Cotton Nash’s Tuesday News and Views

Good evening/morning, friends, and welcome to this week’s Tuesday News and Views, brought to you by the birth of Cotton Nash. The former Kentucky basketball great turns 70 years young on Tuesday and it just wouldn’t be right if we ignored his big day. We can all agree that a simple “Happy Birthday” is the least we can do for the two-sport star who scored 1,770 points — good enough for ninth all-time — for Kentucky basketball while hitting .297 for Kentucky baseball his senior year.

The Jersey City native is still one of the most beloved Wildcats to wear the blue, even today, some 50+ years after his time in Lexington. In those three years as a Wildcat, Nash was a three-time All-American selection, three-time All-SEC selection, and he made the NCAA All-Region team in his freshman season.

Nash would go on to play for the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Francisco Warriors in the NBA, and then the ABA’s Kentucky Colonels, where he averaged 8.5 points, 4.9 rebounds per game, and 1.2 assists per game. He also played 13 games over three MLB seasons with the Chicago White Sox and Minnesota Twins. Today, his basketball jersey hangs from the rafters in Rupp Arena.

So, 70th Happy Birthday to you, Charles Francis “Cotton” Nash.

Joker Phillips will have a series of interviews during the ESPN “Car Wash” of SEC head football coaches Tuesday at the ESPN campus in Bristol. Phillips, along with Nick Saban, John L. Smith, Will Muschamp, Mark Richt, Hugh Freeze and Steve Spurrier, will rotate among numerous interview opportunities among various ESPN platforms.

Phillips’ schedule (all times Eastern) includes:

11:10 a.m. SEC Storied
11:45 a.m. @ESPNCFB Questions
12:15 p.m. ESPNU
1:00 p.m. SportsCenter (tape)
1:15 p.m. Twitter Chat
1:30 p.m. ESPN.com Chat
2:05 p.m. College Football Live
2:30 p.m. Playbook
3:15 p.m. Recruiting Nation

Fans are invited to participate in the Twitter chat (1:15 p.m.) and the ESPN.com chat (1:30 p.m.).

All questions on Twitter should be sent to @ESPNCFB and use the hashtag #ESPNPhillips.

Billy Donovan’s wife had a cake made to celebrate her husband landing two top 10 recruits. Erin Calipari thinks that is funny.

“Didnt realize we were supposed to celebrate top 10 recruits with cakes. I guess I’m about 50 cakes behind. Know a good baker?”

Burn.

We shared an e-mail with you Monday morning that was sent out to workers at the University of Louisville’s new student recreational center, complaining about the support of other college sports teams at the site. You should know that Abel Construction, the company doing the project, is also working on UK’s new track and is the proud owner of the truck you see in this photo from the construction of Louisville’s indoor football practice facility:

40 days until football season…

Microsoft is opening a new store in the Washington D.C. area and the company is bringing in the brightest stars for the grand opening next month. Weezer is scheduled to play at the Pentagon City mall the morning of the opening, followed by an XBox Kinect demonstration by John Wall. It’s the first time Weezer and John Wall will share a stage, but it’s hopefully not the last. If the event goes as plans, it could encourage similar appearances in other cities, like Matchbox 20 and Doron Lamb at the Milwaukee opening or The Smashing Pumpkins and Jamaal Magloire in Toronto.

For the record, Penn State’s vacated 1999 Outback Bowl win doesn’t mean Kentucky gets the trophy. It’s fun to joke about being 1999 Outback Bowl Champs but it doesn’t work that way. Most of you knew that already, although some actually believe UK gets credit for win. Not the case.

Grantland.com investigated The Anthony Davis Problem, which the writer defined as wearing athletic clothes to non-athletic functions, as seen in this photo uploaded by Deron Williams.

The article calls Davis a “teenage dresser” and says Davis looks like he’s at a father-son outing with Andre Igoudala.

I don’t get it. Over half the guys at the table are wearing t-shirts.

That’ll do it for now. Tune in to Kentucky Sports Radio radio at 10:00 to start your day off right.

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Cotton Nash’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Wildcat Willie says
    11:43 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Nash also played for a while with the LA Angels. I know because I was there.

2. Gimli
    11:52 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Good god Kobe defines swag. Just look at that picture

3. jj
    11:55 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t Ant a teenager? How’s he supposed to dress? Judging from some of the suits he’s worn to awards ceremonies, I’d say he’s pretty well-dressed when he wants to be.

4. The South
    11:56 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

AD dresses like a teenager because he is one

5. HamnEggs
    12:07 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Somebody explain something to me please.

Is Drew sayin the little asian chick is really a dude?? This old man can’t seem to figure out what this twiiter spat is all about. Thanks

6. Lil Whoa
    12:10 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Kobe is a boss! I don’t think Anthony is any less-dressed than most of the guys at the table.

7. Women Everywhere
    12:23 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I lost some money on the Outback Bowl in Vegas that year. Can I at least get my $20 back please?

8. rip mel turpin
    12:37 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Nash came to Mrs. Harding’s class at Deep Springs elementary in 1973. He was a hero to us little blue fans. Very classy guy. Happy birthday Cotton.

9. Bradley
    12:48 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Only thing that stands out in that picture is Kobe and his ginormous ego trying to outshine everyone else. Dude, everyone is wearing t shirts and u blast out dress clothes and the I’m cooler than everyone shades.

10. Duke Sucks
    12:49 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

The bigger question for Davis is will Coach K give him a chance to play or not.

11. Dave in Bangkok
    3:12 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Joan Rivers writes for Grantland.com now???

12. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    3:40 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Happy Birthday to my Little League Winning coach Cotton Nash. Great man and great family. #1, you are correct–first baseman I believe. I remember him giving me his baseball card and some broken Louisville Slugger wooden bats from when he played. Some of the best memories in my life with Cotton, the other coaches and my teammates.

13. BPsycho
    5:20 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

#9 He does outshine everyone else lol It’s Kobe…. It ain’t trickin if you got it son.

14. flacatfan
    6:44 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

If Erin Calipari really made that cake comment (and it’s not just KSR being ridiculous), that’s surprising and classless.

15. SexnNursinHomes
    6:46 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

12- nicely stated

13- If P-diddy impregnated Kanye with a little Kardashian ass dust, it would come out lookin like Kobe.

16. BPsycho
    7:11 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

#14 The word Billy’s wife would be looking for starts with a “C”

#15 lmao Sippin Ciroc mouthin off to everyone.

17. Hazard Kidd-Katt
    7:33 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

1999 Outback Bowl win doesn’t count for us … but does that mean that the loss is removed from our record?

18. kobe's kids
    7:35 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

That’s our dad! Gawd, he’s a douche nozzle. He sure thinks his sh!t don’t stink. Well, mom says – daddy isn’t as big as he thinks – whatever that means. We just hope daddy doesn’t impregnate any Euro trash while he is “going for gold” – we don’t really want to share any of daddy’s money with some bastard children.

19. TimeFor9
    7:36 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

14 – classless, really? I think of it as an awesome sense of humor. Typically people who call someone classless really seem to fit that mold themselves. I’m not calling you that, just stating the truth.

20. TimeFor9
    7:38 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Also 14 you do realize Erin is his daughter and not his wife, right? She’s young and obviously a pretty funny girl if she did say that.

21. Fashion Police
    7:44 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

What the hell is wrong with what AD wears? Look at these dudes. Multi millionaires, and most of them are wearing tshirts. Yall ain’t at Mcdonalds. And would someone PLEASE tell athletes that glasses DO NOT MAKE ANY OF US THINK YOU ARE SMART. Oh yeah, and tell AI to lose the scarf, you ain’t an oldschool bi wing pilot – you just look bi.

22. nassau65
    8:08 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

How fitting. A UK truck taking a dump on UL’s home turf.

23. Anthony Davis
    8:15 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone inform the writer that I AM, in fact, a teenager…so that would make sense that I am a teenage dresser.

24. B-Lord
    8:32 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Cotton Nash = Barry Pepper

25. Rockfield, KY
    8:36 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Those stupid plastic framed glasses that all the athletes wear now are the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. Boogie and Wall had their Peter Parker thing going on for a while and it was funny, but now it seems like most athletes are ripping this off. I hate the word swag, but I’d thinking ripping off what someone else does would be the opposite of having swagger. Conway Twitty had swag.

26. James K
    8:58 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Can you imagine hanging with that crew? I mean, I cannot imagine how Davis feels. Has to be the coolest experience of his life.

27. Cats 97
    9:13 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Really?? Might be the dumbest article I have ever read regarding AD’s wardrobe. If all the other guys were actually dressed up, then fine, but they aren’t. Also, he mentions class……how about 2 guys wearing hats to the table? Stupid article.

28. Tebkats
    9:17 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Good for AD for being patriotic.

29. Joan Rivers
    9:45 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

My Gawd, if I made half the money these guys do, I would look like Paris Hilton on steroids. Seriously, Kobe is dressed in LA “style,” AD is dresssed in college “style,” and the rest are dressed in obnoxiously rich NBA “style.” Who cares.

30. Biglaw Dawgin'
    11:55 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

That truck is great. I think it was rather classy of Abel Construction to send an email instructing employees to respect their current “employer” (UL) by not wearing other team’s colors while working on a UL construction site. It’s obvious that Abel Construction are UK fans and the post on this site yesterday was a little quick to get on them for that email. It was simply a respect thing and maybe, just maybe, you guys should check on that before writing a post insinuating that they wrote the email because they were L-Raising, line-beard-having Card lovers.

31. DickeOscar
    12:54 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

This article should be attached to Mr Rembert Browne’s nomination for induction into the “Hall of Fame of Stupidity”.No one looks more out of place than the dude in all white, long sleeves and dark glasses.

32. bill
    1:20 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Cotton Nash & I had Freshman algebra together. I recall that he was from Lake Charles, La

33. FourThinInches
    3:25 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

LMAO a father-son outing! I laughed super hard.