Could the Cats face Tubby in the first round?

Tubby Smith
Bring back the ‘stache!

Kentucky got some more help from its fellow bubble teams last night, with Boise State, Alabama and Southern Miss all losing. Joe Lunardi moved the Cats up one slot to the first team out, but USA Today’s Patrick Stevens thinks the Cats will be in as a #12 seed in the West Region, facing off against none other than Tubby Smith and #5 seeded Minnesota Gophers in Austin, Texas.

You’re telling me the Selection Committee wouldn’t love that?

First things first…#BeatGeorgia.

24 Comments for Could the Cats face Tubby in the first round?

1. Danny Mac
    1:06 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Randle cut NC ST and OKLA from his list, down to 4: UK, KU, UF, UT

2. Randle Lover
    1:11 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

And your source is…..?

3. Uk
    1:11 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Yes first things first beat Georgia…lets not get ahead of ourselves like mid major IU..they showed us how much of a dumba$$ you can look like if you get ahead of yourself

4. SteveM
    1:12 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Let’s hope not, but if we played Tubby and lost, there could be no worse conclusion to this miserable season.

5. Mike
    1:14 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Pretty damn sad when the Tubster has a higher ranked team than we do. That is how far we have fallen from grace.

6. ajh
    1:16 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Minnesota will be a 6 or 7 or maybe even 8 in the end. No way they’ll get a 5.

7. FranktheTank
    1:18 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Watched Minnesota a few times this season. I do NOT want to see this UK team play them.

8. RICK
    1:19 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Lunardi is usually right. I like Tubby and wouldnt mind playing them in the trnt.Remember ntl. cmps last year. Give me a break on crying about a miserable season and keep the faith. GO BIG BLUE

9. yeahright
    1:26 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Tubby was, and is, a fantastic coach and a fine man. Geez, some people. I’ve watched Minnesota a few games, they would KILL this Kentucky team… and I’m the biggest Kentucky homer ever. I just don’t understand all of the Tubby hate. BCG, now HE was a jackleg.

10. smiffinator
    1:30 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

#4 if elite 8, 2 final 4’s, and national championship in 3 years is falling from grace. I will take that any time in heart beat. I could be wrong because I have not keep up with the gophers much over the years, but I say we can safely say that our record might be a little bit better than Tubby’s Gophers. But what do I know?? Good luck Tubby, hope you make it far in the tourney!

11. MN CAT
    1:40 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

I like Tubby and hope he does well, but before MN beat Indiana the other night, there was a lot of clamoring up here for the Univ. to buy Tubby out of the last year of his contract, and look for a new coach. Prior to this year, they haven’t cleared a 500 record in the Big Ten. It hasn’t been what MN thought they were signing up for.

12. ajh
    1:40 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Rick – Lunardi didn’t say this.

13. Al's IndiCats
    1:41 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

9, I think what everyone was down on Tubby was in his later years when he was just going through the motions. I truely believe when we won it all in 98, had Pitino had that team we would’ve lost to Duke.
    If I did have one thing against Tubby was that he wasted a scholly on Saul when in fact we could’ve had one of the best PG in nation in Jason Gardner in Indpls. His family’s big on UK (I worked with his uncle) but Jason wasn’t going to ride the bench behind the coach’s son who most likely couldn’t have gotten off a DII teams bench.
    Tubby was Class throughout his time in the Bluegrass, and I’m happy for him up in Gropher country. I root for them at least once a year (against IPOO)

14. Wildboi
    1:42 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

5<——–seriously bro? Did you really say that?! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. That's the dumbest statement ever. No way on earth you're a UK fan. Unless you've been in a coma for 4 years. That I could understand.

15. Mc
    2:01 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t have a problem being the 12 playing any 5 seed. MN is 5-7 away from home. So yes, it could be a good game, but not too difficult. Plus if we won we’d get the 4/13 winner which would be more favorable than an 8,9,10, or 11’s second round matchup assuming no upsets with 1,2,3, or 4 seeds. Plus getting MN first means we made the tournament. Hopefully it’s an afternoon game so I can take the day off.

16. Han
    2:12 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

That’d be an interesting matchup.

5) Hey, poindexter – we have a trophy from last season. It’s called a down year. Tubby’s also got his team ranked higher than UNC. I guess they’ve fallen far, too, eh?

17. serdi
    2:24 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

They would not match Minn and Kentucky on purpose. Remember what Matt Jones told us about the selection committee….they do not do things like that. In Russia they Bulshitski to that.

18. Tubby
    2:31 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

I don’t need this matchup.

19. TStevens
    3:23 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

UK will get pummelled by Minnesota. Believe that.

20. Mc
    3:43 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

#19. I don’t have any fear for a team that is 5-7 away from home. I also don’t fear them because they’re in the Big 10 (1 championship since 1990). I think on a neutral court, without Doug Shows officiating, it could be a good game. I bet Vegas would agree if it happens. My guess is the spread would be close.

21. STEVE!
    4:07 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

9 – yeahright, I can give you 9 reasons for the Tubby disdain (I wouldn’t call it hate). His last 10 signees were Morakinyo Williams, AJ Stewart, Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, Jodie Meeks (he was OK), Derrick Jasper, Michael Porter, Jared Carter, Rekalin Sims, and Adam Williams. Please convince me that fine man wasn’t trying to wreck the program before he bolted town for another job.

22. RealCatsFan
    6:33 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me, or does Tubby bear a striking resemblance to Mr. Potato Head with the ‘stache and grandpa glasses?

23. Lexington
    7:05 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

As Mr Bill Keightley said many times, Tubby Smith is the classiest coach ever to coach at UK. I still believe that is true.
    That said, if we play Minnesota, I hope the Cats destroy them.
    Go Big Blue!

24. John Ellis
    7:29 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

Tubby was and is the best man to be UK coach, though Cal is close behind on that. He is too sane to be a college basketball coach, his only flaw. Even after beating Indiana, a big reboot, he was completely sane in the post-game interview. The garbage thrown at him – still – is still disgusting. The man won the national championship with the least talented of any of the UK championship teams, which makes him the best coach for one year UK has ever had. Who were the big pros on that team? The win over Duke still the biggest win in UK history, as a H/L poll showed by fan vote. That Duke team had arguably the most pro talent of any team in BBall history, to that point at least. So some respect. I would hope UK would beat them badly, but given the studs Tubby has at point guard and power forward, unlikely. I’d hate losing then enjoy his winning. I do not feel that way about Pitino. The man helped the Lexington community greatly, comes from a military background of service he lives and will retire to Lexington. Hopefully his detractors will have learned some respect by then.
    No UK coach by the way has had two overall #1 seeds back to back other than Tubby, and only a major injury to Bogans and Dwayne Wade becoming Dwayne Wade for the first time prevented another title for him.