Dana O’neil Defends Her Blatant Double Standard

oneil

Props to Chris firstly for calling Dana out in her ESPN chat and secondly for using the ‘bet you won’t post this’ tactic that works so well on KSR liveblogs.  If the question was a top 5 Dana O’neil Double Standards, I’d be tempted to say Chris is our very own Chris Thomas.

As far as Dana’s response, she’s right, the rule is inane.  The double standard comes when she chooses to go to bat for Coach K, but not for any of the other coaches.  Or against any other inane rules in the rulebook, of which there are many.  It’s not like she hasn’t had the chance to address the topic this summer, there have been approximately a million instances of inane NCAA rules coming to the forefront the past few months.

To be fair, I wouldn’t expect a scathing piece from Dana if Calipari had committed the same actions Coach K did.  But you can bet she would have found a way to work a barb into her next UK piece.  And that?  That’s a double standard my friends.

Article written by Will Lentz

32 Comments for Dana O’neil Defends Her Blatant Double Standard

1. Helvete
    8:07 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

Where was the scathing piece when the NCAA flipped out on Cal and UK over the 500 win thing? Isn’t that even more “inane” than this?

2. Mark Hamilton
    8:19 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

GIVE ME DANA O’NEIL’S FACEBOOK LINK!!!

3. Pat Forde
    8:22 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

I don’t see what she said that’s so inane!

4. The Truth
    8:25 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

When Coach K has shady people like World Wide Wes hanging around his program, the NCAA and the rest of college basketball will care. Cal was nothing (4 NIT’s at Memphis) before WWW started helping him purchase players.

5. bluebayou
    8:27 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

um Coach K does hang around World Wide West as do many other coaches

6. Sexington
    8:30 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

Is alright if I use the c-word when talking about her?

7. bluebayou
    8:31 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

*Wes

8. TheTruth
    8:32 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

I’m a butthurt tard. My ghetto commuter school has been on probation twice since the mid 90s. And we haven’t sniffed a NCAA title since 1986 when we cheated and used prop 48 morons. UK owns us and our coach bags bimbos on restaurant tables. L yes

9. Duke Fan
    8:34 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

8) I’m a Duke fan Fuk face.

10. Thamel
    8:34 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

So are you saying that Calipari broke said rule? I’m on it.

11. UK owns loserville
    8:40 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

These are great times to be a Cat fan. Cal owns Ricky 3 stacks, and tard fans are suicidal. Hahahaha

12. Stud Studerson
    8:42 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

13. tdogg4033011
    8:45 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

12) not funny

14. tdr76
    9:03 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

A rule is a rule, it was for Kanter and it is for coach k. The ncaa must act to save face.

15. Gillespie's Tab
    9:08 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

#9..hey Duke fan…Myron Piggy

16. Hey Dook Fan
    9:09 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

#9…Myron Piggy, Corey Maggette

17. DukeFan
    9:37 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

Your superior fan is here. We have won multiple titles since your sorry [email protected] squad won a ring. You have a coach who has multiple vacated final fours (will have a third one soon). He needs his pimp (WWW) to hand deliver recruits thorugh shady tactics in order to win. He was a sorry coach at Memphis until Wes pimped out Cal and the real teams bolted from CUSA. He had players start a riot during a game (while at memphis) and did not suspend them. He had a player punch a woman in the face and did nothing about it. Cops raided players apertments and found gold chaind and mink coats (gee wonder how the got those). He kicked a kid off the team three times (the final one for good) but brought him back because his starting pg had a season ending injury. He got Bledsoe eligible, even though he cannot read. Wes had Derick Rose take his SAT out of town (wes’s home town) and Cal knew nothing about it. Knight’s mom got a nice job last year and it was on the up and up. Cousin’s mom and brother were provided a home on a golf course in Lexington. They left in the middle of the night when it was about to come out. Yeah, Cal is a real class guy. All you hicks can point to is one Duke player doing something wrong. Your coach should be in prison.

18. Hoss
    10:10 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

Damn the jealousy.

The white supremest board is that way —–>

All I know is that I thank God everyday that my wife doesn’t look like one of those Adam’s apple donors that Duke University calls female students. Gee-zus and boy howdy do you lot grow ’em ugly down that way, eh?. Hey, son, venture off campus and go get laid by something that doesn’t conjure up a description containing the word “matronly” in it and you’ll start to let go of some of that anger and jealousy.

7 > 4, even at Duke.

19. Hoss
    10:14 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

#17- you have a call holding on line 2. It’s American Express… something about you’re a cherry-picking hypocrite. I’ll put you through.

20. anthonyeppsdrivingschool

10:23 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

24. Perennial Cakewalk Bracket
    10:24 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

Yep. Multiple.

25. kyrobman
    10:31 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

4) I want to tell you this from the bottom of my heart, and I mean this when I say it. YOU ARE AN IDIOT, why do you get on here and blast Cal all the time? It is pointless, I try not to say anything to stupid people because I feel sorry for them. But I think you are to stupid to know you are an idiot. I mean this as nice as possible.

26. kyrobman
    10:32 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

17) What I said applies to you also (25)

27. DukeFan
    10:52 pm August 3, 2011 Permalink

25) too not to, you simpleton. Better get to bed, I’m sure your factory job starts early. Go punch that time clock.

28. Someone of Consequence
    12:09 am August 4, 2011 Permalink

@27, Are you pimping your superior Duke education with that slap at the working man during a recession sporting 10% unemployment? Wow. One can only assume they teach that sort of separatist pomp at DU b/c I know your Presbyterian mama didn’t raise you that way. This assumption, of course, is based on the sheer number of you Duke back-slappers who choose to eventually default to that defense in most athletic debates. In fact, it’s almost becoming as cliche as a pigeonholed Vandy fan succinctly replying, “Paycheck”, before retreating to the oblivion of his empty trophy case. Regardless, if you are trying to ride high on your ego and over-priced degree, the joke, as they say, is on you, Jack.

The wonderful gentleman known as Matt Jones (owner/operator of KSR, the blog on which you happen to currently find yourself) just happens to be a Duke Law grad. Now, if he is any indication, a Duke Law degree will get you the best damned UK sports site in the business.

Go back to the bathroom mirror and practice your smack like a big boy.

Oh yeah… Kiss the rings, bitch.

29. KENTUCKY FAN
    12:46 am August 4, 2011 Permalink

To the Dookie fan. Since you find it necessary to correct grammar in our posts, let’s take a look at yours. It is through not thorugh. I am sure you meant chains and not chaind, and it is King Ding-a-ling to you not Cal.

30. JEREMY
    9:12 am August 4, 2011 Permalink

#27, probably didnt even go to duke and is a bandwagon fan just like the rest of the dukies since they were nothing before the 90’s. Probably some lil computer geek,stays up all night playing on the computer. And watches one duke game a season, but is a “fan”… Typical duke fan!

31. Don'tBeHatin
    1:19 pm August 4, 2011 Permalink

17) Thank you for giving us the joy to see that you hate our program so much that you spend time reading and posting on our site. #anthonydavissaysshutup

32. Hambone McNeely
    12:01 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

bump so I can read the word press goodness.