Could Cal steal Skal Labissiere from Memphis?

skal

Over the weekend, Andrew Cassady told you all about Skal Labissiere, the 2015 power forward/center from Haiti who currently lives just south of Memphis. Cal watched Labissiere over the weekend and compared his build to Marcus Camby, Nerlens Noel, and Anthony Davis. He’s ranked the 6th best player in the 2015 class by Rivals and 8th by ESPN. The 6’11” 198 lb. athletic sophomore currently has offers from the Cats, Auburn, Memphis and Kansas, but told reporters that Memphis and Kentucky were pursuing him the hardest.

As you can imagine, that didn’t make the people in Memphis too happy. Cal rarely offers players that young a scholarship so soon, something he even admitted to Labissiere when he extended the offer last November after only seeing him play one game. Add in the fact that Josh Pastner and the Memphis staff have been watching Labissiere play since he moved to the area after the Haiti earthquake in 2010, and well, it’s a bit awkward. Labissiere said that it’s a hot topic around town: “People talk about that a lot in Memphis, because not everybody in Memphis likes Coach Cal.”

While some his fellow Memphians aren’t too fond of their former head coach, Labissiere is pretty smitten. He said that likes Cal’s history of getting players with his similar build (Camby, Davis, Noel) into the draft, and that he’s had an eye on the Cats for a while:

“Memphis and Kentucky are recruiting me the hardest right now, getting in contact with me. Kansas just started last week. Coach Cal is working with me pretty hard right now. They’re a great program. The one-and-done, of course. I watched the [all-access] show on ESPN. He pushes players to the next level.”

Labissiere also praised Pastner, the Memphis staff and their style of play, but spoke glowingly of Cal’s offer, which he called a “real honor.”

It’s okay, Memphis. You still have excellent BBQ.

31 Comments for Could Cal steal Skal Labissiere from Memphis?

1. MemphisCats
    1:11 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

That is the only thing Memphis has going for itself, is the BBQ. Memphis has good players but they really never make anything out of themselves thanks to Josh, if the kid is smart he better go to UK if he wants to play in the NBA. T. Black has finally learned this and will get drafted at KU after this next year, he finally saw the light and will tell other Memphis players.

2. ukmoxie
    1:12 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Lunch break! Were is the podcast! I NEED my FIX!

3. SheedWallace'sGraySpot
    1:16 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

6’11” and 198!!! My god! Poor kid prob disappears when he turns sideways

4. tennessee wildcat
    1:17 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Cal is again one step ahead of the others. He will be welcomed to BBN soon

5. Tampa Satchel
    1:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Looks like he has to move around in the shower to get wet. Bet he can jump though.

6. The Real JD
    1:24 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

@2 1st hour is posted on WKJK

7. Gaydar
    1:24 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I’ll be interested to see the comments about the NBA player who came out of the closet today.

8. Alamo_CatFan
    1:28 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

7 – I was genuinely surprised that he didn’t attend college at Duke. Now that the closet door has been flung open you can bet on the Dukies having their fair share of NBGay’ers

9. J in Orlando
    1:30 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Ask Will Barton how well it works out when a one and done prospect chooses Memphis instead of UK…

10. The Real Smitty
    1:31 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Pastner has only missed on one top Memphis area player (Stokes) by a technicality. He is a great recruiter. Cal is the best so this should be interesting.

11. BBN#1
    1:35 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

i really want this kid this kid is literally AD 2.0 shoots way better then nerlens

12. The Real Smitty
    1:36 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Will Barton was never OAD. Barton = Archie

13. Rae
    1:40 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

10. The master versus the pupil.

14. Not or to not
    1:40 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

“While some his fellow Memphians are too fond of their former head coach, Labissiere is pretty smitten.”
    There is a ‘not’ missing! Proofread please..

15. Screw Memphis
    1:41 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

7) I think he plays football in the NFL. Bigger story with him is how bad he got screwed at Auburn after going undefeated and still being #2 to USC. A year after the NCAA split the title with USC and LSU with the exact same set of circumstances.
    If he chooses to be strait or gay really doesn’t matter as long as he keeps it at home where everyone should gay or strait. I don’t understand why the media thinks they need to put sexuality out to the public. I think most of this is some, trying to push their agenda on both sides! If you want to be gay be gay, if you are strait be strait. Just keep sexuality where it should be, at home or in your personal life no matter which way you go!!!
    If he’s good enough take him. SCREW Memphis! I can’t get past their fans comeing onto this site before Cal came and saying they had a better program then UK!

16. Uk18
    1:46 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

15.) number 7 was talking about the guy in the NBA who plays for the wizards that came out as gay..

17. M
    1:53 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Remember Hoops for Haiti? Great work by Calipari. Haters will hate, but Cal has done a lot of good work towards these causes.
    On a side-note, I know we’ve had a lot of one-and-dones lately, but other schools have also had many one-and-dones. Yet we’re the team that is associated with the phrase. I don’t know why, but when I hear a kid considering UK and says the whole “one-and-done” I cringe a little. I get it though. The kids want to play in the NBA and Cal does a great job getting them there.

18. Otis
    1:56 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Fact or fiction: Cal just took five star recruits to a first round loss in the NIT. Must be fiction, because no one on KSR seems to remember

19. otis is gay
    2:05 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

fiction- they took cal there, you can’t coach effort you d-bag

20. Really
    2:07 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Otis,
    If Noel didn’t get hurt, there’s a good chance we’re in the tournament, but it’s time to move on there buddy. Bottomline is we had no bench, and poor leadership.

Louisville has been to the NIT twice under Pitino. See you guys in December.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    2:07 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

18- Fact or fiction- It took 27 years for ul win their most recent banner.

I’ll take 1 yr in the NIT rather than 27 years without a banner. If you don’t understand that, then please go off yourself. I don’t care how.

22. TheRealHambone
    2:09 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Fact or Fiction: Ricky is the subject of a very famous photo of him and the cardinal in abject sarrow after Morehead State eliminated them in the first round of the NCAA tourament in 2010. Reality will set in on you and the rest of your line-beard, moron, buddies very shortly after the 2013 season begins.

23. Bobbum man
    2:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

198??? Somebody get the kid a big mac

24. Bill
    2:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

18. Our last 27 years or iu or uofl’s….ours, our last four years or anyone else’s last four…. ours. One bad year and we are still better than any progra, out there, hence why you are so obsessed and here

25. Roland
    2:28 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Pastner recognizes talent and recruits well, but the hurt in Memphis is that Pastner is no Calipari.

Evidenced by this recruits own comment in this post (I hope you {Mrs T} have a documenting link)an offer by UK as “which he called a “real honor.””

26. Roland
    2:35 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Thank you, Mrs. T. Not for recognizing my comment but for reading your OWN post’s comments.
    Wish there was more of that here.
    Again, Thank You.

27. Roland
    2:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. T, I should have found that link you gave on my own but instead came here to get it. {Clue} Thanks.

28. The Real Smitty
    2:55 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Cal is to Memphis fans what CRP is to UK. (different circumstances I know)

29. Big Blue 66
    3:11 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

and you thought the telethon for Haiti was out of left field…that and the Dominican coaching thing to get Towns set up is genius, everything Cal does has a long term plan around it, bank it.

30. ukfan04
    3:49 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I am actually from Memphis and have seen Skal play a number of times. He really is not that amazing. He’s listed at 6’11 but he is no more than 6’9 and he gets pushed out of the paint if someone breathes too hard in the area. I dont get why Calipari offered him so early when he needs a large amount of work.