Coping With The Success Of a Rival

Everything in the Big 2 of college sports just seems wrong. A gear in the grand tapestry of the universe has jammed and resulted in the Louisville Cardinals experiencing possibly the greatest year in the history of their existence. Let’s reacp shall we? Since losing to our Cats in the Final Four the Dirty Birds went 11-2 and beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl, escaped the dying grasp of the Big East to land in the ACC, and just made the Final Four in both the men’s and womens game. All while UK went 2-10 on the gridiron and made a trip to the NIT. Sometimes you’re the bird and sometimes you’re the statue. The year has been tough to say the least but coping with little brother having a great year can be easy when you follow these simple steps:

Keep Perspective:

Yeah, Louisville is on their way to capturing their third national championship and you know what that’s okay. Kentucky got their third 62 years ago. Not to mention we just brought home the trophy to Lexington last year. A Louisville championship would be just an aberration in a decade of dominance by the Kentucky Wildcats. Since 2010 we’ve gone to an elite eight, a final four, and won it all. Next year we’re going to be the odds-on favorite to win it again. If Louisville gets one this year just offer the rivals a congrats and move on but just keep in mind they haven’t won anything yet.

UofL should win the title this year but there’s a reason why they play the games. You never know what’s going to happen. Wichita State could pull off the unthinkable and shock the world. Next year in football the Cards could drop a game on their cakewalk of a schedule. In fact I know they will when they bring that top 10 ranking into Lexington. The point is to keep perspective on how good the Cats have it. Especially with what’s coming down the line.

Look at the Future:

I’m not saying the reason for Louisville’s success is the book of forbidden incantations I saw Tom Jurich with in New Orleans. But selling your soul comes with a price and the Cards current doesn’t look great long term. The Sugar Bowl win didn’t translate into big wins in the recruiting war and the Cards picked up what will probably be their only win over Cal this year. Meanwhile in Lexington the Stoops is attempting to change the culture of the football program, Women’s basketball is a top ten program and what else needs to be said about what Cal has done. The future is bright in the Bluegrass. One down year for basketball and football has resulted in changes that will generate some long term success.

Rocky vs Apollo Creed. WCW vs WWF. Kentucky vs Louisville. Having a strong rival pushes you to be better. Cal’s arrival has certainly seemed to revitalize Rick Pitino who appeared to just be waiting to retire just a few years ago. A great opponent simply serves to make you better and the commonwealth is lucky to have two of the premier athletics programs in the nation. How have you learned to cope as Louisville has experienced this recent surge?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

41 Comments for Coping With The Success Of a Rival

1. Maxbps8
    5:09 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

1st…She’s hot.

2. yes
    5:13 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Nothin like a sexy crier

3. Sgt Jimmy
    5:15 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

The CATS nor anybody else can win every year. In the late 60’s and early 70’s UCLA fans had the attitude that they owned the NCAA(10 out of 12). Fans and coaches get caught up in worring about everybody else. The ownly thing that they can control is their own team.

4. put your arm 'round her
    5:16 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

this girl is at an emotional low point , time to dab on some panther musk and boat this bass

5. BlueFins
    5:18 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

If it wasn’t for the constant barrage from this site I would be doing good of avoiding the red crap.

6. Survivor
    5:18 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I have witnessed UL win two national championships in my lifetime and the sun did not implode either time. I am proud of who we are and would not trade places with them. It has not been 27 years since we have won a title. Its barely been 12 months. No Worries.

7. NotNostradamus
    5:21 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

If UofL wins it all this will become known as the “Year without a Summer”.

I guarantee it.

8. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    5:21 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

That girl reminds me a lot of zooey deschanel. She could get it.

9. Mike
    5:21 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I personally dont care how they do. They’re irrelevant to me and their success is inconsequential. They can’t catch us in victories or championships. We beat them like 80% of the time. I was more stressed when kansas was gaining more victories on us. I don’t really want them to win but it’s whatever.

10. Cast
    5:22 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I don’t need to cope at all. When they get within shouting distance of uk s victory total, our national championships, our recruiting successes, then I might worry. Until then I am in 7th heaven

11. Miley
    5:23 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Agree with #5. It looks petty for big brother to write these posts. Just acknowledge they have a great program, we don’t have to compare the two. UK will always be UK cause we’re the state school. I’m not sure, of course, but I don’t believe NOrth Carolina talks so much about Duke when they aren’t playing or gearing up to play, vice versa. We shoul only be so lucky and happy that we have a rival like 70miles away that is also really good.

12. Rationality
    5:24 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Is this supposed to someones actual opinion? Wow. UK has a better basketball program than UofL simply because they have a better basketball prorgram than everybody and it always will be. UofL has a better football program because UK’s is just horrendous and it always will be. Optimism is great, but I think you all need to look through the much grimmer lens of realism.

13. Bob
    5:24 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Just deal with it and enjoy the fact that it is staying in the state!!! After this season our next title will be here a lot sooner than their’s will.

14. Vardaman
    5:24 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

15. Don Corleone
    5:26 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

#4) Takes the cake.

16. mudcreekmark
    5:29 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m a huge cat fan but you have to tip your hat to what Tom Jurich has done at UofL. I’m surprised some of the bigger schools, haven’t scooped him up.

17. SexnNursinHomes
    5:32 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

For anyone that doesn’t know. The photo of the crying ass housewife is used for the meme “First World Problems” and by the looks of it looks like she has upset because the banking error wasn’t fixed within 30 minutes. ~Sigh~

18. Roland
    5:33 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Tears don’t match the lips and bangs hiding the forehead.

19. Big Stoner Creek
    5:34 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I for one hope both sets of Cards bring home the titles to keep ’em in state cause we all know who’s winning it all next year!! ….#Kentucky Proud

20. john
    5:36 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

you guys are making way too much of this. but commandante jones is out to convince everyone of his viewpoint. UL wins…so what. Congrats and let’s move on. so much space and time wasted on an insignificant issue

21. StevEm
    5:38 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

No 5 has it correct. KSR really puts out some shit and this post is one of those times. Matt why don’t you hit someone other than 23 years old who has some depth of perspective and quit putting out this IL shit.

22. Bluekzu
    5:45 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Good lord..enough already. Louisville winning the title is kind of ugh, but it’s not that big a deal. I’m over it.

23. Cast
    5:50 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

20, and 21 , and others. If you don’t or can’t like what you read here, don’t read it. Stop your bitching.

24. Wild Blue
    5:55 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Enough about that other school. This is KSR. In case you have forgotten, that stands for KENTUCKY Sports Radio. If it means Louisville or the other colleges and universities in the state then I won’t be back. I come here for University of Kentucky basketball, football, and recruiting news brought to me in the most ridiculous manner possible.

25. TJ
    6:02 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Uk beating UL in football next year? How old are KSR’s writers?

26. Joe
    6:02 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I like it, it only makes the rivalry stronger & the state even more relevant in college bball, & football for that matter. Like another post said, I’m not the least bit threatened by louisville’s success. It’s good for us, they still little bro

27. Roland
    6:04 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Wish Ware a Speedy recovery but get REAL:
    here is an Owensboro story :

28. Roland
    6:09 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

If you want to shed a tear, do so for Michael Cable:

29. classof68
    6:12 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

We have to “cope” with anyone’s success in basketball? You’ve got to be kidding. It’s better not to post anything than to fabricate something like this to blab about.

30. CatGrad7072
    6:14 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

#4: Is that you Sexn?

31. SMH
    6:14 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

It’s a real shame that this Final 4 appearance, and if the NC happens, will be overshadowed by Kevin Ware, and injured reserve

32. Dan
    6:17 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

The beauty of this site is the constant “UL means nothing, little brother” stuff coupled with an endless stream of juvenile articles about Louisville.

33. Archie Goodwin
    6:17 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

Someone can smakck the hell out of me if UofL wins and I promise I won’t do anything about it….well, I guess I wouldn’t anyway 🙁 Ask Robert Morris.

34. UKBlue
    6:45 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

UL going to get a huge surprise when Maryland gets out of the $50 million dollar buyout, and then FSU, Clemson, Vir Tech, Miami, UNC, and Duke leave the ACC & UL realizes they got used/played & they’ve done nothing but join the new version of the dying old Big East.

Hurtt for all intensive purposes is going bye bye at UL, so long recruits.

If UL wins, Rick should immediately retire to keep his ego in place & go out on top because he will never be this close to a championship again; with the NBA draft being horrible, every UL player that might make it to the NBA draft should jump ship & declare because a UL player will never have this easy of a shot going pro.

35. Wildcatsteeler
    6:54 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I don’t get the “keep it in the state” nonsense. Or how people are assuming it won’t matter after next season because we will win it all. I hate to break it to you but winning it next season isn’t guaranteed. Far from it. We were loaded 3 years ago and lost to an inferior team. One bad game and its over in the tourney. It could be over a decade before we win one again, if ever. Do you really want U of L having the last Championship? They’ve far eclipsed us by a long shot in football and will own us for the next several years. Do you really want them to have bragging rights in basketball also? Just absolutely foolish for a UK fan to hope they win it.

36. SexnNursinHomes
    6:58 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

30- ha no, but that was a good one.

37. brain
    7:31 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem coping with it. I ignore it because I don’t give a shit. We aren’t going to win it so it doesn’t matter who does.

38. kramer
    7:42 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

I live in Louisville, have all my 47 yrs, won’t ever cheer for UL to win. Only 4 more days it’ll be over, except if UL wins and the hoopla for a few days. Then all the Kard fans will be on the football bandwagon. UL good fortune will stop, they have been too successful this past year, that kinda stuff doesn’t last forever.

39. thats budda
    7:43 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

F”em

40. Joe
    7:48 pm April 4, 2013 Permalink

lol at matt jones. W/e makes you sleep at night man. You better hope uk has a better season in basketball and football next year but it wouldn’t take much to do that.

41. ROBERT MORRIS
    8:25 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

You Losers are SORE LOSERS!!!