Dakari Johnson and Andrew Harrison think they could beat Michael Jordan

High School Basketball: McDonald's All American Games

The Jordan Brand Classic is Saturday night (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2), which means most of Kentucky’s team is in New York enjoying the festivities. USA Today’s Jason Jordan keeps bringing us great material on the nation’s top talent, this time asking eight of the JBC All-Americans how they would do in a one-on-one matchup against Michael Jordan in his prime. Three players said they could beat Jordan: Duke’s Matt Jones and Kentucky’s Dakari Johnson and Andrew Harrison.

Andrew Harrison, Travis (Richmond, Texas), PG
Signed to: Kentucky
The Score: 11-7
The Victor: Harrison
The Why: “I think he’d get a couple buckets here and there, but then I’d start to lock him down and give him buckets. Yeah, I think I’d get him.”

Dakari Johnson, Montverde (Montverde, Fla.), C
Signed to: Kentucky
The Score: 11-10
The Victor: Johnson
The Why: “I’m taking him to the post every time. He’d stop me a couple of times, but I’d just keep going back down there. I’d just contest his jump shots and pray that he’d miss. I think in the end, I’d get him though. I’m too big down there.”

If you’ll remember, Jordan reportedly beat MKG in a one-on-one matchup recently, but come on…who’s not going to let their boss win?

69 Comments for Dakari Johnson and Andrew Harrison think they could beat Michael Jordan

1. Chuck
    12:01 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

MKG wouldn’t. Jordan doesn’t miss the fade-away and there is no way to stop it.

2. rixter
    12:01 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I knew when I read the title who the writer was. TT, you love to instigate arguments, don’t you?

3. LOL
    12:01 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

What a joke. Talk about a couple of idiots.

4. ole josh
    12:05 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

In all honesty I would like to see it. I would probably make a small bet on Jordan though

5. Delk for 3
    12:06 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Good answers by both of these kids. This clearly shows they believe in their games at the highest of levels. In reality, these kids are totally wrong about their chances vs. Jordan but I wouldn’t want them to think any differently.

6. uk3k_J
    12:06 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

dont you lousiville fans have something better to do then obcess over articles over a year old?

7. GapToothDanny
    12:06 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

They must only know MJ as the spokesman for Hanes lol.

8. ?????
    12:09 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Can someone tell me….did wiggins pick Kansas or what? What was said on the radio show?

9. b ra
    12:11 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Here come the Louisville fans.. I have already heard their mouths over it. I don’t think the kids were being serious but you gotta love the confidence

10. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    12:12 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

2 — I like to think of it as encouraging discussion.

11. Ryan
    12:13 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

8) no, he didn’t pick Kansas. Matt was told that AW took the 4 schools and ranked them based on his needs and wants for a school. Kansas was number 1 after that process, according to his source. That’s all.

12. rixter
    12:13 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

When do any of these kids attend class?

13. uk3k
    12:16 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

How about how they would do against Lebron. He is a way tougher matchup than Jordan.

14. capnmonkey
    12:17 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Dakari: “I’m too big down there.”

15. Reality
    12:18 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

12) They are just preparing for life as Wildcats, where 3.5’s will be handed out like candy.

16. Rooster
    12:19 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure they’re just saying this because they don’t want to be drafted by the Bobcats. Who could blame them?

17. Joe Blow
    12:21 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

They said they could do it while Jordan was in his prime, I just lost a lot of respect for those two. Dakari Johnson couldn’t beat Jordan at 50 or anyone 1 on 1 that’s faster than a tortoise for that matter. When you claim you could beat the greatest player of all time in high school than you’re stupid, UK commits or not, it’s called respect.

18. 30 years ago it would be different
    12:23 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

But Jordan is 50. FIFTY. Harrison would win. Johnson I’m 50/50 on.

19. watchinginCali
    12:26 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

@15) My wife and I were both TA’s at UK. Both of us had athletes, including basketball players in class. I resent the insinuation that we gave student athletes anything other than what they earned. Students (regardless of athletic ability) earn their grades. I think most people not involved in academia would be surprised how rarely these kids miss class at UK. I was asked to supply weekly reports to the academic support staff on attendance and performance. These kids work hard and have the most to lose by failing.

20. kool aid
    12:31 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

18 – it said Jordan in his prime.

And I’d second 19’s post. I taught there for a few years and had several athletes in class and never once got any pressure or bribes or anything about their grades.

21. Michael F. Jox
    12:31 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

#19 – I believe ya and everything, but what exactly do these kids have to lose by failing? A yr of basketball is the only thing I can think of. It’s not like the NBA’s gonna hold the fact that Andrew Harrison didn’t do well in school against him.

22. brain
    12:33 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

What they meant was they could beat MJ 2 on 1.

23. MN CAT
    12:33 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

If Andrew and Dakari are right, we really are going to be good this year.

24. Dusten
    12:38 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m honestly not certain that these kids weren’t certain. Maybe they don’t know what “prime” means, or maybe they didn’t even actually get that part specified. If Aaron Harrison really thinks that he could beat MICHAEL JORDAN in his PRIME one on one then I’m concerned. Johnson, I could see, maybe, with the size differential. But if Jordan could jump from the free throw line he could probably block Johnson.

25. Oh that's sad
    12:39 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Do these kids have learning disabilities of any kind
    Please tell me they didn’t say this… Those statement sound so dumb I
    Actually became Nauseous reading them… Wow
    My expectations for next year declined

26. M
    12:43 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. TT,
    You left the word “off” at the end of the subject.

27. Roland
    12:43 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

File those quotes under:
    Maybe, I shouldn’t have said that.

28. Al's IndiCats
    12:46 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

19), 15’s just jerk from either Iboo or Uvel who claim they do things right, like they never have any basketball players leave early for the NBA, you know like Zeller and Smith are doing now.

29. WildcatFan
    12:46 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I love these guys b/c they’re gonna be Kentucky players soon, BUT they are fools. End of story. #WHOWANTSANASSWHOOPIN

30. old man
    12:47 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

You all realize that these kids more than likely dont even remember Jordan as a player. They were not even born yet when the dream team were dominating everyone.

31. Mrs TT
    12:47 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Hey you might want to remove this post.

Both twins tweeted out how pissed they were about this article. It was taken out of context.

Take this down!

32. Oh Really?
    12:47 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Yes, #15; I’m sure you worked hard to earn your 3.5, right? Thus your sad state of mind…

33. Stop Reading
    12:49 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

#25-If reading makes you nauseated, perhaps you should stop. Sounding out the vowels must give you fits.

34. BLUE BLY
    12:52 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Do they drug test these kids or what???? Maybe a breathalizer??

35. UKBlue1!
    12:55 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

The next generation believes its better than the previous. In some cases, true but there are athletes that played 50-100 years ago that are better. Michael Jordan, Karem Abdul Jabbar and Julius Irving is the best of my generation. Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson of my fathers. Some say, Babe Ruth wouldn’t have done as well playing later time period. I disagree, they played mostly day baseball, he drank like a fish and hung out all night. Now a days, they have trainers and drug programs to deal with a lot his issues. Baseball played at night when it is a lot cooler. Planes are used instead of buses and trains.

36. Sgt. Stadenko
    12:56 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I like the young fellas “swag” as the younguns call it nowadays but they are fn delusional if they really believe what they are saying. The only way they would score is if jordan let them but if he is playing defense and doesn’t want them to score, they are not scoring.

37. Sgt. Stadenko
    12:58 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Almost forgot, it may take all three of them to stop jordan so one on one, he would turn these whippersnappers over his knee and teach them to respect their elders. None of these guys could stop MJ one on one

38. lonnieb
    12:58 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

@1
    jordan missed his fade quite frequently….he was not a great shotter at all until the second have of his career and he had lost a step athletically

I played college baseball and the kids go to class….they may not be smart and may not do as well as some of the others….but they go to class……we had 6 AM running the next day if anyone missed a class unexcused. I attented a Div I school and then transferred to a smaller Div II school and it was the same at both places……coach emphasized going to class Point blank PERIOD

39. Kevin C.
    1:01 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

As soon as these kids get to campus, Cal needs to issue a gag order, and lock down all Twitter accounts, or the media is going to have a field day with them next year. It was bad enough with WCS and Archie this year (particularly AFTER the season), but with all of these superstars on one team, their heads…and mouths…could become too big for Cal to coach them.

40. Big Blue Fan
    1:01 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson can also beat Jordan. Yahoo Article forgot to mention him

41. Michael F. Jox
    1:03 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

#38 – Really!? “Jordan is not he best ever……………..especially if we are just talking about pure basketball ability and not intangibles blah blah blah..” <—-this has to be one of the dumbest things I've saw in a while.

42. Grammar King
    1:08 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know why everyone is giving these kids a hard time; it’s easy to see how they got confused. They assumed, being mathematically inclined, that the interviewer was referring to Jordan’s age at a prime number, and 2 being the first prime number, they quickly and correctly decided they could beat MJ when he was age 2.

43. WatchinginCali
    1:10 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

@21 – Most student athletes live with constant pressure to produce academically or lose their eligibility, their scholarship funding, and the public embarrassment of failure. The more high profile the player – the greater the pressure in my opinion. You might think that “one-and-done” basketball players don’t care about any of that – but I differ in that opinion.

44. mirv
    1:10 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

C’mon, this is a good thing they said that. It shows they have swagger.

What do you think Kobe would have said to this question in his youth?

The best players are the best because they refuse to let themselves be anything but that.

45. TheyCouldBeatHim
    1:10 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

At baseball.

46. Russ Smith
    1:13 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

I may not be leaving after all. Coach P said Im 50/50 now.

47. lonnieb
    1:13 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

@35
    You are not to intelligent if you think that players do not consistently get better as the world turns…..everybody is always bigger stronger faster as we learn through science to get more out of our bodies(have you not seen rocky IV…..joking but not really). The best of the best always get better….they may use drugs and supplements but again science has given us things to improve our ability whether we like the method or not.

A couple of examples……
    #1 Can you even imagine adrian peterson playing running back in the 70’s…it would literally be a video game…
    #2
    If you noticed your trend of players you named they are mostly big guys…..you know the average height of a big in the NBA in the 60-70’s is 6’3″….so yes a 7 footer has an easy time dominating. the average height is 6’7″ right now.
    #3
    Jordan was so great only because of exactly what you are arguing…he was ahead of his time athletically…people forget he was an average at best shooter until the middle of career and he relied completely on his athleticism……he had mark price, craig ehlo, byron russell, mitch richmond, and a bunch of scubs guarding him……Id like to see him play vs people of today who are his size and his athleticism as he would just be an above average athlete now and would not be close to the pinnacle or measuring stick for athletcism.

#4
    Tiger Woods…changed the game completely…golfers actually work out and everything now b/c of tiger

#5
    All olympic track and field records get broke literally almost every olmympics because people are always improving

People need to realize the best of the best always get better as time goes on

48. tuxedo park
    1:14 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

These kids are WAY too young to remember Jordan. They probably vaguely remember him from his stint for the Wizards when they were 7-8 years old. If they grew up with him like I did they’d know that no one is messign with Jordan before that second retirement.

49. TravisC
    1:14 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

If Andrew Harrison thinks he can beat Michael Jordan, what does he think he would do to Terry Rozier? Scary.

50. tuxedo park
    1:19 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

47. Jordan would be only “above average” athletically? Jordan and Dominique would still be Jordan and Dominique in 2013. You act like they would be James White these days! Jordan played against the best centers of all time, too. Don’t really know where you’re going with that height comment. Players may have only been slightly shorter in the 80’s and 90’s. Jordan wasn’t towering over many 2 guards. The issue is that now we have a lot of skinny tweener guys out there that don’t really have a position, which is to the detriment of the league. In those days you had your role.

51. ukwiseman
    1:23 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Don’t poke the bear!

52. lonnieb
    1:25 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

@41
    Name me one skill that Jordan had better than Lebron….dont say heart, desire, determination, drive to win…..etc…. I want an actual skill.
    More effective scorer (better FG and 3pointFG %)= Lebron
    Assists=Lebron
    Reb=Lebron
    Blocks= Lebron
    Steals= jordan
    Thats it bubba…..not to mention lebron can guard every position and to a certain extent play every position offensively, not to mention is not selfish onthe court and always makes the right basketball play…..I love and appreciate Jordan as well….but type in best shooting guards of the 90’s and look who jordan did it against laugh for a second and just think about how different it would be now…..Jordan was a game changer….but everyone knows someone will come along better they always do…its lebron right now whether you like it or not. It could be durant next if he ever buys in defensively as he has the best offensive skill set the NBA has ever seen and at his size he is unstoppable

53. Poker_good
    1:29 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

“I’m just too big down there”

Why are there no more jokes about this comment. I’m disappointed in you KSR comment section.

54. lonnieb
    1:32 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

@50
    Google top shooting guards of the 90’s……laugh for a minute then think of the people now

I never said he was james white…obviously he was ONE of the best ever…..but I think people overstate a lot of his other abilities besides his athleticism, which is what he used to dominate, which would be challenged every game now instead of having games were craig ehlo was guarding him

55. Michael F. Jox
    1:32 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

#47 – I didn’t list any players, or argue against evolution in athletes; I get all that. All I’m saying is, you’re nuts if you actually watched Jordan play and can’t say that that dude was the best thing you’ve ever seen. Using your argument, who’s better? Kobe? No, he’s basically Jordan, just not quite as good. And here we are 20 some yrs away from Jordan’s prime. You act as if Jordan played against non-talented midgets, when actually I remember him dunking on 7ft centers left & right. And like #50 said, some of the best of all time.

56. Michael F. Jox
    1:37 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

#54 – You know why Jordan’s better than Lebron – Cause when Lebron loses that explosiveness, he’s not gonna be near the player he is now. You said yourself Jordan adapted his game and became a better perimeter shooter once he did the same. Lebron’s a freak of an athlete, simple as that. If you’re talking strictly skill, Jordan’s got him beat, no question.

57. Too young
    1:40 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who thinks LeBron is a better basketball player and will continue to be as dominant once hes older is delusional and has not seen MJ play. LeBron is all-time great, but will struggle a lot more than Jordan and even Kobe did as their athleticism faded. 47 I’m convinced that you are no more than 15 years old.

58. DH
    1:41 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

That’s the difference between a UK recruit and a UL recruit. A UK recruit can beat MJ on the court. a UL recruit can only beat him off

59. BA
    1:45 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Lets be realistic folks….Jordan is the best thats ever played the game..period. No arguments…your opinion doesn’t matter. That is the truth.

I love our guys…and I love their confidence. As long as they win games next year they can believe whatever they want.

60. TN Cat
    1:46 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Even Chane Behanan thinks this is a dumb statement by these two kids.

61. Leon Claxton
    1:50 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Beat Robert Morris first.

62. Chanebehanan
    1:54 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

POINT. BLANK. PERIOD.

63. J in Orlando
    2:01 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

In todays game Jordan would absolutely dominate…when he played a defender could be very physical with his hands and forearms to keep an opponent in front of him…in today’s NBA would can’t make any contact with the player holding the ball…Jordan averaged 30 a game for a career while being the focal point of three defenders on the vast majority of possessions and when defenders could hold him back with their arms…can you imagine if they couldnt touch him at all? The comparison to todays players simply cant be made because the rules have made it a completely different game

64. Roland
    2:03 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

From here: MJ IS the Best to play the game “WHEN IT COUNTED.”
    not the greatest skilled player.

65. kelm
    2:22 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

When LeBron can finish in the clutch and when he wins 6 championchips, then people need to start comparing LeBron to Michael as the greatest ever. LeBron’s stats might be better right now, but STATS DON’T MEAN ANYTHING, it’s your legacy that matters in the end.
    LeBron=1 chip
    Jordan=6 chips
    Who would you rather have? Somebody who is the best, but can’t win or somebody who is consistent in finding ways to win when it matters

Think about that and then compare.

66. the Big Dog
    3:18 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

This article would have been better left unwritten. Why is it necessary to draw out all the fans to criticize or embarrass these young kids?

67. Simple
    4:19 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

Ah, the ambition of youth!

68. BPsycho
    4:25 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

#53 Just saw it and knew I would be too late! Haha

“He’d stop me a couple of times, but I’d just keep going back down there.”

That’s what she said.

Not really a priority to look at the comment sections anymore. THEY’RE DECEASED!

69. cracka
    6:31 pm April 11, 2013 Permalink

“I’d give him buckets” … they were clearly joking about this