blank. Period.

77. SoCal Will
    11:38 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt,most of us who enjoy your site love UK. Hopefully we always keep perspective and realize we are fans of our kids against their kids. That’s it. It is fun or painful but that is it. Any Kentuckian who has lived in Michigan knows that UM fans view UK fans the way UK fans view UL fans. Who cares. Life is short. Next year could be spectacular. We can handle a nice year in the ‘Ville or the taunts from Ann Arbor.

78. Omg efin stop
    11:40 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Matt enough with the loserville articles already. We’re giving them to much pub. I have an idea tommorow night while the game is on let’s all find something better to do. If you have kids spend time outdoors with them take your wife to a movie or any where with out tv. LETS MAKE THIS THE LOWEST VIEWED CHAMPIONSHIP GAME EVER!!!!!

79. Mojo
    11:41 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

And as for the conference thing, like ESPN said, they went from a dead league to a dying league. Congratulations. Lets count the teams that various conferences selected before UL when given the choice: West Virginia, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse…..but, hey, they beat out Cincinnati and UConn……

80. Buckets
    11:43 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Little brother’s moment in the sun will end tomorrow. They should have lost to Wichita State. They will lose to Michigan.

81. Dave
    11:43 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’d Beilein if i said i wasn’t rooting for michigan. (See what i did there?) ugh!

82. Lost in LA
    11:43 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m rired of hearing about Kevin Ware’s injury. The kids was averaging 4 points and 2 boards a game and the media makes it seems like he was a lottery pick. I’m rooting for a tornado in Atlanta tomorrow!!

83. 64
    11:49 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

64. Wrong wrong wrong. Auburn fans will never root for Alabama in football just because they are SEC schools. Get a clue! This shouldn’t be a topic for debate. UL is what it is. A rivalry. You don’t ROOT for your rival. UL would love it if we went on probation or our coach was out banging 49 year old Botox lips women on restraunt tables.
    You guys in Lex have it great. UL red flags and cheap attire is NOT PERMITTED IN LEXINGTON. half the fans in Louisville are blue fans and we have to share stores and business locations with these fools. I’m lucky though. I live in the east end. UL fans typically cannot afford the housing out this way but when you get inside the Watterson Xway it gets bad until it it reaches the inner circle of hell in town between Broadway and 36th street.
    Yes, Ware got hurt on national TV. Tough break for him. I felt bad. But I also know that on every bench for every college team they’ll be 2 or 3 players who have worse story than him.
    Come to Louisville and live a year then come back here and say root for the rival. Stop this nonsense. Go WOLVERINES!!!

84. Catman
    11:56 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I hate Loserville, period! Go Michigan , go UConn, two phrase I never thought I would utter!

85. UL fan
    12:03 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, as a UL fan, I don’t want any UK fans support. When I hear the “I mean I’m a die hard Cats fan but…” conversation I cringe a little. Doesn’t feel right. We’ve made it this far without the support. Go Cards.

86. The King
    12:12 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

After reading all the comments, there are a couple of things I’d like to address and try to provide some perspective on both sides. First off, Matt is right; U of L fans should take great pride in what they have done this season as it has been quite an amazing feat. Any attempt to marginalize it to portray it to the contrary is ludicrous. And if you happen to fall into that range of individual, ask yourself how you’d feel if UK was in this position with three major sports. In the words of Riley Freeman from Boondocks: “Game recognize game and you lookin’ kinda unfamiliar right now.”

UK fans on U of L Football: A frequent comment used by UK fans, myself included, is that U of L would not be able to attain the same level of success playing in the SEC week in and week out. Yea, no SH!T, it very likely would negatively alter their regular season record. But the fact remains that when it came time for the BCS game, U of L dominated Florida.

U of L fans on UK Basketball: Step away from “what ifs” for a moment and look at concrete facts. Your go to move of labeling Cal as a cheater and claim that winning our title with “one and done” players somehow diminishes its worth are beginning to get stale. The simple fact is that Cal has absolutely zero NCAA infractions on HIS record. Let me repeat that, Cal has absolutely zero NCAA infractions on HIS record. Does this mean Cal has never cheated or violated an NCAA rule, hardly? In fact, I’d say there is a pretty high probability he has run afoul of the NCAA rules at some point in his career. I personally find it hard to believe that most coaches haven’t violated some rule at least once. But ponder this for a moment; with such a reputation following him and the issues with some of his past players, don’t you think that if the NCAA had the slightest bit of evidence against Cal they would do everything possible to lay the hammer down on him? Pitino on the other hand, does have NCAA violations on his record from his time at Hawaii. Does this really mean anything at this point in his career? Of course it doesn’t. In other words, things you “claim” about Cal from his past bear absolutely no relevance to the present.

With regard to the diminished value of our title last year with “one and done” players, please give me a break. Like I previously stated; In the words of Riley Freeman from Boondocks: “Game recognize game and you lookin’ kinda unfamiliar right now.” If U of L is as great of a basketball program as they claim to be, then act like you’ve been here before.

Lastly, U of L’s pending title game. I am as big of a UK fan as they come, but at the end of the day it’s just a game between these two. From a fan perspective, I HATE U of L sports and hope they lose every single game from here till the end of time and you can add KU, Duke, UNC, and Indiana to that list too. However that being said, I live in Louisville, have an undergrad from U of L, two masters degrees from IU, have many friends who are U of L fans and I take pride in all of those things. Like Matt said, regardless of the outcome tomorrow night, none of those things about me will change because this is just a game.

Kevin Ware aside, there is not a single player in the entire tournament that I would like to see be able to win the title more than Peyton Siva. The more I read about him, listen to him speak and observe his overall demeanor, the more I have come to like him as not only a player, but as a person too. However, despite my sincere desire for good fortune to be bestowed upon him, Siva winning a title means U of L must also win a title, and that’s a no go for me. It’s a conundrum that can only be understood by those who have played fantasy football.

Come Monday night, I don’t particularly care if Michigan wins; I just want U of L to lose.
    One last thing…… U of L fans, please drop the “get on board or get out of the way” stuff. While this season is nice, the effectiveness of talking trash is greatly improved by sustainability. If you keep up your pace for a few years, give us a call, but not yet.

87. Eric
    12:15 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Not sure I can get on board with the “Catholic private H.S.” barb thrown in there. I’m fine with the private school analogy, but when you cast aspersions on an entire religion by affixing it to Louisville fans it’s slightly offensive.

88. Matt Jones
    12:17 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I blew Drew Franklin while Mrs. TT recorded with her iPhone

89. Dy9asty
    12:19 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Wiggins will make his announcement on April 11

90. ikeeveready
    12:21 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Win for Ware?!?

How bout win one cause you haven’t been able to for Damon near 30 years!

I feel for the kid, I’ve seen two compound fractures in my life up close and it is horrific but come on people. He’ll recover, hopefully play again, and is a 10 min a game, behavior problem, that plays when Rick needs to heat check ridiculous.

Another thing, is it just me or does UofL always have to have a bleeding heart underdog story to win a big game.

That being said, I’m ok if they win tonight. It’s about time.

But I’ll be perfectly satisfied if they lose.

91. Matt JOnes
    12:24 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I live work and play in this city yet I consistently put it down.

92. Judy
    12:24 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

No way can I root for Louisville. I just don’t like them and I never have and I never will. And please Matt, don’t post Red Nose Jurich face again. When I saw that fat face it scared me to death (almost). What a scumbag but Louisville knows how to pick’em.

93. DIEHARD uk fan says
    12:25 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

If Kentuckians are going to fully support themselves in this State of Today’s Kentucky’s Economy, we need to drop all Kentucky teams off the schedule… Their is nothing to gain by beating each other to death in this GREAT state of Kentucky.

94. This Is It
    12:29 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

TJ is an AD who is determined to build one of the best athletic programs in the country…The corporate and private sponsors have put their money where their mouth is and done a fantastic shop of building great facilities for all of their programs and TJ has been mostly successful in hiring some outstanding coaches to coach these teams…KENTUCKY’S problems are two fold…Whereas TJ has the backing of both their corporate and private donors, KENTUCKY has donors who don’t care about any program other than bb(hmmmmm…We have never had our mens and womens teams in the NC game)…Secondly, we have an AD who is lazy about getting out and raising funds for upgrading the sports facilities at UK…If the fb fans had not revolted last year JP would still be the coach at KENTUCKY and we would not have the funding for major upgrades to CWS…PERIOD…That is what I’m envious(more mad as hell) about…

95. Kentucky fan
    12:31 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Don’t ge me wrong I have loved this site since Gillespie early days but this has got to be the most misplaced article I have ever seen, this would shame your UK forefathers. We are Kentucky, lets not dilute that to petty aggressions towards in state school success. They are our rival so naturally they became strong, we should not return that to them no but rather build our own momentum on there experience. The deeper the mental image of their success, the more success we will strive to get for ourselves and our team, it is obviously working for Lil Brother. Love you Louisville bring respect on Kentucky while we charge up for a ray beam straight through to a motha f’n national championship and return to dynasty. Kentucky is so easy to argue for, I love you Internet prowling Wildcats and long live KSR!

96. Attention Matt Jones
    12:33 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t mean to poop in the ice cream, but didn’t you go to school at Duke, Matt? It’s kind of hard to preach “true blue” when you’re a Duke alum. Anyone else see the irony in his article?

97. Computer Blue
    12:34 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

And all Jurich had to do was bankrupt the city of Louisville.

98. This Is It
    12:35 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt you seriously need to see a doctor tomorrow…You quoted the greatest conservative president who ever lived…Then on the other hand, maybe there is hope for you after all…

99. This Is It
    12:41 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt…Handsome(LOL) Jimmy played you like a violin while stabbing you in the back…The man HATES KENTUCKY…To him you and all UK fans are nothing but a bunch of racist, redneck, trailer park trash hillbillies…I have heard him talk about us in a couple of places he frequents talking about us and it wasn’t nice…

100. Logic
    12:42 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

First and foremost, I am a huge Cats fan. I just wish to make a simple observation: Here you are again doing something that writers on this very site have scolded Louisville fans for: simply writing a Louisville-centric piece on a University of Kentucky sports website. I have seen countless negative posts on KSR about how pathetic you think other journalists are who always write about KY in a less-than-perfect fashion, and even when they are supposed to be writing an article about Louisville, they manage to sneak in jabs about KY. These writers are then lampooned. YOU ARE DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS? Dude, just stop writing about Louisville if you want to avoid hearing about them! You’re just sensationalizing them even more. Root for whoever the hell you want or don’t want; but don’t try to rationalize your own juvenile mindset for a negative post about you feeling depressed and jealous. And I know plenty of UofL fans who both cheered on Uk in last year’s title and who were sympathetic to Nerlens’ injury. While very gruesome, it is the timing that is the main reason why Ware’s injury was so huge. How can you even reasonably judge if more UK fans supported Ware or that less UofL fans did for Nerlens? It happened at a time when there were about 6 or 7 teams an absolutely ridiculous argument to NOT root for Louisville.

101. Logic
    12:50 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

6 or 7 teams left in the tournament- of course you expect to notice the UK fans support more so; Louisville WAS in the middle of their own season. I get where you’re coming from on the rivarly aspect, and I do enjoy that Old-school feel. But that’s a simple reason enough to not root for my rival. You don’t need all this soap- box bulls**t. Just don’t write Louisville-centric articles anymore and give them more attention.

102. BigE
    12:53 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t like the dirty bird’s success but it has been a long time coming.
    They have invested more time, money and effort to get this return in the last 12 years than UK has in the last 30. Linebeard U’s campus and facilities have been rebuilt while UK’s remain stale. We conservatively hired coaches and upgraded facilities as ‘needed’. Until Stoops, Coach Cal has been the only aggressive hire in the last 20+ years. The football facilities are second rate and basketball was too until the new lodge and practice facilities were built. Rupp is a dinosaur that needs reconstruction.
    Want to be the flagship school? Its time to act like it.

103. Duke Sucks
    12:58 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Can we please STOP with the UL post! This is a UK site lets act like one!!!!!!!!

104. Jarweed
    12:58 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Tomorrow morning they are hiring extra guards at all the prisons just in case the ULinebeards win. Apply within.

105. The King
    1:07 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

#96 that is an example of what he was talking about. He can be a “true blue fan” and a graduate of Duke just like I am a “true blue fan” and a graduate of Indiana. Duke, as university, has a much higher ranked law school than that of UK much in the same way that the Kelley school of business at Indiana university has a much higher ranked MBA program than that of UK. While the ranking of a particular program at some university may not appear to be more than numbers, it represents access to more knowledgeable faculty, different or more indepth learning process, collaboration with different types of students, and the ability to utilize larger amounts of resources.

The reason we both can both be “true blue fans” yet attend a rival school is that education and career pursuits are different and completely seperate from a game played by schools. Please tell me you can see the distinction between these.

106. Hah
    1:11 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

#100 U mad bro?

107. SeaCat
    2:11 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you need to start antidepressants
    or stop the alcohol…
    Cats will win next year!
    That is all that matters!

108. uk4me2
    2:16 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I am a die hard UK and Cal fan, but don’t hate U of L or Pitino. I generally pull for any Kentucky team as long as they are not playing UK. Pitino did nothing but good for UK. He left UK for the pro ranks, just as many of our players do, we can’t blame him for that. It was a big mistake for him but he had no disloyalty to UK. When the pros didn’t work out for him, the UK job was not available to him so he went to Louisville. I have pulled for Pitino ever since, not hated him. When they play UK it is a different story. I am a UK fan but I have pride in the State of Kentucky as well. I would love to have the national titles of both the men’s and women’s basketball national championships at UK this year but we are out of both so I would like for U of L to bring them home for the State. Go Cards, I don’t want to see the National title go to Michigan.

109. SadCat
    2:28 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

109, I agree

110. Do I want Michigan to win the title?
    2:35 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Yes. Unabashedly and unashamedly. Ann Arbor is a lot farther away than Jefferson County, and there are a hell of a lot less of their fans around to listen to go on and on about themselves.

I like Matt, but I’m seriously tired about hearing it from here too. The article is fine, but it’s on the wrong website. I’d just drive up there if I wanted to subject myself to this.

111. UKBlue
    2:41 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

UL better enjoy it now, because the wheels are already in motion; the things getting ready to hammer Jurich & UL, this time is going to be hilarious to watch play out. The shoes waiting to drop have already started falling & UL fans don’t even see the shoes coming.

112. Truth
    2:42 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

If you do not root against your rival, then you are a casual fan! Therefore, you have no business on a message board watering down the passion the REAL fan base feels. I’d rather rub tabasco in my eyes, while extracting a tooth with a pair of pliers and river dancing on broken glass than see UL win a championship! GO WOLVERINES!

113. Wildcatsteeler
    3:17 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

@113 Boy you said it brother. How any real UK fan would pull for them to win is beyond me. Just read the article and see how their sports program is eclipsing ours and then root for it to pass our signature sport, basketball. If you say you’re a UK fan but are pulling for the Cards? Very sorry to break this to you, you’re not a UK fan.

114. CATandMONKEY
    3:17 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt,
    Excellent piece on the current, sad state of affairs in the Bluegrass.

Especially like your examples of how it is possible to acknowledge another’s talent,skill or success while completely despising how those attributes are utilized.

Lady Gaga is a very talented musician but I wouldn’t pay a dime to see her.

115. iucansuckbigblue...
    3:34 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

We are Wildcats. We should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, pull for Loserville or Indiana. Never. I love how they think we owe them a “good job” or a “you have a good team”….. Yeah right. We that live in Louisville and support our Cats listen to these dirty chickens everyday. We listen to how great they think they are for doing the most simple things. Its pathetic. Yeah it would be cool if we could all support each other. But it will never happen. Cause they are who we thought they are.

Go Big Blue ! And Go Michigan

116. CATandMONKEY
    3:54 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

60(Seriously?)
    As a fan, your post makes me unhappy.

117. robuk
    5:14 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

This ul stuff doesn’t bother me. Aberration is the word.

118. Bigbluenationbigredmachine
    5:18 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go WOLVERINES!
    Go LADY HUSKIES!

119. Rich Madky
    5:31 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand you talking about this on the show and writing it, too. You’ve lost perspective. Pitino’s record vs. Cal at UK is 1-4. Joker is no longer the football coach & really no one cares about women’s basketball. It’s fine. Give it a rest.

120. FatBlueKid
    5:59 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

The one good thing if they win tonight is that ghetto filled town will burn to the ground! I hope they win it. THat way Louisville Yankee Town will go away. THose people will burn it. It is a disgrace to the state and to me not a part of the state. True Kentuckians don’t go there, don’t want it there. Yeah did yo know someone got shot after beating Wichita. WICHITA! What a terrible place to raise children. Very evil city.

121. tdogg40330
    6:04 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

GO MICHIGAN !!!!!!

122. Dr. UK
    6:12 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

#121

The city of Louisville is the only half civilized part of the entire state. Without it, we’re another West Virginia. We pay your taxes. Evolve you inbred troglodyte. UK fan here.

123. Derbygal
    6:13 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Michigan!! Go U Conn!!

Was born blue, bleed blue & will leave this earth blue!! No conversion tears here.

Did they hate us last year..YES!!! Do I have them now…YES!!!

Didn’t even watch their games this weekend…nor will tonite or tomorrow nite!! GO CATS!!!!!!!!

124. SamKat
    6:21 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

So very well said, Mr. Jones!

They have no idea of what IT is, nor will they ever have IT. They are “L” and we are UK and that is a wonderful part of IT! I stand with our school and our great AD, Mitch Barnhart!

If they win tonight, which is all too probable, I join you in congratulating their basketball teams. I still hope neither wins. That is part of IT!

125. old school
    6:35 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I hope they pull off the victory. This is what college sports is supposed to be about. They are doing it the right way, with blood sweat and tears. They are not cutting corners and using a bunch of ready made, NBA ringers. Good for them.

126. WildcatGuy
    6:46 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt. Whooooaaaa. I agree with your premise. I do not cheer for Loserville under any circumstances. HOWEVER, you have gone off the deep end with this Louisville run for the ages. First, they have not WON YET! Write that column tomorrow if they win. Second, I love the UK women’s basketball program, but the rest of the country doesn’t give a rats ass about women’s basketball. Louisville will go down hard to UCONN in the final. So, we will look back in a week saying what? That Loserville had a nice run to the finals but won nothing, and a Sugar Bowl win? I’ve already forgotten about it. I have lived in Louisville so I understand how suffocating it can be at times as a UK fan. But, take a deep breath, get out of the state for a while, and you will realize that no one cares about Louisville athletics. They are like University of Cincinnati, University of Pittsburgh, etc. . . . urban schools that will always play second fiddle (“little brother”) to their state namesakes.

127. Peggy Gibson
    6:59 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

You made my day by putting my jumbled thoughts into words. We are BBN!

128. words
    7:11 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

too many words

129. I'lltakethebaitandcraponyourcity
    7:15 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

123. If having that sizeable an amount of town that I wouldn’t want to walk through at night with two guns is “civilized,” you and I have very different meanings of the word.

And for the record, more of you pay state taxes because there *are* more of you, and in packs. You’d be paying them at the same rate regardless of if you emigrated to our no-shoes, dip-spitting, backwoods parts of the state

Before you come, buy a shovel; there are lots of pretty green fields.

130. Erection lasting longer than four hours
    7:15 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I ain’t payin no one dollar for no Pepsi

131. Dr. UK
    7:19 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

My above post (123) intended for 121.

132. Glass House
    7:21 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Really Matt? You deleted my post? But for real, how accurate was I?

133. BigHoopsFan
    7:24 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Michigan!:)

134. barn
    7:27 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

the basketball gods have forsaken us. this year

135. Tom Jurich
    7:29 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WORLD IS MINE TO @!#@!

Bow Down!

136. barn
    7:33 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

i think by the time gametime is here and the ball is tipped tonite most in bbn will be cheering for uvell. hahahah. not

137. UKRN
    7:40 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Add Good Morning America to the national media fawning over the Cards. Every morning some news clip about the Cards. This morning on Kevin clapping on the sidelines. When the one of the cast members choose Michigan, they all gave him grief. I agree with Matt. When UK was one the run I can’t recall any of my Card fans chanting “Go Big Blue”. So why should I? I have been wearing my UK blue all week and can’t wait to be with the BBN on Saturday in CWS.

138. UKBlue1!
    7:41 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

This post/article stinks. Jurich is doing what a athletic director is supposed to do. Build championship and high caliber athletics department for its school. Barnhart nearly ran the basketball program into the ground with the hiring of Billy Clyde. The Joker hire in football has put the football program back to square one. (All of the idiots predicting a bowl season, need to get it together) We will be lucky to win 3-4 games in football this year. It is already on record that we have no receivers. We are going use a walk-on and JC players on the defensive line. I will give credit to Barnhart on the hiring of Matthew Mitchell and for the National Championship earned by the rifle team. He has failed in other areas and been rewarded a huge contract. If it weren’t for the hiring of Calipari his administration would be one of the biggest jokes in college athletics. Unfortunately for him his was forced into the Calipari hiring.

139. UKBlue1!
    7:43 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I forgot one last thing I hate UL. Go Michigan.

140. James
    7:48 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Bravo Matt! All I remeber last year were Louisville fans cheering against Kentucky and Card Chronicle fans openly hoping thay MKG broke his leg.

141. Matt
    7:49 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

How about the classy Tard fans burning a mattress on Southern Pky on Sat night!

142. Prince Sultan bin Sober
    7:50 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Also a horse owned by UL is a favorite to win the Derby

143. Otis
    7:54 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I am a UL fan and I was cheering for UK to beat Robert Morris

144. Lalbright
    8:08 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Well said, Matt! Except for the part about being jealous. I will NEVER be jealous of UL!

145. Rixter
    8:09 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I have to disagree about Pitino being a ‘great coach’.
    A great coach doesn’t go to ‘a Top 5 Program’ (Jurich’s words, I believe) and take 12 years to get to a championship game.
    A ‘great coach’ doesn’t routinely take great recruits, even McDonalds All-Americans (I’m looking at you, Peyton Siva), and transform them into middle of the pack Israeli League players.
    A great coach doesn’t completely embarrass his university, and his family, then walk away like his hands are clean, like it never happened, and if it did, it was somebody else’s fault.

146. Rixter
    8:10 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Thank you, Otis. You are a great American.

147. robroy
    8:16 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

If UL loses this game tonight, it will be the worst loss in the history of the program. Think about it-it’s their best chance in decades. They already know next year it’s gonna be UK. That’s a lot of pressure on the team.
    I hope they lose by one point in quadruple overtime, it will hurt worse to know they got so close.
    GO MICHIGAN!!!

148. BravoBigBlue
    8:23 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

146 – You nailed it. Ptitino is a joke. Pathetic poa.

149. Bmac
    8:27 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Espn ripping hard on the Cards this morning, said they play unwatchable basketball. Said they hold, grab and hand check to make up for not being as good as their opponents and if they played in the NBA they would all foul out of every game.

150. ARDEE
    8:28 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

<strike)why does all the text have a line through it?

151. ARDEE
    8:28 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

why does all the text have a line through it?

152. ARDEE
    8:29 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

151. nerd fail

153. dave
    8:32 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Maybe it’s because I haven’t lived in Louisville for ages, but, I don’t get why everyone is so concerned about them. WGAF!

154. mikey
    8:35 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Cards!!

155. The Rob
    8:35 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Can this site please get off UL’s nuts? People visit this site to read about UK. Not to read about some second rate school in Louisville. I understand that people that live in the vicinity of Louisville might have some interest but in the Northern part of the state (I can imagine it is the same in the Eastern part of the state also), UL is, and always will be irrelevant, except when they come up for cures for the STDs that plague their student population.

156. CA
    8:39 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

There was a Metro policeman on the radio Saturday morning talking about the police will be patolling the streets for any problems and also said that UL fans are not like UK fans i.e. they burn couches. And lo and behond, there was an article in the CJ this weekend about a couch being burned during the excitement this weekend (after UL beat Wichita State). They haven’t even won the championship yet. I got into a discussion with someone working at one of the college stores this weekend and talked about that. Even though she said that she was a UK fan, she didn’t have any problem with that – said after 26 years they deserved to do that. Also, I mentioned that I didn’t think that Pitino deserved the HOF award because I thought ethics and integrity was important. She said that she was a friend of Pitino’s daughter and that personal issues should not have anything to do with HOF award. It is amazing that some people just ignore the discrepanies of Pitino yet they are the same ones that criticize Coach Cal –

157. Good Things happen to bad people
    8:40 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Looking for the silver lining in this season and I can’t find one. Want to know what else I can’t find? Karma!

How is a guy going to get some chick prego and then abort the baby and then ruin this lady’s poor life only to have success in life? I mean we all believe in forgiveness but c’mon man! I guess he cleared things up because usually you have to pay for your sins.

All well, he is obviously forgiven which is bigger than any stupid game that is being played!

158. uk9698
    8:46 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

UK won it’s third championship 63 years ago! F**k lousieville.

159. Granitefan
    9:01 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

As Kentucky fan, we must admit Pitino used a bench and superb coaching to have a great season. Perhaps we are starting to realize experience does matter.

160. BourbonGirl
    9:02 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

UL fans were shooting guns in the air Saturday night. That’s not as bad as burning couches? ha! Idiots! I will never cheer for UL…NEVER…I work in Louisville and the past few weeks have been terrible. I tell the UL fans I work with…Hey, if you guys win, that’s really nice, Little Brother won a trophy…the 3rd trophy…Isn’t that sweet!! I also have told them to come talk smack to me when they have 8, then we will be on a level playing field. I also told them to enjoy it because it won’t happen again for a long, long time. And I hope they enjoyed the wins they had during the tournament in Rupp because they won’t have any of those again for along time either.

161. red headed step child
    9:14 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

If your cheering for the dirty birds tonight, please turn in your #BBN fan card, you may redeem said card for your “choice” ( not as in choice to abort ) a double duece or a free STD screening groupon. If you choose the groupon coupon please use the same user I D and password you used for the ul season football package.

162. BigDaddyUK
    9:15 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Blue ! Michigan Blue !

163. mikey
    9:23 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

It’s hard to believe but nevertheless factual. There are 3 billion Chinese people that don’t care who wins this game, they don’t care what Matt thinks, they don’t care what you think, and they don’t care what I think. It’s all just very humbling.

164. Kidnut
    9:32 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I am a UK fan and I will be rooting for Louisville.

165. BlueRedNeck
    9:32 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

150, I agree with you that Pitino’s philosophy is to grab, hack, and bump the opponent into submission, and hope that the refs can’t/won’t call all the fouls being committed and that he will have enough players to absorb them if they do. However, that is the same style he taught while at UK, and we loved it then. That being said, I think the NCAA needs to make some changes to how the games are being called, or else all the players will be wearing helmets and pads in the games in the near future.

166. BlueRedNeck
    9:37 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I am wondering why Nerlens doesn’t get any love from the media, when he suffered a potentially more serious (if less gruesome) injury earlier in the year, and he was the best player on his team. Also, he is the guy who volunteers to visit nursing homes, Special Olympics, and children’s hospitals. I’m sure Mr. Ware is a fine young man, but until I see him doing this kind of thing, I am not ready to anoint him for sainthood.

167. theWilkman
    9:39 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Saw this post for the first time this morning. Pretty good article and echoes my sentiments pretty closely, but those dashes through all the words was one of the most annoying things this site has ever done. Please, for the love of God, don’t do that again. We get it, you didn’t like writing this post. That could have easily been shown without giving everyone a migraine.

168. SMH
    9:40 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

LOL @ 151

169. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    9:41 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Good for them but I really wouldn’t think about it as much if this site didn’t write so many UL articles. It’s really nauseating.

170. Cat & Card Fan
    9:42 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Get a grip Matt. As a long time UK fan, I have always been a UofL fan as well. No matter how bad your impression is of Jurich, the sad fact remains that there are far more who question the integrity and ethics of UK. While I don’t believe there is reason to question that about UK now, the perception of cheating remains, partly because of the recent success in UK basketball, and partly because of UK’s past scandals in football and basketball. Jurich has never been linked to scandal, and neither has Pitino in regards to his basketball programs. They run clean programs, and they are widely respected. Pitino’s team has done an exceptional job this year, and they desevre to be praised. Despite the jokes and snide comments that come from you and others on KSR, Pitino has shown that he has learned and grown in recent years from his personal scandal. While that was a disgusting display of arrogance, he has grown and changed. His family has forgiven him. Matt, it is time for you to grow up as well, and stop acting like a four year old. It is perfectly fine to be rivals, but that does not mean you have to be bitter rivals and mean spirited. All the latter says about you is that you are bitter and mean.

171. Larry Dukes
    9:42 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

According to john Clay’s article in H-L this mornimg, it’s Joanne’s fault that RP is in Louisville, he was going to Michigan so he wouldn’t upset Kentucky fans. Yea, right.

172. uk sucks!
    9:43 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Louisville owns UK!

173. Wild Blue
    9:44 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

UCONN won both men’s and women’s basketball titles in the same year just a few year ago. UCLA has 108 overall NCAA athletic championships. Even Yale has 27 NCAA championships. Who thinks of them as a national power in sports? UL is nowhere near most athletic programs in success even if they win both bb titles this week. And never will be. On the national scheme of things who really cares about Card County? Go MICHIGAN!!!

174. inlinefor9
    9:44 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Envious of UofL? Never have I thought for a second to be envious of UofL. Even if they won the national championship in every sport this year, at the end of the day, they’re still just UofL.

175. Devil
    9:49 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

They sold their souls to me! #keepnationaltitleinky

176. Rixter
    9:58 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

#171, you better check your facts again, when Rick Pitino was an assistant at Hawaii, he got them landed on probation for some shady recruiting tactics

177. RICK
    10:00 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I HATE LOUISVILLE……………….

178. Axe Cop
    10:01 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I can image the photographer’s directions to Tom for that picture:

“OK sir, now pull your pants up about five more inches. There you go, that looks great.”
    “Alright, now suck in your gut. More, more, MOOOOOOORE, OK a little bit more…PERFECT!”

*CLICK*

179. KD
    10:05 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

158) Don’t think Pitino ruined “that lady’s life”. She has proven to be completely capable of ruining her own life.
    The Gray Family has been long-time supporters of UofL.
    Those of you assuming a Uof L title may want to watch the game. Michigan is a very capable team with perhaps better talent, at least at the top of their roster. ….a young but very talented team ….sound familiar?!

180. Bledsoe's Biceps
    10:07 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt trolling for more hits on the site by acting like a 3rd grader. A UL title will be great for the state and for the rivalry. It helps elevate the state and the UK vs UL rivalry, so we are on par with UNC and Duke. We really aren’t on that level, when UL hasn’t won a title since 1986.

I understand Matt’s financial motivation for stirring the pot and keeping the sheeple fired up, but there is no real reason to be jealous of UL’s basketball success this year. I have several friends who are primarily UL fans. But they also support UK when we aren’t playing each other. Both teams, will always have a small percentage that put their fan pride above all else, but they are in the minority.

This year, I hope UL wins the title. I say congrats to them. Let them enjoy it until the championship returns to its rightful home in 2014.

181. Cat & Card Fan
    10:15 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

#171 – You are right. I forgot about Hawaii. Pitino does say he didn’t do anything wrong, but of course, the NCAA never gets anything wrong either. That was Pitino’s first job, with no other hint of scandal since, so it appears that he learned from it.

182. With that said
    10:25 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Wolverines!

183. cat & card fan is a sheep
    10:27 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

How about shitino hiring players family and coaches to secure commitments and promptly firing them when the player goes elsewhere??

184. Andrew
    10:30 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

F**K Louisville and F**K Jim Gray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

185. jpizzle
    10:52 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Cats/Cards = Yankees/Mets so says Bill Simmons and I agree. Think about it…

186. Billy
    10:53 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

156) I come to this site to read about the Cards. There is more talk here than on any sites in Louisville. The UL fans go to work. Cheer for the team and hope for the best.Its entertainment not life.Kentucky fans just live it because its all that they have in their life. Sad really.

187. MustacheMan
    10:57 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I respectfully disagree with the statement that Louisville is and has been the best team in the country this season. They have had their ups and downs just like the rest of the top 15 teams this year, Michigan included. Michigan will win tonight.

188. jaws2
    11:00 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Jones, you make me want to puke! Your insight into this is not reflective of any UK fan I know, and your site has become the ‘Cardinal Chronicle’. Jeez, grow a pair and quit slobbering all over yourself over u of l and there poor wittle hurt player. Sorry to see Ware get hurt, but my God you’d think no team ever lost a player due to injury. I won’t be watching the game tonight because every time something positive happens for u of l the camera is going to be showing us Ware. I’m sick of looking at this crap. JEALOUS? You can’t be serious.

189. WildcatFloyd88
    11:01 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I thought Louisville was in Indiana?

190. Former UK Player
    11:02 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Let me ask all of you “state supporter” BBN fans something: Would Coach K leave Duke and end up coaching at UNC? Do Dukie fans support Carolina and vice versa? Does ‘Bama support Auburn? Would the Bear have left ‘Bama to coach at Auburn? Would ‘Bama fans support him and the Tigers for the “sake of the state?” No, no, no, no, no. Pitino arrived at UK with the notion that UK had accomplished nothing significant prior to his tenure. He was personally rude to many former players, including some of UK’s finest All-Americans. He was not inclusive of Coach Hall. He is a good coach; he is not a good man. You will probably find that many UK players prior to his arrival are NOT supporting UL.

191. dave
    11:07 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Pitino is a great coach. Believe what you wish. A great coach that has taken 3 different programs to the FINAL FOUR. A Great Coach that has taken 2 different programs to the National Championship Game.

Come off of it. Dislike the dude if you want but be freakin’ realistic.

BREATH KENTUCKY. All actin’ like it’s the end of the world. This is redneck, hillbilly silly laughable behavior. Not only are fans of every other program in the Nation looking over and laughing but fans of the program who do not live in Kentucky are looking and laughing at the ridiculous reaction to a freakin’ GAME. lol DAMN! Ya’d think it was the end of the world or North Korea had just nuked Japan or Pitino had sex with your sister and paid for her abortion.

192. dave
    11:11 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

I agree with this sentiment; “Fc*k ’em.” But damn all of the fc*kin’ whining over it. Bunch of freakin’ pussies.

193. Randy
    11:16 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

This is small minded. I am a diehard Wildcat going back to when I was a kid. 50 years. But I root for the Cards at times simply because its
    it’s awfully nice to have Kentucky as the basketball capital of the world. You prefer North Carolina? Indiana? Share the glory. We won it last year. Will likely do it again next year. 3 years of Kentucky dominance is pretty cool.

194. fiveo66
    11:57 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

My guess is that he is either not really smart or plans on not running for mayor of Lexington again?

195. BBHeart
    12:06 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

We give the tournament a miss this year to give them a chance at a National Championship. There’s no way they could win it any other way. Why not encourage lil’ brother.

196. worstlosersonearth
    12:15 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

BBN are the worst losers ever, miserable souls!!

197. clam
    12:24 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

You said what I have been saying all week. A UK fan should never root for UofL. Thank you for explaining why.

198. blueinmemphis
    12:48 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

You guys in the eastern part of the state have much more venom toward UL than us in the West. From a more objective view, why make such a big deal of it? Whenever you bring attention to something, as evidenced by the whining and crying and multiple stories and comments about UL, you’re just feeding the monster. I don’t have a big problem with UL when we’re not playing them. Who cares? Why compare them to us? Are you really that hurt that UL is having success in a down basketball year? Don’t you see how you can play that, instead of all this angst about “them against us”?

Damn, Freud would have a field day with you guys!

199. blueinmemphis
    12:53 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

BTW, I’m not saying UK fans have to openly root for UL, but why have a stroke or an ulcer about it? I’m rooting for Michigan, but not by much. I really don’t care who wins, as long as it’s competitive. One of the best FFs for competitiveness already.

200. I hate you both
    12:57 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Always classy Cats fans! Keep it up!

201. Kenneth Arnold
    1:10 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I would much rather re-enlist for another tour of Afghanistan or Iraq than to support the University of Kentucky.Matt Jones you are the worst host ive ever had the displeasure of hearing about. I have serverd in the Army for ten years and im a veteran so i can say what i want to say.Ive seen things that i bet you havent and this so-called Big Blue Nation is enough to make me turn myself over to the North Koreans or the Taliban. Rivalry? this is life and its not that serious, ITS A BASKETBALL GAME YOU DOLT!!First and foremost are these young men and women’s education,not who has the most championships and in that regard Calipari is almost like a pimp.One and done,who gets to the NBA,how arrogant and self-centered is that? If you want a championship come to Kentucky,at the expense of a young persons education.The fans are worse than ever-they all must be under some form of mind control.I cannot stand the University of Kentucky and it goes further than just basketball,i have the right to say that.I wonder how they really are getting these recruits,maybe the NCAA U.K. and you Matt Jones are despicable.

202. Kenneth Arnold
    1:13 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Maybe the NCAA should investigate these recruiting practices by Calipari and the truth will come out.

203. Kenneth Arnold
    1:22 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky fans are spoiled,insolent brats who think that the world revolves around them,im angry as all get out.Narrow-minded.arrogant and very self-serving. Little brother,give me a break!! Go Cardinals and Ryan Lemond-who are you? I bet you couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with a jumpshot.It makes me sick to my stomach to think that i defended the rights of these people.Its a game i have said yes,but the rhetoric coming from Big Blue fans is pathetic.You will not win a championship every year-it will not happen.Sense of reality? I have it but the comments are simply astonishing.How does one become so tunnel-minded,or so lemming-like because the edge of the cliff is approaching.

204. MichiganFanForTonight
    1:23 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

GO WOLVERINES!!!!!!

205. Sammydog
    2:02 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Lighten up Kenneth! It IS just a game and trash talking is part of the fun. The trash talkers are doing what they are supposed to do at times like this. That is Matt’s point.

206. Jesker
    2:08 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Grow up Cat fans. We will be back in full force soon enough. But for the next couple of nights, let’s get behind the Cards and tip our hats too them.

207. hahahaha
    2:41 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Best article I’ve seen on here in quite some time. And @207, no chance, they can go to hell

208. HicksPickSix
    3:57 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

@Kenneth Arnold – The irony of you lauding education while posting several grammatically-incorrect and borderline incoheret posts is laughable.

209. Joseph Dant
    4:09 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

@Kenneth Arnold: Thank you sir for your service to our country. You are a hero to me. But, come on,man! Don’t come to a UK website which presents the Big Blue perspective in the most ridiculous manner possible and offer a lunatic rant, expecting (I guess) to find a sympathetic ear (eye?). It is fun for gosh sake! I have close friends who are Useless L fans. I told them that I am happy for THEM. They get to experience this one time what I have been able to experience 4 times in my lifetime. But, other than being happy for them, I really don’t give a damn. Don’t expect me to pull for the Cardinals. Ain’t gonna happen. Thanks again, for your service. But, you should perhaps find a more bland team to follow.

210. Gary
    4:10 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

UofL sucks so bad that Ashley Judd wouldn’t even lie about graduating from there for 17 years, before getting around to obtaining her degree.

211. GetOverIt
    10:01 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

This post and a lot of comments come across as bitter and small. UL had a good season. Give them credit. Even better, we’ll have a chance to knock off the defending National Champs next year if they win tonight. Why waste your time being angry or ripping on them? I would rather focus on the positives of UK’s program next year and let them have their day in the sun. They earned it.