Dale Brown compliments Cal

It’s not every day that a college coach compliments John Calipari (genuinely), but former LSU coach Dale Brown did just that in a recent conversation with Larry Vaught. When asked about Cal and the criticism he often faces from his colleagues, Brown said it’s a “bunch of baloney”:

“I think John (Calipari) has done a great job. I heard criticism that John invented the one-and-done. That’s a bunch of baloney. The NCAA invented it,” Brown said. “I would do the same thing as John if I was coaching today. Who wouldn’t? John does not get credit for player development and recruiting. He truly probably has the prestige program in the country now. UCLA has won 11 titles, but as far as fan knowledge, interest, power, it’s all Kentucky. Teams have to be wondering how we are ever going to beat them now.

Vaught reminded his readers that Brown had his own “players first” mentality during his coaching career, and that may be why he has a soft spot for Cal: “The best way to describe John is that it isn’t where or who he coaches, but why. John genuinely loves his players and he gets knocked for that.”

Similarly, Brown is also a vocal critic of the NCAA, calling them “an archaic institution that legislates against human dignity and practices monumental hypocrisy” in an interview with collegemagazine.com a few months back. So, consider him in Cal’s corner when it come to the critics, whom he would advise to “follow the guidance of Oscar Wilde who said, ‘Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.’” Further, Brown said those critics “better get used to him winning. This won’t be his last national title at Kentucky.

Preach it.

10 Comments for Dale Brown compliments Cal

1. Skat
    6:06 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Dale Brown has always been one of my favorite coaches. His interviews live or in print are always entertaining and on point. He has had many good things to say about Kentucky, even when he coached against us. He is a pragmatic philosopher who understands the NCAA bureaucracy only too well.

2. Ready 5
    6:07 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I would love to hear give bobby knight a good chewing.

3. Hazard Kidd-Katt
    6:11 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Well said #1, not many former opponent-coaches are so admired by the BBN as Coach Brown.

4. Oscar Meyer
    6:18 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

B-O-L-O-G-N-A

5. BravoBigBlue
    7:20 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Sort of a love hate relationship betwwen BBN and Dale Brown. I know he always admired and respected Kentucky and wanted to beat us so bad. But some of the stuff he pulled was just BS gamesmanship. And it didn’t work most of the time against the Cats. And what Kentucky fan can ever forget his and his team’s meltdown during the Cat’s 2nd half comeback. Epic!

6. RashaadCarruth'sGoldTooth
    7:21 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I’VE ALWAYS RESPECTED DALE BROWN…A TRUE COACHING LEGEND. VERY REFRESHING TO HEAR A FORMER RIVAL COACH HAVE NICE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT OUR COACH AND OUR PROGRAM. PERHAPS THAT FLAMMING A$$HOLE BOBBY KNIGHT COULD FOLLOW HIS LEAD.

7. RashaadCarruth'sGoldTooth
    7:23 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

SORRY *FLAMING A$$HOLE*

8. Furd Turgason
    7:37 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

He and Bob Knight had a huge feud at one time, but I think they patched things up. He was one of the first coaches to call out Knight for his BS.

9. Paratrooper
    8:00 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Considering the way UK fans treated Dale Brown and his players during the 70’s and 80’s this is noteworthy to say the least. Thank you, Coach Brown. Its an honor to have you say such nice things and in such a classy manner.

10. TheNewOriginal
    1:19 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

One of my favorite LSU – UK moments was when Pitino was yapping in Brown’s face after a technical foul. Brown tried to take a swing at Pitino, but was restrained by an assistant coach. Even though I was a UK fan, I had to laugh. “Welcome to the south, Coach Pitino.”