Could this be the new Commonwealth Stadium?

newcommonwealth

Good morning from SEC Media Days! While trying to navigate Radio Row this morning, I stumbled into the Media Guides room and found Kentucky’s, the inside cover of which includes this “artist conception” of what Commonwealth Stadium may look like after the renovations.

What do you think?

42 Comments for Could this be the new Commonwealth Stadium?

1. ukfastcat
    12:54 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Jerry Tipton pointed out this morning that it’s not as big as Alabama, Florida, UT or LSU and a waste of money that could go to more deserving causes.

2. MadTex
    12:59 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Looks like crap to me!!

3. JF
    1:05 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Will they be selling the naming rights to Huge Ass Fans? Or maybe Guy on the Corner Tickets Commonwealth Stadium.

4. Horses
    1:10 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

No horses running free??

5. mike
    1:19 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

@1 Jerry Tipton had a tick crawl up his rectum when he was 10 years old and it has been there ever since. The “more deserving causes” that he is referring to is the removal of said tick.

6. bbmike
    1:22 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

To answer the ? It looks freaking awesome!

7. Hmmm
    1:24 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

If this drawing is accurate I feel like this misses the mark. It still looks like something that resembles an industrial yard shop rather than a building that would fit on a university campus. For examples of better exterior renovations check out Michigan, Alabama, and what is in progress at Tennessee.

8. BBN
    1:34 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

its ok…. but what matters is the inside: locker Rooms, seating, concourse, restrooms, and food areas…. make the out side pop and not so bland looking

9. UK employee
    1:39 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Just repave the parking lots please

10. stig1115
    1:41 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Definitely not impressed with that rendering.

11. Think bluegrass
    1:42 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

I don’t like it. I still like the idea of doing a limestone rock facade. I think that would look great.

12. Bobbum man
    1:43 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

You listed 3 traditional football powerhouses Tennessee being borderline, it boulder be surprising they’re going to have a nicer stadium

13. Bobbum man
    1:43 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

That’s @ 7

14. Think bluegrass
    1:46 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Plus the paint color is horrible. What is that egg shell beige, looks like the color of my hallway. If it has to be this design atleast PAINT THE DAMN THING BLUE AND WHITE.

15. John
    1:49 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Been to Alabama, UF and UT. Cant comment on LSU. Alabama’s is bland on outside, but blows you away when you get inside! UF is ok, its accros the road from basketball stadium and in middle of campus, but sucks on tailgating because everyone is parked on side of the road all through campus. Inside the swamp, it’s still outdated and felt like the thing would collapse at any minute. As for UT I HATE THAT PIECE OF JUNK STADIUM!! To do an “expansion” they scraped up seat numbers (bad job at that)…

16. Really?
    1:50 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Again, 100 million for this?

17. John
    1:52 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

… people didnt know if they were in seat 13 or 16! Small concourses and no lighting in tunnels! That is a garbage stadium! As for question. I like the look, as long as the inside amenities are better!

18. Football Man
    1:53 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

I agree w/7 Not Good Enough! Brick up the outside, bowl in the stadium. Long rectangle scoreboards that wrap each endzone, make it look like an impressive structure w/big iron gates that we can walk out of and say that team played like a bunch of wildcats today! Something to be proud of!

19. Football Man
    2:05 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

I think 11 is onto something…. Ky limestone is unique….. I wonder how many special ky proud ideas we could use to make a stadium special and unique to the bluegrass. If we have no tradition we need to start making some……i.e. horse and jockey lead team onto the field. Play blue moon of ky. Run thru power K. Ect…

20. Seven Eight Nine
    2:08 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

You guys are crazy. The stadium looks amazing. The architect responsible obviously knows what he is doing as the yellow/beige is hot right now. It looks very modern, students will love it.

21. CPACAT
    2:19 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Where are the Stormtroopers on Segways??

22. Think bluegrass
    2:21 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

20. For 110 million I think the architect is scamming UK. I don’t care what home and garden TV says about this color. It looks like a damn sandcastle. Would you rather play in a stadium nicknamed “The Rock” or “The Sand Castle”? Just hope it doesn’t rain.

23. Big Blue Coming At You
    2:53 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Looks bland. Needs more blue!

24. catlogic15
    3:25 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Keep and open mind on this. There is only so much money to spend. I’m going to assume the interior will be second to none, and that is where the majority of the money will be spent.

25. jimp
    3:44 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Hey, Think bluegrass, If you think the color is so horrible, why did you use in on your damn hallway?

26. 1.21 Giggawatts
    3:50 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

“Hey you know those parts that look outdated? What if we wrapped that style around the stadium? It’ll be 360 degrees of ‘mid-90’s architecture'”!

Can we PLEASE stop with the tan?!We GET IT, tan goes with blue! Every soccer dad in Kentucky wears Khaki pants with his blue UK shirts…. do we have to have a STADIUM that looks like its wearing khaki pants too?

It could look SO much better than this.

27. Seven Eight Nine
    3:50 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

22. Im an architect in training myself, so believe me when I say this new design is where buildings are headed. UK is ahead of the curve with this stadium design. The bright, warm colors are more friendly and welcoming than, say, white and grey, and rest assured, the inside will be beautiful as well. Just because wars are fought inside doesnt mean the stadium has to look like a military base

28. Seven Eight Nine
    3:53 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

26. How does that look mid-90’s ?? If anything it looked outdated before, and this is a much-needed upgrade to modern architecture

29. 1.21 Giggawatts
    4:00 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

20. I’m an architect and I can tell you… the architect who “designed” that… probably doodled it on a napkin while coming back in from lunch. Why? Because its a National Firm. He doesn’t live here, he doesn’t have to listen to UK fans gripe, he knows its never going to be on national television… so he’s thinking, “It’s the mid-west… they’ll like anything as long as its new”.

National Firms do $110 Mill. jobs all the time. So another $110 Mill Job isn’t exactly going to get his full attention. The local firm, (Omni Architects) who teamed up with them will have to do all the hard labor. THEY’LL be the ones trying to make the design work… all while never having a say in the design anyways.

Architects would rather work on NEW projects… where they get to do build from the ground up and design what THEY want to see…. not renovations of terrible looking khaki/bland stadiums that have no historic character to build off of.

30. 1.21 Giggawatts
    4:09 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

28. If they’re going to go contemporary… do it.

Dont half-ass it.

This is 20 minute conceptual design in sketch-up.

31. rabble rabble rabble
    4:19 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

looks just like the old one but with a paint job.

32. The real Yoda
    4:22 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

I’m a REAL architect, and everything that 29 said is complete horses#!t.

33. 1.21 Giggawatts
    4:30 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

32. Yeah, I’m REAL too.

34. Waddybody
    4:50 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

I like it for the most part. I do like the idea of limestone though. Even if it is just the corners or accents in some way.

35. Think bluegrass
    5:01 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

25. I painted my hallway that color, because it is just that… A hallway. I’m telling you if you want this stadium to look like something iconic, that 5-star players would want to play in you use KY limestone facade with wrought iron. Nickname the stadium “The Rock”. BOOM instant iconic stadium that looks monumental and fierce.

36. UK#1
    8:02 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Plans will change 10 times before project is started. No worries.

37. wrong
    8:31 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

29- You’re definitely full of shit because the local architect is Ross Tarrant not Omni. Also HNTB the national architect has done MICHIGAN, Purdue, NEBRASKA, Illinois, and Cal-Berkely.

38. wrong
    8:33 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Also you understand it’s not beige, it’s concrete to look like the current endzone facades…

39. R U Kidding?
    10:02 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

Color me very unimpressed. While I see what a few of you are talking about with the modern design comments, it in no way stands out or could be distinguished from 100 other college and high school football stadiums. The architects need to put some effort into giving the stadium a signature look that would distinguish it on tv so viewers know this is Kentucky’s football stadium. One improvement would be to wrap the “modern” structure that looks like a giant table with a limestone facade. Yes, it would cost some money and yes, the maintenance costs will be higher, but it would distinguish the stadium. Also, a killer set of blue neon lights to outline all or part of the stadium would be very cool.

40. ok-cats-computer
    10:12 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

I love the idea of a limestone facade. I’m not a fan of the artist’s drawing of what Commonwealth may look like after renovation.

41. 1.21 Giggawatts
    10:45 pm July 16, 2013 Permalink

38. That’s exactly my point! The current endzone pieces are crap. They’re outdated and look tacky. Why would anyone want to accentuate that? Read above.

Tell me, what color do YOU use when you’re describing concrete panels in a rendering? There are 2 architects and 1 architectural student in this comment section, you expected me to use industry terms such as “eifs” or “wall panel system”? “Those corrugated panels on the back side of the press box look awful. You guys don’t know what I’m talking about? Oh well”. No, I’m going to use phrases that people reading this thread will understand. I’m talking to a bunch of NON architects… so I used the color in the pic.

Why are you so defensive about my opinion anyways? Do you work for R/T or something? If so, try not to make it look like an elementary school when your done.

– Oh, and their designs for Memorial Stadium & Michigan Stadium are 10x better.

42. not kentuckish
    8:58 am July 17, 2013 Permalink

Use limestone on the outside. Make it look similar to keeneland, etc.