David Banner’s Thursday News and Views

Y’all, the pickings for April 11th birthdays were slim. Slim indeed. Like, the top search result was Jeremy Clarkson, whom I had never heard of, followed by Stephanie Pratt of The Hills, whom I have unfortunately heard of. So, I went with David Banner, aka Lavell William Crump (phenomenal name) of Jackson, Mississippi. He seemed a happy medium. The rapper and record producer graduated from Southern University and studied to get his Masters of Education at University of Maryland before putting that off to release his 2000 solo album Them Firewater Boyz, Vol. 1. His fame really took off in 2003, when Banner (stage name chosen after The Incredible Hulk’s alter ego) produced T.I.’s hit single “Rubberband Man.” Since then, Banner has been best known for his song “Get Like Me” featuring Chris Brown and Young Joc. In this inspiring rap number, Banner encourages his listeners to “stunt” like he does, hinting that doing so will get them material wealth and possessions, i.e., “a Chevy with the butterfly doors.”

Blogging is a habit. Get like me. Let’s hit these news and notes.

-BBN got an extra-special toy in their cereal box this morning when Dominique Hawkins of Madison Central High School committed to playing basketball at the University of Kentucky. Hawkins, who cites Keith Bogans as his favorite player, will attend UK with a full-ride scholarship. The Rivals three-star player describes himself as a “tough-nosed point guard” and dropped 29 against the Harrison twins when their teams competed earlier this season. On the emotional side, the commitment shows that Calipari can get elite recruits on both a national and state level, giving local kids with talent and dedication the chance to play for the team they grew up rooting for. For video of the event, click here. For the lowdown on Hawkins, click here. Welcome to BBN, Dom!

Hawkins follows in the footsteps of many beloved Mr. Kentucky high school ballers who went on to attend UK, including Jack Givens, Dirk Minniefield, Rex Chapman, and, most recently, Darius Miller and Jon Hood. Not a bad group of names to be associated with. Not bad at all.

-Elsewhere on the basketball front, the UK-North Carolina game will take place on Saturday, December 14th in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I’m already excited to see our clique run circles around Kennedy Meeks. Literally. Run circles.

-Now that basketball has officially wrapped up, everyone in Lexington (including Kyle Wiltjer, Alex Poythress, Jarrod Polson, and Tod Lanter) is ready for some football. Luckily, there’s only one practice left before the spring game this Saturday. Coach Stoops told the press today that it’ll be simple to make him happy at the Blue/White game: “I just want to see good football on either side of the ball.” Stoops wants both teams to be competitive and avoid one side blowing out the other.

-Stoops has been most impressed so far with the great attitude he’s witnessed over the past month. “I see them doing things right, I see their attitude being good, and their effort, that’s what I’m most pleased about.”

-And he’s not done yet. Stoops alluded to the possibility of adding one more player to the class of 2013, probably a JUCO LB or WR. Stoops happens.

-As for what to look for in the game itself, Nick Roush has a handy list of Who’s Who to prep your football brain. Highlights include Khalid Henderson (OLB), Donte Rumph’s replacement at DT (although he’s expected to be at full strength by fall), and tight ends. We’ll have more tomorrow.

Safeties and Special Teams Coach Bradley Dale Peveto, he of “Dye your eggs!” fame, was mic’d up today at practice. Enjoy his antics here.

-And finally, for some quick Cats in the NBA notes: John Wall was one rebound shy of a triple-double with 17 points, 11 assists, and 9 rebounds in a loss to the Heat, and Doron Lamb (who has been suspiciously silent on Twitter lately) had a career night for the Magic, playing 35 minutes and scoring 16 points (4-6 from three-goggle land).

That’ll do it for me, kids. Get a good night’s sleep, and don’t forget to pre-set the coffee machine. You’ll thank yourself in the morning.

Tweeting is a habit, get like me. @KristenGeilKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

51 Comments for David Banner’s Thursday News and Views

1. For your Orland Magic
    11:07 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

#1, Doron Lamb!

2. UK Freshmen
    11:12 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

1. Did you miss me?
    2. Told you so.
    3. It must make you especially proud to see you team win the right way.
    4. What fun is it when your team HAS to win, you don’t really know who they are, and they fall short.
    5. And everyone roots against you. They hate you.

3. BUCats
    11:12 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Wow David Banner, haven’t heard his name in a while. Love “Like a Pimp”. I remember when 2 Fast 2 Furious came out and the opening scene played that song and I was like holy sh*t this is awesome.

4. 44 Stitches
    11:14 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Real thugs get and down on the floor.

5. Doron
    11:14 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I got traded a few months ago. I play for the Magic now, ‘member?!

6. UK Freshmen
    11:16 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

6. Everybody in the country (world?) absolutely loves your biggest rival. And they win. That must really su*k. Sorry.

7. Clarkson
    11:20 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I host the most popular show in the entire world. My show Top Gear is seen in more countries than any other currently produced show.

8. Insider
    11:21 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

One recruit left for Cal; one recruit left for Stoops… It’s Wiggins, can’t ya see?? SF & WR. Mark it down.

9. Mike
    11:22 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

David Banner is hot. I want some of that sexy body!

10. UK Freshmen
    11:23 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Basketball is no fun unless you do things the right way. By the right way, I mean underdeveloping for a long period of time. By holding them back, we can exploit them for profit and entertainment… and maybe if we’re lucky, we can steal a championship in a horrendously down year for college basketball.

11. UK Freshmen
    11:26 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

1. P….

2. P….

3. P…. P….

4. More p….

5. I like p…. in my mouth.

12. UK Freshmen
    11:29 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

7. Your fans are relegated to make sexually twisted comments in place of a coherent thought. Reslly sorry.

13. 44 Stitches
    11:29 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

#7… The American version of Top Gear has Rutledge Wood on it. He graduated from the same high school as Jeff Sheppard. That’s random knowledge I can drop.

14. Cat Fan in Georgia
    11:32 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m a proud member of BBN and have been since Rupp’s Fiddling Five beat Elgin Baylor and Seattle in 1958. So don’t call me a troll or a closet (UL,IU,UNC,KU,Duke, take your choice) fan when I say that this “down year for college basketball” stuff is getting old. I’m guessing that for a lot of posters on this board a “down year” occurs whenever (a) UK is not very good and (b) UL/IU/UNC/KU/Duke…take your choice, but especially UL…wins the championship.

We won last year and we’ll win next year. Enough said.

15. OMGMattyG
    11:32 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

So you picked David Banner over Jeremy Clarkson, the host of the most popular TV show in the friggin’ world?

Sorry, I have to disagree with this decision. Even if you didn’t know who Jeremy Clarkson was, you should’ve been able to guess that he was better than David Banner.

You should also watch him drive around in a tiny car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo

16. Lil' Flip
    11:35 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I hope there aren’t too many people with my same birthday day so I get recognized. If you need me, you can catch me at Pappadeux’s eating steak and shrimp.

17. Mr 1987
    11:35 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I still love the cats… does KSR not still love me?
    My Jersey is in the rafters.
    John Pelphrey

18. UK Freshmen
    11:39 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I like to taunt my superior rival because I have an inferiority complex. I’m gonna talk smack and act like I’ve never been there before because I haven’t.

19. dave
    11:40 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

15-who gives a s***

20. Real girls get down
    11:45 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Me I’m a pimp, I ain’t payin for no sex! I’d rather buy a car or a new Rolex!!! Real ho’s get down on tha flo

21. Guess who sux
    11:46 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Kristen Geil

22. 44 Stitches
    11:48 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

#16 I think you are a few weeks late. flip, flip, flip, flip, game over flip, flip, flip, flip game over but you don’t hear me though.

23. Mike
    11:52 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Just read wiggins is waiting on decision of bullock Hairston and mcadoo, what does this mean? Does it mean if they stay, he goes there, if they leave he comes here?

24. BPsycho
    12:09 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

#20 I see what you did ther,

“Freaky *** ****, love freaky *** men
    Lemme work ya slow, lemme see it going in
    Then you pull it out, put your fingers in your mouth
    You make a ****a wanna **** your *** on the couch
    While we’re still in the club, show your ***** love
    Work that ****
    *** girl”

Lol.

25. Tautology
    12:12 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

@14 it was a down year. If UK had been the #1 team I still would have said,”my God this is a down year.” There were no superstar teams. No John walls or Kyrie irvings. Shabazz wasn’t the next mj. Louisville was a very good team, but not all time great. Cody zeller was projected to go #1 in the draft for a time. If that doesn’t appear strange to you, then you must live in a hole. It WAS a down year.

26. Tautology
    12:17 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Idk why I brought up Irving when he didnt really play, but I stand by my argument. I use the draft as an argument, because the strength of the draft generally reflects the strength of college ball that year. We still had guys projected in the first round(barely) at the end of the year. The most likely #1 pick tore his Acl months before the season was over.

27. dave
    12:33 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

dakari & andrew both say they could take MJ one-on-one…. in his prime. like the confidence but…..

28. Cat Fan in Georgia
    12:52 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

25/26 – I see your points, and agree that this may prove to be a weaker than usual draft (only time will tell about that). My comment was directed to the many posters who, since Monday night, have downgraded ULs championship because “it was a down year.” I attended all six Final Fours in Freedom Hall from 1958-1969 and have watched every tournament played in the last 50 years, either in person or on TV. Some years there was great overall talent (check out the lineups of the four 1982 Final Four teams) and some years there wasn’t, but every champion deserves all the accolades they get. Of course Louisville was not “all time great” but how many teams are? You could certainly make a case for UK 1996 and 2012, and several of the UCLA teams in the 1960s and 1970s, and IU in 1976, etc., but was UK 1998 an “all time great”? How about Kansas in 1988, UCLA in 1995, Maryland in 2002, UConn in 2011, etc.?

29. CATandMONKEY
    1:03 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t #23 school MKG…..THIS year? Maybe not an entire game, but Jordan still has skills. Me thinks the youngsters are being a little optimistic.

30. CATandMONKEY
    1:08 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Cat fan in Georgia;
    Good points. No matter the distaste we all may have for a Cards championship……they won all the games required to take home the trophy. Not an easy feat in any March scenario.
    Personally, just looking forward to taking it back in 355 days or so.

31. UKSupporter76
    1:41 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Clarkson hosts the most popular Television series…
    …in the wurld.

32. Kentucky Man
    2:05 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Hey ‘UK Freshmen’ does it shrink when your embarressed? Your points and arguments are just weak.

33. 33
    2:17 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

CADILLACS ON 22’S, I AIN’T DID NOTHIN IN MY LIFE BUT STAYED TRUE. PIMP MY VOICE, AND MACK THESE BEATS AND PRAY TO THE LORD FOR THESE MISSISSIPPI STREETS.

34. UK Freshmen
    6:05 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Enough already about the 1996 UK basketball team. Enough. They didn’t even win their lousy SEC Tournament. 6-1 to end the season.

UofL won the Big East season, won the Big East Tourney, won their last 16 games to the Championship. 16-0 to end the season. No contest.

35. 34 is an idiot
    6:18 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Such a pathetic troll. I’m pretty sure we mailed in the SEC champ in 96 just like we did last year. Bottom line both Rick and CAL knew that SEC champ was meaningless.
    I do know that 96 team only lost 2 games just like last year UK team. How many did your cards lose. How about talking about a lowly 9 seed had yall on the ropes for most of the game. That 96 team rolled through the tourney.

UL was a good team this year, in fact they were the best. Lets just leave it at that.

36. twnky
    6:57 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

23…. where did u see that?

37. BlueRedNeck
    7:14 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

34, you are really stretching to try to say that the UofL team this year is better than Pitino’s 96 championship team. The ONLY reason UK lost that SEC title game to MSU was because Pitino was trying to prove a point to Antoine Walker, and made him sit on the bench for nearly the entire game. That loss also helped galvanize the team, giving them a needed dose of humility heading into the tourney. I don’t get the feeling that Pitino was very upset that they lost that one. That team was loaded from top to bottom with future NBA players, and also had plenty of upperclassmen leadership.

This year’s Cards team was a very good team, played with great teamwork and determination, and had a dream season. When you look at how things fell into place for them heading into the tourney, aside from Ware being injured (which actually gave them EVEN MORE national exposure), they couldn’t have had a better setup of match-ups heading to the title. They were obviously the best team in college BB this year, and they delivered, but to say they were better than the 96 team is an obvious attempt by you to stir up sh!t with the people on this site. Pretty sad that you can’t just be content to celebrate the first title in 27 years with your fellow fans on your own forum.

38. Cat Fan in Georgia
    7:29 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Louisville 2013 > Kentucky 1996????????? No contest. They play 20 times, UK wins 19.

39. playersfan
    7:52 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Why are we permitting a shoe company to change UK’s colors to Grey, Hawkin’s cap, and thousands of UK fans. Dictionary difinition of Grey, dull, dark. Have we become dull and dark, or are we so dependent that we have to do what a shoe company says. It always looked great to see Rupp in total blue, or Sec tournament in sold blue. I think it would affect the team also. Go for BLUE and WHITE.

40. Rixter
    7:55 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

can we call him Dominique, or must it always be “Dominique Hawkins who’s favorite player is Keith Bogans”?

41. Secretariat
    7:56 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

If you don’t k ow who Jeremy Clarksin is, that’s your deficiency, not his. He is, after all, one of the biggest television stars ON THE ENTIRE PLANET. It astounds me how Ameri-centro people are.

42. big poppa
    8:08 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

I thought David Banner was the Hulk….

43. Topical Pseudonym
    8:10 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

is Dom Hawkins related to Dom Papa?

44. smh
    8:11 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Secretariat, I apologize for all the peoples who aren’t as worldly or sophisticated as you. We’ll try to do better, and become more like you

45. barn
    8:14 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

didn’t ‘the flying nun’ have a song about dominique?

46. barn
    8:15 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

singing nun?

47. CliffFrankLou
    8:45 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Secretariat, perhaps another deficiency is parking one’s ass in front of the TV and devoting too much time to other brainless media rather than doing productive endeavors. Centricity and arrogance take on many forms.

48. Afroman
    9:05 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Why’s David Banner runnin’ from the Klan?
    What happened to tha bitches, man?

49. Drewbert
    9:29 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Doesn’t surprise me a girl doesn’t know about Clarkson (aka Jezza). *facepalm*

50. Secretariat
    11:35 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

smh, it isn’t about being sophisticated…he’s a world pop-culture icon. You have to actively try to avoid the rest of the planet to not know who he is.

51. Mr Basketballs
    6:35 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Lets not forget Brandon Stockton and Josh Carrier.