Dakari Johnson Plays Last High School Game at 1 p.m.

dakari+johnson

Remember that time I said that Kentucky’s basketball season was over, and we were in that weird “between” phase?  Sorry, but that wasn’t entirely true.  With so many really, really, really, ridiculously talented players coming in next year, it’s fair to count the high school postseason and awards season as honorary UK basketball, right?

It’s for that reason that we should all check out ESPN at 1 to watch Dakari Johnson’s star continue to rise after his impressive McD’s performance earlier this week.  And yes, you read that right, not ESPNU, not ESPN3, not ESPN8: The Ocho.  Just regular old ESPN.  Big-time stage for a big-time player.

Dakari’s Montverde squad will tip off against St. Benedict’s out of New Jersey in the championship for the National High School Invitational.  The game is sandwiched between episodes of SportsCenter, and is a nice break in an otherwise slow Kentucky basketball day.  So enjoy watching the player that Jason Jordan referred to as a “MONSTER,” and imagine what he’ll be doing next year in Blue.

Go Montverde. Go Dakari. Go Cats.

Article written by Corey Nichols

14 Comments for Dakari Johnson Plays Last High School Game at 1 p.m.

1. crazycatfan
    12:38 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the Heads-Up!!!

2. Tom Jurich
    12:43 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Bwahahahahaha!

3. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    12:49 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait!

4. Miller
    12:58 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

People may not wanna hear this, but Dakari is already a more productive player then Willie Cauley Stein. Willie has all the upside in the world, but Dakari will help you win more games NOW. Can’t wait to have a steady low post scoring option next year.

5. dfsd
    1:14 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

i like to eat my own poop. dolphins.

6. Duke Sucks
    2:22 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

4) I think so too. I’ve watched him play about 5 times and he’s the perfect fit for our team next year. He does everything you need to win with out a ego. He’s used to playing with all-star caliber of players and seems fine with doing all the little things and scoring when it’s available. He’s showed in the tourney that he’s a winner.
    Him and Randle together will be scary next year, both are strong skilled with a mean streak. I don’t think you will see the rebounding problems we had this year. If someone scores on them next year they will have to earn it.

7. deputy323
    2:32 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

yeah at the 3 min mark Johnson bricks a free throw in a championship game—yes he will fit in at ky

8. coach O is our replacement
    2:41 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I really hope Coach O gets a head coaching job this year! I think if Cal was to leave Coach O would be the logical choice to replace him, if he can go somewhere else and prove himself. Hopefully Barnhart has learned threw the Joker fiasco that the CIW is the wrong way to go. Do what CM Newton did with Tubby identify who you want your next coach to be then use your contacts to help get him a HC job.
    Every job that Billy D and Tubby got was at the recommendation of CM. In Billy D case he got a job he considered a destination job Tubby got the experience he needed to hit the ground running at UK. I didn’t like Tubbys style at all but he was ready for the job. Let Coach O gain the experience and let some Mid Major use the leverage of having a UK coach trying to recruit for them a win win for everyone.
    if Cal was to try the NBA again we would be left holding the bag because as we seen at UCLA there isn’t any really top notch coaches out there right now. We not get started now to advance to program later.

9. theSkinny81
    2:41 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

7 – He just completed a 3-point play to help his team win in the final minute.

10. coach O is our replacement
    2:44 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

7)yeah at the the 1 minute mark he came up with a HUGE block and at the 30 sec. Mark he came up with a Huge put back to seal the deal yesturday. So, yeah I think he will fit in just fine go troll somewhere else you hack.

11. Duke Sucks
    2:57 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

9) by the way do you remember before the season started this year and you made a joke of Polson seeing any playing time tis year. I think you said to me,” and that is why you aren’t coaching UK because Polson would see the court”. I’ll accept my apology now. LOL

12. theSkinny81
    3:01 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

11 I guess I do owe ya one. lol. Man, I REALLY thought Harrow was gonna be better than that. Poythress too. Polson definitely earned his stripes.

13. Duke Sucks
    3:09 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Every UK team that has won a championship has had that one player who you knew was going to score when the team need it. It isn’t always the best player either. In 96 it was Delk, 98 it was Shepperd, last year it was Lamb. Who will that guy for us next year. One of the twins or Young who knows. I do think that is the thing we need to develope for next year if we are going to win it all. To be a champion you need someone to give the ball to when every think is going wrong to right the ship.
    I think Young will be that guy. He looks like the type of player who can score in a lot of different ways and is more then willing to take the shot. rchie tried this year but he just got out of control and hurt the team. That’s why I think if Lamb had comeback this NIT team could have been elite 8 at least. If Teague and Lamb both returned plus if Nerlens hadn’t got hurt UK could have very well been playing this weekend. So before the haters hate on Cal its not like he got lazy or anything he had the team put together to defend the title they just left to early.

14. Duke Sucks
    3:16 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I think we all thought Harrow would have done better but I knew from watching Polson in high school he was better then Beckham and was our best PG backup more by default then talent! To be honest I think Polson will need to play the same role next year. Even with all the all stars we are going to have we will still need him to play a soild backup for about 10 minutes a game in games that suit his skill set, against teams that don’t have a fast PG for him to guard. I do think he is light years better then Hawkins. Hawkins is slow ans to small to play Major D1 ball. At least Polson is 6’5 with experence.