Dakari Johnson: “I’m going to win a national championship at Kentucky”

For Dakari Johnson, hopefully he ended his high school career the same way he will start his collegiate career: as a national champion. Johnson was a big part of his Montverde Academy team’s run to the NHSI championship this weekend. “I just didn’t want to lose,” Johnson told ESPN following the game. Johnson’s team had to make a huge comeback to win, down by as many as 16 in the second half. Johnson hit a big shot down the stretch, drawing a foul as well and then converting the free throw. Johnson finished with 18 points and 8 rebounds, while displaying an improved offensive skill set. Johnson looked great with the ball in his hands with his back to the basket, finishing on a variety of strong post moves.

Dakari Johnson’s parting words moments after winning a high school national championshio? “I’m going to win a national championship at Kentucky next year.”

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

48 Comments for Dakari Johnson: “I’m going to win a national championship at Kentucky”

1. Steve
    2:48 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

That made no sense. Hopefully he ends? You just said it was over. You mean start his collegiate career the same way he ended his high school?

2. Ted
    2:48 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Word.

3. David
    2:49 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I loved it.

4. Mattcat68
    2:50 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Congrats to Dakari! He was a huge part of that come back.

5. Ally Tucker
    2:50 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hey Steve, I fixed it. Relax. We’re all good here. Thanks for catching that.

6. Lets get it on
    2:51 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

When Dakari said “I will win a national championship at Kentucky next year”, I peed in my pants. Cold chills over came my body. Did I get excited—you bet. It was awesome, that kind of excitement is contagious. Fast fore=ward to next Tuesday and hope ANY team not named LOUISVILLE wins the games this weekend.

The CATS will rise back toi the top next YEAR> CATS CATS CATS

7. Dave
    2:53 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I love this kids unselfish play and attitude. He could have had the chance to hit the game winner bur didnt get the pass from the guard. However he loves to win and thats it. Next year should be 1 to remember guys, cant wait

8. Steve
    2:53 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I just got more relaxed. Thanks.

9. Dakari Championships
    2:57 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Not 1, Not 2, Not 3….

10. Ted
    2:58 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Word up. A town Down!

11. David
    2:59 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I <3 it. Live. Laugh. Love.

12. UK Fan From Wichita
    3:01 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Wichita State bout to SHOCK the world!!!!!!!!

13. Wild Blue
    3:03 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I already love this kid. Going to be a popular player for BBN.

14. gog8ors
    3:23 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

No mention in this article about the big second half by Kasey Hill that lead the comeback. Hill drew the defense and found the open teammate in the corner for the game winner. Hill finished with 19 points.

15. MemphisCat
    3:23 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

That is the mentality we need at UK, this was MKG’s attitude and I think Johnson, Randle, and the twins will will us to a lot of victories.

16. theSkinny81
    3:28 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

14 – Who the hell is Kasey Hill? Did they interview him after the game?

17. gog8ors
    3:30 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill put his team into position to win and was outstanding the entire tournament. He played consistently well to generate the conversation of who is the top point guard in the 2013 class. His ability to change speeds and directions in the open floor is at an elite level, while his court vision and passing skills make him a perfect point guard for an up-tempo system. He’ll be like a kid in a candy store when he gets to Gainesville and is surrounded by shooters.

18. lol
    3:33 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

18 – There is no conversation between analysts on Andrew Harrison vs. Kasey Hill. Andrew has always been ranked higher and has a much higher NBA ceiling.

19. jeff c
    3:33 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Changing topics for a second. Where can I find a link with the picture of the Louisville tshirt with championships circled that had OUR title from 96 circled? I need to prove it to some ppl.

20. Catlanta
    3:45 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill sucked. Dumb fouls, stupid shots, missed first 6 free throws

Dakari gotta work on his FTs. We will have 3 bigs who shoot under 50% on free throws next year in Dakari, WCS and Marcus Lee

21. rj
    3:52 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I heard that in louisville there going to throw Ali’s stuff out and make it the kevin ware center,also no more martin luther king blvd its kevin ware road. lance armstrong is coming out with a bracelett “ware strong” on what the hell, lets have the new pope nominate him for sainthood!

22. m
    3:54 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

He meant that too !!He said is with some power

23. crazycatfan
    4:06 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

6 – aGREE! Loved when he talked about Kentucky winning next year! SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. gog8ors
    4:07 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill had a bad first half but stepped up his game in the second half. Made his last 4 free throws down the stretch and lead his team. Hill is better at getting his teammates open looks than Andrew Harrison, who only looks for his brother. Andrew only ranked higher because he is taller. Calipari offered Hill before he offered the twins by the way. Hill told Calipari no thanks.

25. MacGruber
    4:12 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

25. K, whatever makes you feel better.

26. Cauts
    4:16 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Gog8ors… When have you ever been right about anything?

27. lol
    4:22 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

25 – Quit lying to yourself. Calipari told the twins that they were his top priority in the 2013 class as early as the summer of 2011, well before Hill committed to the Gators. Andrew Harrison has always been considered better.

28. bosshogg24
    4:24 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill did not tell Calipari no thanks, get the facts straight! Hill was a second option behind Andrew the # 1 point guard!

29. bosshogg24
    4:25 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Walker begged for an offer and Calipari did not offer!

30. lol
    4:30 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, even if the Hill story was true, it’s amazing how eager Donovan was to snatch up Walker after he begged all summer for a UK offer and didn’t receive one. He wants to be a Wildcat right now, not a Gator. Sadly for him, he just wasn’t good enough when we had Julius Randle in sight.

31. Tom Blevins
    4:38 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

1. Hopefully, it means Dakari Johnson will be at Kentucky more than one year. There are reasons why that would make sense. He sat out last year after transfering, and will graduate a year early. So he had only played two years of high school basketball. I thinkl he needs more than one year of college ball before he’s ready for the NBA. Against that, though, the NBA has shown a willingness to take other players who weren’t ready for the NBA, based on their preceived potential. DJ certainly has NBA potential. I though that the first time I ever saw him play, when he was a freshman at St. Patricks. Plus, he has had better high school coaching than the majority of players now in the NBA.

32. DTuck
    4:43 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill did play well down the stretch but was not outstanding the whole tournament. He had 2 1/2 bad game before that second half. Under 10 points per game with 12 assists and 10 turnovers before today in the previous 2 games. Russell and Johnson were the reason they even made it to the finals. Johnson averaged over 15 points and 12 rebounds for the 3 games.

33. cracka
    4:56 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

gog8ors said randle wasn’t coming to uk and that Texas and Florida were both ahead of us … pretty sure he said that at least 3 different times

34. Ally Tucker
    4:59 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

All you n ig gas is dolphins doe.

35. mudcreekmark
    5:13 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Well, I love these guys attitudes about winning it all next year but I’m afraid they are creating undue pressure on themselves. Its one thing if the media talks about it but when the players say it it is bulletin board material. They are even saying that they are going 40-0. I don’t see where all this talk is going to help anything but potentially hurt.

36. Oldblue
    5:22 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Truly a likeable young man.

37. FloridaTroll
    5:24 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Please talk basketball with me! I’m desparate! I am the only UF fan there is!

38. mashburnfan1
    5:47 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill had a good 4th quarter and thats it in the tourney. Starting today ha had about the same amount of turnovers as assist, yeah you want that from a pg. Today he started 1-7 from foul line from an top ranked pg. He had a couple stupid fouls on 3 pointers so safe to say Montverde won the tourney in spite of Hill. Johnson and Russell the Jr from Ky were the most consistent players for all 3 games.

39. Andrew Wiggins
    5:47 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I’m about to SHOCK the world, oh wait I’m not deciding til next year

40. Andrew Wiggins
    5:48 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

I’m about to SHOCK the world, I’m going to WAFFLE HOUSE

41. Bluekzu
    6:15 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

It’s kind of cute when Florida fans try to talk basketball..it’s still so new to them.

42. katzrjamers
    6:47 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

OK, can’t hold it back..I’m gonna cuss. dam”x” it, can’t wait till November. Well heck, I tried. Gonna have some cold weather fun this year, but tonight, here’ what I’m watching during timeouts:

that’s the CBS broadcast from ncaa uk vs ul final four. it’ll get me thru today.

43. brain
    6:57 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

UF tries to get the guys we pass on. We take the best and they try for the left overs. Hill can’t carry Harrison’s jock. He’s a showboat who’s got no discipline.

44. Duke Sucks
    7:35 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

25) I still remember you saying Bennett had already told Billy D he was going to Flordia, remember when you said that the Flordia players already knew they had him. Then it was Randle was going to Flordia or Texas but he had crossed UK off his list. Now are you really trying to tell some that Cal wanted Hill before the twins? Cal has been recruiting the twins for over 2 years before they committed and they where and always have been top priority!
    Hill would make a ok backup at UK I guess. You made a stupid play at the end of yesterday’s game and almost cost his team the win. Russell is by far a better player then Hill. If not for having great low post play on that team Hill would be just a OK player!

45. gog8ors
    7:59 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

Hill is a true pg, something that Andrew Harrison is not. I didn’t see the Doublemint twins playing for a national high school championship. Also, Dakari Johnson wouldn’t be ranked so high if he didn’t have Hill making him look good with feeding all those assists.

46. Duke Sucks
    8:41 pm April 6, 2013 Permalink

46) are you for real? Everybody knows that was a prep school tournament not a regular high school tournament like what the Harrison’s went to! How is Hill a true PG and the other isn’t. Sounds like you have case of runner up fever!!!!!
    From watching that tournament looks as though Russell was the true PG because he had to fix Hills screw ups. The kid from Prime Prep ate Hill up and he probably will be a cat too.

47. chitown
    3:39 am April 7, 2013 Permalink

want to win a championship? have a look at VCU preseason training…these kids give it their all. not to say that we have to emulate, but their desire is incredible….