DanceBlue Wants Notes from Cal’s Press Conference

What is DanceBlue?

It’s the all-encompassing name attributed to the student-lead effort to provide for emotional support and research for children and families treated at the UK Pediatric Oncology Clinic. It enlists the support of many student organizations and teams of students across UK’s campus, who participate by personal fundraising, attending several fundraising events throughout the year as well as spending quality time with the families effected with cancer through the Adopt-a-Family Program. It culminates in the spring with a 24-hour, no sleeping, no sitting, Dance Marathon.

DanceBlue starts TONIGHT at 8 p.m., so go down to Memorial Coliseum to give your support. If you can’t go watch them shake it for a good cause, click here to make an online donation.

Now, some notes from today’s media session with Cal and the players:

— What does Cal think when he hears tomorrow’s game is the “biggest game” left on UK’s schedule? He laughs. “The biggest game is always the next game.” …Still. It’s a big game.

— Cal also downplayed the notion that the Cats have to improve their tournament resume as soon as possible, pointing out that the Selection Committee uses a bell curve to decide who’s in and who’s out of the Tournament, meaning isn’t how good you are, it’s whether or not you’re one of the best 68 teams in the country. With college basketball down this season, there are a lot of borderline teams: “There may be 20 teams from this year that would not have gotten in last year.”

— Regardless, the Cats don’t have any excuses left for poor play: “We have no excuses, no cop-outs. No one wants to hear it. Play. We have an opportunity. We have enough. We’re a good enough team.”

— Cal praised Missouri’s Phil Pressey, calling him both effective and efficient: “He’s a great player. He’s really effective and efficient, doesn’t turn it over that much, goes in that lane and find people. He can score it when he needs to, but his whole thing is, ‘I’m going to get in here — I’ll drive baseline and hit that corner; I’ll drive right and throw it over my left shoulder and hit a guy on the weak side for a three.’ Defensively, if you’re lazy or loose or cute with the ball, he’s taking the ball from you. He’s just taking it from you.”

— However, he’s got faith in his own guards: “Yeah, I think our guards will be fine. It’s just a challenge. And then it’s a challenge for him to stay in front of our guards — if the court’s open and they want to attack and play. There’s no excuse now. The court’s open, get by him. He’s getting by you, get by him. He’s putting you in pick and rolls, put him in pick and rolls.”

— What else does Missouri do well? Rebound: “This team attacks the glass. If we ball-watch, you get beat. You have no chance of beating them. If you don’t physically check out, if you’re ball-watching, they’re sending three. If you’re not down in a stance ready to play, they got two or three guys that can break you down on the dribble, not just their point. If you’re not physical on the post, you’re going to get chucked. You’d better be down and ready.”

— The much balleyhooed wiffle ball game might not actually happen! Cal said that the team may do something after tonight’s walkthrough, but he hasn’t decided what. “We won’t go bowling, I’ll promise you that.” But you’ve got so many bowling shirts!

— Count Archie Goodwin among those that think Ryan Harrow can hold his own against Pressey tomorrow night. In fact, Goodwin says that Harrow is better than Pressey and when plays with confidence, Harrow is “the best point guard in the country.”

#BeatMizzou

18 Comments for DanceBlue Wants Notes from Cal’s Press Conference

1. BravoBigBlue
    4:06 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Which is it? “Uncoachable” or “they will be fine”? I think Cats fans may be more in tune to reality than Cal is on this bunch.

2. RealCatsFan
    4:28 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Well, I was all ready to go and make an online donation, but the link is broken! Can you fix this for us, Mrs. Thompson?

Any cause that helps kids with cancer is A-OK in my book. Nothing in life is more unfair. I am taking part in a kids cancer fundraising effort myself next month. For all Cats fans who want to double their generosity, make a donation to Team Skylar, and put “GO CATS” on the line for “In Honor Of”, and I will match your donation!

3. Roland
    4:31 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Don’t hear much chatter about the “dribble drive” this year.
    Is that old hat or this team has not learned it?

4. Exit Stage Right
    4:35 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Thanks much for your compelling comments #’s 1 and 3. We appreciate your participation-please don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

5. SOStoked
    4:40 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Super pumped about tomorrow!! I kinda like the feeling I have before every game. Its a huge rush!

6. BravoBigBlue
    4:42 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

4 – You are such a good fan, bless your heart. You get a trophy for your participation!!! Are you happy now?

7. Roland
    4:43 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

That comment “uncoachable” by Cal is just (like many fans) a frustrated comment in the heat of a game or practise.

I think it might say, Cal is part of the BBN.

When the blood pressure recedes, better comments from the Coach prevails.

8. BravoBigBlue
    4:48 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Roland – Many times, words spoken in frustration, or even drunkenness, are brutally honest. I’m not faulting Cal for speaking them. In fact, I’d have to say there’s a lot of truth in that. I’d also say that Sean Woods (who was vilified by a lot of Cats fans for his early season remarks)was also speaking the truth. In any case, go Cats, right?

9. Roland
    4:48 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

4, SnagglePuss, is that you?
    I always loved your “stage left” exit.
    Deputy Dawg says “Hi”

10. Rural Juror
    4:52 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Thanks TT for the DanceBlue mention! Here’s the correct link to donate online: http://www.danceblue.org/Donate

11. Roland
    5:05 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Who ever at espeen thought that this
    Sat game with Missouri was Prime time event was
    Dead ON.

12. Roland
    5:14 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin might not want to “hold his own” and play like everyone knows he can.

13. UK Freshmen
    5:17 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Did Cal speak about his own coaching short comings with this team? Or did he just talk about the phenomenal 17 yr olds he’s recruiting?

14. AbbyNormal
    5:38 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Why don’t you just go away UK freshmen. Everyone knows your bull shit-it’s not even original anymore. snoozefest

15. Hugh Jardon
    6:21 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Matt, for the love of God and Jesus Christ our savior, please stop letting Mrs. Tyler Thompson post so many blogs in one day. They are insufferable.

16. Roland
    7:09 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

If you don’t like Mrs TT, It looks like this weekend will be up your Ally (like in Tucker).

17. Class
    7:42 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Why did Dance Blue have to be the same day as GameDay? πŸ™
    I may not be able to Dance this year, but I can surely donate!
    Good job guys! πŸ™‚