Darnell Dodson is a Mad Ant!

A player who once helped make up the very first John Calipari recruiting class at Kentucky was drafted tonight. Darnell Dodson, who arrived at Kentucky to be the outside shooting threat needed on an otherwise freakishly athletic and talented team, lasted only one season before leaving Lexington on less than stellar terms. Dodson then found himself at Southern Miss, where had had one huge game we all remember hearing about, while averaging 11.2 points on the season. The Darnell Dodson news front has been rather quiet in the past few months, but his name resurfaced tonight when he was drafted as the 12th pick in the 4th round of the D-League Draft by Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

When you think about all of the guys Calipari has brought to Kentucky in the past few years, Dodson is really the only guy who comes to mind who never panned out at all.  He didn’t seem to have the motor that most Calipari players either arrive with, or leave with after a season under their belt. Best of luck to Dodson and the Mad Ants in the upcoming season.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

9 Comments for Darnell Dodson is a Mad Ant!

1. Don't forget!
    9:39 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

There was also that one guy who’s father made him transfer, or so I heard.. hold on, let me google him.. Stacey Poole.

2. Brad
    10:13 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

Wasn’t Dodson a leftover BCG recruit? (Admittedly might have that one totally wrong.)

3. Greg
    10:17 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

Yeah Poole didn’t exactly shine, hopefully he will do well arguably tech with his bro. Eloy never contributed either but he did have a great attitude and I feel had a positive contribution on the team. Jon hood is really gillespies guy and as a ky kid I sure wish he could get to the point where he could come off the bench and contribute on a regular basis. I really don’t understand how hood was so highly rated, he looks to be on par with Jared Polson. He really did score in hs though. For the record that’s no nock on Polson, he is a talented walk on that could have played d-1 and contributed as a scholarship player at a smaller school(chose to walk on over scholly to liberty). After that whole ramble I still would agree that Dodson is in a category of flame out to himself, Poole with his late night accident prior to leaving would be the only other to come close.

4. Greg
    10:18 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

2. Dodson def came with cal,he was orig committed to memphis

5. Mr. Peanut
    10:25 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

Dude has swelled on his weed?

6. Rae
    11:08 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

3. Since you mentioned our bench, it reminds me that Cal wasn’t a star player either. I wonder if, sitting on our bench right now, we are witnessing the beginning of the next John Calipari. Being an out of the spotlight player might give Hood or Polson the chance to really observe coaching and recruiting on an elite level. It’s like having a coaching internship. Plus Cal has all these connections. If these boys are smart, they might try to use the position they are in to be a different kind of star someday.

7. Catinthahat
    11:35 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

#6….wow….hmmmm very interesting!….very good comment

8. Dorm
    11:38 pm November 2, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget, Dodson was better than Stacey Poole haha

9. psychoterapie praha
    7:20 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

This is some of the best material I’ve read in a long time. You’ve really hit on some solid points in my opinion. I agree with you. Don’t quit rolling out great content like this.