Construction company bans support for other college teams

The construction company behind the University of Louisville’s new student recreation center — we’ll call it, “Ab*l Construction,” to protect its integrity — recently sent out an e-mail blast, warning employees and vendors that support for other teams will not be tolerated at the construction site. An insulted KSR reader received the e-mail from A*el Construction and passed it along to us to share with you.

From the project superintendent:

We at Ab*l Construction are honored and grateful to serve the students and the university in the building of the new University of Louisville’s Student Recreation Center and wishes to maintain a positive image of respect and gratitude to its conclusion.  I have noticed some employees and vendors showing their support for other college teams and think that this is not portraying the support and image that we want.

Please discuss this with your employees and vendors and request their support in this matter. Allowing for some adjustment time, please advise that after 7-13-12 this will no longer be allowed. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

D**** R**********

AB*L Construction Company, Inc.

The e-mail doesn’t come out and say that it is University of Kentucky gear that is “not portraying the support and image,” but I can’t imagine Abe* Construction getting too upset over a handful of people walking around in Bellarmine, Daymar and Spencerian College swag.

Once we get our hands on the Abel C*nstruction mailing list, we plan to send out the following message:

“We at KSR want you to wear whatever you want while working in or around the Louisville’s new student recreation center. Kentucky national championship t-shirts are encouraged.

Go Cats.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

70 Comments for Construction company bans support for other college teams

1. ky83cat
    11:51 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

I noticed they are not too proud to fly the UK logo on their website (referring to testimonials) yet have removed the UK testimonial. Wouldn’t want those Loserville fans to have a CARDiac arrest for knowing they use the same highly rated construction company as the BBN has used. Forever dodging their wannabe status!

2. SteveM
    11:52 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Wow! Sounds like what used to be freedom of expression is this country now equates to a civil wrong. Someone call the Homeland Securtiy Deparatment!! Great to live under a communist regime.

3. Rolo
    11:54 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m going to say this is may go against the Kentucky Labor Standards Act. Unless there is a Corporate rule in their Employee Handbook that specifically states “you cannot wear anything except UL gear” it’s probably not legal. By the way, I suggest anyone that can call OSHA on any Abel Construction site for OSHA infractions due so as well, I’ll be looking myself.

Nice Abel, great publicity for your organization: “TOOLS”

4. Flippy23
    11:55 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

There is nothing they can do really…….if someone wears a UK shirt about all they can do is finger wag……….

5. Question
    11:56 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

what about UK boxers? Are they doing underwear checks?

6. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    11:56 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

Tommy Turtleneck must have a really small member if he has this type of inferiority complex.

7. NJT, take it away...
    11:59 am July 23, 2012 Permalink

This does not bode well for Kentucky…

8. UK Fan
    12:00 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

When I was at UK there was a construction crew that flew a Vols flag for a while. Can’t remember if they were made to take it down.

9. A.H.
    12:07 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Feel free to tell them how you feel…. http://abelconstruct.com/contact-us/

10. UKBlue
    12:16 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

This just shows the stupidity of people connected to UL; I guess Abel doesn’t plan on ever getting business again out of Frankfort or the rest of the state.

11. UKBlue
    12:17 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Tommy Turtleneck & Pitino must be the most insecure people in the world. Then again, Rick could only last 15 seconds, so that’s saying something.

12. George Takei
    12:19 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

OOOOHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY!!!

13. Bob the Builder
    12:25 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

If only it were legal to dismiss their bids on local projects based soley on this……quick somebody grab some picket signs and put together a catchy phrase….

14. DT5150
    12:25 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

If you think if UK is above this u are wrong.

15. jj
    12:26 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Wow, is Tom turning U of L into his own little Iran

16. Suz
    12:26 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

This is precious … poor, poor UL. How tragic when a person wearing another college t-shirts offends you so much. Hilarious!! How sad for Abel Construction workers that their company is dictating their wardrobe. God, it’s good to be a CATS fan.

17. Usernametaken
    12:33 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I have never seen such an insecure and jealous fan base as the Cardinals’.

18. Pabloco
    12:40 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Is wearing a “Louisville Sucks” t-shirt allowed?

19. schwing
    12:47 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

not enforceable.

20. Porcini's table #2
    12:48 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

13, here you go…..

To be a loserville fan
    it must be very Hard..
    to be employed here,
    you must be a ‘Tard

There maybe no other work
    For your builders to be
    no other work….
    outside Jefferson county

21. Common Sense
    12:51 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

If an “insulted KSR reader received the e-mail” then he must be an employee or doing work for Abel. If thats the case, I could see this person losing their job, right? Doesn’t many big time companies like this have privacy warnings at the bottom of e-mails? I’m just wondering.

22. Chris
    12:52 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I doubt the Construction Company came up with this on their own. I am sure someone at little brother complained.

23. SECtion 8 OK
    1:01 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#8 – I do remember that as well. Was it at the Young Library construction site?

24. Ricky Penetrator
    1:05 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

OCCUPY ABEL CONSTRUCTION!

25. cajuncat
    1:08 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Listen to me!!! Listen to me!!!! Listing… Listen… this is UL’s building.. don’t wear your school colors here… Listen!… Listen to me..
    who owns that construction company anyway?

26. BlueFins
    1:11 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Guessing, when and if, the Rupp Arena project is approved a certain Abel Constructio* company will not be the winning bidder on the contract. You may need that nose on your face Abel, just saying!

27. UKBlue
    1:11 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I almost feel sorry for the receptionist at Abel

28. funny fans
    1:12 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

UK fans wearing their clothes while building ANOTHER UofL facility… They must all be saying: I wish Rupp could get some funding… haha! Ya know it, now get up off em.

29. MoreCommonSense
    1:12 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

21 are you assuming KSR is going to rat that person out? Abel has tons of employees, I doubt just one is an avid KSR fan and everyone will know it’s him.

30. BNolan
    1:14 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Actually, I think this is a good idea. It happens here at Iowa State all the time with Iowa Hawkeye fans. For the sake of the students, whom we serve, I think having a rivals shirt on (on the job site) is just not a good business practice.

31. Funding
    1:14 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Can UofL actually afford this building or will taxpayers have to foot the bill for this as well?

32. bbmike
    1:15 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Even the cards vendors are catching the same inferiority complex that the fans have. Aint no cure either!
    I was thinking they were involved in the new track facility at UK, but could be wrong.

33. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    1:16 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Why does UL have to be such little b1tches about everything?

34. Swoony
    1:25 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Construction workers don’t wear shirts.

35. Diehardfan
    1:38 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

As a former UK Athletics employee, I was told the same thing about wearing other collegiate clothes while at work. I am a die hard CATS fan but fair is fair. If you work for Pepsi they would not want you to wear a Coke shirt to work.

36. gottodoit
    1:39 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Quick, call McConnell. Isn’t this, like gift money to politicians, a free speech issue?

37. Turtle Neck Tommy told them to ban all UK spirit wear according to the 411 I am getting.

38. todd
    1:50 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

email them at [email protected]
    I did

39. gocats2010
    1:54 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

36. he’s a card too

40. CT15
    2:05 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

35 these people do not work for UofL, they are just performing a job at UofL. Seeing a Pepsi shirt may make someone want a Pepsi instead of a Coke. Would seeing a UK shirt make someone decide to go to UK instead of UofL? There’s a big difference here, esp since it’s a lot easier to buy a beverage than obtain admittance to a university.

41. buzzard
    2:31 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

# 40 it’s not about what you want to drink, it’s about not showing disrespect to someone who is paying you to do a job. If Abel construction wants to ever get another contract from Loserville, it would be in their best interest to Not piss UofL off. And I can totally understand Able Construction’s position.

If Oscar Combs hired someone to paint his house, it would be in the best interest of the painter to Not show up wearing a UofL hat.

That’s just common sense people.

42. Realistic
    2:37 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

This is not that big of a deal…. It’s a common business practice. Vendors would not wear a Shell shirt to make a visit to one of there BP locations. A lawyer for Pepsi would not be drinking a Coke at a meeting at Pepsi headquarters. It’s just common sense, if you get a huge contract from someone you do not support their competitor at the home location.

43. BigBlue
    2:51 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

These guys need Digger Phelps as their head of HR.

44. blueblood96
    3:00 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I am a carpenter for Abel and we have done work for UK and Western. There are a lot of Cat fans here, this is not a company policy its a Little Brother policy.

45. You Can Call Me Cal
    3:13 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I am a UofL student. They are serving me, so they say. If that is the case, I only want them to wear UK gear. BBN! I’m just glad I’m not on the main Belknap campus having to see that damn cardinal all the time. That thing is a rarity over on the Health-Science Campus. TYG!

46. Mash Davis
    3:18 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Guys, this is standard practice at a lot of companies who do business. It’s not that they are anti UK or anti U of L, it’s a show of respect to the customer. Abel does business with UK, Bellarmine, and yes Daymar College. If Abel was doing the new Rupp renovation, would you want some of their workers wearing U of L or Florida Gator shirts. I’m guessing the answer is no, so let’s just let it go.

Also, #43, my wife used to be head of HR there, and I don’t think she’d like being compared to Digger Phelps, nor as I do.

47. GoBigBlue!!
    3:30 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#8 & #23, the orange & white checkered flag on the tower crane at the UK hospital project was mandated by the FAA, not a TN flag. Go CATS!!!!

48. Ruralvillefan
    3:30 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

It is things like this that make you blind blue- blooded blowpots such an embarrasment to the Commonwealth. I can assure you that if a contractor came in to do the much needed upgrades & construction on “CoRuppt Arena” with Louisville, North Carolina, Duke, or Indiana you all would be screaming for the Governor to take action. Not everyone in KY has drunk the Kool-Aid so give it a rest!

49. cat
    4:02 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I completely understand this rule, you don’t see McDonalds allowing their empoyees to wear their Louisville gear and through their “L”s up.

50. Suz
    4:07 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I Love, Love, Love card fans posting on this site. It always makes my day 🙂

51. TooFunny
    4:16 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Corporate Address: 3401 Bashford Avenue Court, Louisville, KY 40218
    The Blog NEEDS a pic of a UK Flag or Yard-sign….
    🙂

52. Blackhawk
    4:17 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

This is the biggest NON story. Who really cares? Making a mountain out of an ant hill. The prez of Abel is right. He would do the same at UK, IU, Duke, UNC or Madisonville Community College. UK fanatics need to calm down and realize that there isn’t anything to this. Calling and complaining or making a big deal out of this only runs the risk of a UK fan getting fired for something they did because they feel wronged. Free country and a company can tell his/her employees what to wear anytime he/she wants to.

53. UKblue
    4:22 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#44 I’d say your totally correct on that…reckon Little Brother thought to put it in the contract? If not, I’d tell ’em to suck on it…..

54. NostraDanis
    4:23 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

“We at Ab*l Construction” have serious issues with grammar.

55. This Sucks
    4:23 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

non story collages are run like a business now. NO store wants a competitor advertising on the property move on.

56. Matt
    4:39 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

UK has a similar rule written in their construction contracts as well. I’ve seen it firsthand and been a part of it. It’s simple, if you don’t want to obey the rules of the contract (or client) then don’t do work. Construction companies are hard up for money right now so disregarding the rules of a major client like UK or UL would be foolish, unless you hate money. I am a diehard UK fan and take no issue with this complete non-story.

57. Big Blue Coming at You
    5:00 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Where the hell is UL getting money to spend on a new building when they haven’t even paid off the other one yet??

58. bluemanchew
    5:03 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

31.Can UofL actually afford this building or will taxpayers have to foot the bill for this as well …………..you know that they cant afford it taxpayers have pumped loads of money into that sinkhole with crooked contracts like the yum center whose bonds have just been reduced to junk and now the state has to bail them out

59. Glcm485
    5:04 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Actually, it is a story. I love when people give up their rights. U of L, like UK, is a state institution and therefore, cannot go against the constitution (though the federal government does every day, ooops maybe that should be on a different blog). They can mandate that the companies that contract for them abide by all safety regulations, federal and state, but as far as freedom of speech /expression items such as normal work clothing, I believe this would be getting into some denial of constitutional rights. The company could mandate that they only wear U of L gear if they were working on a non government job, but not, a government job, again a denial of constitutional rights. I could make all workers working on my roof wear polka dot pants, but I’m a private citizen, not the government. Just my thoughts with my kmart law degree. GBB!

60. bluemanchew
    5:06 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

also i have done contract work at all the state schools and bellarmine also and only had an issue where it was in a contract from uofl never at any other school

61. Matt
    5:18 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

59 – You are probably correct but I can 100% assure you that this clause was written into a contract between UK and a construction company I used to work for. It was a project at the UK hospital, funded by state dollars and I was the project manager so I knew the contract inside and out. They also mandated that employees working on that particular project could not wear blue jeans. If I remember correctly the line in the contract was in the same paragraph as no offensive images, alcohol logos etc and said something to the effect that “school logos other than UK” may not be worn (something to that effect).

62. bignastycatdunks
    6:02 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been a UK fan my whole life. This is a dumb thing to get worked up about. It’s just good business sense. If you are doing work for an institution that is paying you, don’t be a prat and wear an opposing team’s stuff around the jobsite. I’ve done design work for UK and U of L and was happy to have the business. U of L took it a little more seriously than any school I’ve worked for in Kentucky. Construction crews on each of those jobs were instructed to respect the institution they were working for and keep other team logos off the jobsite. It can be compared to any job related dress code. Violators were occasionally asked to leave the jobsite and return in different attire and if they couldn’t make peace with it, they could go work somewhere else. A local concrete company known for UK logos on their trucks typically does not get U of L jobs. If the tables were flipped, I probably wouldn’t write a check to a company with U of L logos on their trucks for work on UK’s campus. You know all of Lexington would freak out if it happened, as they should.
    …also, the orange and white flags on top of tall cranes are not for UT, but the required warning flag for that type of work. So let’s not freak out about that the next time a crane goes up in Lexington…

63. Sammydog
    7:26 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

The Cardinals are awfully sensitive these days. Trying much too hard to prove they exist. First, they have to have their own Makers Mark bottle and sic Jurich on the distillery to “be fair”. He nagged them to death. We also have billboard battles etc. Bless their little hearts. It hurts to be number 2.

64. Kneel
    7:33 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

That’s the crappiest rendering ive ever seen

65. mores
    7:53 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

59- No. This isn’t even in the ballpark of presenting a constitutional issue. The construction company is nowhere near tied enough to the state government to qualify as a state actor. Even if they did, college sports team associated is not protected speech. It’s so far off that an attorney who tried it in court might risk getting Rule 11 sanctions and a call from the disciplinary committee for frivolity.

66. Law Dog
    9:19 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

@65 you’re 100% correct. People look at our rights and think that it applies to everything. The company, even if a state agency, can set the guidelines for a dress code. Yes you have the right to wear UK stuff if you want and they have the right to dismiss you from their company. But then again #59 did say he had a Kmart Law degree…..seems more like a crackerjack one to me.

67. Jimbo
    9:27 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I work for Abel and am a huge UK fan as I understand they are also workin on the uk campus right now on a soccer stadium an the same rules apply for not wearing u o l stuff on campus do I think it’s a non issue but people should look into the situation it’s a construction company they just like any employer will have fans of sports

68. TypicalKentuckyFan
    10:20 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Let me guess, Kentucky fans will now bombard this company with emails and phone calls expressing their outrage at the injustice. They will write every single sports reporter in America and tell them that rights are being violated and will do everything in their power to create bad press for this company.

#woundtootight #insecure

69. Randal
    10:52 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

The workers should show up to work in their underwear and request from Abel the required clothing.

70. UKSucks
    9:25 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones and everyone at Kentucky Sports Radio are idiots. Great your basketball team won a national championship, good for you. what about the rest of the college sports? all you talk about is UK baskeball, get a life, get off calapari’s nuts for a while. try being good at another sport for a change. by the way, its football season, and UofL is going to crush UK. enjoy your 3-4 win season cats fans. good luck finding a new coach, who would want that job.