Daniel Orton back with the Thunder

The Oklahoma City Thunder will bring back previously waved Daniel Orton to fill one of the two roster spots left open by the James Harden trade. Orton, an Oklahoma City native, is excited to re-join his twin brother Russell Westbrook with the defending Western Conference Champions.

That puts UK at 21 current NBA players.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Daniel Orton back with the Thunder

1. Pu
    10:23 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Am I wrong for being disappointed about this?

2. Wow
    10:24 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Huge news, Drew. Must be a busy day at KSR today.

3. Big Daddy
    10:25 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

“Daniel come back.” “I can’t m%@^#%$^&#^!”

4. uk3k
    10:26 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

@1 He still played for the Cats. Show a little support.

5. Owen
    10:26 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Well, as bad as Orton is, he’s still not as bad as Hasheem Thabeet.

6. Feezie
    10:30 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Daniel Orton? Never heard of him.

7. MemphisCat
    10:30 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I’m happy for Orton, regardless of what he did, he is still a past UK player. I think if he had to do it over again, he would have made a different choice. I think other players see what happened to him and know they should not do the same thing.

8. Bob Loblaw
    10:31 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Nope, still 20 UK players….

9. Bluecalizone
    10:31 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Still would like to see this kid make it, though he probably won’t. He’s the personification of greed and poor judgement, well I guess him and his dad. Instant gradification I’m sure would be tempting, but it seemed that he and his father were the only 2 people in the world who couldn’t see that he was 3 years away from being ready for the next step. And to many on here who said there was no way to go wrong by taking a NBA contract,,,,,Wrong. I fear he’ll be out of options within 5 years. Under 2 or 3 more years of Cal’s preperation, he’d of had a much greater chance of long term success.

10. Pu
    10:39 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

4) I support former Cats that at least acted like they wanted to be here. I count Kanter before Orton, and Kanter never played in a single game. Orton is a DB and I won’t be supporting him at all. But thanks, anyway…

11. TN Cat
    10:40 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Too bad we couldn’t find a fax for him like we did Randolph Morris.

12. Maverick
    10:45 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think Orton and his dad were the only people thinking he should go pro. We all know that Cal will tell a kid to go if he thinks he will be a first rounder. The only problem I have with Orton is that he did not finish his classes. I would have left for the money as well. Especially with his history of knee problems.

13. Bluegrass79
    10:53 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

They really do look like twins. Its uncanny

14. CatScratchFever
    10:53 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

That is most definitely Russell Westbrook in the picture on the right.

15. Vince
    11:04 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

14 – Or is it?

16. Rock Or Something
    11:10 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

They don’t all look alike

17. Well...
    11:12 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I think Orton made a logical choice. Here’s a guy with knee issues; if I think I can get first-round money, I’d take it over the chance that I’d hurt my further draft position with another knee injury. He may have been a jerk, but I can’t fault him here.

18. Jordan
    11:46 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I never knew you.

19. RaleighCat
    11:48 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I met Daniel Orton two weeks ago on a Sunday evening when I was in OKC for business. He was extremely polite, humble and engaging. Smiled the entire time we talked about UK. Told me that Liggins was busting his butt to make the Thunder’s roster (which he did).

Orton did what he needed to given his knee issues. I don’t like that left early for selfish reasons- or that he didn’t finish his school work- but he was an 18 year old kid being advised by his family. He signed with Orlando and almsot immediately needed knee surgery. He likely would’ve needed it had he stayed and hurt his draft prospects.

Great news for Orton and our program. No reason we fans can’t call a truce with Orton and wish him well.

20. barn
    12:00 pm October 31, 2012 Permalink

dirk nowitzki said UK, who recruited him, would have been his choice if he had decided to play college ball. he respects bbn more than orton

21. best1978
    1:18 pm October 31, 2012 Permalink

No problem with going pro if you go to class.

22. bballdoc
    1:29 pm October 31, 2012 Permalink

I like what #19 writes. Yes the kid should have finished the semester classes at UK. Besides that, he didn’t do anything wrong. Taking a first round NBA draftee paycheck is not doing something wrong.

23. chipanzy
    1:29 pm October 31, 2012 Permalink

waived

24. RDAY
    3:03 pm October 31, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe our fans can’t seem to find it in their hearts to cut this guy a break. His MOTHER died during his SR. year. You know, the same Sr. year that he sat out entirely due to injury!!! He was a 18 year-old child that was doing what the people around him (father) told him to do. Have some damn compassion. He was a good person and all anyone can talk about is what bad things he did. It’s really put us in a bind, hasn’t it?