Dan Issel joins the Ryan Lemond Show (Tuesday Show Thread)

pRFHH.AuSt.79

The boys are headed back from Bridgeport, Connecticut, so Ryan Lemond is holding down the fort in Lexington. Joining him is UK legend Dan Issel, whose likeness will grace the label of this year’s commemorative Maker’s Mark Keeneland bottle. Tune in to hear Ryan and Dan talk about the Cats, while Matt calls in from the road. Hopefully Drew Franklin won’t be snoring in the background.

Today’s topics include:

— Willie staying

— Archie going

— Alex and Nerlens still deciding

— UK Hoops falls in the Elite Eight

— Much more…

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

82 Comments for Dan Issel joins the Ryan Lemond Show (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. DrSayre
    9:55 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

1 year ago today, Kentucky won its 8th National Championship! I don’t know about anybody else, but I plan to enjoy this next week while we are still the National Champions before the NCAA will crown an Interim Champion next Monday. Here is the call by Tom Leach: http://soundcloud.com/ukimgnetwork/2011-12-kentucky-basketball-27

2. UK_JB
    9:55 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Tough break for the UK Hoops team last night.

3. Fake_TG_Thunder_Shuck
    9:56 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Spring game weather is looking great so far!

4. Fake_Bill_Bad_Lamb
    9:59 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

We have to beat Louisville tonight! That’s my point of view.

5. Daryl Dixon
    9:59 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

1 – “interim champion.” Love it. Bravo, sir, bravo.

6. bung
    10:01 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Issel, Pratt, and Casey…what group that was…

7. Cassady
    10:05 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

But yew didn’t slow doooooooown!

8. robuk
    10:05 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Mathew Mitchell is back to the drawing board.

9. Smart Person
    10:07 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Can Matt stop and pick up a Queen for me in Queens?

10. Sofa King True
    10:12 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

wait, matt blasted a radio station that let them use their space for a morning and is surprised it was awkward? hmmmmmmm wonder why.

11. robuk
    10:13 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I think if ul wins it all then Rick will retire.

12. LawrenceofCorbin
    10:13 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Did anyone else notice the “Matt Jones jabs” from the commentators at the MCD’s jamfest?

13. mr marcus
    10:14 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Somebody tell matt and the gang that there are faster ways to travel than cars!!!!

14. Daryl Dixon
    10:14 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Sympathy for u of lol should be a felonious offense.

15. ukfan45
    10:15 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Can Matt google what the hand signal and shocker means. You sound stupid.

16. J in Orlando
    10:15 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I think Poythress will declare today…there is just too high of a risk he could improve and his draft stock still fall.

17. BBN
    10:17 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I would rather play for UK than the D League. Archie, Alex, WCS, will be in the D League. Where will Purvis go?

18. Scooby Doo
    10:18 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is pushed out today to declare for draft after Aaron Gordon shocks eryone and picks UK…

19. BlueFins
    10:18 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Maybe if you would stop talking about UL and a broken leg then the rest of us, who have been doing a good job of avoiding UL talk, could continue on that path. KSR should really go back to the mantra that “Louisville doesn’t exist”.

20. Scott
    10:19 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I’m really curious now…Does Matt know what the “shocker” refferences?

21. This Is It...
    10:21 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

The heck with all this trivial stuff…Is the fb scrimmage this sat going to be open to the public…Come on Matt and Ryan find out something important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Bulldawg
    10:21 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I have watched a ton of games this year and overall the officiating has been atrocious!!!! The NCAA needs to institute a replay policy or something to take the games out of the referees hands. The kids should decide the games by playing within the rules. All the “no” traveling calls, no “hand check” calls, and the growing popularity of calling a “charge” (while flexing) has got to go. The game really needs to be cleaned up. The officiating was medocre at best this season and was hardly ever consistant. They would let things go one minute and call everything the next. Iam up for replacement refs on standbye when officials have blurry vision. What gives? Does anyone else feel the same way? Will officials ever be held accountable for a poor performance? GO CATS!!!!!

23. J in Orlando
    10:21 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

18 Gordon will pick UW or Oregon…I think the shock will be when he picks UW

24. BlueFins
    10:22 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I really don’t get the sympathy for UL because a kid got injured. Feel bad for the kid, not the team.

25. Fake_Allstate_Insurance
    10:22 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

You shouldn’t drive and do a radio show uncle matt.

26. J in Orlando
    10:24 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

22 The biggest problem is that the conferences employ the referees. There needs to be a national ref pool which can be dispatched regionally and performance reviewed yearly and quietly. Same for Football. Basically, Im tired of Doug Shows lol

27. Scott
    10:24 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope Brian Long appreciates Cal wishing him a happy birthday on twitter.

28. Daryl Dixon
    10:25 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

ugh

29. Scooby Doo
    10:25 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

My dad is up there watching the festivities. He told me you can see a GREAT bond being built between Wiggins and Randle. The two are inseperable…

30. Chicago Chris
    10:25 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I’d have no problem not opening that bottle. It just doesn’t look appetizing.

31. Daryl Dixon
    10:27 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

why do people have to keep rationalizing why u of lol winning the title is ok? IT’S NOT OK! EVER! NOT EVEN IN BIZZARRO WORLD!

32. Bulldawg
    10:29 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I hear ya J. I just wish they would do SOMETHING! I am glad I am not the only one to notice. GBB!!!!

33. Is this not KSR
    10:30 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Is there anything else that can be talked about on KSR other than *hit about a red team? Leave that to deener and vanetti

34. quickie
    10:30 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

When these girls aren’t forcing turnovers and making threes, they get spanked.

35. uk tim
    10:31 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

i see a pattern so far they have said one stay one leave on sunday on monday one leave one stay what will today be. so i wouldnt look into noel hasnt said anything yet

36. Bulldawg
    10:31 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

If loserville does not win the title this year, will they wait a few years and claim they won their 5th title on t-shirts in 2013 anyway?

37. BigBlueCPA
    10:32 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

UL fans hate to see us win it, but they have become accustomed to it as we have won 3 since they last won a title. UL winning a title is new for their fans and BBN, 27 years ago is a long time and most of us were not born or too young to remember. Don’t worry though, it will take them at least 27 more to win their 4th.

38. BlueFins
    10:33 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I know two teams from BE conference who would not be in the Final 4 if refs called fouls

39. rb
    10:37 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Ray. You said quick questions.

40. Scooby Doo
    10:37 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

USC – University of Smoking-hott Coaches wives

Ms. Kiffin
    Ms. Marcum-Enfield

41. Laker Cat 18
    10:38 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Cut him off.

42. CvilleWildcat
    10:39 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I actually hear it a lot from UK fans glad that some players are gone. I think it had to do with a lack of heart from some of the guys. Had they tried with everything they had I believe it would be a different story.

43. Bulldawg
    10:39 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

my phone makes those weird noises and drops calls several times a day. Sometimes it sounds really, really weird… anyone else?

44. NO1UNO
    10:39 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Don’t call Matt back…where’s Issel?

45. quickie
    10:40 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Poythress’ freshman season mirrored Mashburn’s.

46. big j dawg
    10:40 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Which is better for getting a job a la USC?– Being the head coach at a very small D-1 program or being an assistant at a top-tier D-1 program?

Does an assistant, other than taking over a program, have a lower ceiling of where they can go?

47. KingTut
    10:41 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Every time somebody gets on and tells facts that Matt doesn’t like, Matt flips out and runs the guy. Matt I love your show, but every time you do that it only goes to prove what your enemies say about you.

48. ukfan45
    10:43 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

UL hosted this year. UL played on their home court. Tenn played on their home court too.

49. JBazz
    10:44 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

The women don’t play their games in Rupp, so I bet Rupp could host a women’s regional and our team be allowed to play there.

50. stillHere
    10:45 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope the “He’s the Chris Brown of College Basketball” makes the rounds today

51. Dary Dixon
    10:46 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

who cares about gino cussing at girls. that’s what coaches do. however, if gino dropped a few “Catch U Next Tuesday”‘s in his tirates, well, now we have a problem. a very HILARIOUS problem.

52. UKfanFelicia
    10:46 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Did the last caller say Delta Dawn type of girl? Is there such a type I just thought that was a song title guess I’ll have to google it

53. DrSayre
    10:46 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I knew it was just a matter of time before Ryan started talking about “Big Butt Girls”

54. Linda Taylor
    10:47 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

47 – Maybe that’s how you look at it. I personally thought the guy wouldn’t shut up and wasn’t letting Matt get a word in edgewise. Matt needed to put a stop to him. It seems 39 & 41 felt the same way. If Matt let guys run their mouths like some other talk show hosts do I wouldn’t be able to listen to the show. I don’t listen to the other shows for that very reason. It’s terrible radio.

55. CvilleWildcat
    10:48 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Ryan, when someone talks fast in a song its usually called a rap song.

56. Linda Taylor
    10:49 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

52 – They are referring to Elena Delle Donne the 6’5″ player from Delaware.

57. jojo
    10:51 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Will Poythress’ 3 Point Shooting % go Down or up next year?

58. 45, no way! Mashburn’s freshman season was MUCH better. Inconsistent maybe, but much better than Poythress.

As for Gino cussing his team, I don’t like cussing, but if you criticize him for it you have to criticize all coaches who cuss (although granted some do a much “bluer” streak than others).

59. bung
    10:52 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

we need Hood…he can play the 2, 3, or 4. And he isn’t a freshman…

60. quickie
    10:53 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky needs Poythress and Poythress needs Kentucky.

61. jojo
    10:54 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Who will be more of a team 1st player, Wiggins or Gordon?

62. quickie
    10:54 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I assume a delay is causing Matt to talk over people.

63. quickie
    10:59 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Why in the world did Matt drive instead of fly?

64. big j dawg
    11:00 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

who is the lockdown defender on next years team?

65. Linda Taylor
    11:03 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

63 – Probably cheaper to drive 4 people to Connecticut than fly them all and then rent a car, plus Matt doesn’t like flying.

66. CommonwealthCat
    11:03 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Does Matt really think that the fans who post on message boards are really that different than the fans who listen to KSR? Ryan said he didn’t know anybody who posts on message boards, yet Matt Jones does indeed post on them.

67. brain
    11:04 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Tell the Horse Mr. Ed says hay.

68. rb
    11:06 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

54 You are so right.

69. Real talk
    11:14 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

John calipari to Texas tech in 2020

70. DrSayre
    11:15 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

In before the first “Hey Dan! I have a quick story, you may not remember me, but back in 19…”

71. Taylor Swift
    11:22 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

@70… LOL.

72. J A Brooks
    11:24 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Just putting this out there…

I’ve got 2 extra tickets for the Spring Game. They’re great seats, front row, I have 4 total but we had 2 friends back out and I don’t want them to be wasted.

Don’t just take them if you already have tickets I’d rather they go to someone who hasn’t got tickets and I may not be able to go either so I might have 4 tickets coming available but there’s 2 for sure.

73. Taylor Swift
    11:28 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

I talked to my brothers husband, Miley, and she said that “those in the know” heard the garbage man of Gordon’s mother relaying a story he overheard between the God-Parents of Gordon’s best friends 5 year old sister, that Wiggins was going to be a Wildcat.

74. KA in CO
    11:29 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Does Dan still live in Denver?

75. J A Brooks
    11:30 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

64) As of now Aaron Gordon is the best defender we have coming in perimeter wise.

I’ve read that Andrew is a very fierce defender but tends to let offense woes affect is defense intensity.

I’ve heard James Young is not a great defender but its hard to know it CANT guard and who just DOESNT guard at the high school level

Marcus Lee is a great defender and has incredible length but he’s not a big body so he may get pushed around a little but he’s quick and athletic enough to come out and guard SFs and against stretch 4’s or undersized 4’s he should really be able to lock them down.

Randle is no slouch on Defense though and takes it very seriusly. He took the challenge of guarding Wiggins both times they played, and did about as well is you can against that monster.

Dakari is good againt traditional bigs but he’s not going to change a lot of shots or lock anyone down, he’s just very good at using his weight to keep opposing centers from getting close to the rim.

Wiggins can really really lock people down though when he wants to and he can become our #1 stopper if we get him.

As of now Andrew would guard the PG and Aaron would guard the best wing with young taking the other wing unless its a 6’8 or 6’9 wing then Marcus Lee would probably come out and guard them. We’ll be much better on the ball then we were this year but the real question is how are teams going to match up with us because we’ll be a nightmare to guard on the break AND in the half court

76. J A Brooks
    11:32 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

64) 75)

That should read Aaron Harrison. I’ve got Aaron Gordon on the brain this morning

77. Oliver
    11:38 am April 2, 2013 Permalink

Ask Dan his thoughts about Pat Riley, a story about Coach Rupp, Memorial Coliseum when you beat UT in 1968, the loudest crowd ever.

78. Dan was on the first teams that I remember. I still remember the J’ville team that upset us in the NCAA unfortunately.

I have an ABA card that featured Dan, Gilmore & Dr. J (played for the VA Squires) on it. It was one of those cards that highlighted All-Stars from different teams or something like that.

I also USED to have an ABA ball that had mimeographed autographs of Dan & Gilmore. I wish I still had it! It’d be great to get Dan’s real autograph on it if I could!

79. 78 should say “features” and “It is one of those cards”. I was typing fast so some of that made it sound as if I don’t have the card any more, but I do!

I wish I had kept that ball instead of tossing it into the yard for the dog to play with back in the 70’s. Stupid me!!!

80. Bleed Blue
    1:08 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

who all will be at the SIGNING at Keeneland? Is it just ISSEL?

81. serdi
    2:25 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Is today’s show gonna be archived or whatever you call it so those of us who missed the Issel interview can listen?

82. Needs Podcast