Dakari Johnson not letting Willie or Nerlens affect his decision

The futures of Nerlens Noel and Willie Cauley-Stein will have little to no effect on Dakari Johnson’s chances of landing in Lexington.  The No. 1 center in the 2013 class told SNY.tv that he could still see himself wearing blue, even if Kentucky’s starting center position is spoken for next season.

“I talked to Coach Cal and it wouldn’t matter to me, even if they stayed they would push me harder in practice and I would just be better developed going against those guys every day,” he said.

Johnson’s final three is identical to Nerlens Noel’s from a year ago.  Like Noel, he’s down to Kentucky, Syracuse and Georgetown.  You can watch him ball Saturday on ESPN 2 against Simeon and Jabari Parker at 6:00 PM ET.

Johnson will be a Wildcat.  Write it down.  Stamp it.  Shave it into the back of your head.

(***Apparently the always fresh, never frozen Corey Nichols posted this at 9:00 a.m. while I was out shopping for shark sweatshirts.  I apologize for the regurgitation.***)

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Dakari Johnson not letting Willie or Nerlens affect his decision

1. David19
    6:42 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

I knew he would be a Cat one day, ever since I saw him as a freshman playing on MKG’s team.

2. Bleed Blue
    6:51 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

After talking to my guy, he told me Johnson will be a Cat. He also keeps telling me to not get to excited about Wiggins coming to UK, as of today. In recruiting everything can change from month to month, week to week, and even day to day, but he said that all signs are pointing to Wiggins going to FSU. He still think Gordon is 100% on board to join us, but with him not committing he said there is a chance he stays out west and then we would go after Randle. He also told me there is a chance that we get 3 of the 4 guys we are going after he said it would most likely be Gordon, Johnson, and Wiggins because Randle doesn’t want to play with Wiggins because he is afraid he would get way overshadowed.

3. MOTODOG
    7:01 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

Maybe its me, but this kid doesn’t appear to be what I expected. He’s strong for sure, and seems to have decent touch around the basket. But he seems, from everything I have found on him online, to be really un-athletic. It looks like he has the heaviest feet of all time. I guess, after seeing everyone Cal has brought in so far, I wasn’t expecting a 7 foot 275 pound slow guy who plays below the basket.

4. Brandon
    7:01 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

didn’t Corey write about this very thing 10 hours ago?

5. Dr. Tom
    7:16 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

I bet his cousin Tracy Morgan will be courtside at the game Saturday!!

6. Spenser
    7:25 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

Question for BBN…what if we miss out on the big two (Randle/Wiggins obviously) but get the other two (Gordon/Johnson)? Would anyone be devestated? Or is there absolutely no way we miss out on both Wiggins and Randle? It is interesting that this recruiting class could potentially bring in Gordon, Johnson, Lee, and Willis. With the possibility that WCS and Wiltjer both come back next year, UK would be stacked in the post.

7. brain
    7:33 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

8. Inside scoup
    7:47 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

ATTENTION UK FANS: WIGGINS IS NOT COMING HERE!!! Bet the farm on it!!!! Now, with that outta the way…. , Dakari Johnson looks to be a ” decent” player. He looks slow, and out of shape. He’s not 7′ foot. He’s maybe 6’9. He also looks like he can’t jump over a piece of reefer paper!! But… He is just a kid still. Cal will get him in shape. He could be a contributor. Even if we get this kid, I think Cal will add one more. Hopefully it’s Aaron Gordon!!! BBN 4life

9. dumbass
    8:23 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

8- u r a dumbass, I will not listen to someone who claims to have the SCOOP when they cant even spell it right.. I hate u

10. Bleed Blue
    8:28 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

Like I said as of today Wiggins is not coming to UK, but everything can change and with Cal anything is possible, but as of now Wiggins is not going to be at UK next year.

11. It'sapundumbass
    8:33 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

#9. You spell like your’re texting …. “U R A DUMBASS”!! Also, it’s CAN’T not cant …. Dumbass!! you don’t have to listen to what I post, but I suggest you look in the mirror dumbass before you try and call me out! I hate YOU dumbass!!!!

12. ??? HUH???
    8:54 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

11- how does one listen to a post? I think you mean read, and at this point in time, you sir, lose (and are a dumbass). I, too, hate you very much.

13. dumbass
    8:57 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

I was textin bro .. whats ur exuse?? P.s. ur not very smart

14. Lil c
    9:02 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

#12 is a dumbass

15. cards suck
    9:09 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

14-yeah you are

16. Bobbum man
    9:12 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

Bleed Blues source is Pat Forde

17. Miss Wildcat
    9:18 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

I am hoping that Wiggins and Randle end up in UK blue next season. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. Gordon would be great too!

18. James
    11:39 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

JR,DJ……=epic class.
    Wiggins would be great but cal wont be hurtin if he misses out on him.

19. G-unit
    11:57 pm January 3, 2013 Permalink

I love how y’all be dogging Dakari. Dakari is 6’11… I just saw him play live recently. He may look slow/un athletic and looks like he may play under the rim but he is recovering still from a broken ankle. His game is very Greg monroe-esque. Uses his body well and is an old school back to the basket player and a fantastic passer and rebounder. He has very great upside and more than likely would be a 2 year player. And the last time I checked Greg was tearing it up in the NBA. Dakari is a dying breed of player, a traditional low post big man. Most big men now are your super athletic guys that can handle the ball and are very versatile. That’s not this guy. He is a winded man with great moves on the block.

And any way you slice it UK will either land 2 top 10 players or one top 10 and the #12 player so quit complaining… Seems like people forget the days of tubby and Gillespie very quickly… Stop acting like spoiled brats and be grateful. Smh

20. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    2:00 am January 4, 2013 Permalink

#2 – Your guy/dad doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Gordon’s a 100% lock to come here if he doesn’t stay out west? Seriously? A 60% of the time, it works every time situation, I guess. And if we don’t get him we go after Randle? Seriously? Does your guy/dad even know how recruiting works? We’ve BEEN going after Randle. I guess the scholly offer wasn’t enough proof. Plus, I really believe Cal wants Randle more than Gordon anyways. Good god, man.

21. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    2:24 am January 4, 2013 Permalink

All his teef are shaped like home plates

22. Duke sucks
    6:10 am January 4, 2013 Permalink

This post acts like the futures of Noel and WCS are in flux and they are not. Noel is going pro and will hear his name called in the first 5 picks. He didn’t reclassify to get to UK a year earlier! WCS will be back next year. He’s not a projected lottery pick and most have him in the second round. He didn’t have the high rating out of high school Noel had to fall back on!
    For what ever reason the top 5 out of high school usually get drafted high in the draft regardless of how they do in college unless they have off-the court issues. It’s hard for a lower ranked player to move up a lot in the draft after only 1 year. Bledsoe being 1 of the few to do so.

23. Real talk