Dakari Johnson With the Quote of the Night

Yesterday the McDonald’s All-American Game announced it’s squads for the April matchup, and lo and behold, Kentucky got five of its six recruits on the rosters.  Ho hum.  But unlike the Jordan Brand Classic, which features Aaron Harrison as the only Kentucky commitment on the East team, the MDAAG decided to sequester Dakari Johnson all by himself on their East squad, putting the Harrisons, James Young, and Marcus Lee on the West.

Asked by SNY.tv why he thought that might be the case, Dakari gave the best answer I could have imagined: “I guess they didn’t want the world to see what all five of us could do on the court at the same time.”

While that might be true, they can’t hold it at bay forever.  Once the high school All-Star season is over, these guys will get to Kentucky and be able to show everybody what McDonald’s doesn’t want them to know.  I guess we should thank McDonald’s, though, for at least putting one Wildcat on a team with Andrew Wiggins, who will be making his decision shortly after the game in April.

Johnson had a few words about what it’ll be like to play against his future teammates, and what it will be like to see them off the court, too:

To compete against my future teammates will be interesting because I know we all like to compete but it should be fun and a great experience.  It will be good hanging around those guys because we will not only get to play with and against each other  on the court but we’ll get to hang out and know each other  off the court.  That will be cool.

And, because this week wouldn’t be complete without a little Nerlens speculation, what would it be like for Johnson to play with the elite shot blocker as a sophomore?  “[I]t would be cool to play with him if he decides to come, but ultimately that is up to him.”

How scary would that frontcourt be?  Throw in a hypothetical Willie Cauley-Stein, and you’ve essentially got an NBA rotation down low.

Good luck to the guys in the All-Star games.  And as the only Wildcat on a team with Andrew Wiggins, I hope we see more than just “Dakari: Elite Center,” and maybe a little bit of “Dakari: Elite Salesman.”  Either way, congratulations, and get it done.

Article written by Corey Nichols

16 Comments for Dakari Johnson With the Quote of the Night

1. Chattanooga Jimmie
    9:01 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Good morning BBN!

2. uk3k
    9:13 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I hope he gets his locker right next to wiggins and reminds him that he will be triple teamed at Florida St everytime he is on the floor.

3. JEREMY
    9:18 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

They only put ONE WILDCAT on Wiggin’s team and the rest on the other? Bet that wasn’t done by accident!hahaha

4. tom
    9:18 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Dakari will have plenty of room to move around in. Both Noel and Cauley-Stein will be NBA bound.

5. tom
    9:19 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

3. Jeremy, I think it was a FLorida State official who made out the lineups!

6. Strive for Nine
    9:22 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

7. Strive for Nine
    9:22 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

It’s like the WWE… on Raw before Wrestlemania you don’t have the actual fight, you have some sort of fight involving the wreslers in the main event as a preview\n\nI can’t wait to see all of them at Kentucky!

8. Han
    9:38 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

It’s basically impossible for Noel and WCS to return, still keep the LOIs of Lee and Johnson, and have all 4 on the squad. That would be 3 of the top 4 centers in 2 years, plus Lee, who’s a top 5 center now. The depth would be unimaginable. Somehow add Wiggins (and Randle) to the mix, and it would be the most talented team in history on paper, no doubt. But I don’t think even Cal could convince all those guys there’d be enough minutes to go around.

9. BurnerTurner5
    10:05 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Is it October yet?

10. UKSupporter76
    10:11 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I love his new MIO commercial. “We changed man bands to boy bands… We gotta change that back.”

11. Real talk
    10:15 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Human nature- modonna

12. the Big Dog
    10:46 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I still have hope that Cauley Stein will return next year. Noel’s injury may put him is position to be a star and show scouts that he is worthy of a higher draft status. It could also show them that he needs more time to develop. I like Johnson, but he is not an athletic center
    like Davis, Noel or Willy. In time, Johnson will be terrific.

13. bluefan
    11:02 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I refuse to get caught up in the hype that Nerlens may come back next year. I was one of those suckers who believed MKG when he got caught up in the moment and said he’d be back. Lol, No hard feelings and don’t blame the kid one bit but I was disappointed.
    But if Nerlens heals as well and quickly as I hope and pray that he does, we’ve seen the last of him in the blue and white. But it was great while it lasted and I wish him the very best.
    Funny that some folks say we can’t get attached to these one and dones. BBN (self included) manages to love them even when we get only a half-season.

14. Corey Nichols
    11:04 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

13 – It probably is best to prepare emotionally for Nerlens to be done at UK. We of course hope he recovers, but really for his own sake and not ours. I think you’re right to be cautious about all that “return” talk.

15. Bigblueyoda
    11:11 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Noel is gone can’t risk another injury in college. With his motor most expect quick recovery…Willie be silly if he goes pullin a d.orton has top 5 potential if he works his azz & returns

16. sampson
    12:41 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Cauley-Stein will no-doubt return… Unless he just goes insane with Noel out