Dan Dakich is a bully, and crazy

Former Indiana Hoosier and current radio host Dan Dakich and the Kentucky fan are like oil and water. He just seems to be one of those guys that the Big Blue Nation does not hold too dearly to its heart. He appeared on Kentucky Sports Radio in December 2011 around the time of the IU-UK game in Bloomington, and what Matt Jones had to say afterward about Dakitch painted a strange picture. It was his bizarrely defensive stance and ramblings about a possible upset in the game that really threw the show for a loop.

He worsened his terms with Kentucky fans after going on his own show last September, claiming he heard from a “reliable source” that 2014 decomitted Indiana recruit Trey Lyles took a visit to Lexington before officially re-opening the recruiting process during a dead period — an NCAA violation. Of course nothing came from it, and Lyles and his father dismissed the claims, calling it “ridiculous” and “dumb.”

Well, it seems Dakich has hit a new low. He has a habit of bashing media members on his show for a variety of reasons, all in a generalized form. But it is seems supremely ironic that he fails to realize that he too, is a member of the very group he so routinely pokes at, based on the fact he has his own radio program and has experience as a television commentator. The victim in this story was simply bringing that fact to the forefront.

Tony Adragna is a recent graduate of Indiana University’s Sports Communication program. He aspires to be in the sports broadcasting industry. He, like many Indiana Hoosier fans, enjoy Dakich’s commentary on the radio. Listening Wednesday afternoon, Dakich went on a tirade attacking the media, according to Adragna. Puzzled why this continues to happen, he tweeted the following.

A seemingly innocent comment, no? What’s more, he did not tweet @ Dakich, which might signal a higher degree of malicious intent, if that were the case. Regardless, Dakich took it the wrong way and he went off the deep end…

Wanting to clarify his original message, Adragna sent Dakich a well-written email that thoroughly expressed his intent.

Hey Dan,

I wasn’t bad-mouthing you on Twitter at all. I was just pointing out that you work for 1070 The Fan as an on-air personality and continue to generalize the word “media members.” There are so many different members of the media, yet it seemed to me that you generalized them all into one category, which I think you fall into.

However, with that said, I enjoy your show, I’m an avid listener, and I’ve recommended your show to multiple people over the course of the last couple of years. I, too, think there are members of the media that are absolute idiots, and I don’t think you fall into that category.

I appreciate you taking time to read my e-mail. I don’t really appreciate you letting all of DD-Nation know I’m just another unemployed college grad, but I set myself up for that one by tweeting it.

Take care.

All of the sudden, Dakich went full blown child mode.

Oddly enough, at the end of that segment, Dakich said “it’s exhausting, this media stuff…” seemingly admitting he is, in fact, involved in media. The controversy flared up on Twitter, and Dakich had more to say on his show regarding Adranga’s original tweet, including threatening the college grad’s career before it has even begun. It makes less and less sense the more it goes, and the weirdest thing has yet to come… Dakich has since invited Adranga to co-host his show next week.

So to summarize: Dakich took a minor bit of criticism the wrong way, calls out a kid and threatens his career, sees a blog post and backlash coming his way, and invites him on the show because he has “sack.”

Who knows if the invite is a backtrack move after being called out by fellow media members, or if it is even a move in good faith? To play devil’s advocate, perhaps Dakich is simply setting up a trap. Unfortunately, seeing how this entire situation transpired, you can’t put the latter past him.

Check out Adragna’s entire blog post to see the full timeline and hear more audio clips of Dakich embarrassing himself. It’s just beyond strange for Dakich to act so defensive at seemingly nothing.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

19 Comments for Dan Dakich is a bully, and crazy

1. PhilUK18
    6:29 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dakich is a moron. In other news, the sky is blue and it’s the year 2013.

2. the point is..
    6:30 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dakich loves the sack, bro.

3. wait for it
    6:35 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

not surprising. 1070 the fan, former home of idiot kent_sterling. they finally wised up and fired him. I’d say dakich is on the short list as well. They seem to attract less than stellar personalities.

4. Mc
    6:38 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dan Dakich scrambled is a dick hand. I’m not sure what that mean’s but I’m sure his has been used to hold many.

5. Digger Phelps
    6:48 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dakich likes sack? Sign me up!!

6. adolph oliver bush
    6:53 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Wow, who cares?

7. little bobby knight
    6:54 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

what’s Dakich’s e-mail?

8. Shawn
    7:18 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dan Dakich Is a freaking psycho. Only reason he has a show Is because people like a train wreck.

9. Mark Liptak
    8:06 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

What do you expect from a guy who grew up around Bobby Knight? Just another bitter IU buffoon.

Mark Liptak

10. Don't call me that
    8:10 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dan Jockitch is nothing but comedy.

11. Musehobo
    8:26 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Djockitch is a tool, but I don’t think this is that big a deal. I have no problem with him dissing the media, just cause he’s a part of it. MJ does this too. He may have been a tad sensitive with the reply tweets, but the dude was kinda dissing him. Sorry, but this isn’t even in the top 10 reasons Dan sucks.

12. Corey Nichols the 2nd?
    8:32 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

who the hell cares? why is this on here? why did you waste your time?

13. Frank
    8:40 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Eff, Dan Dickitch!

14. FurdTurgason
    8:49 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

IU fans hate him almost as much as we do. Strange but true.

15. Paula Deen
    10:58 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

what in the sam hell is this horseshit doin on this site. GTFO.
    I uhpowlagize fa that^

16. Kyle
    12:13 am June 29, 2013 Permalink

@11. Really so him threatening that guys career because he said that Dakich was a part of the media doesn’t seem bad to you. To me that’s everything that’s this kids livelihood because got all butt hurt when he called him out.

17. Dan
    10:18 am June 29, 2013 Permalink

This is the idiot that was on ESPN the other day that pissed me off so bad. Made the statement UK got beat by Indiana and cancelled the series because we didnt like getting beat. @sshole, he and Indiana can kiss our @ss,we didnt cancel the sries,we wanted to play on a nuetral court,nuetral courts usually show the best team anyway, dont they ?!!! So tell those chickenshits from Indiana lets go or go get screwed !

18. sgt.stadenko
    2:00 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

No surprise here really. What has Indiana done or given to our great country other than John Cougar Mellencamp and Larry Bird? I guess you could also include the Indy 500 to that list as well. Indiana folks are some of the biggest assholes in the entire country. Not to mention that it seems to be ground zero for fat girls with mustaches as well. Seriously, as soon as you cross that bridge from Louisville, its like you go back in time by 30 years. I hate the people of Indiana, their ugly bitches, their baskeball teams, their inability to bass fish with reasonable tackle, their jorts, etc. I can’t think of anything positive to say about Indiana or most of its inhabitants. Indiana can suck a fart out of my ass

19. J
    7:45 pm June 30, 2013 Permalink

Dan,
    Seriously, this is a young kid excited about this industry and working hard to be involved. I don’t think that he needs to be scolded, but assisted and mentored. Please be a stand-up guy and give him a break. I really don’t think he said anything wrong. Actually, he seems to know his stuff and might do a pretty good job out their broadcasting someday.
    Just remember, you were in his shoes at one time.
    J